Author Topic: Chet Holmgren awareness thread  (Read 8654 times)

Re: Chet Holmgren awareness thread
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2021, 07:18:37 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Trading one of our stars for rookie you can only hope become as good as our stars in 3-5 years only sets this team farther back from winning a title.

No thanks to trading either Jay for any of the top 5 prospects in this draft
these are the same people that would find $100 in the street and instead of considering themselves fortunate to have that $100, run to blow it all on lottery tickets thinking that they'll win so much more.

Wrong Slam. You can see the effect on winning that Brown has. He very good. He's not truly special.

Chet has a chance to be special on both ends. The goal is not to be good, the goal is to win it all and we are not on that path with this current core.

This is exactly what people said about Cade Cunningham last year. “He’s the next Luka, guaranteed superstar, etc. How’s that working out? Certainly doesn’t look like one to me. Holmgren is far from a sure thing, if he was, he would be dominating on both ends and putting up more than 13pts, 6rebs, and 3ast per game. Chet’s not even the number one option on his team.

Jaylen on the other hand is a proven NBA all-star who just turned 25 and is still getting better.  Trading him for a player that isn’t dominating at the college level and isn’t a consensus #1 pick would be a terrible idea. He’s not a Lebron, Duncan, Zion, type of prospect.
Wembenyama, however, is ;)

Idk, he doesn’t seem to be tearing it up overseas. Obviously he’s young, but I feel like Luka and Rubio were doing a lot more at the same age. 
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2021, 07:36:41 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
I really like Holmgren but he has a lot of work to do. He is 7 foot with 7.6 wingspan and a good head for the game. But he's going to have to get stronger.

« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2021, 07:51:56 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Trading one of our stars for rookie you can only hope become as good as our stars in 3-5 years only sets this team farther back from winning a title.

these are the same people that would find $100 in the street and instead of considering themselves fortunate to have that $100, run to blow it all on lottery tickets thinking that they'll win so much more.

Wrong Slam. You can see the effect on winning that Brown has. He very good. He's not truly special.

Chet has a chance to be special on both ends. The goal is not to be good, the goal is to win it all and we are not on that path with this current core.

This is exactly what people said about Cade Cunningham last year. “He’s the next Luka, guaranteed superstar, etc. How’s that working out? Certainly doesn’t look like one to me. Holmgren is far from a sure thing, if he was, he would be dominating on both ends and putting up more than 13pts, 6rebs, and 3ast per game. Chet’s not even the number one option on his team.

Jaylen on the other hand is a proven NBA all-star who just turned 25 and is still getting better.  Trading him for a player that isn’t dominating at the college level and isn’t a consensus #1 pick would be a terrible idea. He’s not a Lebron, Duncan, Zion, type of prospect.

Idk, he doesn’t seem to be tearing it up overseas. Obviously he’s young, but I feel like Luka and Rubio were doing a lot more at the same age.
Guards and a kid who was 7’2 at 16 are incomparable, their developmental arcs are going to be totally different. Did you miss his U18 dominance?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2021, 09:21:03 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Guards and a kid who was 7’2 at 16 are incomparable, their developmental arcs are going to be totally different. Did you miss his U18 dominance?

Yeah, not sold on him or Holmgren. Both are huge question marks at the next level. I don’t care what they did in an U18 tournament.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2021, 09:36:51 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

Yeah, not sold on him or Holmgren. Both are huge question marks at the next level. I don’t care what they did in an U18 tournament.

Holmgren will be able to do some things at the NBA level.

« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2021, 09:39:18 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
He reminds me a bit of Jonathon Bender.

« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2021, 11:28:49 PM »

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
Everytime we talk about prospects, it's a crapshoot.

Sure someone can always be a Giannis, or a Luka, but these are far from sure fire things.  You could probably find an expert say something about every draft class and how one player shows "transcendent talent."

It's not that these kids won't potentially turn into that, it's that nobody knows and if you think someone knows, show me their history of getting 100% of their guesses right on prospects.

« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2021, 11:28:53 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

https://youtu.be/z-GU71xc1oE

This video is great if you want to get to know the kid. He stuffed Steph Curry, then crossed him over and dunked it.

Then Step drains a deep three then compliments the kid on his move.

« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2021, 02:52:44 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

The unique thing about Chet is. I've never seen a kid this skinny who is tough as nails. Really competitive.  Had great coaching.

Hes a sure thing if he's healthy IMO.

« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2021, 09:14:13 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Dude needs to add weight & muscles or he won’t make it
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2021, 03:07:31 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Well he's playing Duke tonight so we can compare him and Banchero side by side.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2021, 03:33:53 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Dang, not until 2:30 AEST - I'll be stuck at work by then!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2021, 11:25:50 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

This is a great game. Paolo is a beast.

« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2021, 11:45:23 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362

Paolo definitely going to go No1 if he plays like this the rest of the season
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2021, 11:54:19 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Paolo definitely going to go No1 if he plays like this the rest of the season

Agreed. Two top 3 picks makes me happy 😊