Author Topic: Celtics G-League  (Read 2095 times)

Celtics G-League
« on: November 22, 2021, 10:32:51 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Any reason why Pritchard, Nesmith, and Fernando are not playing for the Maine Celtics? All 3 seem as though they could use as much game experience as possible. Pritchard and Nesmith both have regressed from last season and they look completely out of sync in the few minutes they have played. Feel like their growth is being stunted sitting on the bench game after game.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 11:11:35 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Re: Celtics G-League
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2021, 11:18:31 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
Fernando has been sent to Maine at least once.  With Brown out, Nesmith and Pritchard were needed for depth.  Meanwhile, Maine has all of two games between over the next 17 days, so it’s not like there’s a ton of reps that they’re missing for being up here.

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2021, 12:12:18 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Fernando has been sent to Maine at least once.  With Brown out, Nesmith and Pritchard were needed for depth.  Meanwhile, Maine has all of two games between over the next 17 days, so it’s not like there’s a ton of reps that they’re missing for being up here.

Even with Brown out, Nesmith was not going to be playing over Richardson, Smart or Langford. There are no minutes for Prichard either with Schroder and Smart at point. So far the Maine team has played 6 games with another 42 to go. That’s a lot of reps that Pritchard, Nesmith and Fernando could really use.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2021, 01:17:00 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

Even with Brown out, Nesmith was not going to be playing over Richardson, Smart or Langford. There are no minutes for Prichard either with Schroder and Smart at point. So far the Maine team has played 6 games with another 42 to go. That’s a lot of reps that Pritchard, Nesmith and Fernando could really use.

Guys get hurt/get sick, etc.  The Celtics have way too many PFs and centers on their roster relative to how they use them in their rotation — 7 roster spots taken up when only 3-4 of them are used when healthy.  Meanwhile, the C’s only have 8 guard/wings on the roster, and 6 are used when healthy.  If one of those 6 are out (as has happened the majority of games this year) there’s no depth behind them but for Pritchard and Nesmith.

Hopefully everyone is healthy this upcoming weekend and one or both of them can go to Westchester instead of Toronto and get two games in while missing little time with the big club.

But given the Maine schedule and the Celtics road-heavy schedule with multiple 3-games in 4 nights stints, there hasn’t been a great opportunity to send them there, since they are getting in some minutes in most games.

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2021, 01:42:53 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Yes, you never know who is going to get injured during a game. That's just one of the downsides of being on the bench as an end of rotation player. You miss out on game reps.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2021, 08:44:04 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
Off topic:

As far as the Red Claws' fan appeal - not resigning Tacko was a huge mistake. He drew in quite a crowd.

I imagine he's a hit with Cleveland Cavaliers and G-League fans.

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2021, 09:06:32 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Off topic:

As far as the Red Claws' fan appeal - not resigning Tacko was a huge mistake. He drew in quite a crowd.

I saw a game on TV the other day.  The gym — which is already quite small — looked like it was at 40% capacity.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2021, 01:15:27 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Yes, you never know who is going to get injured during a game. That's just one of the downsides of being on the bench as an end of rotation player. You miss out on game reps.

I guess anything is possible, but that would require Both Smart and Schroder being out for Pritchard to see minutes and then Richardson and Romeo would need to be out for Nesmith to get time. Just seems highly unlikely for all those guys to be out at the same time.  These are 3rd and 4th string, second year players.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 01:42:27 PM by Goldstar88 »

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2021, 01:30:14 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Off topic:

The Celtics don't make roster decisions based on how it will affect attendance at the minor league club's home.

So, not re-signing Tacko is in no way a mistake, especially when you take into consideration that Tacko's numbers in Cleveland are even more pathetic than his numbers were in Boston.

Love Tacko the human being. Glad Tacko the player is gone.

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2021, 01:30:58 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
With all the b2bs and guys getting nicked up, I bet they’ll all see some nba minutes over the next couple months. Hope it’s enough for them to find the flow.

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2021, 06:44:53 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I agree that it would be nice for them to go to Maine for at least a couple of games. Neither was seeing all that many minutes even with Jaylen 35mpg Brown missing 8 games in a row. Nesmith might as well just wear his sweats and slippers to the games now, as he'll only ever see garbage time.

Pritchard, I feel bad for. Dude was tearing it up all summer and drawing buzz from around the league. Then we signed Schroder at the last second and his guaranteed 20mpg fell to Tacko-time mpg. Of course I love Schroder, but I can see why Pritchard is struggling and am confident he will get back into more of a groove should one of Smart or Schroder goes down for a few games.

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2021, 06:55:12 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
I agree that it would be nice for them to go to Maine for at least a couple of games. Neither was seeing all that many minutes even with Jaylen 35mpg Brown missing 8 games in a row. Nesmith might as well just wear his sweats and slippers to the games now, as he'll only ever see garbage time.

Pritchard, I feel bad for. Dude was tearing it up all summer and drawing buzz from around the league. Then we signed Schroder at the last second and his guaranteed 20mpg fell to Tacko-time mpg. Of course I love Schroder, but I can see why Pritchard is struggling and am confident he will get back into more of a groove should one of Smart or Schroder goes down for a few games.

I feel badly for PP too.  He had a really nice rookie season and good SL.  Someone in the game thread yesterday responded re: PP that teams had figured him out.  But I think your explanation is a good one -- it was the Shröder signing that cost PP the opportunity to work through whatever challenges were going to come his way in his sophomore season.  That's really unfortunate for him. Also of course his value shoots downward.  Not hoping for a DS or MS injury but would like to see PP get some court time.

Re: Nesmith I really think he isn't the 2nd coming of Carsen Edwards but right now I get the CE feel when bricks an open 3.  Glad to see him hit 2 in a row last night but he's really got to get confidence in the long ball.  Maybe G-league will help.

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2021, 07:52:15 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

I feel badly for PP too.  He had a really nice rookie season and good SL.  Someone in the game thread yesterday responded re: PP that teams had figured him out.  But I think your explanation is a good one -- it was the Shröder signing that cost PP the opportunity to work through whatever challenges were going to come his way in his sophomore season.  That's really unfortunate for him. Also of course his value shoots downward.  Not hoping for a DS or MS injury but would like to see PP get some court time.

Re: Nesmith I really think he isn't the 2nd coming of Carsen Edwards but right now I get the CE feel when bricks an open 3.  Glad to see him hit 2 in a row last night but he's really got to get confidence in the long ball.  Maybe G-league will help.

They are only going to get better by playing and that isn’t going to happen unless they are sent down. These are 3rd and 4th string players in their early 20’s. Let them develop/gain confidence and maybe next season they will be able to make the jump that Grant and Romeo made this year.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 11:11:44 PM by Goldstar88 »