Author Topic: Rob Williams stats and play thus far  (Read 7546 times)

Rob Williams stats and play thus far
« on: November 13, 2021, 09:29:18 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/williro04.html

32.1 MPG
10.7 PPG
8.9 RPG...20th in league
47 Offensive Rebounds...5th in league
13.9% OReb%...4th in the league
1.3 APG
1.1 SPG
1.9 BPG...6th in league
21 Blocks...8th in league
5.7% Block%...7th in league
21.3 PER
1.6 WS...19th in league
.221 WS/48...12th in league
111.3 Off Rat
103.2 Def Rat
8.1 Net Rat

Now some fun stuff. He is leading the league in :

74.3% FG%
74.3% eFG%
73.6% TS%
74.3% 2-point FG%

Those are some pretty impressive numbers and corroborates the quality of play and the importance of his presence on the court and for this team that I see in the eye test.

And maybe most importantly, if he improves on these numbers over the next 4 years, which is quite likely if he stays healthy because he only just turned 24, he could be the best bargain contract in the league as he will only be making around/just over full MLE money over the next 4 years.

Timelord might slowly be coming almost untouchable in a trade, much like Jaylen and Jayson have, if he keeps this up. He is this team's center for the present and future. When people talk about the Celtics core players it should be Tatum, Brown and Timelord, not Tatum, Brown and Smart. He is that good now.

Re: Rob Williams stats and play thus far
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2021, 09:47:14 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
He’s been good, not great and I’m a huge fan of the Timelord. See profile pic... considering he’s playing 30+mpg I honestly thought he would be close to leading the league in blocked shots and averaging a double/double. He’s only up 2pts, 2reb and 0.1blk a game over last season, while playing an extra 13mpg. His shooting numbers are going to be super high as virtually all of his shots are dunks and layups.

What I’m impressed with is Rob’s ability to stay on the court and play that many minutes. He seems to be playing more in control/smarter and he’s not getting into foul trouble like he used to. I love watching him play and I expect him to continue to get better. Hope that he stays healthy and a Celtic for a long time.

Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2021, 10:08:42 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
His problem has never been talent. He’s always been impactful on the floor even in limited minutes. His issue is and has been can his body hold up over a longer period of time to be a legit starter caliber big man.

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2021, 10:48:30 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
He’s been good, not great and I’m a huge fan of the Timelord. See profile pic... considering he’s playing 30+mpg I honestly thought he would be close to leading the league in blocked shots and averaging a double/double. He’s only up 2pts, 2reb and 0.1blk a game over last season, while playing an extra 13mpg. His shooting numbers are going to be super high as virtually all of his shots are dunks and layups.

What I’m impressed with is Rob’s ability to stay on the court and play that many minutes. He seems to be playing more in control/smarter and he’s not getting into foul trouble like he used to. I love watching him play and I expect him to continue to get better. Hope that he stays healthy and a Celtic for a long time.

This is how I feel. TP for saying it better.

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2021, 11:06:14 AM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
His problem has never been talent. He’s always been impactful on the floor even in limited minutes. His issue is and has been can his body hold up over a longer period of time to be a legit starter caliber big man.

Yes. It's a question of whether his knees can hold up 30+ minutes per game.

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2021, 11:26:28 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

Really this is more a lesson in expectations than anything Rob is actually doing wrong.

You see this all the time, a guy is averaging 18 minutes a game and everybody thinks if he he starting and playing 36 his stats would just double. But you can't just correct low volume stats to per/36 and expect that output to hold, guys play a different way when they play low minutes vs when they have to pace themselves for the hole game, in part just because of Stamina. But also in part because they can't afford to be as aggressive since the more minutes you play the higher the risk of fouling out. Then there's the fact that there's a big difference between being mostly a back up and playing most of your minutes against other backups vs being a starter and playing other starters. Not only is Rob playing more minutes, he's playing a higher ratio of his minutes against better players this year.

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2021, 12:10:16 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I still fret over his survival ,  but now more on a per game basis ,  I used to worry dang near every time he was on the court .  Good to see him run though 10 games plus and not get hurt .

I’m feeling more comfortable and hope he can manage his body .

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2021, 12:27:59 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
His production per minute is less than expected but glad he is more available.

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2021, 01:06:54 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 89
His minutes are higher than I expected, but his numbers are about where I hoped they’d be. If he can figure out a way to score away from the hoop, a short jumper or hook shot, then he could eventually get up to 14-15 points a game in another year or two, but I think 10 is his ceiling if he’s limited to dunking. He doesn’t get a lot of put backs or foul shots. He usually has a clear path or the defense gets out of his way when he’s airborne.

I thought he’d have a few more assists. He always has at least one really nice pass a game, but I was expecting 2-3 at this point getting the minutes he is.

He still isn’t a great rebounder. With his passing awareness being what it is, I would think his rebound awareness would be better than it seems to be. I hope with more court time and experience that he becomes a double-double machine, because he’s not that far away. With Horford around it would be nice if Rob could average 11-10-3 while Al gets 14-6-5. That’s decent production from the front court for a wing centric team like the Celtics.

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2021, 01:12:45 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I was/am hoping for a stronger interior defensive presence. Teams score too easily inside against us. Also expected a much better defensive rebounding, although that is starting to pick up.

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2021, 02:43:28 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I'd actually like to see more of the offense run through Rob to take advantage of his passing some more. I'm hoping as guys get more comfortable with the new offense, we're going to see more different types of things and that'll include Rob and Al facilitating more. I honestly think they are the two most talented passers on the team.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2021, 05:50:42 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I always thought that would be the trade off if we wanted him to play more minutes for longer. Didn't think he'd be able to play such a dynamic style for 30+MPG night in night out
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2021, 05:25:47 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He has changed his style of play where it is not so high flying, it is clear.

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2021, 11:11:44 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Extending him was probably Brad’s best move.  Injuries will probably always be a concern, but the guy is a legit starting center who at times is dominant.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2021, 05:44:14 PM »

Kiorrik

Extending him was probably Brad’s best move.  Injuries will probably always be a concern, but the guy is a legit starting center who at times is dominant.

2nd in the leagues in offensive rebounds at the moment.

1st in fieldgoal% (lol) true shooting% (well duh) and offensive rating.

10th in win shares, 5th in blocks & blocks per game.

There's a lotta things Rob isn't, but holy barnhouse, he's important to us.

Seems to have taken a page outta Smart's book too, in how he throws himself after balls.

I'm a huge fan.