Author Topic: Here’s why I’m in on Jaylen Brown for Ben Simmons…  (Read 6151 times)

Re: Here’s why I’m in on Jaylen Brown for Ben Simmons…
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2021, 10:06:43 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
1. He is a generational talent and fulfills a need (PG) that is glaring.

2. He can play four positions and is a + defender.

3. We can replace Jaylen with Bradley Beal in free agency.

4. A team outlined below are legitimate contenders and breaks us through the treadmill feeling we’ve all experienced the last decade:

Ben Simmons
Bradley Beal
Jayson Tatum
Al Horford
Robert Williams III

Frankly, I'm not sure of the mental health of Simmons. He may need a sports psychiatrist and is unwilling to see one. The dude is just plain odd. A generational talent? You may have gone overboard in your evaluation...more than just a tad.

Also, I'm not convinced Tatum can even play with Beal. Both take near 23 shots a game, (highest in the NBA) both hit a low percentage. Friendships have a way of disappearing with the accumulation of L's.

All things considered, a healthy Jaylen Brown is the best player on this team.

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2021, 10:07:41 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Just for some clarity.

Simmons is 25 and already has 3 all star, 1 3rd Team All NBA, 2 1st Team all Defense, 1 season with MVP votes (12th), 2 seasons with DPOY votes (2nd and 4th), along with the ROY and 1st team all rookie

Brown is 25 and has just 1 all star, along with 2nd team all rookie

It is pretty easy to focus on Simmons' shooting flaws and his personality and not pay attention to just how good a basketball player he actually is on the floor.  The media and coaches understand how good he is and what he is, which is why they keep voting him onto things.
Just for some clarity

Simmons got almost all those accolades before last season. Simmons game has been stagnant to regressive since his rookie year. Meanwhile, players that started out worse than Simmons from that draft class have improved every year and are now better players than Simmons. I listed some earlier.

The media , coaches and front office guys understand how much his game has stagnated and regressed, know why Simmons isn't valued as high as most of them as a trade asset and know why Philly can't get a player like them in return in a trade. That stagnation and regression is also why Philly wants to trade him.
Last season, Simmons was an all star, 1st team All Defense, finished 2nd in DPOY voting, and finished 12th in MVP voting.  So yeah, you are just wrong on when he received those accolades.  And for the record, he averaged basically 14/7/7 with eFG% of 56 and TS% of 58.4.  Brown has never had an eFG% above 55.8 in a full season (last year) and his career best full season TS% was also last year at 58.6. 

No one should ever mistake Simmons for a scorer or shooter, that is clearly not his game, but he does pretty much everything else on the basketball floor at an above average to elite level, which is why the media and coaches keep voting for him for the all star game and post season teams and awards.

I'm not saying I would trade Brown for Simmons as I'm really not sure what I would do if Philly called and that was the offer straight up with nothing else, but I also think it is a lot closer discussion point than this board wants to recognize.

The other thing to look at is how they perform in the playoffs.   

I would take Simmons as a third star to play PF for the team as long as they have shooting from the C position and more shooting at the PG position.   

I would not take Simmons at the 2nd and only star next to Tatum at this point.
last year, Simmons eFG% in the playoffs was 62.1 his TS% was only 56.2% because of his poor foul shooting (which was obviously a problem).  Brown didn't play in the playoffs last year (and is hurt again, so injuries are obviously a concern with Brown).

For their careers (in the playoffs), Brown's eFG% is 55.1 (his best was 18-19 at 58.6) and his TS% is 57.7 (best was also 18-19 at 62.4).  Simmons has a career 57.1 eFG% (he was 62.1 in each of the last 2 and 48.8 his 1st playoff year) and his TS% 57.5 (best was 62.5 in 18-19). 

Obviously Simmons has had some struggles shooting the basketball, especially at the foul line, and those struggles are often magnified in the post season, but he was still playing elite defense, was rebounding, was passing, etc. 

Simmons also has a better regular season and playoff (both in career and individual seasons) in PER, WS, WS/48, VORP, BPM, and basically any other advanced metric you can look at including things like +-, on/off differential, etc. 

I do agree with you that if Simmons is your 2nd scoring option that probably isn't the place you want to be as he is a terrible scorer, and Boston would clearly need to find a legit 2nd scorer from somewhere, but Simmons also does a lot of things really really well that Brown doesn't do as well (or really well at all, like rebound or pass).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2021, 10:11:32 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
Just for some clarity.

Simmons is 25 and already has 3 all star, 1 3rd Team All NBA, 2 1st Team all Defense, 1 season with MVP votes (12th), 2 seasons with DPOY votes (2nd and 4th), along with the ROY and 1st team all rookie

It is pretty easy to focus on Simmons' shooting flaws and his personality and not pay attention to just how good a basketball player he actually is on the floor.  The media and coaches understand how good he is and what he is, which is why they keep voting him onto things.
Just for some clarity

Simmons got almost all those accolades before last season. Simmons game has been stagnant to regressive since his rookie year. Meanwhile, players that started out worse than Simmons from that draft class have improved every year and are now better players than Simmons. I listed some earlier.

The media , coaches and front office guys understand how much his game has stagnated and regressed, know why Simmons isn't valued as high as most of them as a trade asset and know why Philly can't get a player like them in return in a trade. That stagnation and regression is also why Philly wants to trade him.
Last season, Simmons was an all star, 1st team All Defense, finished 2nd in DPOY voting, and finished 12th in MVP voting.  So yeah, you are just wrong on when he received those accolades.  And for the record, he averaged basically 14/7/7 with eFG% of 56 and TS% of 58.4.  Brown has never had an eFG% above 55.8 in a full season (last year) and his career best full season TS% was also last year at 58.6. 

No one should ever mistake Simmons for a scorer or shooter, that is clearly not his game, but he does pretty much everything else on the basketball floor at an above average to elite level, which is why the media and coaches keep voting for him for the all star game and post season teams and awards.

I'm not saying I would trade Brown for Simmons as I'm really not sure what I would do if Philly called and that was the offer straight up with nothing else, but I also think it is a lot closer discussion point than this board wants to recognize.

It's really not close to a discussion point.  Simmons has alienated his teammates, and not just this summer.  Jimmy Butler is in Miami instead of Philly because of Simmons.  This is not some new problem with him, arising out of a single bad playoff series.  That series is the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back, but just as Simmons hasn't matured in terms of his skills since he was drafted, he's also not matured emotionally.  He disappears from the Sixers coaching staff every summer.  They got a new coach; he did it again.

When Simmons was in the draft I thought his floor was a 6'10" Rondo.  And in a sense that's right, but just as Rondo was an incredible talent in his early 20s (4 consecutive all-star appearances, four straight All-defense honors, and an All-NBA at 25), he let his emotions get in the way of his performance, and that ultimately changed his career trajectory.  (Yes, he had the knee injury, but he physically recovered from that).

There isn't a team out there that should trade a star level player for Simmons.  Ben's problem isn't with the Sixers.  It's with Ben, and to expect to change him is hubris.  Philly is playing very well without him, so they can wait this out a bit -- maybe even up to the deadline -- but again, Philly is playing very well without him, which only further demonstrates how unhelpful Simmons has been on net.

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2021, 10:20:03 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Just for some clarity.

Just for some clarity

So other than a lack of shooting/scoring, a lack of personal integrity and his repeated failure to compete under pressure, he is an elite basketball talent, and we are underestimating this guy.

Got it.

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2021, 10:22:45 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Just for some clarity.

Just for some clarity

It's really not close to a discussion point.  Simmons has alienated his teammates, and not just this summer.  Jimmy Butler is in Miami instead of Philly because of Simmons.  This is not some new problem with him, arising out of a single bad playoff series.  That series is the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back, but just as Simmons hasn't matured in terms of his skills since he was drafted, he's also not matured emotionally.  He disappears from the Sixers coaching staff every summer.  They got a new coach; he did it again.

When Simmons was in the draft I thought his floor was a 6'10" Rondo.  And in a sense that's right, but just as Rondo was an incredible talent in his early 20s (4 consecutive all-star appearances, four straight All-defense honors, and an All-NBA at 25), he let his emotions get in the way of his performance, and that ultimately changed his career trajectory.  (Yes, he had the knee injury, but he physically recovered from that).

There isn't a team out there that should trade a star level player for Simmons.  Ben's problem isn't with the Sixers.  It's with Ben, and to expect to change him is hubris.  Philly is playing very well without him, so they can wait this out a bit -- maybe even up to the deadline -- but again, Philly is playing very well without him, which only further demonstrates how unhelpful Simmons has been on net.
Also, Mo, enough with the eFG% and TS% comparisons. Timelord has better numbers in those areas than Steph Curry, but everyone knows it's foolish to point that out when comparing the two because they have different offensive games.

Same goes for Brown vs Simmons. Simmons is a 6'10" guy that takes 91% of his shots from inside 10' while Brown is a 6'5" SG that is a highly efficient scorer from all three levels. Comparing their eFG% and TS% is foolish because they have such different offensive games, but even then, they're still close which only shines a light on how good Brown is.

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2021, 10:30:44 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
Ben Simmons is a very good basketball player that I do not particularly want on the Celtics, and certainly not at the cost of Jaylen Brown (and change). I would have a hard time being happy about trading him for Marcus Smart, even with Smart's rough opening showing this season.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2021, 10:45:16 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
It is pretty strange that people seem to basing Simmons' entire career on his last playoff series. Sure, he has some maturity issues to address, but it probably does suck being called out by your coach and best player. Most players would have been traded at that point and been excelling on their new team, but PHI continues to hold on to Simmons because he isn't as valued as they thought...I think this is fair, btw; a player doesn't automatically deserve to be traded when he is under contract just because he requested it.

As for Brown for Simmons, straight up - no way. But what if PHI was willing to add in two of Thybulle/Maxey/Curry and a future 1st or two? Not only do we improve our depth, but we improve the assets we have in order to trade for another star. Simmons as the 3rd best player with two clear stars ahead of him would probably be pretty lethal.

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2021, 10:54:37 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Not winning anything swapping Brown for Simmons. 76ers would wallop the C's in the playoffs if they had Brown. The goal should be get 3 and D players around the Jays.

I'd try to land Jerami Grant in a buy low situation right now via Smart, Nesmith/Langford and a first.

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2021, 10:55:38 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Just for some clarity.

Just for some clarity

Also, Mo, enough with the eFG% and TS% comparisons. Timelord has better numbers in those areas than Steph Curry, but everyone knows it's foolish to point that out when comparing the two because they have different offensive games.

Same goes for Brown vs Simmons. Simmons is a 6'10" guy that takes 91% of his shots from inside 10' while Brown is a 6'5" SG that is a highly efficient scorer from all three levels. Comparing their eFG% and TS% is foolish because they have such different offensive games, but even then, they're still close which only shines a light on how good Brown is.
Then stop holding Simmons to the same standard.  He isn't a shooter, stop acting like he is.

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2021, 11:01:42 AM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Brown has more worth than Simmons. Simmons shrinking in big games and hating to play under the  microscope would also guarantee he would stop playing in Boston and demand a trade. He needs to go to a market like Sacramento or Minnesota. Can you imagine the scrutiny Boston media and fans would give Simmons in Boston? It would make the Kyrie fiasco seem like a day at the beach.

Brown should and could net more than a Simmons if that is truly the path but I would rather we keep them together and come up with a game plan to make it work.

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2021, 11:17:57 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
It is pretty strange that people seem to basing Simmons' entire career on his last playoff series. Sure, he has some maturity issues to address, but it probably does suck being called out by your coach and best player. Most players would have been traded at that point and been excelling on their new team, but PHI continues to hold on to Simmons because he isn't as valued as they thought...I think this is fair, btw; a player doesn't automatically deserve to be traded when he is under contract just because he requested it.

As for Brown for Simmons, straight up - no way. But what if PHI was willing to add in two of Thybulle/Maxey/Curry and a future 1st or two? Not only do we improve our depth, but we improve the assets we have in order to trade for another star. Simmons as the 3rd best player with two clear stars ahead of him would probably be pretty lethal.
Brown would still be the best player in that trade.  Depth might improve a bit but so what?  You win in the NBA with star/elite players.

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2021, 01:15:46 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Brown would still be the best player in that trade.  Depth might improve a bit but so what?  You win in the NBA with star/elite players.

Hey, I'm a huge Brown fan, so I am not looking to trade him, but I am not going to pretend Simmons doesn't have more accolades to his name than Brown. Does that make Simmons better than Brown? Nope. But it isn't like we would be trading Brown for somebody definitely worse. In fact, it's entirely possible Simmons blossoms in a new environment and surpasses Brown once again. And getting all of those other pieces would just be icing on the cake.

All I am saying is people's last (and seemingly, only) impression of Simmons is that he is a weak, cowardly, overpaid player who can't shoot. When if Philly had just dealt him to another team this summer, he very likely would be playing at an All-Star level and everybody would have gotten over it. PHI is doing a great job at tanking their asset and Simmons is doing a great job at tanking himself.

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2021, 01:41:06 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Hey, I'm a huge Brown fan, so I am not looking to trade him, but I am not going to pretend Simmons doesn't have more accolades to his name than Brown. Does that make Simmons better than Brown? Nope. But it isn't like we would be trading Brown for somebody definitely worse. In fact, it's entirely possible Simmons blossoms in a new environment and surpasses Brown once again. And getting all of those other pieces would just be icing on the cake.

All I am saying is people's last (and seemingly, only) impression of Simmons is that he is a weak, cowardly, overpaid player who can't shoot. When if Philly had just dealt him to another team this summer, he very likely would be playing at an All-Star level and everybody would have gotten over it. PHI is doing a great job at tanking their asset and Simmons is doing a great job at tanking himself.
As many know on here, I don't actually think Brown is nearly as valuable as most of this board.  I fully expect Boston to once again have a better record over the week or two that he is out then when he was actually playing, because I don't actually think Tatum and Brown fit all that well together and Brown just isn't as good as Tatum.  Tatum just plays better without Brown and the secondary players all have more action and play better as well.  I also think Simmons play making would be a huge bonus for not just Tatum but the rest of the team.  My hesitation on trading Brown for Simmons though would be there isn't anyone else that can consistently score on the roster.  So I'd really like to see a second trade that brings a better scorer to the team.  If Boston could some how swing that, then I'd be fine trading Brown for Simmons straight up.  I would be very hesitant to do it without a 2nd scorer though. 

So like if Boston could do something like this

Smart, Nesmith, Langford, Hernangomez, 22 1st, 24 1st, swap 23 1st for McCollum

then I'd probably be ok trading just Brown for Simmons straight up

Starters - Schroder, McCollum, Tatum, Simmons, Horford
Main Bench - Pritchard, Richardson, G. Williams, R. Williams
Deep Bench - Parker, Kanter, Fernando, Thomas (TW), Hauser (TW)

3 open roster spots for buy out/free agent market

« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2021, 01:51:48 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
1. He is a generational talent ...

You lost me after 5 words.

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2021, 02:00:25 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Just for some clarity.

Just for some clarity

Then stop holding Simmons to the same standard.  He isn't a shooter, stop acting like he is.
Where did I ever say, act like or even mention Simmons shooting? I said his game stagnated and regressed and that players in his draft class got better every year and are now better than him. So maybe you should be telling someone else to act like Simmons isn't a shooter.

Reading over the thread, the first and one of the only ones mentioning shooting and shooting percentages was YOU!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 07:02:21 PM by nickagneta »