Author Topic: Celtics (3-5) at Heat (6-1) Game #9 11/4/21  (Read 31734 times)

Re: Celtics (3-5) at Heat (6-1) Game #9 11/4/21
« Reply #645 on: November 04, 2021, 11:26:13 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
Grant stills needs work.  Not good tonight.

grant doesn’t have the lateral movement to excel against quicker teams with ball movement offenses.

I think Grant can match up with Bam as they've played against each other for a long time or something. Grant  was the worst player tonight though.

Disagree. He doesn’t really matchup well with anyone.
So Celtics win big, on the road, in the 2nd game of a back to back, against the best team in the conference, while having an amazing defensive performance for the second straight game and you guys  want to talk about how bad Grant is?

Okay....

Everyone else looked really good! ::)

Everyone else was a plus!

You didn't even watch the game!!! ;D
I know I didn't. I was just reading through the last bunch of pages to get a feel for what happened then saw this string complaining about Grant's play.

Thought it strange and a bit out of place. But hey, you guys do you.

It was a love fest all night!!! LOL  ::)

« Reply #646 on: November 04, 2021, 11:41:46 PM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282
Tatum just doesn’t look like he’s having any fun out there

This would be a huge concern if it is a long-term issue.

Maybe he is just a quiet, polite kid with ridiculous amounts of basketball talent who fell into an opportunity his rookie year in the playoffs and ever since, has found himself way in over his head with the other demands of being the best player for the most storied franchise in history. He is just not constructed mentally or emotionally to thrive in that role on such a big stage and it is taking a toll.

I think he’s just in a funk. Not buying any of that other stuff. He was incredible last year and had no problem being “the guy” on the team. Quite a few of the player that were on the Olympic team are struggling Mightily. Tatum, Booker, Lillard, Middleton, Jeremiah Grant.

Totally with you on that point. He is unsatisfied with his game, frustrated with team results (in which his bad game is a big part) and maybe tuched by critics. He will rebound, he did very well last year despite COVID, internal dramas and already critics. I am OK with criticising and doubting about this year squad, about Ime abilities, but Tatum already prooved a lot and each time  many are jumping on the "Tatum is not a leader", "Tatum take too much weight", "Tatum is a 3rd option" lyrics... He will show us one more time we are wrong. But I agree he must reacts sooner than later.
For the fact he isn't a leader, many told the same about Booker until last year. For the fact he is a new Melo, I think the biggest reproach made to Melo is his defense, where Tatum is quiet good at. So if he becomes a prime Melo with good defense, give me the pen to sign.

Whatever, I am happy we beat a good team without a good Tatum and with a bench that overplayed their. Hope also to see this kind of defense in the next matche until our attac is rolling better (if hopefully Udoka organise it better).

« Reply #647 on: November 04, 2021, 11:42:31 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479

grant doesn’t have the lateral movement to excel against quicker teams with ball movement offenses.

I think Grant can match up with Bam as they've played against each other for a long time or something. Grant  was the worst player tonight though.

So Celtics win big, on the road, in the 2nd game of a back to back, against the best team in the conference, while having an amazing defensive performance for the second straight game and you guys  want to talk about how bad Grant is?

Okay....

I know I didn't. I was just reading through the last bunch of pages to get a feel for what happened then saw this string complaining about Grant's play.

its about time!!!!
3 in a row at Dallas, who is with me?

« Reply #648 on: November 04, 2021, 11:45:54 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176

Okay....

its about time!!!!
3 in a row at Dallas, who is with me?

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

« Reply #649 on: November 05, 2021, 12:32:47 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Had to step out at halftime to go to dinner, very pleased to come back and find out that we held on to the lead! Late TPs for everyone!!
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #650 on: November 05, 2021, 06:58:03 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I doubt we get that bench production every night, but if we do we could make some noise...

« Reply #651 on: November 05, 2021, 08:30:06 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Tatum just doesn’t look like he’s having any fun out there

This would be a huge concern if it is a long-term issue.

Maybe he is just a quiet, polite kid with ridiculous amounts of basketball talent who fell into an opportunity his rookie year in the playoffs and ever since, has found himself way in over his head with the other demands of being the best player for the most storied franchise in history. He is just not constructed mentally or emotionally to thrive in that role on such a big stage and it is taking a toll.

I think he’s just in a funk. Not buying any of that other stuff. He was incredible last year and had no problem being “the guy” on the team. Quite a few of the player that were on the Olympic team are struggling Mightily. Tatum, Booker, Lillard, Middleton, Jeremiah Grant.

Totally with you on that point. He is unsatisfied with his game, frustrated with team results (in which his bad game is a big part) and maybe tuched by critics. He will rebound, he did very well last year despite COVID, internal dramas and already critics. I am OK with criticising and doubting about this year squad, about Ime abilities, but Tatum already prooved a lot and each time  many are jumping on the "Tatum is not a leader", "Tatum take too much weight", "Tatum is a 3rd option" lyrics... He will show us one more time we are wrong. But I agree he must reacts sooner than later.
For the fact he isn't a leader, many told the same about Booker until last year. For the fact he is a new Melo, I think the biggest reproach made to Melo is his defense, where Tatum is quiet good at. So if he becomes a prime Melo with good defense, give me the pen to sign.

Whatever, I am happy we beat a good team without a good Tatum and with a bench that overplayed their. Hope also to see this kind of defense in the next matche until our attac is rolling better (if hopefully Udoka organise it better).

Tatum really is trying to change his game a lot. I keep reminding myself he’s had slow starts before, and took him some time to grow his game in the past. He’s also seeing so much attention from the D every night. Gotta hope he’s going to figure this out, but it could take half the season or more…

« Reply #652 on: November 05, 2021, 09:08:49 AM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
I really was impressed with the way Tatum played last night. Sure he shot it poorly, but that happens. He moved the ball incredibly well and took the right shots. If Tatum continues to play this way we are going to be very good. His shooting numbers will recover I am not worried about that.

On the flip side, I was still a little disappointed in how much Jaylen continued to rely on ISO from the top of the arch. This was just merely eye test, but it seemed to me like Tatum heard Smart's comments and attempted to fix it while Brown relied on his old ways.

« Reply #653 on: November 05, 2021, 09:57:11 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Hope this gets Romeo and Aaron regular rotation minutes. Tatum and Brown presence on court create so many open 3s.

« Reply #654 on: November 05, 2021, 10:36:24 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
That was a fun game, best team basketball we've played in quite a while..
Also glad to see our bench getting impactful minutes. Hopefully we see More Nesmith and co going forward.

« Reply #655 on: November 05, 2021, 12:04:37 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
We need Jaylen Brown to do what he did to Tyler Herro in the third last night more. We need a bit of nasty. We need a bit of bully defensive. Not dirty or showy. We just need him to be aggressive with his defense at the point of attack. The team feeds off of that.

Marcus Smart just isn't fast enough to do that consistently on the perimeter, but there are few guys who can feed off of the kind of havoc that is created with aggressive on-ball play (by a guy like Brown) like Smart. When Brown is aggressive (or Schroeder or Richardson) on ball, it makes the entire defense better. Smart can rotate for charges. Tatum can play passing lanes. Williams and Horford can use their length to get blocks.

If Brown gave us 18-20 points a game with that level defense on most plays, we might be a better overall team.

« Reply #656 on: November 05, 2021, 04:34:01 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
We need Jaylen Brown to do what he did to Tyler Herro in the third last night more. We need a bit of nasty. We need a bit of bully defensive. Not dirty or showy. We just need him to be aggressive with his defense at the point of attack. The team feeds off of that.

Marcus Smart just isn't fast enough to do that consistently on the perimeter, but there are few guys who can feed off of the kind of havoc that is created with aggressive on-ball play (by a guy like Brown) like Smart. When Brown is aggressive (or Schroeder or Richardson) on ball, it makes the entire defense better. Smart can rotate for charges. Tatum can play passing lanes. Williams and Horford can use their length to get blocks.

If Brown gave us 18-20 points a game with that level defense on most plays, we might be a better overall team.

I agree  on Smart, and Brown was solid last night, but he did really well.   What we need now is for Tatum to get his head out of arse and get better and then, maybe then we can fire on all cylinders....

I think Tatum is trying too hard to draw contact folks.   He is making contact with his shoulders and he loses his balance and handle on the contact.    He should play his normal game and play through contact instead of what he is doing....

« Reply #657 on: November 05, 2021, 05:22:23 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
I ain't worried about Tatum, he's a traditional slow starter...We're looking like a team now--and Ime has figured a couple of things out, I hope.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.