Author Topic: I need to relax and wait for the 20 game rule!  (Read 13007 times)

Re: I need to relax and wait for the 20 game rule!
« Reply #75 on: November 23, 2021, 04:22:27 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
It's amazing how much better the team looks when Tatum is playing like Tatum, huh?

I wish we had one more shooter, but we're back looking like we could be a top-4 team in the East.
I think having both Jays available and both back to their +40% from three rates will make a huge difference.

But like you said, one more good outside shooter, a role player in the mold of Seth Curry, Joe Harris or Joe Ingles, would make a huge difference.

I wonder if Grant Williams can be that guy? If they give him 6-7 3PTAs, could he still keep up his 42-43% 3PT% and do so for many more years? If so, that would be a major get for this team's bench.

If not, who are good or likely UFAs or trade targets that can be added to the team to fill that outside shooting void? Or do we just have to hope Pritchard, Romeo or Nesmith grows into a player like that?

The easiest path to getting that shooter is Grant maintaining what he’s doing, on maybe 1/3 more attempts.  He’s currently 17th in the league in 3P%.

A guy I’d be interested in is Cedi Osman of Cleveland.  Depends if the Cavs keep winning or are an early-season fluke, so the deadline will tell us more.  (His stats almost might be an early season fluke).  He’s cost-controlled for a couple more seasons.

« Reply #76 on: November 23, 2021, 04:23:39 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
It's amazing how much better the team looks when Tatum is playing like Tatum, huh?

I wish we had one more shooter, but we're back looking like we could be a top-4 team in the East.
I think having both Jays available and both back to their +40% from three rates will make a huge difference.

But like you said, one more good outside shooter, a role player in the mold of Seth Curry, Joe Harris or Joe Ingles, would make a huge difference.

I wonder if Grant Williams can be that guy? If they give him 6-7 3PTAs, could he still keep up his 42-43% 3PT% and do so for many more years? If so, that would be a major get for this team's bench.

If not, who are good or likely UFAs or trade targets that can be added to the team to fill that outside shooting void? Or do we just have to hope Pritchard, Romeo or Nesmith grows into a player like that?

Yeah, this was the Grant Williams I was hoping for last year. He's an excellent role player, and he keeps perfecting his craft to get better and better at the role he plays next to the Jays.

I'd like to see what the Jays look like together. I feel like the best iteration of this team moves Schroeder up in the rotation and finds another scorer that can carry the bench for stretches. It doesn't need to be a guy that can put up 30, but I think we are seeing that we cannot rely on Nesmith, Langford, Williams, or Pritchard to be an offensive creator in stretches off the bench -- at least not yet.

Guys on bottom-feeder teams that could be that would be Eric Gordon, Derrick White, or Devonte Graham. You'd want someone that doesn't mind being the offensive focal point for 15-20 minutes a game while the Jays are mostly out. I'm looking for irrational confidence guys that could thrive in a role where they are the alpha on the court. This is how the Jazz developed Jordan Clarkson.

« Reply #77 on: November 23, 2021, 05:07:40 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

Yeah, this was the Grant Williams I was hoping for last year. He's an excellent role player, and he keeps perfecting his craft to get better and better at the role he plays next to the Jays.

I'd like to see what the Jays look like together. I feel like the best iteration of this team moves Schroeder up in the rotation and finds another scorer that can carry the bench for stretches. It doesn't need to be a guy that can put up 30, but I think we are seeing that we cannot rely on Nesmith, Langford, Williams, or Pritchard to be an offensive creator in stretches off the bench -- at least not yet.

Guys on bottom-feeder teams that could be that would be Eric Gordon, Derrick White, or Devonte Graham. You'd want someone that doesn't mind being the offensive focal point for 15-20 minutes a game while the Jays are mostly out. I'm looking for irrational confidence guys that could thrive in a role where they are the alpha on the court. This is how the Jazz developed Jordan Clarkson.

Honestly, I think this describes Schroeder very well.  He likes being the Alpha, but it'd be best if he went Alpha when Tatum and/or Brown are not on the court, and is exactly why I'd like him in a 6th man role.  (That and he's less likely to be picked on defensively).

« Reply #78 on: November 23, 2021, 05:31:45 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Honestly, I think this describes Schroeder very well.  He likes being the Alpha, but it'd be best if he went Alpha when Tatum and/or Brown are not on the court, and is exactly why I'd like him in a 6th man role.  (That and he's less likely to be picked on defensively).
Man if Dennis falls in love with Boston and Brad can offer him a full 4 year MLE deal and the team can operate under the hard cap for a year and Schröder accepted it, that is a best case scenario.

Sadly, chances are that doesn't happen.

« Reply #79 on: November 23, 2021, 05:42:28 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

Man if Dennis falls in love with Boston and Brad can offer him a full 4 year MLE deal and the team can operate under the hard cap for a year and Schröder accepted it, that is a best case scenario.

Sadly, chances are that doesn't happen.

Yeah, Schröder is way too Alpha to go for a 4-year MLE.  But if we stay under the hard cap, a 1+1 MLE would give us Early Bird rights, Schröder a no-trade clause, injury insurance, and the opportunity to sign for up to around $80 million over 4 years the following offseason.  Not sure if I’d file it as “likely”, but it’s certainly more possible than him signing a 4-year MLE.

« Reply #80 on: November 23, 2021, 05:53:29 PM »

Kiorrik

4 years is a long time for a guy that relies 90% on insane explosive speed for his points.

« Reply #81 on: November 23, 2021, 05:56:25 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
4 years is a long time for a guy that relies 90% on insane explosive speed for his points.

Sure, but it helps that a new media deal could come into effect after the first year of it, making such a deal more relatively affordable.

« Reply #82 on: November 23, 2021, 06:03:07 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618

Teams LOAD UP on J's. I trust Denis one-on-one with anyone...
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #83 on: November 23, 2021, 06:58:58 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Sure, but it helps that a new media deal could come into effect after the first year of it, making such a deal more relatively affordable.
Bingo. It was like Avery Bradley's first post rookie deal. People on this site went bananas saying it was a massive overpay. But then the new TV deals hit and suddenly that Avery Bradley deal looked like a massive bargain.

« Reply #84 on: November 23, 2021, 10:55:33 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177

Terrence Ross is having a down year shooting so far and can't be in the Magic's plans going forward. He can be moved into our trade exception. Who do you dump to get him? Bruno, Hernangomez, Parker?

Hernangomez would obviously be the guy who’s dumped in that scenario, but Ross is owed money next year too, and I wouldn’t do that deal without some additional compensation.  We’d be doing the Magic a favor to help them create an extra $11 million in cap space next year when they’re already one of the few teams with meaningful cap room.  Getting Ross now might cost you Schröder next year, and Ross would be at most the Celtics 9th man this season if he passed Romeo in the rotation, but more likely a 10th man.

Wouldn't Ross be an expiring contract this summer? Maybe not so hard to hard to move if needs be,

« Reply #85 on: November 23, 2021, 10:59:34 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

Terrence Ross is having a down year shooting so far and can't be in the Magic's plans going forward. He can be moved into our trade exception. Who do you dump to get him? Bruno, Hernangomez, Parker?

Hernangomez would obviously be the guy who’s dumped in that scenario, but Ross is owed money next year too, and I wouldn’t do that deal without some additional compensation.  We’d be doing the Magic a favor to help them create an extra $11 million in cap space next year when they’re already one of the few teams with meaningful cap room.  Getting Ross now might cost you Schröder next year, and Ross would be at most the Celtics 9th man this season if he passed Romeo in the rotation, but more likely a 10th man.

Wouldn't Ross be an expiring contract this summer? Maybe not so hard to hard to move if needs be,

So few teams have cap space that I don’t think there’s a team who would want to use it on him.  It would almost have to cost something to move him, just because those teams who could take him would have so many other choices.

« Reply #86 on: November 24, 2021, 03:23:21 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I need to relax a little and give the coach and the team more of a chance.  I had my expectations too high to strart the season. It was always going to be a long year. I foolishly expected the Celtics and Coach Ime to hit the ground running against a softer NBA schedule. I need to wait until at least game 20-30 in to see how this team can come together.

Go Celtics.

Liam when you posted this the team was 2-3. Since then they have gone 10-5, with 2 games to go to the 20. Curious to see how your, and other people's, opinions on the team may have changed. Or did they change?
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #87 on: November 24, 2021, 05:21:48 PM »

Kiorrik

I need to relax a little and give the coach and the team more of a chance.  I had my expectations too high to strart the season. It was always going to be a long year. I foolishly expected the Celtics and Coach Ime to hit the ground running against a softer NBA schedule. I need to wait until at least game 20-30 in to see how this team can come together.

Go Celtics.

Liam when you posted this the team was 2-3. Since then they have gone 10-5, with 2 games to go to the 20. Curious to see how your, and other people's, opinions on the team may have changed. Or did they change?

I have to second this. I've opened the topic multiple times to see if you've changed your tune at all Liam hahahaha :D

« Reply #88 on: November 24, 2021, 05:42:19 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479

Go Celtics.

I have to second this. I've opened the topic multiple times to see if you've changed your tune at all Liam hahahaha :D

we need to at least give Liam until 20 games, come on!  lol  and who knows, if we drop the next two by double digits and are at 10-10 it probably puts a bit of a damper on the 'we've completely turned it around' crowd.  the game vs the nets should be a pretty good measuring stick.  Nets are playing well without Kyrie and are in 1st place right now.  If we can beat them today it would be big.

« Reply #89 on: November 24, 2021, 05:47:11 PM »

Kiorrik

Go Celtics.

we need to at least give Liam until 20 games, come on!  lol  and who knows, if we drop the next two by double digits and are at 10-10 it probably puts a bit of a damper on the 'we've completely turned it around' crowd.  the game vs the nets should be a pretty good measuring stick.  Nets are playing well without Kyrie and are in 1st place right now.  If we can beat them today it would be big.

Oh yeah for sure - but we want to see the PROCESS - not just the outcome :D