Author Topic: I need to relax and wait for the 20 game rule!  (Read 12986 times)

Re: I need to relax and wait for the 20 game rule!
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2021, 04:13:54 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I agree, and I need to do the same, though I think it's also true that they need to put forth better effort. Shouldn't be losing to the Wizards at home, especially when their best player goes 7-for-25/0-for-6.

I think that there are things you can judge.  Effort is one of them.  Roster construction is probably another one that you can at least talk about early, with the recognition that things can change.  And, I think management decisions can be discussed.  Extending Josh Richardson.  Whether it made sense to salary dump Kemba in a season we're unlikely to be contenders.  Whether we're missing certain elements.
That lost draft pick is banging around inside my head these last few days. A wasted future asset / rotation player for a short term band aid in Horford.
I called him our Rick Pitino of the 2020s right after the trade and I still stand by it. It's only compounded by us having an Ole Gunnar Solskjaer though >:( :'(
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2021, 04:18:40 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523
Like others I’m disappointed at the start, but I can’t give up on a season this early.  We waited for the 20-21 C’s to find their identity and gel - and they didn’t.  That doesn’t mean this Celtics iteration won’t.  I wouldn’t bet on the C’s turning it around and becoming a contender, but certainly not giving up.  Roster is still interesting and moves can still be made.

Not picking on you, NG, but your comment just prompted my thinking: When are the Celtics supposed to become contenders? And I mean that seriously. Like, last season was supposed to be a lot better than it was, and that just never materialized, so some people started saying, "This is a bridge year; just wait until next season!" And now we already have people saying that this season is not about contention, they didn't even expect the Cs to crack the top 4 in the East this year, etc. ... so I'm just a bit flummoxed as to the predicted/expected timeline.

I understand that even the best players sometimes don't even reach the NBA Finals until their sixth, seventh, eighth year, so by that measure the Cs w/Tatum and Brown still have plenty of time. On the other hand, the Cs made the East finals three times in a four-year stretch not long ago, so expectations have been understandably raised.

I don't know, maybe I'm just impatient, but Danny's "fleecing of the Nets" was nine years ago, and yes, Boston has two rising stars who came from that haul, but to still be talking about "bridge years" (plural) this far along is a bit discouraging.
It’s frustrating but such is life in the NBA.  If you aren’t LAL or Miami/NY (to a lesser extent) you’ve got to have crazy patience. NBA success is so influenced by top tier players and most of them don’t want to play for small market or cold weather teams.  C’s did well to attract a few 2nd tier stars and draft a couple of 2nd tier stars, but either we get that 3rd star or one of the Jays leaps into elite territory. I think the hope that Jayson might take that leap has led people to high hopes for this season.  Hasn’t shown that yet.  So my hope rests in what Ime can do to inspire this pretty talented group and what Brad can do to bring that 3rd star here without losing one of the other 2.

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2021, 05:22:44 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Like others I’m disappointed at the start, but I can’t give up on a season this early.  We waited for the 20-21 C’s to find their identity and gel - and they didn’t.  That doesn’t mean this Celtics iteration won’t.  I wouldn’t bet on the C’s turning it around and becoming a contender, but certainly not giving up.  Roster is still interesting and moves can still be made.

Not picking on you, NG, but your comment just prompted my thinking: When are the Celtics supposed to become contenders? And I mean that seriously. Like, last season was supposed to be a lot better than it was, and that just never materialized, so some people started saying, "This is a bridge year; just wait until next season!" And now we already have people saying that this season is not about contention, they didn't even expect the Cs to crack the top 4 in the East this year, etc. ... so I'm just a bit flummoxed as to the predicted/expected timeline.

I understand that even the best players sometimes don't even reach the NBA Finals until their sixth, seventh, eighth year, so by that measure the Cs w/Tatum and Brown still have plenty of time. On the other hand, the Cs made the East finals three times in a four-year stretch not long ago, so expectations have been understandably raised.

I don't know, maybe I'm just impatient, but Danny's "fleecing of the Nets" was nine years ago, and yes, Boston has two rising stars who came from that haul, but to still be talking about "bridge years" (plural) this far along is a bit discouraging.
It’s frustrating but such is life in the NBA.  If you aren’t LAL or Miami/NY (to a lesser extent) you’ve got to have crazy patience. NBA success is so influenced by top tier players and most of them don’t want to play for small market or cold weather teams.  C’s did well to attract a few 2nd tier stars and draft a couple of 2nd tier stars, but either we get that 3rd star or one of the Jays leaps into elite territory. I think the hope that Jayson might take that leap has led people to high hopes for this season.  Hasn’t shown that yet.  So my hope rests in what Ime can do to inspire this pretty talented group and what Brad can do to bring that 3rd star here without losing one of the other 2.

You're right on the money. I only wish the reality of the NBA landscape was otherwise.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2021, 03:45:40 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I need to relax a little and give the coach and the team more of a chance.  I had my expectations too high to strart the season. It was always going to be a long year. I foolishly expected the Celtics and Coach Ime to hit the ground running against a softer NBA schedule. I need to wait until at least game 20-30 in to see how this team can come together.

Go Celtics.

I have a 2 month rule myself  ;D

But also my expectations were very low going into the season. New coach, no third scorer, questions on whether Langford and Nesmith would make their breakthroughs, and concerns on Al's durability. Right now they're right where I expected them to be, around the .500 mark. I do expect them to get better though.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2021, 10:04:15 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Gonna bump this thread and hide.

« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2021, 10:07:49 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
Love the attitude Liam though I know you posted this before tonight’s loss. I’m not sure I have it in me to be level headed with this team.

« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2021, 10:31:19 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
We don’t need 20 games.  This team is broken.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2021, 10:42:51 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
Love the attitude Liam though I know you posted this before tonight’s loss. I’m not sure I have it in me to be level headed with this team.

Liam's losing it!!!!

« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2021, 10:43:40 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998

7 game sample is all you need. This team will be a sub .500 team, lucky to be in the play-in rounds.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2021, 10:48:03 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Pritchard played 7 minutes and was a +8 but never came back. Is Parker hurt? You need a bucket and a rebound but Kanter and Parker don't play! The defense couldn't have been any worse. The Bulls scored 39 in the 4th but the Celtics could only put up 11. Celtics got killed on the boards and didn't defend or score. Here come The Magic!!!

« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2021, 10:48:36 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479

yup, zero leadership from the coaches and zero fight from our players.

« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2021, 10:50:24 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson

Liam's losing it!!!!

George is getting angry!!

« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2021, 10:55:35 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Liam's losing it!!!!

EXACTLY!!!!!

« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2021, 10:58:57 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson

Liam's losing it!!!!

EXACTLY!!!!!

I thought a bit of humor might help, but I am still mad lol

« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2021, 10:59:39 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Liam's losing it!!!!

EXACTLY!!!!!

I thought a bit of humor might help, but I am still mad lol

Me too!