Author Topic: Why did we extend Josh Richardson?  (Read 20130 times)

Re: Why did we extend Josh Richardson?
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2021, 10:58:06 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
We're passing judgment on him after 4 games?

The judgment is giving an extension to an unseen, declining player.
Is he really declining?  His TS% last year was the best it had been in 3 years.  TRB% and STL% best in 3 years.  TOV% lower than the prior year.  All of his WS numbers were better last year than the year before.  His total number of shots has been declining (and he certainly had the ball in his hand less on teams with Simmons and Doncic than prior seasons), but he is scoring roughly the same amount of points per shot.  You keep saying he is declining, but that isn't actually borne out of the numbers.  He has been a very similar player over the last 3 seasons and given he is just 28, there is no reason to think he won't continue producing at a similar level.

He’s gone from a starter to a fringe rotation player.  That matters.  Good players tend to get more minutes, more shot attempts, etc.

16.6 ppg -> 13.7 -> 12.1 -> 6.3 ppg

3.2 FTAs -> 2.6 -> 1.8 -> 0.0

37.8% 3PT% -> 35.7% -> 34.1% -> 33.0%

And, his production is in decline, despite being matched up more against bench players.

It’s fair to wait and see.  Extend and see is much riskier.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 11:06:30 AM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2021, 11:10:45 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I understand why we got him, I don't understand why we extended him at all

« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2021, 11:17:26 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Trade bait
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2021, 11:18:28 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548

Is he really declining?  His TS% last year was the best it had been in 3 years.  TRB% and STL% best in 3 years.  TOV% lower than the prior year.  All of his WS numbers were better last year than the year before.  His total number of shots has been declining (and he certainly had the ball in his hand less on teams with Simmons and Doncic than prior seasons), but he is scoring roughly the same amount of points per shot.  You keep saying he is declining, but that isn't actually borne out of the numbers.  He has been a very similar player over the last 3 seasons and given he is just 28, there is no reason to think he won't continue producing at a similar level.

He’s gone from a starter to a fringe rotation player.  That matters.  Good players tend to get more minutes, more shot attempts, etc.

16.6 ppg -> 13.7 -> 12.1 -> 6.3 ppg

3.2 FTAs -> 2.6 -> 1.8 -> 0.0

37.8% 3PT% -> 35.7% -> 34.1% -> 33.0%

And, his production is in decline, despite being matched up more against bench players.

It’s fair to wait and see.  Extend and see is much riskier.
I'm not counting this year because he was extended before the season started, but here are some other numbers you didn't mention

2PT% - 45.8 -> 48.6 -> 50.1

FT% - 86.1 -> 80.9 -> 91.7

eFG% - 49.2 -> 49.6 -> 49.8

TS% - 53.6 -> 53.3 -> 53.7

RPG (TRB%) - 3.6 (5.5) -> 3.2 (5.7) -> 3.3 (6.0)

Doesn't look like a player that is declining at all.  Looks like a player that has been moving around teams and having his role changed and adjusting to other teammates, but one that has performed pretty much the same over those 3 different seasons and 3 different teams i.e. Miami to Philly to Dallas. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2021, 11:18:40 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
to trade him in the summer

« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2021, 11:33:08 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

And it is not like the Celtics are going to have cap room next summer either way.   

So the team bet on being able to get the best out of Richardson and extended him so he could be trade filler in the summer.   They extended the time they can use him for that purpose.   

« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2021, 11:36:05 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I can buy that.  I wonder if they have anything in particular in mind.

« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2021, 11:41:10 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Because I don't think the team is making any major moves this year, they wanted to have his contract available for a trade over the summer, when a major move will be more likely to happen. 

I do think it really is that simple.  They just wanted the trade ability over the summer. 

And it won't take much more than moving Hernangomez for no salary to get below the luxury tax.  I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Boston move him in a salary dump at some point this season, depending on how the season is going.  You know something like Hernangomez, Fernando, 1st round pick for a 2nd round pick.  Something like that.  Below the tax.

Lol - if we trade a 1st rounder just to get rid of Hernangomez, then that would be a disaster. And the reason we would 'have' to do it is because we traded for Richardson. So in essence, we would be dumping a 1st just to trade part of Richardson's salary. And we'd still have Richardson guaranteed for next year. Maybe we can trade another 1st to get rid of that salary obligation, too
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 01:31:51 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2021, 12:07:08 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Because I don't think the team is making any major moves this year, they wanted to have his contract available for a trade over the summer, when a major move will be more likely to happen. 

I do think it really is that simple.  They just wanted the trade ability over the summer. 

And it won't take much more than moving Hernangomez for no salary to get below the luxury tax.  I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Boston move him in a salary dump at some point this season, depending on how the season is going.  You know something like Hernangomez, Fernando, 1st round pick for a 2nd round pick.  Something like that.  Below the tax.

Lol - if we trade a 1st rounder just to get rid of Hernangomez, then that would be a disaster. And the reason we would 'have' to do it is because we traded for Richardson. So in essence, we would be dumping a 1st just to trade part of Richardson's salary. And we'd still have Richardson guaranteed for next year, too. Maybe we can trade another 1st to get rid of that salary obligation, too

The cost of moving Hernangomez at the deadline will not be a first.   That’s just silly talk.

« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2021, 12:57:57 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Lol - if we trade a 1st rounder just to get rid of Hernangomez, then that would be a disaster. And the reason we would 'have' to do it is because we traded for Richardson. So in essence, we would be dumping a 1st just to trade part of Richardson's salary. And we'd still have Richardson guaranteed for next year, too. Maybe we can trade another 1st to get rid of that salary obligation, too

The cost of moving Hernangomez at the deadline will not be a first.   That’s just silly talk.

How many teams are going to have an $8 million TPE available, and the desire to take on that salary obligation?  My expectation is that if pure salary dumps were available this summer for less than a number one, we would have traded Thompson without taking deadweight in salary back.

The most likely result seemingly would be to trade Schroder, but he’s an important piece.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 01:22:20 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2021, 01:20:14 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I figure if we are only doing okay (.500ish) and want to get below the tax, then we will be looking to move Schroder. Instead of having to give up a supposed 1st, we might actually get a pick back.

Don't get me wrong, I would be more than happy having Schroder here for the long-term, but it's going to be close to impossible to make that happen.

Of course if we are killing it, then I imagine we will just accept the tax and all of the implications that come with it. Just need to see what happens with this group.

« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2021, 01:30:19 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
I figure if we are only doing okay (.500ish) and want to get below the tax, then we will be looking to move Schroder. Instead of having to give up a supposed 1st, we might actually get a pick back.

Don't get me wrong, I would be more than happy having Schroder here for the long-term, but it's going to be close to impossible to make that happen.

Of course if we are killing it, then I imagine we will just accept the tax and all of the implications that come with it. Just need to see what happens with this group.

That is exactly the point.  We are positioned so that we can go either way.  Some team may want Richardson like we wanted Fournier last trade deadline.  Schroder will draw interest as well and Hernangomez will be "moveable".  Or we can cash in some TPE and get better (fill holes that no doubt emerge) and make a run.

I don't think this flexibility is by accident.  It was all part of the equation. 

« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2021, 01:30:40 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

As Roy says, who is taking on worthless players making around 8 million dollars without sending any salary back, and not getting anything in return.   I'm sure Boston could trim some salary in a trade for Hernangomez/Fernando without sending out a 1st, but no way they are trimming all of it without taking back salary and taking back salary defeats the purpose of that trade.  I just don't see any team taking on that sort of salary for cash and some 2nd round picks.  There just won't be the incentive to do that.

« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2021, 01:33:21 PM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73

I question whether Richardson was ever an option on a one year deal. My understanding is that Richardson had a player option so he had to opt in and agree to the trade. My assumption has been that the extension was negotiated prior to the trade as stipulation for him accepting the trade to Boston. If there wasn't some level of negotiation he needs a new agent lol

Essentially, Brad chose Richardson at 2/25 over Fournier at 3/54 for better or worse.

« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2021, 01:50:37 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I question whether Richardson was ever an option on a one year deal. My understanding is that Richardson had a player option so he had to opt in and agree to the trade. My assumption has been that the extension was negotiated prior to the trade as stipulation for him accepting the trade to Boston. If there wasn't some level of negotiation he needs a new agent lol

Essentially, Brad chose Richardson at 2/25 over Fournier at 3/54 for better or worse.

I wouldn't be shocked, but I would be surprised.  I think that Richardson was going to opt into his contract no matter what.  There simply wasn't a market for his services beyond the Taxpayer MLE, I would assume.  Dallas would have been thrilled if he had just opted out; we kind of got them off the hook without getting any compensation back.