Author Topic: Kanter criticizes China; Celtics games blacked out?  (Read 15723 times)

Re: Kanter criticizes China; Celtics games blacked out?
« Reply #90 on: November 22, 2021, 03:26:03 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
#BoycottBeijing2022

Not to get political, but if we want the 21st century to be an American century, we need to isolate the Communist Party of China from the rest of the world. Let’s face it: Nobody except the Communist Party of North Korea likes them, and the only reason we’ve put up with this nonsense so long is the slave-like labor they have provided to corporations (and those days are coming to an end now that China has grown to the point they no longer need to offer that to corporations external to China).

So #BoycottBeijing2022 and #KeepTaiwanFree

With regards to Taiwan, that needs to be the line in the sand because if we let Taiwan fall, it won’t stop there, it won’t stop with South Korea, it won’t stop with Japan, it just won’t stop period. Our allies in Asia/Oceania are counting on the West to protect and defend Taiwan, so we need to do precisely that (or we should not be surprised when we fall like Taiwan if we let that happen).

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

No thank you.

Was signed; LITERALLY everyone else in the whole world.

Such a USA thing to say too. You're such a caricature of yourselves. Take some cues from other countries maybe. Try be a bit less "we're the best". You're not. In fact, there's quite a lot wrong with you right now.

.edit: apologies - don't mean to loop every American in with this attitude. But it's definitely a thing, with your flags and anthems and all.

Just to respond to the part you high-lighted...  haven't much of the 19th, 20th and 21st centuries been largely dominated by America?  It doesn't mean America is "the best", but they're certainly a key player on the world stage, with very few counter-balances.
The 19th century was very much dominated by Britain. Russia, France & Prussia were also players, but it was definitely British. The US hegemony didn't really occur until the collapse of European empire as it was known following WW1.

Also, in response to Greenly's post about "isolating" China from the rest of the world - that is not in touch with any semblance of reality. It is the biggest exporter in the world, has the largest military in the world and is the biggest trade partner of the EU, second for the US (behind the EU) and Russia and more. It is the chief Asian power.

Also, please do not speak for "allies" in Oceania when claiming that the US has to intervene in Taiwan. That kind of attitude will get said "allies" killed en masse, while the US has the safety of retreating back to home soil.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #91 on: November 22, 2021, 04:47:49 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
It's a tricky thing, though, because "we" (spoken as the token representative of the third part of the awkwardly named AUKUS) shouldn't leave the Taiwanese out to dry.

It must be said, though, that Greenly's post does read like a parody of the old 'domino theory' scaremongering.  ;D
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #92 on: November 22, 2021, 08:54:24 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Also, in response to Greenly's post about "isolating" China from the rest of the world - that is not in touch with any semblance of reality. It is the biggest exporter in the world, has the largest military in the world and is the biggest trade partner of the EU, second for the US (behind the EU) and Russia and more. It is the chief Asian power.

Forgive us for not trusting the CCP after their handling of Covid.

About 430,000 people have flown on direct flights from China to the United States since Chinese officials first disclosed the outbreak of what is now the novel coronavirus to world health officials on New Year’s Eve, according to a new report published Saturday.

Most of the travelers flew into airports in Los Angeles, San Francisco, New York, Chicago, Seattle, Newark and Detroit in January. Thousands came directly from the city of Wuhan in the Chinese Hubei province, where the coronavirus originated, the New York Times reported.

1)  We ought to bring some of that manufacturing back to here.  There is no reason for us to be dependent on another country given our resources here.   To do so, is to make us Vulnerable int times of war.  Globalists people don't get this and worry about profit than national security. 
2)   China is doing exactly what we did historically, I get that, I don't think the Chinese people are any different than ours and are good people.  But I don't trust the CCP, nor should  we trust them.
3)   I think we are losing presently, they have jumped us in hypersonic missles, though I suspect we have the rods from God to counter this, and they have filled the power vacuum in Afghanistan.  We are dependent on them for supplies They are flooding the US with fentanyl.  They have infiltrated many institutions are are buying US  business and land.   I don't know if we can come back given how divided we are as a country and have no doubt about it foriegn entities have a hand in this as well.

Kanter is spot on, on his comments.  Nike, Lebron and Capernick routinely act woke when profitting off Uighur slave labor.   

Small thing. American influence and dominance on the world stage didn't really start until WWI, in the 20th century..

I think our dominance started during the Industrial Revolution and the US Civil War.    We didn't realize it until the 20th Century but Union Armies from the end of the Civil War would have crushed any of World Power at that time.   But we drew down our forces and did not act on it.    But militarily and industrial wise, we the best in the World in 1865.

« Reply #93 on: November 22, 2021, 09:10:20 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Small thing. American influence and dominance on the world stage didn't really start until WWI, in the 20th century..

I think our dominance started during the Industrial Revolution and the US Civil War.    We didn't realize it until the 20th Century but Union Armies from the end of the Civil War would have crushed any of World Power at that time.   But we drew down our forces and did not act on it.    But militarily and industrial wise, we the best in the World in 1865.
Sorry but that doesn't mean the influence and dominance of the rest of the world was mainly American. America had isolationist policies through to WWI. And the country was embroiled in their own issues for almost the entire time between 1840 and the turn of the century. America didn't exert their influence on the world until WWI. And even then, they did it only after much consternation for years before getting involved
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 08:30:26 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #94 on: November 22, 2021, 09:24:23 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Now he's targeting Jump Man himself:

“Not many people are talking about Michael Jordan,” Kanter said. “Michael Jordan hasn’t done anything, nothing, for the Black community in America besides just, you know, giving them money.”

Jordan founded the James R. Jordan Foundation in 1989 to help educate children. Apparently the foundation is not enough in Kanter’s eyes, given that Jordan has made over a billion dollars through his endorsement deals with Nike.

“I feel like we need to call out these athletes,” Kanter said. “At least LeBron James is going out there and being the voice of all those people who are oppressed in America. Michael Jordan has not done anything for the Black community because he cares too much about his shoe sales all over the world and America, and I feel like we need to call out these athletes and not be scared about who they are.”

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #95 on: November 22, 2021, 09:47:15 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
Somebody has to be the first to speak on the issue. Kanter calling on MJ is good. His shoes sales started the sneaker biz as we know it. The CCP is evil and we have to face them or they will take us. Let's get the truth out there and deal with it.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #96 on: November 22, 2021, 09:49:51 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
This is not news, though? Michael "Republicans buy sneakers, too" Jordan not being the most politically active athlete is about as newsworthy as Larry Bird being a white dude.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #97 on: November 22, 2021, 10:09:09 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
This is not news, though? Michael "Republicans buy sneakers, too" Jordan not being the most politically active athlete is about as newsworthy as Larry Bird being a white dude.

Somehow I don't think Kanter is going to be the tipping point for MJ, but worth a try, I guess.

In a way, MJ is kind of an example of the wisdom of that approach. Lebron is political. But in doing so, opens himself up to claims of hypocrisy and inconsistency, as well as ideological ramifications. MJ's stance is one that can just remain the same throughout time. You can say it's right or wrong, but it doesn't really change. And the fact that the criticisms from the 90's are resurfacing might be an example of the strength of that approach from MJ's perspective. He's outlasted these criticisms before.

« Reply #98 on: November 22, 2021, 10:15:00 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

“Not many people are talking about Michael Jordan,” Kanter said. “Michael Jordan hasn’t done anything, nothing, for the Black community in America besides just, you know, giving them money.”

Jordan founded the James R. Jordan Foundation in 1989 to help educate children. Apparently the foundation is not enough in Kanter’s eyes, given that Jordan has made over a billion dollars through his endorsement deals with Nike.

“I feel like we need to call out these athletes,” Kanter said. “At least LeBron James is going out there and being the voice of all those people who are oppressed in America. Michael Jordan has not done anything for the Black community because he cares too much about his shoe sales all over the world and America, and I feel like we need to call out these athletes and not be scared about who they are.”

Wow.  Enos going right after the Sneaker God himself.  Is Jesus next?
Yup

« Reply #99 on: November 22, 2021, 10:20:25 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Wow.  Enos going right after the Sneaker God himself.  Is Jesus next?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #100 on: November 22, 2021, 10:23:02 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen

Somehow I don't think Kanter is going to be the tipping point for MJ, but worth a try, I guess.

In a way, MJ is kind of an example of the wisdom of that approach. Lebron is political. But in doing so, opens himself up to claims of hypocrisy and inconsistency, as well as ideological ramifications. MJ's stance is one that can just remain the same throughout time. You can say it's right or wrong, but it doesn't really change. And the fact that the criticisms from the 90's are resurfacing might be an example of the strength of that approach from MJ's perspective. He's outlasted these criticisms before.

Jury's out for me whether it's wisdom or just the net result of popularity on an incomprehensible scale -- Lennon said it about The Beatles, but Jordan is/was bigger than Jesus. I'm not sure Charles Barkley would survive a similar salvo, for instance. Reggie Miller definitely wouldn't. Kobe might have. James might have, but obviously he chose a different path.

Regardless of whether I agree with an athlete's political opinions, I would rather they share them than 'shut up and dribble'. To me, sports are intractable from politics in all sorts of ways. I know that's not a universal opinion though.

« Reply #101 on: November 22, 2021, 01:59:18 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1375
Enes has written an op-ed in the Wall Street Journal recommending that the Beijing Winter Olympics be moved because of the situation involving Peng Shuai, the Chinese tennis player who accused a Communist Party apparatchik of sexual assault. I posted the op-ed for the benefit of those who do not have a WSJ subscription.

Enes Kanter: Move the Olympics for Peng Shuai’s Sake
The IOC shockingly echoes Beijing’s rhetoric on the tennis star’s disappearance.

Tennis champion Peng Shuai took to social media earlier this month to accuse a former top-ranking official in the Chinese Communist Party of sexually assaulting her. Within 30 minutes the post was scrubbed from the internet in China and Ms. Peng disappeared. She finally turned up this weekend in a pair of seemingly stage-managed videos.

For decades, Western athletes, celebrities and corporations have diligently kept silent in the face of Chinese human-rights violations. International hotel chains, airlines, apparel brands, sports leagues and Hollywood studios have steered away from “sensitive topics” such as Tibet’s independence, the Uyghur genocide, Hong Kong’s pro-democracy movement and Taiwan’s sovereignty.

The sports community must wake up—and speak up. We need to realize that the authoritarian Chinese government isn’t our friend. The Communist Party is a brutal dictatorship that has weaponized economic power to achieve ideological and political compliance.

Athletes can play a profound role in helping turn the tide toward a more safe and free world. History has shown what is possible. Bill Russell stood up against racial injustice. Muhammad Ali protested the Vietnam War. Arthur Ashe spoke out against apartheid in South Africa.

Western athletes can and should use our global platforms to lend a voice to those being silenced. #WhereIsPengShuai has been trending on Twitter. Let’s keep that up, and keep demanding answers until we know for sure she is safe.

We must also stop giving priority to money over morals. Claiming we are “misinformed” or “not really educated” should no longer be an excuse. Take initiative. Reach out to activists and communities. Try to learn about the Chinese government’s abuses. We can all be better allies, and stand in solidarity.

And we must take a firm stance against the 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics. While the Women’s Tennis Association has voiced concern for Ms. Peng, the International Olympic Committee has shockingly echoed Chinese state media’s rhetoric about her case. On Sunday the IOC released a statement claiming its president, Thomas Bach, had held a video call with Ms. Peng and was assured of her safety. Can we trust the IOC?

The IOC has ignored Beijing’s abuses for years. As athletes concerned about human rights and justice, we must pressure the IOC to move the games. All the gold medals in the world aren’t worth selling your values and your principles to the Chinese Communist Party.

Wake up and speak up. Change is coming, and no one can stop it. They can’t silence us all.

Mr. Kanter is a center for the Boston Celtics.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/enes-kanter-move-the-olympics-for-peng-shuais-sake-11637444316?mod=hp_opin_pos_4#cxrecs_s
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #102 on: November 22, 2021, 03:22:02 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Kanter should up his game in the NBA ,  I wouldn’t want to play in Chinese league if I were him right now

« Reply #103 on: November 22, 2021, 03:24:52 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Kanter should up his game in the NBA ,  I wouldn’t want to play in Chinese league if I were him right now

Kanter cannot play internationally because a different authoritarian regime has a warrant out for his arrest, so his post-NBA career is not of concern to him.  But what is a concern is totalitarian regimes.

« Reply #104 on: November 22, 2021, 03:56:42 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

Jury's out for me whether it's wisdom or just the net result of popularity on an incomprehensible scale -- Lennon said it about The Beatles, but Jordan is/was bigger than Jesus. I'm not sure Charles Barkley would survive a similar salvo, for instance. Reggie Miller definitely wouldn't. Kobe might have. James might have, but obviously he chose a different path.

Regardless of whether I agree with an athlete's political opinions, I would rather they share them than 'shut up and dribble'. To me, sports are intractable from politics in all sorts of ways. I know that's not a universal opinion though.

I'm not sure what you're saying. Charles Barkley wouldn't have survived taking a neutral approach to societal issues? I mean, there's a lot of guys who took neutral stances. MJ's popularity is the only reason some expected him to speak out. But then you're saying he was so popular that he didn't need to?