Author Topic: Kanter criticizes China; Celtics games blacked out?  (Read 15668 times)

Re: Kanter criticizes China; Celtics games blacked out?
« Reply #105 on: November 22, 2021, 05:23:00 PM »

Kiorrik

Now he's targeting Jump Man himself:

“Not many people are talking about Michael Jordan,” Kanter said. “Michael Jordan hasn’t done anything, nothing, for the Black community in America besides just, you know, giving them money.”

Jordan founded the James R. Jordan Foundation in 1989 to help educate children. Apparently the foundation is not enough in Kanter’s eyes, given that Jordan has made over a billion dollars through his endorsement deals with Nike.

“I feel like we need to call out these athletes,” Kanter said. “At least LeBron James is going out there and being the voice of all those people who are oppressed in America. Michael Jordan has not done anything for the Black community because he cares too much about his shoe sales all over the world and America, and I feel like we need to call out these athletes and not be scared about who they are.”

Wow.  Enos going right after the Sneaker God himself.  Is Jesus next?

Hahaha, that Judas has been crucified long ago :'D

« Reply #106 on: November 22, 2021, 07:22:44 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Small thing. American influence and dominance on the world stage didn't really start until WWI, in the 20th century..

I think our dominance started during the Industrial Revolution and the US Civil War.    We didn't realize it until the 20th Century but Union Armies from the end of the Civil War would have crushed any of World Power at that time.   But we drew down our forces and did not act on it.    But militarily and industrial wise, we the best in the World in 1865.
Sorry but that doesn't mean the influence and dominance of the rest of the world was mainly American. America had isolationist policies through to WWI. And the country was embroiled in their own issues for almost the entire time between 1940 and the turn of the century. American didn't exert their influence on the world until WWI. And even then, they did it only after much consternation for years before getting involved
Indeed, much like India now. Powerful economy, strong military, but too insular to be considered one of the global hegemons. Potentially in the future, much like 19th c. USA.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #107 on: November 23, 2021, 08:18:04 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Small thing. American influence and dominance on the world stage didn't really start until WWI, in the 20th century..

I think our dominance started during the Industrial Revolution and the US Civil War.    We didn't realize it until the 20th Century but Union Armies from the end of the Civil War would have crushed any of World Power at that time.   But we drew down our forces and did not act on it.    But militarily and industrial wise, we the best in the World in 1865.
Sorry but that doesn't mean the influence and dominance of the rest of the world was mainly American. America had isolationist policies through to WWI. And the country was embroiled in their own issues for almost the entire time between 1840 and the turn of the century. America didn't exert their influence on the world until WWI. And even then, they did it only after much consternation for years before getting involved

Some believe we started exerting is as early as 1898.  U.S. domestic support for the independence of Cuba enmeshed the United States in a struggle with Spain over the fate of the island nation. The decision to aid the Cuban resistance was a major departure from the traditional American practice of liberal nationalism, and the results of that decision had far-reaching consequences. The 1898 Treaty of Paris ending the war gave Cuba its independence and also ceded important Spanish possessions to the United States—notably Puerto Rico, the Philippines, and the small island of Guam.  In this we took on Spain.

But rest assured  the roots of this was in the US Civil War and technology from there.  Ironclad ships, Balloons, Telegraph, Mass Production, weapon advancements all played a part in our rise to power.

« Reply #108 on: November 23, 2021, 09:47:05 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Sorry but that doesn't mean the influence and dominance of the rest of the world was mainly American. America had isolationist policies through to WWI. And the country was embroiled in their own issues for almost the entire time between 1840 and the turn of the century. America didn't exert their influence on the world until WWI. And even then, they did it only after much consternation for years before getting involved

Some believe we started exerting is as early as 1898.  U.S. domestic support for the independence of Cuba enmeshed the United States in a struggle with Spain over the fate of the island nation. The decision to aid the Cuban resistance was a major departure from the traditional American practice of liberal nationalism, and the results of that decision had far-reaching consequences. The 1898 Treaty of Paris ending the war gave Cuba its independence and also ceded important Spanish possessions to the United States—notably Puerto Rico, the Philippines, and the small island of Guam.  In this we took on Spain.

But rest assured  the roots of this was in the US Civil War and technology from there.  Ironclad ships, Balloons, Telegraph, Mass Production, weapon advancements all played a part in our rise to power.
Some....and 1898 is also basically the 20th century.

Also, must have taken you a while to find that paragraph you plagiarized. Next time at least try give proper credit to those that wrote it.

« Reply #109 on: November 24, 2021, 04:12:26 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Sorry but that doesn't mean the influence and dominance of the rest of the world was mainly American. America had isolationist policies through to WWI. And the country was embroiled in their own issues for almost the entire time between 1940 and the turn of the century. American didn't exert their influence on the world until WWI. And even then, they did it only after much consternation for years before getting involved
Indeed, much like India now. Powerful economy, strong military, but too insular to be considered one of the global hegemons. Potentially in the future, much like 19th c. USA.
I sure hope that my homeland doesn't become the Prussia/Germany of the 20th century :'(
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #110 on: November 24, 2021, 01:07:11 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
As for the plagiarizing, I forgot the link.  My bad, I apologize.   It's not like I am not Joe Biden and here is my correction.  That does not change the fact that I am right and your wrong here.  We also bought Alaska for Russia in 1867?   That is world stage, did the Louisianan Purchase prior to that and we beat the British in two wars prior to that if you want to get technical.   But I still contend world dominance started with the US Civil War.   Other counties send experts to observe the conflict. 

Full credit to
The 1898 Treaty of Paris ending the war gave Cuba its independence and also ceded important Spanish possessions to the United States—notably Puerto Rico, the Philippines, and the small island of Guam.

https://history.state.gov/departmenthistory/short-history/superpower

« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 01:14:03 PM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #111 on: November 24, 2021, 01:42:10 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Are you saying that China today is "much like India" in terms of economy, military and being insular?  I don't want to take you out of context.

« Reply #112 on: November 24, 2021, 01:54:02 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
I'm not gouki but I'm 99.9% sure this is just an aside about the USA prior to the 20th century and not linked to China.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #113 on: November 24, 2021, 04:05:45 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Some....and 1898 is also basically the 20th century.

Also, must have taken you a while to find that paragraph you plagiarized. Next time at least try give proper credit to those that wrote it.
To give credit where it's due, by 1851 there were many in the UK who saw America as the next power. Samuel Colt's revolver was a total game-changer across the entire world, and American prowess in ship-building was starting to become apparent. Ben Wilson's book Heyday provides a pretty interesting account of this period

« Reply #114 on: November 24, 2021, 04:06:19 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Are you saying that China today is "much like India" in terms of economy, military and being insular?  I don't want to take you out of context.
Haha, no. That would be a very hard statement to defend.

It was a throwaway comparison for 19th century USA

« Reply #115 on: July 21, 2022, 08:12:18 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Bumping an old post because Kanter's Chinese activism and the NBA's response to it is back in the news:

Kanter Freedom, who famously changed his last name in reverence to his adopted country of the United States, joined Carlson to react, after [dang]ing recordings of figures including the players' association's general counsel surfaced.

In one recording, Ron Klempner, the NBPA lawyer, said he had just spoken with the league's counsel at the time, and that he wanted to have a "conversation about their concern right now is not so much what you are saying off the court but what it is that you're saying on the court when you step onto the court."

Kanter Freedom has worn several NBA-rule-abiding but anti-CCP slogans such as "Free Tibet" and "Slave Labor" – the latter also directed at shoemaker Nike.

Silver’s own leaked comment spoke bluntly on the unspoken “zero criticism” rule … for the sake of doing “business.”

“You’re not breaking any rule in terms of the shoes,” Silver said in the audio bit to Kanter. “There’s no rule I’m aware of that you’re violating now. To me you know. I think it’s also; look, at the end of the day, we’re also a business.”

So, Kanter's complaint that he feels black-listed may be true after all.  I mean, it's nothing earth-shattering here:  the NBA receives hundreds of millions of dollars (at least) in revenue from China.  They're going to pressure players who speak out against that golden goose, morality be [dang]ed.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #116 on: July 21, 2022, 09:49:19 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
Bumping an old post because Kanter's Chinese activism and the NBA's response to it is back in the news:

Kanter Freedom, who famously changed his last name in reverence to his adopted country of the United States, joined Carlson to react, after [dang]ing recordings of figures including the players' association's general counsel surfaced.

In one recording, Ron Klempner, the NBPA lawyer, said he had just spoken with the league's counsel at the time, and that he wanted to have a "conversation about their concern right now is not so much what you are saying off the court but what it is that you're saying on the court when you step onto the court."

Kanter Freedom has worn several NBA-rule-abiding but anti-CCP slogans such as "Free Tibet" and "Slave Labor" – the latter also directed at shoemaker Nike.

Silver’s own leaked comment spoke bluntly on the unspoken “zero criticism” rule … for the sake of doing “business.”

“You’re not breaking any rule in terms of the shoes,” Silver said in the audio bit to Kanter. “There’s no rule I’m aware of that you’re violating now. To me you know. I think it’s also; look, at the end of the day, we’re also a business.”

So, Kanter's complaint that he feels black-listed may be true after all.  I mean, it's nothing earth-shattering here:  the NBA receives hundreds of millions of dollars (at least) in revenue from China.  They're going to pressure players who speak out against that golden goose, morality be [dang]ed.

I think Kanter blackballed himself by attacking the league’s stars, as well as publicly complaining about playing time.  We saw him here — he wasn’t very good.  In fact, he was pretty bad.  At the same time, I can’t imagine he was a good locker room presence on a team trying to find cohesion.  It’s true in any workplace — the more you bother your coworkers, regardless of the way you’re bothering them, the better you have to be at your job, and he fell below that threshold.

And I should say that I very much align with Kanter’s views on China.  I think his messaging was poor, however.  Bashing LeBron on Twitter is not a way to win fellow NBA players to your side of the argument.

« Reply #117 on: July 22, 2022, 06:05:35 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Maybe Kanter blacklisted himself by aligning with the populist right?

« Reply #118 on: July 23, 2022, 06:02:50 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
Unlike Kaepernick, who has been truly blackballed by the NFL because he stood up for a cause he believes in, Kanter is not in the NBA because he’s no longer good enough to make it in the NBA.

Maybe Kanter blacklisted himself by aligning with the populist right?

This question makes about as much sense as asking, “maybe  Kaepernick blacklisted himself by aligning with Jehovah’s Witnesses?” (who also refuse to stand up for the anthem, albeit for a different reason) what the heck does some so-called “populist right” have to do with Kanter no longer being in the NBA? Karl Malone famously did ads throughout the ‘90s for the NRA as a leading spokesperson. Nobody is discriminating against people in the NBA because of political orientation. The NBA is truly inclusive and not part of the Orwellians by any means.

Anyway, Kanter is not in the NBA any longer because he’s not good enough to be an NBA player any longer. His political beliefs, or belief on a single issue and how it aligns with this group or that group, is just not part of the equation. The NBA just does not discriminate. They may be hypocritical by making products in Communist China and toeing whatever party line nonsense the Communist Party tells them to toe here or there, while simultaneously claiming to be in favor of social justice (I know they are and will eventually come around on Communist China, as will all other free people someday), but Kanter just sucks. That’s why he’s finished in the NBA.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2022, 06:38:01 AM by GreenlyGreeny »