Author Topic: Not signing Fournier…  (Read 19804 times)

Re: Not signing Fournier…
« Reply #75 on: October 21, 2021, 09:29:12 PM »

Online mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598
He was Boston's 4th scoring option last year and pretty similar to Smart who was the 5th option.  That is Fournier's sweet spot.  He has consistently shown he can't really handle more of a load than that, especially on a playoff level team. 

?

The last five years in Orlando he was the Magic’s leading scorer twice, their secondary scorer twice, and tied for third once.  To you that says “he can’t be better than a 4th option”?
To be fair, the Magic never went far with him as the first or second option.

2020 post season stats = 13 PPG 4 RPG 3 APG 35 FG%
2019 post season stats = 12 PPG 3 RPG 2 APG 33 FG%

You are not going far with that kind of #1 or even #2 option. He's not someone who can handle the brightest stage of the post season. Even Smart outplayed him in the Nets series

« Reply #76 on: October 21, 2021, 09:31:49 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
He was Boston's 4th scoring option last year and pretty similar to Smart who was the 5th option.  That is Fournier's sweet spot.  He has consistently shown he can't really handle more of a load than that, especially on a playoff level team. 

?

The last five years in Orlando he was the Magic’s leading scorer twice, their secondary scorer twice, and tied for third once.  To you that says “he can’t be better than a 4th option”?
And how good were the Magic?  1 season above .500, multiple seasons 25 games below .500.  He isn't good enough to be that sort of player on a good team.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #77 on: October 21, 2021, 09:43:57 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

?

And how good were the Magic?  1 season above .500, multiple seasons 25 games below .500.  He isn't good enough to be that sort of player on a good team.

Right, he’s not good enough to be a #1 option on a contender.  Nobody said that he was. But you were suggesting that he’s limited to being a fourth or fifth option, which is a ridiculous take.

But, I guess we will see the season, as the Knicks look to be a playoff team that will be giving Fournier a top-3 role.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #78 on: October 21, 2021, 10:11:28 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

?

Right, he’s not good enough to be a #1 option on a contender.  Nobody said that he was. But you were suggesting that he’s limited to being a fourth or fifth option, which is a ridiculous take.

But, I guess we will see the season, as the Knicks look to be a playoff team that will be giving Fournier a top-3 role.
I clearly implied on a good team.  He was the C's 4th or 5th option and in Orlando, the Magic were an awful team when he was a top 2 option.  The 42 win team he had the 3rd most shots per game during the regular season and in the playoffs when he was the leading shot attempt man (the following year they won 33 games when he was again the 2nd option).  Fournier is a 4th option on a good team and you don't pay a terrible defending streaky shooter the kind of money he got to be a 4th option. 

« Reply #79 on: October 21, 2021, 10:31:20 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
1 game
This. 1 game where he had extra motivation to show up against the team that didn't think he was worth the money.

We probably should've tried harder to resign him but I'm not ready to call this one a loss.

What we probably should have tried harder to do was guard the guy.
If Smart was gassed, put Langford in. One thing we do have is plenty of young legs.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #80 on: October 21, 2021, 10:36:18 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

?

I clearly implied on a good team.  He was the C's 4th or 5th option and in Orlando, the Magic were an awful team when he was a top 2 option.  The 42 win team he had the 3rd most shots per game during the regular season and in the playoffs when he was the leading shot attempt man (the following year they won 33 games when he was again the 2nd option).  Fournier is a 4th option on a good team and you don't pay a terrible defending streaky shooter the kind of money he got to be a 4th option.

Well, then the Celts are screwed, because we don’t have a third, fourth or fifth option as good as Fournier.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #81 on: October 21, 2021, 10:46:57 PM »

Online mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598

?

Well, then the Celts are screwed, because we don’t have a third, fourth or fifth option as good as Fournier.
Smart was the better 3rd/4th option last season than Fournier.

Smart = 13 PPG 3 RPG 6 APG
Fournier (in C's uniform) = 13 PPG 3 RPG 3 APG

« Reply #82 on: October 22, 2021, 01:55:52 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

?

C'mon now. This is very lazy statistical analysis. Smart did that in 45 minutes shooting 35.7% from the field and 45.5% from 3 (if he can keep up the latter that's huge!). Fournier did 13/3/3 in 30MPG on 45% from the field and 46% from deep. If he played 45 minutes like Smart did he would have put up 20/5/5 on that shooting. Or, if Smart had played 30MPG, he would have done much less.

EDIT: oops… I still think the argument is significantly off, given Fournier has a history of being a scorer and shooter that Smart could only dream of ever being
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 06:22:21 AM by gouki88 »
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #83 on: October 22, 2021, 05:07:31 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525

?

C'mon now. This is very lazy statistical analysis. Smart did that in 45 minutes shooting 35.7% from the field and 45.5% from 3 (if he can keep up the latter that's huge!). Fournier did 13/3/3 in 30MPG on 45% from the field and 46% from deep. If he played 45 minutes like Smart did he would have put up 20/5/5 on that shooting. Or, if Smart had played 30MPG, he would have done much less.

Smart played 33 mpg and Fournier played 29.5 in Boston.  AF’ stats adjusted for 33mpg is 14.5 ppg and his rpg and apg would be about 3.4.    Overall, I like Smart better regardless of stats.   And I wonder what Smart’s 3 point % is shooting the 3 in clutch situations.

« Reply #84 on: October 22, 2021, 06:21:21 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

?

Smart played 33 mpg and Fournier played 29.5 in Boston.  AF’ stats adjusted for 33mpg is 14.5 ppg and his rpg and apg would be about 3.4.    Overall, I like Smart better regardless of stats.   And I wonder what Smart’s 3 point % is shooting the 3 in clutch situations.
Ugh, my tired eyes read “last night” instead of “last season”! Essay season got to me.

I still disagree with the premise due to Smart’s woeful efficiency.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #85 on: October 22, 2021, 06:26:52 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

?

Ugh, my tired eyes read “last night” instead of “last season”! Essay season got to me.

Fournier is a much better shooter, but I don't think there is a single other thing he does better than Smart. Shooting is obviously really important, but overall Smart is better and more worth the money.  That is what it has always boiled down to to me.  Fournier is a lesser Kyle Korner or JJ Redick and you don't pay that guy twice the MLE for 3 years.  It is just a bad contract
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 08:04:28 AM by Moranis »

« Reply #86 on: October 22, 2021, 08:25:30 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

?

Fournier is a much better shooter, but I don't think there is a single other thing he does better than Smart. Shooting is obviously really important, but overall Smart is better and more worth the money.  That is what it has always boiled down to to me.  Fournier is a lesser Kyle Korner or JJ Redick and you don't pay that guy twice the MLE for 3 years.  It is just a bad contract

I personally agreed with letting Fournier go, but that was because I think the team absolutely must develop Nesmith and Langford.

Still, Fournier is a 6'7 player who can create his own shot and beat people of the dribble. You can run the offense through him in spots if you need to. He isn't quite the pure shooter Kyle Korner or JJ Redick was, but he's a way more complete offensive player than either of those guys. Come on.

« Reply #87 on: October 22, 2021, 08:39:03 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Evan Fournier:  the fifth option, poor man’s Korver whose only skill is shooting.  Got it.

😂🤣😅

« Reply #88 on: October 22, 2021, 08:40:06 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
I must admit I was not impressed with him last year. I was fine with letting him go and developing Nesmith and Langford.
After watching Wednesday night’s game, I might have been wrong.
But, it’s only a one game sample. I’ll get back to you all in a few weeks

« Reply #89 on: October 22, 2021, 09:46:58 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
1 game
This. 1 game where he had extra motivation to show up against the team that didn't think he was worth the money.

We probably should've tried harder to resign him but I'm not ready to call this one a loss.

What we probably should have tried harder to do was guard the guy.
If Smart was gassed, put Langford in. One thing we do have is plenty of young legs.

Yeah, he did knock down the open shots but we have him a LOT of them.