Author Topic: NBA Season 2021-22  (Read 566872 times)

Re: NBA Season 2021-22
« Reply #645 on: November 22, 2021, 02:21:08 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/basketball/nba/player/30585/michael-porter-jr

MPJ might have a season ending surgery. This after Denver gave him a max contract during the summer. Wow.

I know most were shocked there were no injury provisions in MPJ's contract, similar to Embiid.

If this injury is related to his chronic issues, this could end Denver's run as a contender, before it even began.

Can they get an injured player exception for him? I believe this has happened in the past, but I don’t know if it has to be for more than one season of missed time.

I am not sure about the injured player exception, I was referring to Embiid’s actual contract.

According to a report from ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski, Embiid's deal includes provisions that would allow the 76ers to cut Embiid and save money if he misses significant time due to specific injuries.

Wojnarowski reports that Philadelphia's financial protections only come in to play if Embiid misses at least 25 games or plays less 1,650 minutes in a single season due to injuries to his foot or back, parts of the body that Embiid has already struggled with. If Embiid misses time with a "new" injury, such as one to his knee or shoulder, the financial provisions do not apply.

If, however, Embiid does miss more than 25 games or play less than 1,650 with a recurring injury, the 76ers can cut him and save money. If they cut him after the 2018-19 season (the first year the new contract goes into affect), Embiid will earn a total of $84.2 million (all figures per Wojnarowski); if they cut him after the 2019-20 season, he'll earn $98.2 million of the original deal; if he's cut after the 2020-21 season, Embiid will earn $113.3 million; and if he's cut after the 2021-22 season, he will earn $129.4 million. The contract expires after the 2022-23 season.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #646 on: November 22, 2021, 06:02:48 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
And suspensions handed out.

Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
·
34s
Detroit Pistons center Isaiah Stewart will be suspended two games for his role in the roughhousing with LeBron James on Sunday. James was suspended one game.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #647 on: November 22, 2021, 06:04:58 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
·
1m
NBA: Stewart's suspension was for "escalating an on-court altercation by repeatedly and aggressively pursuing (James) in an unsportsmanlike manner."

James serves suspension Tuesday vs. Knicks for "recklessly hitting Stewart in the face and initiating an on-court altercation."

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #648 on: November 22, 2021, 06:08:22 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
·
1m
NBA: Stewart's suspension was for "escalating an on-court altercation by repeatedly and aggressively pursuing (James) in an unsportsmanlike manner."

James serves suspension Tuesday vs. Knicks for "recklessly hitting Stewart in the face and initiating an on-court altercation."

The NBA did the right thing.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #649 on: November 22, 2021, 06:40:27 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
I said one game for James and was right bout that..Didn’t know if Stewart would had or not
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #650 on: November 22, 2021, 06:44:04 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Seems about right, though to send a real message I would have had Lebron at 2 games and Stewart at 3. Things could have escalated further and I thought the extra games would have represented that

Funny enough, without Stewart's over the top reaction, I don't think either gets suspended. Lebron would have walked on his obvious dirty, cheap shot. He might have even only got a flagrant 1 foul. So in a way, I am kinda, sorta glad that Stewart did what he did, though maybe going back at Lebron the last 2-3 times was rather immature and stupid. He could have hurt one of his team mates or coaches  But the first couple times I was okay with.

« Reply #651 on: November 22, 2021, 06:52:40 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
Seems about right, though to send a real message I would have had Lebron at 2 games and Stewart at 3. Things could have escalated further and I thought the extra games would have represented that

Funny enough, without Stewart's over the top reaction, I don't think either gets suspended. Lebron would have walked on his obvious dirty, cheap shot. He might have even only got a flagrant 1 foul. So in a way, I am kinda, sorta glad that Stewart did what he did, though maybe going back at Lebron the last 2-3 times was rather immature and stupid. He could have hurt one of his team mates or coaches  But the first couple times I was okay with.

If someone punched LeBron in the face it'd be 5 games easy.

« Reply #652 on: November 22, 2021, 09:39:07 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547
I mean James clearly hit him in the face recklessly, but how exactly did he initiate an on-court altercation?  If it is the mere fact that he did a reckless action, then that is just dumb.  It isn't like he taunted him, celebrated, or did something else to initiate an altercation.  I'm fine with 1 game for the elbow to the face, but just making things up isn't a good look for the NBA either.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #653 on: November 22, 2021, 10:53:39 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
BANE!!!!

« Reply #654 on: November 23, 2021, 12:31:51 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
I mean James clearly hit him in the face recklessly, but how exactly did he initiate an on-court altercation?  If it is the mere fact that he did a reckless action, then that is just dumb.  It isn't like he taunted him, celebrated, or did something else to initiate an altercation.  I'm fine with 1 game for the elbow to the face, but just making things up isn't a good look for the NBA either.

I think there is good reason to believe lebron said something to Stewart also. Stewart didn’t go real crazy initially and initially appeared to go over like “what the hell was that.” This is what all three commentators stated on nba tv at the time and they are not exactly people that are quick to say something negative about lebron. Believe on of them was grant hill who is not exactly a hot take guy. Would be inclined to believe this came up in the nba investigation rather than them releasing an unnecessarily negative comment about their golden goose for no reason (they are losing money suspending Lebron for his one msg game). Most seem to think both players got off light.

« Reply #655 on: November 23, 2021, 12:33:20 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Nick I think it should have been 2 and 3 also. I think they both got one less game cause it was Lebron. This actually saves the lakers luxury tax money from an article I read which seems crazy.

« Reply #656 on: November 23, 2021, 12:40:42 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
For those interested in the east west discussion east has won something like 10 out of 14. As stated previously there are just more bad teams in the west than their are in the east. Kings lost at home to the 76ers and really badly need to make a trade. Firing Walton may help but the team just seems dysfunctional and has to many small guards. Pelicans are pretty bad and I don’t know if Zion comes in and immediately rights their ship (3-16). Spurs are well coached and play hard but just don’t have the talent. Same with okc . Houston is flat out not competitive and I hope they do Gordon a solid and buy him out soon. Minnesota has played significantly better and may have something with edwards and towns. However given their history since kg left, I need to see more than a 6 game stretch. In the East only the magic and pistons are truly bad. All the other teams appear feisty for the time being. Pacers who were really struggling have played a lot better since levert got healthy. If they can Warren back they can really be a low caliber playoff team. Have to continue worry how deep the East is. Celtics need to bring it every night to climb the standings and we have already put ourselves in a whole. It’s gonna be a dog fight. A crazy part of this is the East may have more reinforcements coming. Simmons and irving should theoretically come back or give their teams something in return at some point. The warriors will get klay Thompson back but this can only help them so much given they are already 14-2 (although maybe they win the title).Thank god we got jb back.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 12:57:09 AM by celticsclay »

« Reply #657 on: November 23, 2021, 01:18:55 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
BANE!!!!

Fine, willing to admit that was a terrible mistake now...
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #658 on: November 23, 2021, 06:23:41 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Except it was a punch, not an elbow.  He hit him with his hand.

« Reply #659 on: November 23, 2021, 08:22:10 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547
Except it was a punch, not an elbow.  He hit him with his hand.
Not relevant to the point though.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip