Author Topic: NBA Season 2021-22  (Read 564593 times)

Re: NBA Season 2021-22
« Reply #5760 on: May 25, 2022, 01:45:30 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Starting to wonder if Kevin Durant may become available with how things have broken the last few years.

If he demanded a trade, the Nets would need to accommodate him, just like the Warriors did when he was traded to the Nets.

I wonder if an expiring, plus a starter, prospects, and picks would get it done?

I mean, if we won the championship, and then got Durant to go with our core, how awesome would that be?

Who knows? Maybe he regrets not going to Boston when he had a chance?

Of course Durant is a great player, but would he be worth it for the Celtics? Do you play him next to Tatum whos now entering his prime and plays the same position? Is he worth giving up assets and cap space for at this stage of his career, and the hit our defense would take?

« Reply #5761 on: May 25, 2022, 01:53:01 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Starting to wonder if Kevin Durant may become available with how things have broken the last few years.

If he demanded a trade, the Nets would need to accommodate him, just like the Warriors did when he was traded to the Nets.

I wonder if an expiring, plus a starter, prospects, and picks would get it done?

I mean, if we won the championship, and then got Durant to go with our core, how awesome would that be?

Who knows? Maybe he regrets not going to Boston when he had a chance?

Of course Durant is a great player, but would he be worth it for the Celtics? Do you play him next to Tatum whos now entering his prime and plays the same position? Is he worth giving up assets and cap space for at this stage of his career, and the hit our defense would take?

According to Fanspo trade machine, Durant is no longer in the NBA.   I guess they think he is really upset with the Nets.

« Reply #5762 on: May 25, 2022, 01:56:22 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
I would absolutely shocked if another team did not offer Kyrie the max. I wouldn't stay in BKN if I were Kyrie; not if they were unwilling to pay me the max.

For like one or two years? Yeah a team would. But there are real legit questions about him. He has quit on his team (some would argue repeatedly). He is constantly injured. He has no showed in multiple playoff series. His last good playoff series was with Cavs 4-5

« Reply #5763 on: May 25, 2022, 02:53:54 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
So lets just play along. Nets don't want to pay Kyrie, so he leaves, what teams are willing to take on Kyrie then? I know there are a lot of disgruntled or desperate teams but idk, I can't imagine he has many options outside of BKN. It also depends on if Kyrie wants to actually go to a certain team, I have to imagine he'd have a say in that too. He might not want to go play for the Lakers, for example since Lebron is there (again idk for sure, just using as an example).

Irving has kind of become like Antonio Brown in a way. AB latched on in Tampa for a few years because he's friends with TB12 but now he's basically "retired" and was a headcase for a long time anyways. No one wants him either. Kyrie is only in BKN because of Durant and because KD wanted him. They are also great friends. If not BKN, who wants Kyrie?

I'm just curious to see what teams would be interested in him for real. Charlotte? LAL? Portland?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #5764 on: May 25, 2022, 11:18:59 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
With the selection of Antetokounmpo (27 years old), Dončić (23), Jokić (27), Booker (25) and Tatum (24), the Kia All-NBA First Team is made up entirely of players age 27 or younger for the first time in 67 years (1954-55 season). Dončić is the fourth player in NBA history to be named to the All-NBA First Team three or more times before turning 24, joining Tim Duncan, Kevin Durant and Max Zaslofsky.  – via NBA.com

Who? Has anyone ever heard of this player.
Zaslofsky was a BAA player in the 40s who didn't do much of anything at the top level once it became the NBA.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #5765 on: May 25, 2022, 11:26:01 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
With the selection of Antetokounmpo (27 years old), Dončić (23), Jokić (27), Booker (25) and Tatum (24), the Kia All-NBA First Team is made up entirely of players age 27 or younger for the first time in 67 years (1954-55 season). Dončić is the fourth player in NBA history to be named to the All-NBA First Team three or more times before turning 24, joining Tim Duncan, Kevin Durant and Max Zaslofsky.  – via NBA.com

Zaslofsky was a BAA player in the 40s who didn't do much of anything at the top level once it became the NBA.

Makes sense, TP.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #5766 on: May 26, 2022, 12:48:54 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Alright Mavs, your turn to force Game 6!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #5767 on: May 26, 2022, 02:09:36 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Alright Mavs, your turn to force Game 6!

And 7...
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #5768 on: May 26, 2022, 07:17:33 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 364
I would absolutely shocked if another team did not offer Kyrie the max. I wouldn't stay in BKN if I were Kyrie; not if they were unwilling to pay me the max.

For like one or two years? Yeah a team would. But there are real legit questions about him. He has quit on his team (some would argue repeatedly). He is constantly injured. He has no showed in multiple playoff series. His last good playoff series was with Cavs 4-5

Pretty crazy I had to think about it and you are right. He hasn't been a star in the playoffs since the Cavs. Injured first year in Boston, mailed it in and quit against the bucks second year, Injured for the jets, then stunk it up against the celts this year.

Some team might, thinking like AB they can keep Kyrie in line. But that will be an albatross contract like hardens and Westbrook's are now.

If Kyrie is paid does anyone expect him if he's not injured to play a full season? Last year he took off games to attend birthdays and to hang out.

Supposedly Durant is mad at nets management too and won't speak to them. Guess we will see if this spinless busrider will jump on another contender.

« Reply #5769 on: May 26, 2022, 07:57:14 AM »

Online G-Bones

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 97
Do you think the Celtics offered Irving a long term deal before he left the Celtics?  He wasn’t exactly the best teammate when he was here.  I know we dodged a bullet by not signing him.

« Reply #5770 on: May 26, 2022, 08:29:04 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
Do you think the Celtics offered Irving a long term deal before he left the Celtics?  He wasn’t exactly the best teammate when he was here.  I know we dodged a bullet by not signing him.

They would have but if my memory serves correctly he wouldn’t even talk to the team after the season was over.

« Reply #5771 on: May 26, 2022, 08:43:19 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I still believe Irving is back in Brooklyn on a max dollar, but not max year contract.  I think he is basically going to be playing on 1 or 2 year contracts for the rest of his career.  He is just too injury prone and too poor defensively to commit long term to.  I've been saying that for years, including when he was in Boston.  Irving just isn't a good enough player who is far too frail to give huge money to. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5772 on: May 26, 2022, 09:39:59 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

Makes sense, TP.

You're telling me you don't have a Max Zaslofsky jersey hanging in your closet?

« Reply #5773 on: May 26, 2022, 09:58:42 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867

To offer the a max contract, you need cap space.  The teams with this kind of cap space potentially, teams like Detroit and Orlando, do not see like they are going to offer a contract to Kyrie Irving.  Any contending team that may want to take a chance on Irving, won't have the cap space.

I don't think that BKN wants to offer him a big contract after last season's antics.  They have probably said go ahead and pick up your option year or good luck on the open market.

« Reply #5774 on: May 26, 2022, 10:58:29 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
LOL no way. Scott "the extender" Foster is reffing in tonight's game.

Maybe Dallas can push this to 6 games?  :laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller