Author Topic: Unpopular Opinion: Zion is ‘tradeable’  (Read 8999 times)

Re: Unpopular Opinion: Zion is ‘tradeable’
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2021, 03:39:29 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
He going to New York or LA once he eligible for FA, so if I was New Orleans, I would trade him when time is near..better get something than nothing…remember when Amare left Phoenix & Bosh left Toronto? Teams didn’t trade them and set them back for awhile
Bosh actually was traded to Miami.  The Heat basically gave Toronto back its own 2011 pick which became 5th pick Valanciunas, and also traded a 2011 1st rounder (28 - Norris Cole). Toronto also picked up a 14.5 million trade exception (though they only used a small portion of that I believe).

That whole transaction happened because Bosh was leaving.  While yes they technically didn’t get nothing, they could have gotten a much, much better return if they decided to move him on their own terms.  That’s the point he’s trying to make.
Oh I'm sure they probably could have gotten more for Bosh if they tried to trade him, but there was only 1 team they could have traded him to that would have given them back their own pick and that team was the Heat (and there weren't a lot of teams floating around with extra 1st rounders).  Now maybe they could have gotten that pick and a better asset like Beasley (or something) from the Heat during the prior season for Bosh, or maybe not.  If Miami thought they had a real good shot at landing him in free agency, then maybe they don't pay much more than they did.  I'm not sure how much better they would have done during the season with other teams.  I'm sure Cleveland would have made inquiries, but the Cavs had nothing any good to trade for Bosh (which is the whole reason Lebron went to Miami to begin with).  I just don't know what was out there for an expiring contract Bosh as not many contending teams had better assets than Toronto's own pick.  That asset was actually pretty similar to the one Boston gave back to Minnesota in the KG trade.  Minnesota keeps KG, Boston doesn't end up with a very good pick, but by trading KG to Boston for that pick (and other assets), it ends up in the top 10.  So it really only had high level value to the team it originally came from.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2021, 10:04:53 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
He going to New York or LA once he eligible for FA, so if I was New Orleans, I would trade him when time is near..better get something than nothing…remember when Amare left Phoenix & Bosh left Toronto? Teams didn’t trade them and set them back for awhile
Bosh actually was traded to Miami.  The Heat basically gave Toronto back its own 2011 pick which became 5th pick Valanciunas, and also traded a 2011 1st rounder (28 - Norris Cole). Toronto also picked up a 14.5 million trade exception (though they only used a small portion of that I believe).

That whole transaction happened because Bosh was leaving.  While yes they technically didn’t get nothing, they could have gotten a much, much better return if they decided to move him on their own terms.  That’s the point he’s trying to make.
Oh I'm sure they probably could have gotten more for Bosh if they tried to trade him, but there was only 1 team they could have traded him to that would have given them back their own pick and that team was the Heat (and there weren't a lot of teams floating around with extra 1st rounders).  Now maybe they could have gotten that pick and a better asset like Beasley (or something) from the Heat during the prior season for Bosh, or maybe not.  If Miami thought they had a real good shot at landing him in free agency, then maybe they don't pay much more than they did.  I'm not sure how much better they would have done during the season with other teams.  I'm sure Cleveland would have made inquiries, but the Cavs had nothing any good to trade for Bosh (which is the whole reason Lebron went to Miami to begin with).  I just don't know what was out there for an expiring contract Bosh as not many contending teams had better assets than Toronto's own pick.  That asset was actually pretty similar to the one Boston gave back to Minnesota in the KG trade.  Minnesota keeps KG, Boston doesn't end up with a very good pick, but by trading KG to Boston for that pick (and other assets), it ends up in the top 10.  So it really only had high level value to the team it originally came from.

Yeah.

Back to the point, if the writing is on the wall for him leaving New Orleans I can see the logic for them kind of cashing their chips in now.  I just don’t see how they can, their hands are kind of tied, the hype and the media attention surrounding Zion is so huge it would just utterly demoralize that fan base, even more than it already is.

I don’t think there’s a GM out there that would have the balls to do it.  Maybe Danny but he’s gone now
Greg

« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2021, 10:14:45 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Yeah.

Back to the point, if the writing is on the wall for him leaving New Orleans I can see the logic for them kind of cashing their chips in now.  I just don’t see how they can, their hands are kind of tied, the hype and the media attention surrounding Zion is so huge it would just utterly demoralize that fan base, even more than it already is.

I don’t think there’s a GM out there that would have the balls to do it.  Maybe Danny but he’s gone now
It would depend on what they got back for him.  If they got a young star like Tatum and some other assets, then maybe they could pull the trigger, but they'd have to really like Tatum and it would have to be 100% clear Zion was leaving (and that Zion would be happy wherever he went).  Still a tough trade to make if you are New Orleans, but maybe not a franchise killer in that scenario.  As with all trades, the returning package is always key.

« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2021, 08:01:44 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Zion is reportedly making progress on returning, but slowly. He was just cleared for one-on-one drills. There's a long way between that and playing in an NBA game.

There's no way not to worry about Zion's foot-and-knee injury history that dates back to high school, and his size, particularly given the force with which he plays, only heightens that concern.

Williamson is listed at 284 pounds, the same weight he was listed at last season, but, per Bleacher Report's Jake Fischer, he is believed to have reached north of 300 pounds as recent as the preseason.

ESPN's Brian Windhorst and Andrew Lopez, that includes changing their "culinary practices" -- i.e. keeping the junk out of the cupboard.

From ESPN:

The Pelicans have poured resources, time and energy to protect Williamson's health. They have changed members of the staff and even changed some of their culinary practices in an attempt to support him. They have talked with him about protecting his body from extra hits.

There's only so much the Pelicans can do. Zion is a grown man who is going to ultimately make his own decisions as it pertains to what and how much he eats.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2021, 08:12:57 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
Simmons for Zion?

« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2021, 09:20:19 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Simmons for Zion?
Zion & Embiid wouldn't work for the exact same reasons as Simmons & Embiid, except Zion takes a lot more shots and is a worse passer.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2021, 11:05:29 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Simmons for Zion?
Zion & Embiid wouldn't work for the exact same reasons as Simmons & Embiid, except Zion takes a lot more shots and is a worse passer.
And defender. 

Simmons and Embiid have had a top 5 NET Rating among duos over several different seasons.  They actually work just fine on the court because they counter balance each other pretty well. 

« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2021, 01:04:33 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
I know it's a bit like comparing apples and oranges (not too many of those being eaten) but Zion's situation sounds a lot like Jared Sullinger's.

Yes Sully's not in the same stratosphere as Zion athletically but they both were highly recruited out of high school, both had major injuries in college and both suffered from over eating issues.

Sulliger ate himself out of the league, I can't see Zion getting that bad, but he may turn himself from a generational talent to a borderline all-star if his weight issues aren't amended. It's hardly been discussed since Zion was drafted but he is bowlegged which in itself is a long term issue, add being too heavy and that's a dangerous cocktail.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2021, 01:14:12 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Zion is just making me sad.

« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2021, 01:42:42 PM »