Author Topic: 21-22 College Football Thread  (Read 36132 times)

Re: 21-22 College Football Thread
« Reply #105 on: November 23, 2021, 09:27:18 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Congrats Bearcats! CFP finally putting them as the #4 seed in the playoffs.

That Michigan-Ohio State game this weekend will be INSANE. I kind of hope Michigan gets the upset and adds to the chaos (but also I feel at some point Michigan has to do something in this rivalry... right?)
It won't really be chaos though.  The winner will play for the Big Ten title and if they win that will be in the playoff.  The loser will not.  Chaos is Alabama losing to Auburn and then beating Georgia.  That will cause all sorts of potential problems.

Right that's a good point I completely forgot about that.

I think right now, Georgia feels like the only "guarantee" for the playoffs. Because even if they lose to Alabama I think they'll stay a 3 or 4 seed.

Now if Georgia loses to GTech this weekend then oh boy lol...
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #106 on: November 23, 2021, 09:41:37 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

That Michigan-Ohio State game this weekend will be INSANE. I kind of hope Michigan gets the upset and adds to the chaos (but also I feel at some point Michigan has to do something in this rivalry... right?)
It won't really be chaos though.  The winner will play for the Big Ten title and if they win that will be in the playoff.  The loser will not.  Chaos is Alabama losing to Auburn and then beating Georgia.  That will cause all sorts of potential problems.

I think right now, Georgia feels like the only "guarantee" for the playoffs. Because even if they lose to Alabama I think they'll stay a 3 or 4 seed.

A Cincinnati loss at any time also throws the final 4 into chaos. Suddenly you have a lot of teams looking at their spot.

« Reply #107 on: November 23, 2021, 10:51:43 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

A Cincinnati loss at any time also throws the final 4 into chaos. Suddenly you have a lot of teams looking at their spot.
If OK State or Oklahoma win out to become a 1-loss B12 champ, there's a good chance they jump an undefeated Cincy for the 4th spot. 

« Reply #108 on: November 23, 2021, 11:08:22 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

If OK State or Oklahoma win out to become a 1-loss B12 champ, there's a good chance they jump an undefeated Cincy for the 4th spot.

Yeah, it’s set up for OK State to have a chance to jump, ranked 7 with either a back-to-back against OU, or OU and Baylor.

Given that OU is 10, behind 2-loss Baylor, I don’t think they could get the momentum to jump Cincy.  The committee is not impressed enough with them.  But 12-1 OK St would make things very tough for the committee.

« Reply #109 on: November 23, 2021, 11:25:51 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Maybe, but I think they need that Cincy loss. Then there is Notre Dame. As I said, I think a Cincy loss can cause some chaos.

« Reply #110 on: November 24, 2021, 08:36:06 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Yeah, it’s set up for OK State to have a chance to jump, ranked 7 with either a back-to-back against OU, or OU and Baylor.

Given that OU is 10, behind 2-loss Baylor, I don’t think they could get the momentum to jump Cincy.  The committee is not impressed enough with them.  But 12-1 OK St would make things very tough for the committee.
It would but losing to Iowa St. is just bad.  That is a bad loss that I have a hard time giving them a pass for.  If they had lost to Baylor in a close game and then beaten Baylor in the conference championship, I think that would be easier for them to have Okie St. jump Cincinnati, but losing to Iowa St. is basically an indefensible loss for a playoff contender when there are other viable options (like if UC loses and ND loses, then sure put the other OSU in).

And I still have no idea how good Baylor actually is.  I mean they lost to TCU.  The same TCU that lost to SMU and Texas and barely beat Cal and Kansas.  TCU is a horrid loss and if Baylor can lose to them, I'm not sure how good they actually are when Baylor's non-conference games are Texas St., Texas Southern, and BYU.  BYU is an ok team, but they haven't exactly played a difficult schedule and lost to a 4 loss Boise team. 

The Big 12 is just bad this year.  When Houston, Boise St., BYU, and Nebraska are the best non-conference wins, it is really hard to get a read on the conference, especially when they've struggled in many of those non-conference games and the better teams have struggled within the conference.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #111 on: November 24, 2021, 08:54:50 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

It would but losing to Iowa St. is just bad.  That is a bad loss that I have a hard time giving them a pass for.  If they had lost to Baylor in a close game and then beaten Baylor in the conference championship, I think that would be easier for them to have Okie St. jump Cincinnati, but losing to Iowa St. is basically an indefensible loss for a playoff contender when there are other viable options (like if UC loses and ND loses, then sure put the other OSU in).

And I still have no idea how good Baylor actually is.  I mean they lost to TCU.  The same TCU that lost to SMU and Texas and barely beat Cal and Kansas.  TCU is a horrid loss and if Baylor can lose to them, I'm not sure how good they actually are when Baylor's non-conference games are Texas St., Texas Southern, and BYU.  BYU is an ok team, but they haven't exactly played a difficult schedule and lost to a 4 loss Boise team. 

The Big 12 is just bad this year.  When Houston, Boise St., BYU, and Nebraska are the best non-conference wins, it is really hard to get a read on the conference, especially when they've struggled in many of those non-conference games and the better teams have struggled within the conference.

Iowa St. isn’t a bad team.  They’re not great, but the computers have them at #31 on average.  OK St. lost on the road by a field goal.  That’s not a disqualifying loss if they get two big wins the next two weeks.  The Committee had Oregon ahead of Cinci despite a loss to a much worse Stanford team, and I think they’d likely bump OK St. if they win out.  Certainly Cinci would need to win convincingly.  Style points matter.

« Reply #112 on: November 24, 2021, 10:49:45 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Iowa St. isn’t a bad team.  They’re not great, but the computers have them at #31 on average.  OK St. lost on the road by a field goal.  That’s not a disqualifying loss if they get two big wins the next two weeks.  The Committee had Oregon ahead of Cinci despite a loss to a much worse Stanford team, and I think they’d likely bump OK St. if they win out.  Certainly Cinci would need to win convincingly.  Style points matter.
Iowa St. is 6-5.  A contender losing to them is a bad indefensible loss.  Their wins are Northern Iowa a 6-5 FCS school (a 6 point win mind you), 2-9 UNLV, 2-9 Kansas, 4-7 Texas, 7-4 Kansas St., and then 10-1 Oklahoma St.  They have losses to Iowa, Baylor, West Virginia, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma (they were all close losses, but losses nonetheless).  Oklahoma State losing to them is basically indefensible.  It is a bad loss and one the committee should not overlook.

« Reply #113 on: November 24, 2021, 12:57:14 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
And to clarify, I'm not saying that a 1 loss champion that plays a significantly better schedule and has some good quality wins should be behind Cincinnati.  A 1 loss Big Ten champion absolutely should be ahead of Cincinnati.  If the SEC champ has 1 loss, ahead of Cincinnati as well.  I just don't think Oklahoma St. as a 1 loss champion with a loss to Iowa St. should be.  As I said earlier, I could see a much better argument for Okie St. if they had lost a close game to Baylor and then beat them in the championship game to avenge the loss and that was their only loss.  A lot easier to overcome that sort of loss than a loss to Iowa St. 

That was also an issue I had with Oregon, but at least Oregon had the best win in the country (among playoff contenders) to counteract that terrible indefensible loss to Stanford. 

« Reply #114 on: November 27, 2021, 01:50:34 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Cincinnati won easily yesterday.  1 game to go, should be intersting.

Michigan up 14-13 on Ohio St. at halftime in a snowy cold day in Ann Arbor.  OSU starts 2nd half with the ball.

« Reply #115 on: November 27, 2021, 02:13:57 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Cincinnati won easily yesterday.  1 game to go, should be intersting.

Michigan up 14-13 on Ohio St. at halftime in a snowy cold day in Ann Arbor.  OSU starts 2nd half with the ball.

Man I hate when explosive teams do a three with straight runs. What was up with that? I get there is some snow but that was super conservative. Michigan now up 8. Need a more aggressive drive from osu here if they want to win.

« Reply #116 on: November 27, 2021, 02:14:34 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469

+1 for the bolded.  I don't think that is a bad loss.  It is hard to win on the road in the big12.  The top 4 teams in the Big 12 were closer than the standings might indicate.  Iowa State was ranked for part of the year.  Had some good wins, and is 7-5 not 6-5.  They have one of the top, if not top running back in the country.  Maybe Moranis doesn't follow big12 football enough, but ISU is a pretty talented team that didn't completely live up to expectations.  Baylor only beat Iowa State by 2 points in a really close game at Baylor (ISU outgained Baylor 479-282, Baylor was lucky to win the game)

They lost 4 big 12 games by a combined 19 points.  Those were really close games with Baylor, Oklahoma, WV and TT, where Iowa State was the road team for all of those games.  A couple plays shift and they could have easily won 2 of those games and then they are 9-3 and 7-2 with a chance to be in the big 12 championship game.  Sometimes the context matters.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 02:38:51 PM by blink »

« Reply #117 on: November 27, 2021, 03:45:00 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
What a win for Michigan! They are legit for sure
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #118 on: November 27, 2021, 03:46:50 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

+1 for the bolded.  I don't think that is a bad loss.  It is hard to win on the road in the big12.  The top 4 teams in the Big 12 were closer than the standings might indicate.  Iowa State was ranked for part of the year.  Had some good wins, and is 7-5 not 6-5.  They have one of the top, if not top running back in the country.  Maybe Moranis doesn't follow big12 football enough, but ISU is a pretty talented team that didn't completely live up to expectations.  Baylor only beat Iowa State by 2 points in a really close game at Baylor (ISU outgained Baylor 479-282, Baylor was lucky to win the game)

They lost 4 big 12 games by a combined 19 points.  Those were really close games with Baylor, Oklahoma, WV and TT, where Iowa State was the road team for all of those games.  A couple plays shift and they could have easily won 2 of those games and then they are 9-3 and 7-2 with a chance to be in the big 12 championship game.  Sometimes the context matters.
they were 6-5 when I posted it. And it is a bad loss for a contender.  You can't lose to a team with 5 losses, especially one that only beat 1 other FBS team with a winning record.  A team that beat a mediocre FCS team by 6 points. Iowa State is mediocre which makes it a bad loss.

« Reply #119 on: November 27, 2021, 04:47:06 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469

they were 6-5 when I posted it. And it is a bad loss for a contender.  You can't lose to a team with 5 losses, especially one that only beat 1 other FBS team with a winning record.  A team that beat a mediocre FCS team by 6 points. Iowa State is mediocre which makes it a bad loss.

bolded isn't true.  At least look up the actual information.  ISU beat Okie State and Kansas State.  Kansas State is 7-5 and going to a bowl as well.  Iowa State underperformed, but even with that they are bowl bound at 7-5.  4th in the Big12, ranked for a large part of the year.  The Okie State loss to Iowa State isn't a disqualifying loss for them.  It isn't like the Baylor's loss to TCU.  TCU isn't even bowl eligible and ISU routed TCU 48-14.