Author Topic: I'd take Mobley or Green over Cunningham.  (Read 7522 times)

I'd take Mobley or Green over Cunningham.
« on: July 28, 2021, 09:31:49 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Am I the only one that thinks both Green and Mobley will be better pros than Cunningham? All three will be good but Cunningham's athletism is questionable.

Re: I'd take Mobley or Green over Cunningham.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2021, 09:37:39 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Am I the only one that thinks both Green and Mobley will be better pros than Cunningham? All three will be good but Cunningham's athletism is questionable.

No, you are not. I think you can add Suggs to that list too.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 09:38:58 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I’m not much of a scout, but I’m confused by some of the hype.  Mobley is being compared to a hybrid of Anthony Davis and Chris Bosh.  I can’t imagine there being a better prospect than that, and yet he’s projected to go third.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2021, 09:39:11 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

I'm just not sure how Cunningham will look being guarded by top NBA defenders. He has a slow first step.

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2021, 09:44:39 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason

I'm just not sure how Cunningham will look being guarded by top NBA defenders. He has a slow first step.

People said the same thing about Tatum and now he’s practically unstoppable off the dribble. The answer is you enter the league as a decent pro and grow into someone who is an elite player with training and practice. Work ethic is super important in talent evaluation.

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2021, 09:45:44 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I would take Suggs, if I had the top pick. He is rock solid.

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2021, 09:48:54 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

People said the same thing about Tatum and now he’s practically unstoppable off the dribble. The answer is you enter the league as a decent pro and grow into someone who is an elite player with training and practice. Work ethic is super important in talent evaluation.

Tatum is way more athletic than Cunningham and Tatum has a better handle even when he first came out. I haven't heard anyone comparing Cunningham to Tatum.

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2021, 09:52:04 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I’m not much of a scout, but I’m confused by some of the hype.  Mobley is being compared to a hybrid of Anthony Davis and Chris Bosh.  I can’t imagine there being a better prospect than that, and yet he’s projected to go third.
I think teams are incredibly desperate to find the next Luka in Cade Cunningham. Problem being he is not Luka Doncic.

I would take Mobley first. I'm slightly more down on him than others, but a more athletically fluid Chris Bosh (which is basically how I project him) is basically a walking 20/10 guy with rim protection.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2021, 10:02:02 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Yep. Thank-you for not making me feel alone. Cunningham will be good and an all-star, but he’s more Kris Middleton to me than Luka Doncic. Green is an exciting prospect, but is a slightly better Zach Lavine (his ceiling) leading you to a championship?

Great athletes who are switchable, versatile defenders and who have good feel for team offense are the rarest type of player in the draft. They raise your floor and ceiling considerably. They make your scorers and shot creators better and take pressure off your defensive rotations.

I’d take Mobley first too. I’m a little nervous he won’t fill out enough to be a center consistently all season for all minutes, but that’s my only concern.

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2021, 10:09:49 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Yep. Thank-you for not making me feel alone. Cunningham will be good and an all-star, but he’s more Kris Middleton to me than Luka Doncic. Green is an exciting prospect, but is a slightly better Zach Lavine (his ceiling) leading you to a championship?

Great athletes who are switchable, versatile defenders and who have good feel for team offense are the rarest type of player in the draft. They raise your floor and ceiling considerably. They make your scorers and shot creators better and take pressure off your defensive rotations.

I’d take Mobley first too. I’m a little nervous he won’t fill out enough to be a center consistently all season for all minutes, but that’s my only concern.

This Mobley breakdown is pretty convincing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE4ua0MipI8&t=456s

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2021, 10:56:24 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
The draft is stacked. Even if you are out the top six you have to be excited for it. Who knows if one of the Johnsons or ZWill ends up being the best player this draft. We seen a lot of top picks not take the next step aND then have mid lottery draft guys excel.

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2021, 11:06:02 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Wow Cunningham is a really low floor guy with a really high, if unspectacular, ceiling. Think Tim Duncan.

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2021, 12:25:30 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
That Cunningham is not at all reliant on athleticism makes him an even better prospect, imo. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2021, 01:05:53 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
I'm not saying that Cunningham won't be a great player but he looks a little slow to me. When Luka was coming out I could see how good he was. I just haven't seen that with Cunningham. The draft is hard and guys who know way more than me make the picks. If I had the number one pick in this draft I think I'd take Mobley. Time will tell. It's too bad if Mobley has to go to The Cavs.

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2021, 01:43:53 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Scottie Barnes could easily end up being the best player taken in this draft. There are a couple other guys in the 6-13 area that might be this year's best player, as well. I think there is a good 6-7 players that credible arguments can be made for those players being the best player in this draft.

Cunningham certainly is one of them. He could be special. But so could Mobley, Green, Suggs, Barnes, Wagner, Giddey and Mitchell.