Author Topic: Baseball Question  (Read 11364 times)

Baseball Question
« on: April 05, 2021, 05:41:21 PM »

Offline 100% Celt

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 25
I was having a flick through different sports the other day out of boredom to see if anything I don't watch took my fancy (lockdown boredom). I noticed with baseball, when the pitcher throws the ball a small square appears on the TV screen in front of the batter and once the ball reaches him a tiny circle appears where the ball went with a number next to it. What is the purpose of the square, circle and what does the number indicate? Thanks.

I've put this in here rather than the baseball sub forum as I didn't want to disturb the flow of the discussion with a very basic question such as this. Also, I'm only curious as to this point as baseball doesn't do anything for me (sadly none of the American sports do apart from basketball which I love).

Re: Baseball Question
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 06:05:05 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
The little square (rectangle, actually) is the estimated strike zone—it's not official, but gives the viewer a pretty good idea of what the strike zone is. Each of the little dots represents a pitch that's been thrown. The numbers in the circles usually indicate which pitch it was in the pitching sequence for that at-bat—for example, if he's thrown four pitches, you'll see dots for numbers 1-4. I hope that all makes sense, but if not, ask some more!
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 06:05:34 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The square is the strike zone. It is an approximation of where the umpire will call a strike if the ball passes through that area.

The circle is the ball and is an approximation of where the ball was when it passed over the plate. If it hits the edge of the square or is in it, the ump should probably have called the pitch a strike. If the circle is outside the square the pitch should have been call a ball.

The number is pitch thrown to the batter, first, second, etc.

They also will give you the speed of the pitch in miles per hour

Regarding the square, baseball rules are such that a strike is call if the pitch is over home plate and located between the player's knees and armpits as he is in his batting stance. Therefore, the strike zone(the square) is a little different for every batter.

Also..... umpires have very different strike zones than is the letter of the law definition in the rulebook. Not sure how it evolved to be that way, but nowadays a strike is more likely to be from the top of your shin to slightly over your waist. Some umpires have wider strike zones, other narrower. Others locate the zone higher or lower. And still others elongate or squeeze the zone from top to bottom.

It's all subjective and is a problem with the sport, unfortunately.

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 09:06:28 PM »

Offline 100% Celt

• The Green Kornet
Thanks both. Was just curious. The speed of the ball makes sense because the numbers were high; like between 85-95. I didn't watch too much of it because sports where there is regular significant breaks in play like cricket (similar in a broad sense to baseball) and golf don't do much for me. Thought I'd give it a try though because I'm a believer that you can't say you don't like something until you've sampled it.

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2021, 09:14:51 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
If you want to see the sport in all it's glory, drama, excitement and quality of play with some all time greats, go watch the 2004 American League Championship Series Boston Red Sox vs New York Yankees. If you watch all 7 games in their entirety it's maybe 35-40 hours.

That series is the embodiment of the saying it's not over til it's over and also, what baseball is when it's played at the highest level.

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2021, 09:19:02 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
If you want to see the sport in all it's glory, drama, excitement and quality of play with some all time greats, go watch the 2004 American League Championship Series Boston Red Sox vs New York Yankees. If you watch all 7 games in their entirety it's maybe 35-40 hours.

That series is the embodiment of the saying it's not over til it's over and also, what baseball is when it's played at the highest level.

This is a good idea, or better yet just start with game 4 of that series. Lol

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2021, 09:23:31 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

You have to watch the first three games to understand just how historic and improbable the last four games were. After the first three games you feel like you are watching one thing, only to realize much later, you are watching something quite different.

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2021, 09:43:27 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

You have to watch the first three games to understand just how historic and improbable the last four games were. After the first three games you feel like you are watching one thing, only to realize much later, you are watching something quite different.

Good point.

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2021, 11:31:41 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

and he is mandated to do heavy drinking, very heavy drinking, after game seven. that is if he wants to get the "true" historical understanding of the series.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2021, 03:10:22 PM »

Offline 100% Celt

• The Green Kornet
Sadly it's definitely not a sport for me. I knew that within about five minutes of watching it. As I said, the fact that there are more breaks than there is play like in cricket or golf just doesn't work for me. I appreciate how important it is to some people though and that that is simply my opinion and has no greater or lesser value than that.  :)

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2021, 04:24:43 PM »

Offline nyceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31

I know this is going to get me reamed on a Boston board, but being from NY, I much prefer the 2003 Red Sox-Yankees series!

But to be fair, both series were fantastic and displayed the attitude that Nick alluded to above.