Author Topic: The Plan  (Read 8878 times)

Re: The Plan
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2021, 09:35:07 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Its a good Plan...except for the fact it seems to rely on the idea of Beal forcing his way out of DC and onto the Celts...so its more of good Wish.
Yeah, and not only that but friends on different teams don't always try to force their way onto the same team with friends. Here are some:

John Wall and Damian Lillard.

Chris Paul and LeBron James.

Klay Thompson and Kevin Love.

Carmelo Anthony and LeBron James.

Kyle Lowry and Jimmy Butler.

Yes, sometimes guys with power get try to force actions to get their friends on their teams. But, some don't. Some just want great ballers on their teams. Harden's run of star teammates that weren't necessarily his friends come to mind. LeBron's need to have Kyrie and Love is another.

So, there is no certainty that Beal or Tatum will force teams to put them together. Both may decide to just have ballers on their teams like Tatum with Brown or Beal with Westbrook. Beal and Tatum forcing themselves together is no foregone conclusion, like many here seem to think.

It seems pretty clear that they would like to play together at some point...

"I’ve never, in organized basketball, played on the same team with him,” Tatum said of Beal after the Celtics' 111-110 win over Washington. "So, that’d be special for us if we can. It's going to be our first All-Star game together, but hopefully, we’ll be on the same team."

He’s a special talent," Beal told reporters after Tatum scored six unanswered points in the final 45 seconds to seal the victory. "Everybody knows our relationship. Everybody knows we compete but we pull for each other. I’m p---ed off he actually got to get going against us."

After the All-Star game:

“It was fun,” Beal said. “It was fun, man. That’s my brother. That’s my brother forever. It was very unique and awesome to be able to share a floor with him, for us both to get going. Like I said before, we’ve never been on the same team. That in itself was a little honor. We were both ecstatic about it, and we were happy. St. Louis boys have to stick together.

“Everybody knows how close we are and the history we have, and it’s just a really special moment,” Tatum said. “Two guys from the same high school, same neighborhood, kind of grew up together, starting in the All-Star game from St. Louis, it don’t get no better than that.”
I'm not getting any definitive feelings that they want to play together so much that they would force teams to trade to get them on the same team.

I'm getting they are friends and have a lot of mutual respect for each other, but not getting out of that what you are. I think they were just saying how great it was to be All-Star teammates.

I’m not saying that is definitive, either.  I would say that it’s likely. It’s also likely that Beal will not be returning to the Wizards after next year and likely that the Wizards will be looking to move him after this season concludes. Tatum has recruited players in the past and I think it would be likely that he would do the same for one of his closest friends. He played a big role when it came to Kemba joining the C’s.

Excited about former UConn luminary Kemba Walker joining the team, Tatum gushed about his role in convincing the three-time All-Star to sign with the team:

“I’m very excited … I think I had a big part with him coming here. I was with him in Paris … I never told him to come, but I told him I would love for him to join the team and told him how it was. Obviously everybody has to do what’s best for themselves, and I’m happy for him.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/celticswire.usatoday.com/2019/08/02/jayson-tatum-tells-how-he-helped-recruit-kemba-walker-to-boston/amp/

"Me and Jayson actually spoke for quite some time," Walker said of their interactions in Paris. "Jayson’s such a good guy, such a great player. For the most part, I like being around high-character guys with work ethic. Just guys who I can be around, be myself around. That’s kind of the vibe I got from JT when I was around him."

"When we left Paris, as the days went on and free agency came and I made my decision, a lot was because of him.” -Kemba

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/kemba-walker-details-how-jayson-tatum-recruited-him-jordan-event-paris
That's all nice and all but it's all very speculative.

Will have to agree to disagree on all this, especially since Beal continually denies wanting to move on from Washington, even as soon as last month. From NBC sports:

“He doesn’t want to quit on something,” Beal’s agent, Mark Bartelstein of Priority Sports & Entertainment, told Yahoo Sports. “He’s an incredibly loyal guy, and he wants to always feel like he’s done everything he can to help something or someone be successful. It’s the way he was raised and what his values are based upon. It’s ingrained in him. It’s what makes him, in my mind, so unique. He’s all about the right things.”

“Brad’s never been someone to run from adversity,” Pure Sweat Basketball’s Drew Hanlen, Beal’s longtime trainer, told Yahoo Sports. “While a lot of other stars have chosen to blame others and run to another team where things are easier, Brad wants to stick things out and help turn the Wizards into a winning franchise.”

« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2021, 09:45:19 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Its a good Plan...except for the fact it seems to rely on the idea of Beal forcing his way out of DC and onto the Celts...so its more of good Wish.
Yeah, and not only that but friends on different teams don't always try to force their way onto the same team with friends. Here are some:

John Wall and Damian Lillard.

Chris Paul and LeBron James.

Klay Thompson and Kevin Love.

Carmelo Anthony and LeBron James.

Kyle Lowry and Jimmy Butler.

Yes, sometimes guys with power get try to force actions to get their friends on their teams. But, some don't. Some just want great ballers on their teams. Harden's run of star teammates that weren't necessarily his friends come to mind. LeBron's need to have Kyrie and Love is another.

So, there is no certainty that Beal or Tatum will force teams to put them together. Both may decide to just have ballers on their teams like Tatum with Brown or Beal with Westbrook. Beal and Tatum forcing themselves together is no foregone conclusion, like many here seem to think.

It seems pretty clear that they would like to play together at some point...

"I’ve never, in organized basketball, played on the same team with him,” Tatum said of Beal after the Celtics' 111-110 win over Washington. "So, that’d be special for us if we can. It's going to be our first All-Star game together, but hopefully, we’ll be on the same team."

He’s a special talent," Beal told reporters after Tatum scored six unanswered points in the final 45 seconds to seal the victory. "Everybody knows our relationship. Everybody knows we compete but we pull for each other. I’m p---ed off he actually got to get going against us."

After the All-Star game:

“It was fun,” Beal said. “It was fun, man. That’s my brother. That’s my brother forever. It was very unique and awesome to be able to share a floor with him, for us both to get going. Like I said before, we’ve never been on the same team. That in itself was a little honor. We were both ecstatic about it, and we were happy. St. Louis boys have to stick together.

“Everybody knows how close we are and the history we have, and it’s just a really special moment,” Tatum said. “Two guys from the same high school, same neighborhood, kind of grew up together, starting in the All-Star game from St. Louis, it don’t get no better than that.”
I'm not getting any definitive feelings that they want to play together so much that they would force teams to trade to get them on the same team.

I'm getting they are friends and have a lot of mutual respect for each other, but not getting out of that what you are. I think they were just saying how great it was to be All-Star teammates.

I’m not saying that is definitive, either.  I would say that it’s likely. It’s also likely that Beal will not be returning to the Wizards after next year and likely that the Wizards will be looking to move him after this season concludes. Tatum has recruited players in the past and I think it would be likely that he would do the same for one of his closest friends. He played a big role when it came to Kemba joining the C’s.

Excited about former UConn luminary Kemba Walker joining the team, Tatum gushed about his role in convincing the three-time All-Star to sign with the team:

“I’m very excited … I think I had a big part with him coming here. I was with him in Paris … I never told him to come, but I told him I would love for him to join the team and told him how it was. Obviously everybody has to do what’s best for themselves, and I’m happy for him.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/celticswire.usatoday.com/2019/08/02/jayson-tatum-tells-how-he-helped-recruit-kemba-walker-to-boston/amp/

"Me and Jayson actually spoke for quite some time," Walker said of their interactions in Paris. "Jayson’s such a good guy, such a great player. For the most part, I like being around high-character guys with work ethic. Just guys who I can be around, be myself around. That’s kind of the vibe I got from JT when I was around him."

"When we left Paris, as the days went on and free agency came and I made my decision, a lot was because of him.” -Kemba

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/kemba-walker-details-how-jayson-tatum-recruited-him-jordan-event-paris
That's all nice and all but it's all very speculative.

Will have to agree to disagree on all this, especially since Beal continually denies wanting to move on from Washington, even as soon as last month. From NBC sports:

“He doesn’t want to quit on something,” Beal’s agent, Mark Bartelstein of Priority Sports & Entertainment, told Yahoo Sports. “He’s an incredibly loyal guy, and he wants to always feel like he’s done everything he can to help something or someone be successful. It’s the way he was raised and what his values are based upon. It’s ingrained in him. It’s what makes him, in my mind, so unique. He’s all about the right things.”

“Brad’s never been someone to run from adversity,” Pure Sweat Basketball’s Drew Hanlen, Beal’s longtime trainer, told Yahoo Sports. “While a lot of other stars have chosen to blame others and run to another team where things are easier, Brad wants to stick things out and help turn the Wizards into a winning franchise.”

Well, Of course it’s speculation. Lol. If it wasn’t, there wouldn’t be much to talk about .
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2021, 11:08:01 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
It's not KAT, but I'd make a play for Vucevic this offseason with the TPE. I think he can be had for 2-3 first round picks, and assuming we'll likely lose at least 1 of Theis/Thompson in the offseason, Vucevic can slot in and I think he'd be a great #3 guy on a championship team. He's playing like an All-Star this season and I feel he's been a bit underrated too over the past 2-3 years.

Some things will depend on what happens in the postseason this year. But honestly, if we could manage to get Vucevic while keeping at least one of Timelord/Smart and a lot of our other main guys, we should do it. And yeah, I love Smart but come on, can we stop acting like he's 'untouchable"?? Not at all advocating we just dump him, but if we have another frustrating postseason then really there's no reason not to make him expendable in a trade this offseason for value. Build with Jaylen + Tatum.

Kemba's contract is up after next season anyways, and I don't think we can ignore that the goal should be to contend with Jaylen + Tatum soon. I know they say they love Boston and signed extensions recently, but as we know in this league things change real fast. If DA decides to set up a rebuild of sorts or doesn't signal any move(s) to "go for it", I think that could upset 1 or both of them.

I know Vucevic is not the popular option over a guy like Beal or KAT, but I doubt you can get either without giving up Jaylen, and also maybe I'm underrating him but I don't see "superstar" in KAT. All-Star? Absolutely. Superstar like an AD or Jokic? No.

Vucevic doesn’t fit Jaylen and Jaysons timeline. He’s going to be 31 this year, I also don’t think he’s good enough to pair with the J’s as the 3rd star player.

Maybe, but I really don't think the "timeline" part matters that much. Like sure, if he was 35 years old I agree. At 31, he is still someone who has probably 2-3, maybe 4 more high-quality seasons left in him, and after that the C's could search for another star to complement the Jays. I mean, by that logic why did we even sign Kemba, or why acquire Horford when we did?

Also, Vucevic is a Top-5 center in the league this season so I can't see why he wouldn't be a fine #3 guy on a championship team.

I'm not saying Vucevic is my Plan A, but of all the options he's the most realistic for the TPE in the offseason. If we had a chance to get Beal while not needing to give up Jaylen or Tatum, hell yeah I'd do it.

I don’t see the C’s getting past the Nets this year or next and adding Vucevic is not going to change that. If they have to wait a few years for their shot, I wouldn’t want To add a 3rd star player that is on the wrong side of 30.

I hate everything about making roster decisions because you have decided someone else is too good to beat. If you are on a good team and you have that attitude in pro sports, you should just go home if you don't want to compete to win. That type of attitude should not exist in your organization.
[/b]

Amen. Planning to win titles after your rivals get older is a loser mentality.

Hey, if you want to live in a fantasy world where Kemba, Jaylen and Jayson are going to be able to outgun prime Kyrie, Harden and KD, you can. I know being realistic isn’t always fun.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2021, 10:29:16 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Beal non committal on future with Washington after their loss to Philly... Hopefully the wheels are in motion for him to ask out. 
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eNMltAZhtDM&t=1s

He did previously state after signing his extension, which was a 1 year, Plus a player option, that he wanted to keep his options open if the team wasn’t winning.

"You still want to be able to protect yourself and kinda be selfish. How can I create some type of flexibility for myself if we aren’t winning, if I do choose to get out."

Tatum played a big role in recruiting Kemba, so let’s hope that he can do the same with his good friend, Beal. Time to put the plan in motion...
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 10:40:07 AM by Goldstar88 »

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2021, 10:34:54 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Brad gonna blow it up.  ;D
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2021, 10:38:23 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Beal non committal on future with Washington after their loss to Philly... Hopefully the wheels are in motion for him to ask out. 

He did state after signing his extension, which was a 1 year,
Plus a player option, that he wanted to keep his options open if the team wasn’t winning.

"You still want to be able to protect yourself and kinda be selfish. How can I create some type of flexibility for myself if we aren’t winning, if I do choose to get out."

Tatum played a big role in recruiting Kemba, so let’s hope that he can do the same with his good friend, Beal. Time to put the plan in motion...

Lol, I read that and immediately thought, maybe we shouldn't want Beal.

« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2021, 11:16:32 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Tatum HAS to recruit Bradley Beal this offseason. I think he's their best chance at getting a real 3rd star to pair with Jaylen and Tatum moving forward. Doubt KAT is available and even if he was, it'd definitely cost Jaylen and others in a package.

I think I read somewhere that the C's can keep Fournier at a reasonable rate due to Bird Rights, so in theory if you're able to keep Jaylen, Brown, Timelord and then add Beal + keep Fournier, you might really have something. Or if Timelord is in that package, then I'm sure they can find someone with the MLE or something to fill that role.

You'd also hope some members of the bench show flashes and continue improving (1 of Nesmith/Romeo - whoever isn't dealt, Jabari, etc.) but I think we're seeing in these playoffs that starpower does matter. As ugly as it looked our bench actually wasn't bad statistically compared to BKN's. Lakers lost AD for a bit and suddenly they look mediocre.

Stars win in this league. Time to get aggressive and make the move to add one. Having a solid bench is good but you can probably grab 1 or 2 "ring-chasing guys" once you add starpower. In today's NBA that's not difficult to do. I'm also hoping Jabari Parker with a full offseason and a little familiarity in the system can show good progress for next season. He could be underrated.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2021, 11:16:59 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
I really don’t see Celtics doing any major moves,, may get a vet free agent or two who are cheap
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2021, 11:20:45 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Obviously just me guessing, but I think Brown for Beal is a done deal unless Washington gets a better offer.

Beal gets to play with his buddy JT, and JB gets to go to Washington where he can continue and expand his role as a pseudo-politician.

« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2021, 11:30:37 AM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
The Celtics should offer Kemba plus a boatload of draft capital and Timelord to Washington for Beale. If you've got those three players, you don't need all of those future assets. On the other hand, if you trade Brown it's something of a lateral move. That is, you'd still need to hunt for that third star to be able to challenge for a title.

« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2021, 11:40:29 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Obviously just me guessing, but I think Brown for Beal is a done deal unless Washington gets a better offer.

Beal gets to play with his buddy JT, and JB gets to go to Washington where he can continue and expand his role as a pseudo-politician.

::)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2021, 12:26:20 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166

Plus a player option, that he wanted to keep his options open if the team wasn’t winning.

LOL, I saw and thought the same thing.....
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2021, 12:28:31 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
The Celtics should offer Kemba plus a boatload of draft capital and Timelord to Washington for Beale. If you've got those three players, you don't need all of those future assets. On the other hand, if you trade Brown it's something of a lateral move. That is, you'd still need to hunt for that third star to be able to challenge for a title.
this is the point I've been making throughout the "trade JB for Beal" threads.  swapping those 2 is a lateral move at best.

« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2021, 02:28:22 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

LOL, I saw and thought the same thing.....

Well, if Kemba’s salary allows us to bring in Beal and Tatum is once again the person that convinces another all star to come to Boston, I will take it.

« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2021, 03:37:38 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Jayson Tatum recruiting Bradley Beal? He was successful in convincing Kemba to sign... Jayson Tatum: Allstar Forward, Assistant GM.

Abby Chin: Just reported @NBCSBoston — Here’s what Jayson Tatum told me this morning when I asked him about Bradley Beal: Do you even broach the subject of recruiting when you talk to Bradley Beal? Jayson Tatum: Yeah. We’ve talked about it plenty of times. I think, moreso, just thinking about how cool it would be to play with him. Just how we grew up and how close we are. It’s something I’ve always dreamed about. We didn’t get the opportunity with the USA team, but we did get to play with each other in the all star game last year which was a special moment. You know what I mean. Just, like playing in the NBA with your big brother. Who wouldn’t want to do that?

What does he say in response? Jayson Tatum: There’s a lot that goes into that. Obviously. And there’s decisions that he would have to make, what’s best for his family. The idea of it we both like the idea of it for sure. via Twitter