Author Topic: The Plan  (Read 8826 times)

The Plan
« on: March 14, 2021, 02:09:14 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
I think Danny is waiting to make a move for Bradley Beal. Unlikely to happen this year, since Washington’s asking price is going to be too high, but in the off-season, when Beal will be in the final year of his contract with a player option for the next. If a trade is made in the off-season, Kemba would need to be involved with multiple first round picks/swap options and young players such as Pritchard, Langford, Nesmith.

It’s clear that the C’s are not good enough with Kemba as the 3rd “star” and he’s turning 31 in a few months, so his age is not in-line with with Jayson and Jaylen. Beal however, is still only 27, so he would have 4-5 prime years left.

I don’t think a core of Brown, Tatum, and Beal is good enough to get past the Nets next year, however, the year after could be the C’s time. KD will be turning 35, Harden will be 34 and Kyrie will be 31. At that point Brown will be 27, Tatum will be 26, and Beal will be 30. That is the time When the C’s big 3 would likely be able to overtake the Nets. Boston could very well have the best trio of stars in the NBA as well.

I think Beal would be interested in coming to Boston to team up with Tatum, since they have a very close friendship. Ive heard Beal and Tatum talk about one another in postgame interviews and I can’t imagine that these two have not discussed playing together. With Tatum being tied up through 2024/2025 season, Beal to Boston might be their only opportunity to do so. If Bradley wants to be in Boston, he just needs to follow AD and Hardens lead. At the end of the day these star players that have 1 or 2 years left on their contract are going to get to whatever team they want to. Just have to hope that the destination where Beal wants to be is Boston.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 02:36:23 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Re: The Plan
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2021, 02:39:18 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Beal trade very likely will require giving up Jaylen Brown.  Are you okay with that?

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2021, 02:43:31 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Two points: (1) I don't think Beal is the answer. He's undoubtedly one of the best scorers in the NBA, but our team ultimately needs a dominant player in a non-wing position in order to get over the top IMO. (2) We'd likely have to give up Brown in order to acquire Beal, which sort of negates the plan you're describing.

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2021, 02:45:27 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Beal trade very likely will require giving up Jaylen Brown.  Are you okay with that?

Not really how these things work.

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2021, 02:46:49 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349

Go on...

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2021, 02:57:46 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Go on...

When a star player forces his way to a contender his team never gets a comparable star in return.

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2021, 02:59:39 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Go on...

Most trades of superstars don’t involve all-stars going the other way.    In our case, though, that’s probably what we’d have to pay unless our young players develop and show serious potential.

One idea:  acquire Barnes.  Package Barnes + Smart + several #1s and young players in the off-season.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2021, 03:04:08 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
It's not KAT, but I'd make a play for Vucevic this offseason with the TPE. I think he can be had for 2-3 first round picks, and assuming we'll likely lose at least 1 of Theis/Thompson in the offseason, Vucevic can slot in and I think he'd be a great #3 guy on a championship team. He's playing like an All-Star this season and I feel he's been a bit underrated too over the past 2-3 years.

Some things will depend on what happens in the postseason this year. But honestly, if we could manage to get Vucevic while keeping at least one of Timelord/Smart and a lot of our other main guys, we should do it. And yeah, I love Smart but come on, can we stop acting like he's 'untouchable"?? Not at all advocating we just dump him, but if we have another frustrating postseason then really there's no reason not to make him expendable in a trade this offseason for value. Build with Jaylen + Tatum.

Kemba's contract is up after next season anyways, and I don't think we can ignore that the goal should be to contend with Jaylen + Tatum soon. I know they say they love Boston and signed extensions recently, but as we know in this league things change real fast. If DA decides to set up a rebuild of sorts or doesn't signal any move(s) to "go for it", I think that could upset 1 or both of them.

I know Vucevic is not the popular option over a guy like Beal or KAT, but I doubt you can get either without giving up Jaylen, and also maybe I'm underrating him but I don't see "superstar" in KAT. All-Star? Absolutely. Superstar like an AD or Jokic? No.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2021, 03:15:18 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Jaylen would not have to be involved. If Beal says he wants to go to Boston and his agent tells Washington that he’s not re-signing with any other team in which Washington Is looking to trade with, what choice do the Wizards have. What star player did Brooklyn give up for Harden?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 04:09:59 PM by Goldstar88 »
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2021, 03:19:40 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Two points: (1) I don't think Beal is the answer. He's undoubtedly one of the best scorers in the NBA, but our team ultimately needs a dominant player in a non-wing position in order to get over the top IMO. (2) We'd likely have to give up Brown in order to acquire Beal, which sort of negates the plan you're describing.

The Warriors didn’t have a dominant big during their dynasty. Their best players were guards and Wings.  With Beal just having one year under contract after this year, Washington can’t expect to get another star in return. They also can’t risk losing him for nothing.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 03:39:05 PM by Goldstar88 »

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2021, 04:55:02 PM »

Online mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 610
Its a good Plan...except for the fact it seems to rely on the idea of Beal forcing his way out of DC and onto the Celts...so its more of good Wish.

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2021, 05:21:03 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Its a good Plan...except for the fact it seems to rely on the idea of Beal forcing his way out of DC and onto the Celts...so its more of good Wish.
Yeah, and not only that but friends on different teams don't always try to force their way onto the same team with friends. Here are some:

John Wall and Damian Lillard.

Chris Paul and LeBron James.

Klay Thompson and Kevin Love.

Carmelo Anthony and LeBron James.

Kyle Lowry and Jimmy Butler.

Yes, sometimes guys with power get try to force actions to get their friends on their teams. But, some don't. Some just want great ballers on their teams. Harden's run of star teammates that weren't necessarily his friends come to mind. LeBron's need to have Kyrie and Love is another.

So, there is no certainty that Beal or Tatum will force teams to put them together. Both may decide to just have ballers on their teams like Tatum with Brown or Beal with Westbrook. Beal and Tatum forcing themselves together is no foregone conclusion, like many here seem to think.

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2021, 05:49:42 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
If this worked in the off-season (the Knicks have a ton of expiring contracts), we would be blessed as Kemba would love to return home and the Wizards would love three first-round picks for a guy who was going to walk (and would now have one of the largest TPEs in history):

https://tradenba.com/trades/F70Ts0HSc

Then we turn around and try to use the Hayward TPE on a 1/2. Any chance of VanVleet or one of the Spurs’ guards becoming available for 2022/2024 swaps and our 2025 1st, maybe throw in some seconds? Rubio could be had for the 2021 2nd most likely. We could always go with Smart/Pritchard/Langford/Madar/Edwards as our backup guards to Beal and instead pursue a C/PF. I bet we could get Al Horford for the 2021 2nd...in any case, we’d have the picks to add a Hayward TPE to our amazing lineup below (well, amazing if the bench stays healthy and develops into solid rotational players commesorate with their draft position):

Smart/Pritchard/Madar/Edwards
Beal/Langford
Brown/Nesmith
Tatum/G. Williams
TT/R. Williams

Hayward TPE + re-sign Theis (or use the TPE on Horford instead of re-signing Theis) and we’re good to go competing for the title...
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 05:58:28 PM by GreenlyGreeny »

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2021, 06:08:43 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
It's not KAT, but I'd make a play for Vucevic this offseason with the TPE. I think he can be had for 2-3 first round picks, and assuming we'll likely lose at least 1 of Theis/Thompson in the offseason, Vucevic can slot in and I think he'd be a great #3 guy on a championship team. He's playing like an All-Star this season and I feel he's been a bit underrated too over the past 2-3 years.

Some things will depend on what happens in the postseason this year. But honestly, if we could manage to get Vucevic while keeping at least one of Timelord/Smart and a lot of our other main guys, we should do it. And yeah, I love Smart but come on, can we stop acting like he's 'untouchable"?? Not at all advocating we just dump him, but if we have another frustrating postseason then really there's no reason not to make him expendable in a trade this offseason for value. Build with Jaylen + Tatum.

Kemba's contract is up after next season anyways, and I don't think we can ignore that the goal should be to contend with Jaylen + Tatum soon. I know they say they love Boston and signed extensions recently, but as we know in this league things change real fast. If DA decides to set up a rebuild of sorts or doesn't signal any move(s) to "go for it", I think that could upset 1 or both of them.

I know Vucevic is not the popular option over a guy like Beal or KAT, but I doubt you can get either without giving up Jaylen, and also maybe I'm underrating him but I don't see "superstar" in KAT. All-Star? Absolutely. Superstar like an AD or Jokic? No.

Vucevic doesn’t fit Jaylen and Jaysons timeline. He’s going to be 31 this year, I also don’t think he’s good enough to pair with the J’s as the 3rd star player. 

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2021, 06:36:12 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Go on...

When a star player forces his way to a contender his team never gets a comparable star in return.

Sorry, I missed the news release that Beal is demanding a trade. My bad.