Author Topic: NFL 2021 Season  (Read 173153 times)

Re: NFL 2021 Season
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2021, 05:55:41 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Draft is 2 days away... What are your predictions?

I see Bill drafting a defensive player at 15 and trading for Jimmy G. With all of the Off-season signings, I can’t see the Pats moving up in the draft and taking a chance on Fields or Lance. They are in “win now“ mode and drafting a QB in the first round that has maybe a 50/50 chance of working out doesn’t seem like something Bill would do at this point. Jimmy G with Cam as the insurance policy seems like a safer bet.

Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2021, 06:11:48 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Draft is 2 days away... What are your predictions?

I see Bill drafting a defensive player at 15 and trading for Jimmy G. With all of the Off-season signings, I can’t see the Pats moving up in the draft and taking a chance on Fields or Lance. They are in “win now“ mode and drafting a QB in the first round that has maybe a 50/50 chance of working out doesn’t seem like something Bill would do at this point. Jimmy G with Cam as the insurance policy seems like a safer bet.

I’d be good with that.  Jimmy is brittle but a good QB when on the field.   Cam is not a starting QB anymore imo but might be a really nice backup. Bill would also scheme him into games as a weapon. 

That said, I think moving up (for a QB) OR down are just as likely as staying put.  How’s that for covering my bases?

« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2021, 06:30:28 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I don't see the Pats drafting a QB. Maybe trade for someone, Jimmy G, sure, if not costly (2nd rounder again??).

« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2021, 10:37:15 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Why is the assumption that a trade for Garoppolo will cost a second round pick? The Pats traded him for a second rounder wen he was 25. He is now 29, and will turn 30 in November. The 49ers paid a kings ransom to move up to #3 to pick a QB, and in turn, devalued Garoppolo. They essentially have admitted too that they made the move because Jimmy is unreliable due to his injury history. So with that in mind, I would think a fourth and sixth round pick in this year's draft should be enough.

« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2021, 10:49:48 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Why is the assumption that a trade for Garoppolo will cost a second round pick? The Pats traded him for a second rounder wen he was 25. He is now 29, and will turn 30 in November. The 49ers paid a kings ransom to move up to #3 to pick a QB, and in turn, devalued Garoppolo. They essentially have admitted too that they made the move because Jimmy is unreliable due to his injury history. So with that in mind, I would think a fourth and sixth round pick in this year's draft should be enough.

It’s hard to judge QB value.  Wentz got Philly a 3rd and a conditional second.  Darnold returned a 2nd, 4th and 6th.  Matt Stafford brought 1/1/3 plus Jared Goff.  Last year, Nick Foles was traded for a 4th rounder.

I can see JG getting traded for a 2nd.  I can also see him getting traded for a 5th, or not traded at all.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2021, 11:43:35 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
He also had barely played before he was traded by the Pats in the middle of the season.  I wouldn't be surprised if JG cost a 1st rounder, because while he is injury prone, he has also been the definition of a winner.  I mean San Fran was a Super Bowl team with him healthy and a complete dreg without him.  The record with JG and without him in San Fran since they acquired him is perhaps the most drastic differential we've ever seen, especially over that many seasons. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2021, 11:49:45 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
What if by some miracle, the Patriots stay at 15 and Justin Fields falls into their lap. Could the Pats flip Fields for Deshaun Watson? Should the Patriots even consider it, in this situation?

« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2021, 12:05:04 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
What if by some miracle, the Patriots stay at 15 and Justin Fields falls into their lap. Could the Pats flip Fields for Deshaun Watson? Should the Patriots even consider it, in this situation?

Watson is radioactive at this point. That would be a terrible move.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2021, 12:32:00 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

Watson is radioactive at this point. That would be a terrible move.

Watson's next snap could very well be in a penal league.  No thanks.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2021, 01:30:41 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I predict that Garoppolo is not traded at all much less to the Patriots.  They are still asking too much for a mediocre QB (is he better than Nick Foles?) who is brittle and on a big contract.  If I was the 49ers, I would keep him and play him until he is injured again and hope the rookie is ready by then.

As to the Patriots, I don't see a trade up.  It feels like teams would ask too much and the Patriots would balk.  A QB (Fields or Lance) may still drop to them at 15 even without a trade and at that point, maybe they take one of them.  If not, they probably will get a top defensive player like Micah Parsons or it is possible that someone like Devonte Smith (who I really like) drops to them.

I get the feeling from all the reporting that the Patriots don't value these QBs as highly as fans do.  It seems more Belichick like to let other teams over draft them and then pick up a high value player that drops as a result.

« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2021, 02:22:26 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Panthers traded Bridgewater to the Broncos for a 6th rounder opening up the likelihood they will be taking one of the top 5 QBs.

If(huge if) Belichick is looking for one of those QBs, he's probably going have to overpay and trade with Detroit now.

« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2021, 02:44:23 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Panthers traded Bridgewater to the Broncos for a 6th rounder opening up the likelihood they will be taking one of the top 5 QBs.

If(huge if) Belichick is looking for one of those QBs, he's probably going have to overpay and trade with Detroit now.

Panthers already traded quite a bit to get Darnold from the Jets. I doubt they take a QB in the first round.

« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2021, 02:54:45 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Panthers already traded quite a bit to get Darnold from the Jets. I doubt they take a QB in the first round.
Been a bunch of rumors around Carolina that if they moved Bridgewater then a QB was the likely pick. Todd McShay reported he heard from a league GM and scout that the Panthers were looking at a QB. And that was before moving Bridgewater.

« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2021, 02:57:24 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

They gave up a 6th this year plus a 2nd & 4th rounder next year.    I don't think that will necessarily stop them from taking a QB in the first round

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2021, 03:16:37 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

They gave up a 6th this year plus a 2nd & 4th rounder next year.    I don't think that will necessarily stop them from taking a QB in the first round

I could see them having a board where if one of 3 QBs make it to them, they'll go with that guy, but maybe not any of the top 5..  They spent enough capital on Darnold to be willing to roll with him for a year and see what they've got.  If they wanted a placeholder until their 1st round QB is ready, they'd have just stuck  with Bridgewater.