Author Topic: Lord of the Rings  (Read 6352 times)

Lord of the Rings
« on: January 08, 2021, 06:45:54 PM »

Online mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 610
My wife and kids wanna watch Lord of the Rings. They've all read the hobbit. I've read all the books numerous times, and seen all the movies except maybe 2nd Hobbitt.

Which movie should I start with? Fellowship or Hobbitt?

Re: Lord of the Rings
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2021, 06:49:11 PM »

Offline Alec14

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 60
Fellowship. It's much, much better than the bloated mess that was the Hobbit trilogy.

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2021, 06:51:55 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Fellowship. Much better films and, if you can, get the extended versions.

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2021, 06:54:26 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Ditto what the others said: Rings trilogy first, extended versions if you can. I enjoy the Hobbit trilogy for its entertainment value, but it's definitely not as good as the Rings trilogy.

And it's awesome that they all want to watch!
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2021, 06:55:38 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Skip The Hobbit.  There’s an older animated version.  I’d recommend that instead.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2021, 06:58:10 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
LOTR Series was so great. Hobbit films were disappointing, though. I can’t believe The Fellowship of the Ring was first in theatre's 20 years ago now.... think I’m going to rewatch as well. I have all the extended in HD lol. TP to you for starting this thread   :)
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2021, 06:59:14 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Lord of the Rings all the way

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2021, 07:01:05 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Another vote for LOTR.

Don’t know how old your kids are; be prepared there are a lot of battle scenes. Not too graphic but, you know, swords and arrows.

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2021, 07:04:28 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Side note.... Has anyone heard anything on the Amazon series being made that’s supposed to be a prequel to the LOTR?
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2021, 07:07:24 PM »

Online mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 610
Thanks for ur quick decisive replys!

Love this place, TPs

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2021, 07:07:25 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Side note.... Has anyone heard anything on the Amazon series being made that’s supposed to be a prequel to the LOTR?

This year release supposedly. It is a prequel.

https://www.indiewire.com/gallery/amazons-lord-of-the-rings-explained-plot-cast/

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2021, 07:34:26 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Fellowship. The Hobbit is more of a curiosity. Worth watching, but meh.

You watch the Fellowship, and you leave awestruck. Some liberties were taken, but overall an amazing Trilogy that has few matches in the history of cinema.
#JKJB

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2021, 07:41:16 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
My wife and kids wanna watch Lord of the Rings. They've all read the hobbit. I've read all the books numerous times, and seen all the movies except maybe 2nd Hobbitt.

As I die hard Tolkien fan, a massive Wingnut films man, and someone who recently shared the world of Tolkien with my daughter....Just do the LOTR trilogy and if they all want more then do the hobbit.

Jackson made 1 3 hour movie per book of the LOTR trilogy yet decided to make a trilogy out of the Hobbit which is the simplest and least in depth of all the books.

The Hobbit moves too slowly and there is ALOT of "poetic License" with the story telling itself.
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2021, 07:57:00 PM »

Offline Humble G

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 983
Definitely watch the extended versions.

I never read the books altho bought them at one time and still want to but just not much of a reader.....I also watched the old animated hobbit by rankin bass(best animated movies ever btw like all good old christmas movies)  as a kid... And I loved the movies including the Hobbit trilogy. I understand it's not exactly like the books but I feel that's part of making a movie as it's the director or producers interpretation creation.....really I just want more and that's why I loved the Hobbit trilogy bc it could have been one movie but I got 3 instead. Heck I wish there was a never ending middle earth series..like just sam cooking taters! Lol

Oh and if anyone babywears there is a company tha makes pretty cool wraps called Oscha.

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2021, 07:58:37 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

As I die hard Tolkien fan, a massive Wingnut films man, and someone who recently shared the world of Tolkien with my daughter....Just do the LOTR trilogy and if they all want more then do the hobbit.

Jackson made 1 3 hour movie per book of the LOTR trilogy yet decided to make a trilogy out of the Hobbit which is the simplest and least in depth of all the books.

The Hobbit moves too slowly and there is ALOT of "poetic License" with the story telling itself.
He took from other books to make Hobbit, so it wasn't all poetic license. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip