Author Topic: If we keep the 14th pick  (Read 14207 times)

If we keep the 14th pick
« on: November 08, 2020, 03:55:40 PM »

Offline shut_the_gate

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26
Tyrell Terry is someone who has grown on me the more I learn.

Apparently he has grown to 6'3, put on muscle and during draft interviews broke records IQ testing. He reminds me of Jason Terry and for me if Terry was born 20 years later I believe his career would have been much more impactful.

I think Tyrell could be a perfect present and future guy, he can easily be a sixth man backing up Walker and doesn't need to be a great playmaker while we have Tatum and Hayward and in the future can grown into a starter as his defence and playmaking grows.

https://youtu.be/7I9lSTRLVTA (highlights)
https://youtu.be/0ICNpBoRQmY (analysis)
https://youtu.be/SiRAwPBDvPg (predraft workout)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 04:04:39 PM by shut_the_gate »

Re: If we keep the 14th pick
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 04:32:14 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
during draft interviews broke records IQ testing

Do you have a link to this?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2020, 04:44:31 PM »

Offline shut_the_gate

• Brad Stevens

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2020, 05:12:27 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
IQ test? Don’t care bout this, all I’m worry bout is that can he play in the NBA
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2020, 05:17:12 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
IQ test? Don’t care bout this, all I’m worry bout is that can he play in the NBA

Cmon... he made it on the dean's list
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 05:26:27 PM by Tr1boy »

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2020, 05:24:38 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
generally speaking, I see a draft that's better than 4/5ths of our bench. 

Not saying the draft is the only way to improve the bench...

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2020, 06:10:25 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
If we're gonna keep the 14th pick, I'd rather go for Jalen Smith or RJ Hampton instead. I have doubts about how well Terry's offense will translate past his 3pt shooting. I see him getting eaten alive on defense as well, so I hope his weight gain is legit.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2020, 06:56:49 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I wouldn't mind him. His defence isn't all that bad, and Brad is a genius at hiding weak defensive guards. His offence is legit.

I prefer other point guards (namely Kira Lewis Jr.), who has gamebreaking speed, but Terry is gifted.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2020, 07:04:49 PM »

Offline shut_the_gate

• Brad Stevens
I wouldn't mind him. His defence isn't all that bad, and Brad is a genius at hiding weak defensive guards. His offence is legit.

I prefer other point guards (namely Kira Lewis Jr.), who has gamebreaking speed, but Terry is gifted.

Terry’s height and weight are almost identical to Curry’s when he was drafted and Curry played three years at Davidson where as Terry only played one at Stanford. Am I say he is going to be Curry? No. But if he can be in the same mould and have Stevens to maximise his game, he could eventually be an All-Star quality player.

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2020, 07:45:56 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Pass at 14 but at 26 sign me up. Rather get Nesmith, Jalen Smith, S.Bey, Lewis Jr or Pat Williams.

There are a lot combo guards this draft hard to pick which will be the best with the list as

Ball, Hayes, Lewis, Anthony, Haliburton, Riller, Hampton, Maxey, Maldeon, and a few more. I'd avoid reaching knowing one will be there at 26.

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2020, 09:22:16 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

Apparently he has grown to 6'3, put on muscle and during draft interviews broke records IQ testing. He reminds me of Jason Terry and for me if Terry was born 20 years later I believe his career would have been much more impactful.

I think Tyrell could be a perfect present and future guy, he can easily be a sixth man backing up Walker and doesn't need to be a great playmaker while we have Tatum and Hayward and in the future can grown into a starter as his defence and playmaking grows.

At 14 there are going to be at least 2-3 players on the board I have ranked higher then Terry. However if Ainge is high enough on him t draft him in the lottery I’ll be excited for the pick. Short term he isn’t a great fit with Kemba but if the long term core if Tatum, Brown and Smart then Terry is the ideal fit. I see Terry as an upgraded version of Seth Curry.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2020, 10:46:32 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911

It's a tough test. There's are five questions and not only do you have to get the questions right, but you have to do it in the correct order. If you do both, you get extra points.

I've put the test answers below in white for those who want to cheat. Just highlight between the quotation marks to see them.

->  "person, woman, man, camera, tv."   <-

Mike

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2020, 10:49:57 PM »

Offline Alec14

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 60
What are people's opinions about Tyrese Maxey? I really think a guard is what we should be going for in this draft, someone to provide some punch behind Kemba and this draft seems strong in that area - I think we'll be able to pick up a good guard at 14. I think Wanamaker has given us great minutes but we could probably upgrade here. We need a bruising, banging center but I think one of our later picks can meet that need. And we have enough long, athletic wings in Tatum, Brown, and Langford. I love him but I think because of his size Waters will never be able to be a fixture in the NBA.

Anyway, I watched Maxey's shooting drill at the combine and the stroke looked great - the announcers were saying his release point in college was low but he's been working on it, and he was knocking them down all over the court. Watching him run he's clearly an athlete, and at 6'3 he's got size for the position. Was only a freshman last year, and Kentucky does tend to depress stats and usage because of all the talent. Lots of great players in the NBA now were kind of hidden away at Kentucky.

So what about Maxey?

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2020, 07:58:39 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
What are people's opinions about Tyrese Maxey? I really think a guard is what we should be going for in this draft, someone to provide some punch behind Kemba and this draft seems strong in that area - I think we'll be able to pick up a good guard at 14. I think Wanamaker has given us great minutes but we could probably upgrade here. We need a bruising, banging center but I think one of our later picks can meet that need. And we have enough long, athletic wings in Tatum, Brown, and Langford. I love him but I think because of his size Waters will never be able to be a fixture in the NBA.

Anyway, I watched Maxey's shooting drill at the combine and the stroke looked great - the announcers were saying his release point in college was low but he's been working on it, and he was knocking them down all over the court. Watching him run he's clearly an athlete, and at 6'3 he's got size for the position. Was only a freshman last year, and Kentucky does tend to depress stats and usage because of all the talent. Lots of great players in the NBA now were kind of hidden away at Kentucky.

So what about Maxey?

I have long thought of Maxey as a strong candidate for the Cs to draft at #14. He fits the DA draft mold perfectly. Ainge typically targets high end high school recruits (hasn't drafted a player in the lottery ranked lower then a 90 by the ESPN 100), he usually looks past college 3pt shooting Smart, Brown, Rozier, and Langford). Likes guards with + length, and seems to prefer guys who project as + defenders.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2020, 08:12:07 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

So what about Maxey?

I have long thought of Maxey as a strong candidate for the Cs to draft at #14. He fits the DA draft mold perfectly. Ainge typically targets high end high school recruits (hasn't drafted a player in the lottery ranked lower then a 90 by the ESPN 100), he usually looks past college 3pt shooting Smart, Brown, Rozier, and Langford). Likes guards with + length, and seems to prefer guys who project as + defenders.
I agree with you on who DA drafts.

How do feel that approach fits with BS system?

A few reporters/writers have come out and said it is the wrong approach as it hasn't work as well with the later picks. Lots of talk that if everyone is green-lit and positionless then DA needs to draft size and shooting not defense and quickness.