Author Topic: Pierce: “I’m not sure I want to see ITs video on my night”  (Read 12367 times)

Re: Pierce: “I’m not sure I want to see ITs video on my night”
« Reply #90 on: January 05, 2018, 01:11:42 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I just don't get the narrative here that Isaiah Thomas chose Feb 11 specifically to upstage Paul Pierce.

That is not him.

« Reply #91 on: January 05, 2018, 01:13:42 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I just don't get the narrative here that Isaiah Thomas chose Feb 11 specifically to upstage Paul Pierce.

That is not him.

How do you know that based on anything besides projection?

Personally, I don't think IT is trying to upstage PP by any means but I also think its nuts to think we know these guys and what goes through their heads.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #92 on: January 05, 2018, 01:16:57 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

That is not him.

How do you know that based on anything besides projection?

Personally, I don't think IT is trying to upstage PP by any means but I also think its nuts to think we know these guys and what goes through their heads.

You have a point.

But until Isaiah speaks on this directly I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, here.

« Reply #93 on: January 05, 2018, 01:21:26 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
I think IT's value is slowly getting to where it really belongs: he was great to have for two and a half seasons, and helped the C's become again a solid playoff team, but he is not a Celtics great.

IMO ten years from now, the legacy of Bradley will be greater: he played seven seasons for us and he was the link between the Big Three and the Stevens eras.

In 10 years people will remember AB as much as they do Eric Williams or Ron Mercer.

That is not true Roy.

« Reply #94 on: January 05, 2018, 01:29:41 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think IT's value is slowly getting to where it really belongs: he was great to have for two and a half seasons, and helped the C's become again a solid playoff team, but he is not a Celtics great.

IMO ten years from now, the legacy of Bradley will be greater: he played seven seasons for us and he was the link between the Big Three and the Stevens eras.

In 10 years people will remember AB as much as they do Eric Williams or Ron Mercer.

That is not true Roy.

Why do you think so?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #95 on: January 05, 2018, 02:27:53 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

That is not true Roy.

Why do you think so?

That is not true Roy.

Why do you think so?

I am a bit surprised you really think this needs explanation. As a starting point, is it even worth pointing out why Ron Mercer is not in the same league of being a Celtics? He played in 120 career games with 0 post season games. He is best known by Celtics fans as being a disappointing consolation prize for not getting Duncan and the Pitino era.

Erik Williams is a little closer because he was at least was on the team a long time and appeared on two teams that made it a few rounds in the playoffs (26 games, 18 starts) though he never even averaged double figures.
Williams appeared in 462 games, but only averaged double figures for 2.25 seasons. He was also highly inefficient with back to back seasons of shooting 36% and 37% (would have been benched for that in today's NBA)
Williams never received any awards in the NBA

Bradley was on a team that made several deep playoff runs (39 career playoff games)
Bradley played 413 regular season games with the Celtics
Bradley had 4 seasons average double figures and essentially 3 averaging more than 3 games
Bradley was recognized on all defensive first team once and all defensive second team once
Bradley was the bridge between the big 3 era and Stevens ball

So in summary Bradley was a better offensive player, a better defensive player, made more starts for the Celtics and played in more playoff games for better teams while being recognized as one of the best in the league at defense. Do you really think they are similar at all? Most people would want to forget all the teams Williams played on for his second stint in Boston as they were a low point for the franchise. Though Bradley didn't win a chip, the 2012 team will be remembered for a very long time for their gutsy efforts and near finals appearance.

« Reply #96 on: January 05, 2018, 02:48:52 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141

LOL. The fun keeps growing.

« Reply #97 on: January 05, 2018, 03:08:02 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
Count me in the petty crowd.  You can't do a tribute video on the same night you retire the jersey of an all-time great.

« Reply #98 on: January 05, 2018, 06:08:53 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

That is not true Roy.

Why do you think so?

That is not true Roy.

Why do you think so?

I am a bit surprised you really think this needs explanation. As a starting point, is it even worth pointing out why Ron Mercer is not in the same league of being a Celtics? He played in 120 career games with 0 post season games. He is best known by Celtics fans as being a disappointing consolation prize for not getting Duncan and the Pitino era.

Erik Williams is a little closer because he was at least was on the team a long time and appeared on two teams that made it a few rounds in the playoffs (26 games, 18 starts) though he never even averaged double figures.
Williams appeared in 462 games, but only averaged double figures for 2.25 seasons. He was also highly inefficient with back to back seasons of shooting 36% and 37% (would have been benched for that in today's NBA)

Bradley was on a team that made several deep playoff runs (39 career playoff games)
Bradley had 4 seasons average double figures and essentially 3 averaging more than 3 games
Bradley was recognized on all defensive first team once and all defensive second team once

So in summary Bradley was a better offensive player, a better defensive player, made more starts for the Celtics and played in more playoff games for better teams while being recognized as one of the best in the league at defense. Do you really think they are similar at all? Most people would want to forget all the teams Williams played on for his second stint in Boston as they were a low point for the franchise. Though Bradley didn't win a chip, the 2012 team will be remembered for a very long time for their gutsy efforts and near finals appearance.

So?

Role players who don’t win titles aren’t going to be widely remembered or appreciated.  Especially those who are traded away.

Most Celtics fans today have no idea who Bailey Howell is.  How many guys can talk with specificity about Paul Silas, or moreso, Don Chaney? Do you think the majority can tell the difference between Sam Jones and K.C. Jones?

And yet, you think zero-time All-Star, zero-time champion Avery Bradley is going to be remembered by a large percentage of fans?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #99 on: January 05, 2018, 06:38:27 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

That is not true Roy.

Why do you think so?

That is not true Roy.

Why do you think so?

So?

Role players who don’t win titles aren’t going to be widely remembered or appreciated.  Especially those who are traded away.

Most Celtics fans today have no idea who Bailey Howell is.  How many guys can talk with specificity about Paul Silas, or moreso, Don Chaney? Do you think the majority can tell the difference between Sam Jones and K.C. Jones?

And yet, you think zero-time All-Star, zero-time champion Avery Bradley is going to be remembered by a large percentage of fans?

Chaney last played for the Celtics 37 seasons ago. Silas 43 Seasons ago. Bailey Howell 47 seasons ago. So this is a very cry from what you actually said, which is 10 years from now. So yes 10 years from now if you ran a poll with fans or on this blog of how many people knew who Bradley was compared to Williams or Mercer as Celtics I would probably bet my life savings that Bradley would win in a landslide for all the reasons I listed (Bradley would have an outside chance of actually still being in the league then). If you actually meant 35-50 years after Bradley last played for the Celtics then, yea, sure I agree with you.

« Reply #100 on: January 05, 2018, 06:49:00 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

That is not true Roy.

Why do you think so?

That is not true Roy.

Why do you think so?

So?

Chaney last played for the Celtics 37 seasons ago. Silas 43 Seasons ago. Bailey Howell 47 seasons ago. So this is a very cry from what you actually said, which is 10 years from now. So yes 10 years from now if you ran a poll with fans or on this blog of how many people knew who Bradley was compared to Williams or Mercer as Celtics I would probably bet my life savings that Bradley would win in a landslide for all the reasons I listed (Bradley would have an outside chance of actually still being in the league then). If you actually meant 35-50 years after Bradley last played for the Celtics then, yea, sure I agree with you.

There’s a difference between “knew who he was” and having an established “legacy” greater than IT’s, wouldn’t you agree?

« Reply #101 on: January 05, 2018, 06:55:30 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

That is not true Roy.

Why do you think so?

That is not true Roy.

Why do you think so?

So?

There’s a difference between “knew who he was” and having an established “legacy” greater than IT’s, wouldn’t you agree?

Just wanna say kudos to you both for an entertaining exchange over a sidebar issue.  Good arguments on both sides, but mostly I just hearing the old names being brought into the perspective.
Yup

« Reply #102 on: January 05, 2018, 07:05:58 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
Pierce just clarified his remarks, and confirmed he doesn't like the idea of IT getting a video in the next game.

Chauncey and S-Jax both agree with him.

I have to say, I do too. That is a huge day for the dude, and he shouldn't have to deal with this crap.

« Reply #103 on: January 05, 2018, 07:06:39 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

That is not true Roy.

Why do you think so?

That is not true Roy.

Why do you think so?

So?

:D For some reason I feel like I am arguing with a lawyer here. Just kidding. I do think that 10 years from now Bradley will still be remembered as a defensive specialist that hit some big 3's during the big 3 era and had a nice tenure as a Celtic. To what you earlier said, I don't think there was a time even 5 years after Mercer was traded were people thought he had a nice Celtics career. I can only speak for myself, but I also never really thought of Williams as having nice moments as a Celtic either and he was forgotten a year or two after the trade. At this point though we are getting pretty far into semantics and maybe we don't really disagree that much over all. TP

« Reply #104 on: January 05, 2018, 07:07:35 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Pierce just clarified his remarks, and confirmed he doesn't like the idea of IT getting a video in the next game.

Chauncey and S-Jax both agree with him.

I have to say, I do too. That is a huge day for the dude, and he shouldn't have to deal with this crap.

Agreed. Very disappointed the Celtics organization has not clarified this.  It's disrespectful to the truth