Author Topic: Pierce: “I’m not sure I want to see ITs video on my night”  (Read 12369 times)

Re: Pierce: “I’m not sure I want to see ITs video on my night”
« Reply #105 on: January 05, 2018, 07:23:36 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Pierce just clarified his remarks, and confirmed he doesn't like the idea of IT getting a video in the next game.

Chauncey and S-Jax both agree with him.

I have to say, I do too. That is a huge day for the dude, and he shouldn't have to deal with this crap.

Agreed. Very disappointed the Celtics organization has not clarified this.  It's disrespectful to the truth

The Celtics organization has clarified it.  Danny said they're doing both, and that IT's video won't in any way overshadow the tribute to Pierce.  If IT and Pierce really don't want to cause a distraction, they should both just move on. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #106 on: January 05, 2018, 07:34:30 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Yeah I’m getting tired of Paul’s complaints. Move on.

« Reply #107 on: January 05, 2018, 07:52:00 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I don't want IT to get booed, but if a deafening "Paul Pierce" chant broke out while they introduce IT and show his tribute video I won't pretend to not smile.

Ainge and company are really just wrong on this one.

« Reply #108 on: January 05, 2018, 07:58:12 PM »

Online CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
  • GOT IT!!!
Pierce just clarified his remarks, and confirmed he doesn't like the idea of IT getting a video in the next game.

Chauncey and S-Jax both agree with him.

I have to say, I do too. That is a huge day for the dude, and he shouldn't have to deal with this crap.

Agreed. Very disappointed the Celtics organization has not clarified this.  It's disrespectful to the truth

The Celtics organization has clarified it.  Danny said they're doing both, and that IT's video won't in any way overshadow the tribute to Pierce.  If IT and Pierce really don't want to cause a distraction, they should both just move on.

It's too late for that. Time for the C's organization to show some stones and let him know he'll have to wait. A tribute video has nothing on what Pierce meant to the Celtics.

« Reply #109 on: January 05, 2018, 09:09:29 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I’ll assume he’s joking, because I don’t think Pierce is that insecure.

Oh, he definitely wasn't joking, and why would he be? Pierce deserves a night all to himself. This is a historic night that he doesn't need to be shared with a player that has been critical of the organization (from Ainge to medical staff) since the moment he was traded.

Pierce on The Jump...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpEnksUUpaI

It’s petty and stupid. He’s that insecure in his legacy? Why?

Should the Jumbotron not replay great plays during the game, so that Paul can be the sole focus of adoration? Why even play a game at all?

I think it’s silly.  The Celts should have made a decision and stuck with it. IT and Paul should both deal with it.

Pierce was the face of the Celtics for well over a decade.  Without Pierce Ray never would have come to Boston, and without Ray KG never would have agreed to come to Boston - and without those two guys there would be no banner #17. 

Pierce gave everything he had to this franchise for some 15 years (give or take)  - as opposed to Isaiah who spent 3 seasons here.

Knowing Pierce's history, he seems to be a guy who detests anybody who speaks ill of the Celtics - I can't imagine he's especially respectful towards IT badmouthing the franchise for the past 3+ months.  I don't blame him for not wanting to have Kyrie highlights being played on the night of his jersey retirement.

« Reply #110 on: January 05, 2018, 09:19:41 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
I think IT's value is slowly getting to where it really belongs: he was great to have for two and a half seasons, and helped the C's become again a solid playoff team, but he is not a Celtics great.

IMO ten years from now, the legacy of Bradley will be greater: he played seven seasons for us and he was the link between the Big Three and the Stevens eras.

In 10 years people will remember AB as much as they do Eric Williams or Ron Mercer.

That is not true Roy.

Why do you think so?

I think IT's value is slowly getting to where it really belongs: he was great to have for two and a half seasons, and helped the C's become again a solid playoff team, but he is not a Celtics great.

IMO ten years from now, the legacy of Bradley will be greater: he played seven seasons for us and he was the link between the Big Three and the Stevens eras.

In 10 years people will remember AB as much as they do Eric Williams or Ron Mercer.

That is not true Roy.

Why do you think so?

I am a bit surprised you really think this needs explanation. As a starting point, is it even worth pointing out why Ron Mercer is not in the same league of being a Celtics? He played in 120 career games with 0 post season games. He is best known by Celtics fans as being a disappointing consolation prize for not getting Duncan and the Pitino era.

Erik Williams is a little closer because he was at least was on the team a long time and appeared on two teams that made it a few rounds in the playoffs (26 games, 18 starts) though he never even averaged double figures.
Williams appeared in 462 games, but only averaged double figures for 2.25 seasons. He was also highly inefficient with back to back seasons of shooting 36% and 37% (would have been benched for that in today's NBA)
Williams never received any awards in the NBA

Bradley was on a team that made several deep playoff runs (39 career playoff games)
Bradley played 413 regular season games with the Celtics
Bradley had 4 seasons average double figures and essentially 3 averaging more than 3 games
Bradley was recognized on all defensive first team once and all defensive second team once
Bradley was the bridge between the big 3 era and Stevens ball

So in summary Bradley was a better offensive player, a better defensive player, made more starts for the Celtics and played in more playoff games for better teams while being recognized as one of the best in the league at defense. Do you really think they are similar at all? Most people would want to forget all the teams Williams played on for his second stint in Boston as they were a low point for the franchise. Though Bradley didn't win a chip, the 2012 team will be remembered for a very long time for their gutsy efforts and near finals appearance.

So?

Role players who don’t win titles aren’t going to be widely remembered or appreciated.  Especially those who are traded away.

Most Celtics fans today have no idea who Bailey Howell is.  How many guys can talk with specificity about Paul Silas, or moreso, Don Chaney? Do you think the majority can tell the difference between Sam Jones and K.C. Jones?

And yet, you think zero-time All-Star, zero-time champion Avery Bradley is going to be remembered by a large percentage of fans?

People will remember Avery Bradley at least as much as they remember a little 5'7" guy who spent 3 seasons in Boston, never got the Celtics to the finals, and then spent 3-6 months badmouthing the organisation.

I will never forget Avery Bradley.  After Pierce, Ray, KG and Rondo, Avery Bradley is the next most memorable Celtic to me over the past 10 years.  In fact AB might even be more memorable to me then either Rondo or Ray, simply because of his loyalty and the way he played - the fact that he left it all out there on the floor every night.

Isaiah will be overshadowed by Kyrie, who is a better player in almost every possible way right now then Isaiah was in his 3 seasons as a Celtic.

Maybe YOU might forget him, but I will not. 

And you're wrong about role players being forgotten.  People still talk about guys like Robert Horry, Derek Fisher, Steve Kerr, Bruce Bowen, Charles Oakley - guys who were instrumental to helping huge stars earn their rings.  They might not get the same recognition as the big stars that they shared the court with, but they aren't forgotten.

« Reply #111 on: January 05, 2018, 10:46:35 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

That is not true Roy.

Why do you think so?

That is not true Roy.

Why do you think so?

I am a bit surprised you really think this needs explanation. As a starting point, is it even worth pointing out why Ron Mercer is not in the same league of being a Celtics? He played in 120 career games with 0 post season games. He is best known by Celtics fans as being a disappointing consolation prize for not getting Duncan and the Pitino era.

Erik Williams is a little closer because he was at least was on the team a long time and appeared on two teams that made it a few rounds in the playoffs (26 games, 18 starts) though he never even averaged double figures.
Williams appeared in 462 games, but only averaged double figures for 2.25 seasons. He was also highly inefficient with back to back seasons of shooting 36% and 37% (would have been benched for that in today's NBA)

Bradley was on a team that made several deep playoff runs (39 career playoff games)
Bradley had 4 seasons average double figures and essentially 3 averaging more than 3 games
Bradley was recognized on all defensive first team once and all defensive second team once

So in summary Bradley was a better offensive player, a better defensive player, made more starts for the Celtics and played in more playoff games for better teams while being recognized as one of the best in the league at defense. Do you really think they are similar at all? Most people would want to forget all the teams Williams played on for his second stint in Boston as they were a low point for the franchise. Though Bradley didn't win a chip, the 2012 team will be remembered for a very long time for their gutsy efforts and near finals appearance.

So?

Role players who don’t win titles aren’t going to be widely remembered or appreciated.  Especially those who are traded away.

Most Celtics fans today have no idea who Bailey Howell is.  How many guys can talk with specificity about Paul Silas, or moreso, Don Chaney? Do you think the majority can tell the difference between Sam Jones and K.C. Jones?

And yet, you think zero-time All-Star, zero-time champion Avery Bradley is going to be remembered by a large percentage of fans?

People will remember Avery Bradley at least as much as they remember a little 5'7" guy who spent 3 seasons in Boston, never got the Celtics to the finals, and then spent 3-6 months badmouthing the organisation.

I will never forget Avery Bradley.  After Pierce, Ray, KG and Rondo, Avery Bradley is the next most memorable Celtic to me over the past 10 years.  In fact AB might even be more memorable to me then either Rondo or Ray, simply because of his loyalty and the way he played - the fact that he left it all out there on the floor every night.

Isaiah will be overshadowed by Kyrie, who is a better player in almost every possible way right now then Isaiah was in his 3 seasons as a Celtic.

And you're wrong about role players being forgotten.  People still talk about guys like Robert Horry, Derek Fisher, Steve Kerr, Bruce Bowen, Charles Oakley - guys who were instrumental to helping huge stars earn their rings.  They might not get the same recognition as the big stars that they shared the court with, but they aren't forgotten.

What do Horry, Fisher, Kerr, Bowen, etc., have to do with “role players with no titles”.

Avery Bradley will have no Celtics legacy, because he never won anything and he was never a great player.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #112 on: January 05, 2018, 11:17:23 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
If the Celtics actually honor another player the same day they had set aside to honor Paul Pierce I will be very surprised, and I will really question their judgment for decency.

It just does not make any sense. The whole sense of honoring someone is making them the center of attraction on a particular day. You do not make one the center of attraction when that spotlight is shared.

Truth is because we are even talking about this has already tainted the tribute to PP. The fact that the Celtics have made PP have to address this and be subject to charges of pettiness is absurd.

You want to honor the guy, but so far you have only succeeded in dishonoring him. How could the Celtics get this so wrong. IT should have been given a polite, 'no 2/11 has been set aside for PP maybe next time'.

If a tribute for a great 3 seasons of service is important enough for one player to want to receive it in front of his family, why is it far-fetched to conclude that the player receiving the honor of jersey retirement for a 15 year award laden service would want that day to himself. Unless the Celtics plan a ceremony that includes driving a Rolls Royce onto the parquet floor for PP, they better not share that night with any other tribute.

« Reply #113 on: January 05, 2018, 11:21:21 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
If the Celtics actually honor another player the same day they had set aside to honor Paul Pierce I will be very surprised, and I will really question their judgment for decency.

It just does not make any sense. The whole sense of honoring someone is making them the center of attraction on a particular day. You do not make one the center of attraction when that spotlight is shared.

Truth is because we are even talking about this has already tainted the tribute to PP. The fact that the Celtics have made PP have to address this and be subject to charges of pettiness is absurd.

You want to honor the guy, but so far you have only succeeded in dishonoring him. How could the Celtics get this so wrong. IT should have been given a polite, 'no 2/11 has been set aside for PP maybe next time'.

If a tribute for a great 3 seasons of service is important enough for one player to want to receive it in front of his family, why is it far-fetched to conclude that the player receiving the honor of jersey retirement for a 15 year award laden service would want that day to himself. Unless the Celtics plan a ceremony that includes driving a Rolls Royce onto the parquet floor for PP, they better not share that night with any other tribute.

Great post.

« Reply #114 on: January 05, 2018, 11:47:32 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
At my sister's wedding it was also a couple of days from my father's 50th birthday.  We sang him a happy birthday and acknowledged the occasion, but it didn't detract any from the main event. 

It's all love.
Yup

« Reply #115 on: January 06, 2018, 06:38:21 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

That is not true Roy.

Why do you think so?

That is not true Roy.

Why do you think so?

So?

What do Horry, Fisher, Kerr, Bowen, etc., have to do with “role players with no titles”.

Avery Bradley will have no Celtics legacy, because he never won anything and he was never a great player.

When I was younger, Patrick Ewing, Karl Malone and Penny Hardaway were my favourite players.  Those three guys never won any titles, but I've still never forgotten the impact that guys like Charles Oakley, John Starks, Marcus Camby, Anthony Mason, Jeff Hornacek, Bryon Russel, Nick Anderson and Dennis Scott has on those teams.

It's impossible for me to remember those big named players without also remembering those big key support guys who played around them at the time.

Do I fondly remember the Greg Ostertag's,  Hubert Davis' and Bryan Shaw's?  Not so much - I can barely remember a single play from any one of those guys.  But the key contributers who were around those teams for the long haul, I remember very clearly. 

For close to well over half a decade Avery Bradley was the the Celtics what guys like Starks, Scott and Hornacek were for those teams.  Guys who aren't all-out stars, but who were major contributors to incredibly competitive teams. 

But how many die hard Knicks fans will remember Stephon Marbury?  A legit superstar who came to New York, played 4 or 5 seasons there, and then vanished.    Who do you think will stick in Knick fan's mind 10 years from now - key role players like Oakley/Mason/Starks, or a short term star like Marbury?

Avery Bradley was drafted to Boston as a rookie who had was incredibly raw.  He build up an incredibly strong career as a Celtic though incredibly hard work,improving his game significantly just about every year he spent in green.  He brought 100% every night, and made game winning plays on both ends of the floor.  He spent a few years playing support to the infamous (and legendary) big three, then during Boston's rebuild he rose as the teams best player and veteran leader over a good couple of years.   The once most star power came to town again, he continued to be a major game changer on both ends of the court until the day he was shipped out of town.

I'll never forget his contributions to this team, or the professional way he went about everything he did.  Maybe you will - but I won't.

« Reply #116 on: January 06, 2018, 07:35:23 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think PP tribute should have been done vs. LA Lakers.  I can see his point, it's his night and he earned it.

« Reply #117 on: January 06, 2018, 09:14:26 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
At my sister's wedding it was also a couple of days from my father's 50th birthday.  We sang him a happy birthday and acknowledged the occasion, but it didn't detract any from the main event. 

It's all love.

These situations are not the same.

Your sister and father are both family.  Your father is also your sister's father.  I'm sure if you didn't acknowledge his birthday on the wedding night, she would have anyway.  There is a common interest, and you celebrated his birthday because it was his birthday on THAT exact day.

If Thomas got some great achievement as a Celtic which happened to occur on the same day as Pierce's retirement ceremony (i.e. hit some scoring milestone or something) and they announced it as it happened, I'm sure Pierce wouldn't care.  Likewise if it was somebody in Pierce's own family being celebrated on the same day, I'm sure he'd be all for it.

But:

1) This is a day that was already long ago scheduled to host Pierce's retirement ceremony

2) The Celtics MOVED Isaiah's tribute from the original planned date TO this day (knowing full well that it was Pierce's day)

3) Pierce is not Thomas' family, and has no reason to want to be there to watch Isaiah's tribute

4) This is not a simply "thank you IT" - we've seen how Boston does video tributes.  It'll be lights
out, hugely emotional video tribute this is a major video tribute that will probably be 10+ minutes long.  It will be loud, it will be bright, it will be monumental - there will be nothing subtle about it.  It will absolutely over shadow Pierce's day, regardless of whether it's done before or after his celebration.

The only way I can think of that they could do it WITHOUT overshadowing Pierce's day is if they do IT's presentation at half time, a good couple of hours after Pierce has had his moment. 

« Reply #118 on: January 06, 2018, 09:26:21 AM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
IT had a night and refused his video tribute. Why would it get moved to a different night? Just scrap the video entirely. That was his day, and he didn't want it. Celtics don't have to keep accommodating him.

« Reply #119 on: January 06, 2018, 10:00:59 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
I cant believe people are actually defending IT4 over PP34. both their places in Celtics history couldnt be more different.

I appreciate IT4 and what he has done for the celtics. I loved watching last year even though I knew it would come to a crushing end to watch this band of overachievers fight tooth and nail. and he had an amazing year he probably wont ever come close to.

but Pierce is the Truth, he was this generations larry bird. First player in years who gave the celtics hope when he was drafted.  15 years with the celtics, multiple all star appearances 2 finals appearances, and banner 17. No one should question if he wants a day all to himself.

heck, he deserves a whole month if they want..