Author Topic: Rockets - Celtics Trade Rumor (weak source)  (Read 50110 times)

Re: Rockets - Celtics Trade Rumor (weak source)
« Reply #150 on: February 19, 2014, 06:51:22 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Asik, Lin, Jones, Smith or Beverly, 2014 1st

for

Rondo, Bass, Pressey (since he would likely be waived anyway)

I think this is a reasonable trade.  Not a homerun, but certainly solid value even without Parsons.

If we're getting back someone who's likely to be a top level player then it's a reasonable trade. Who are we getting that fits the bill?

Why would a team trade for Rondo and give the celts a top level player back in return??

When have you ever seen that happen in basketball?

Guys like Williams, Harden were traded for picks and prospects.  What makes Rondo so much better then them, that we deserve to get back alot more?

What's the motivation for trading Rondo, aside from your wanting him off the roster? Do we just want to make the team worse? Both of those teams would have been better if they'd kept the stars they traded away. They were pretty much forced to make the trades they did. We don't have to.

The Thunder lost the deal because they traded a very young player (Harden was around 22), but I think you need to examine the Jazz/Brooklyn trade more closely. The Jazz acquired Harris, Favors, 2011 1st rd pick (#3), and the 2013 1st rd pick (#21). With the 3rd pick the Jazz selected Kanter and the other pick was later traded away to Minny. However, the point is that the Jazz would not have been better with Williams (27 at the time of the deal), and we could only pray we could get that type of return for Rondo (who turns 28 in a couple of days).

Yes, because as far as you can tell the Jazz are *much* better now than they were when Deron was there.

How short sighted of you. Utah tried time and time again to win with Deron and couldn't. Even worse he turned out to be a coach killer, at least in the only circumstances that mattered to management (in Utah with Sloan). They traded him and in a matter of less than five years are poised to turn the corner and become stronger than before. Look at Deron now. If you're the Jazz, do you do that deal again? Yes x1000000

They traded Deron because he was a coach killer, not because they couldn't win with him. 5 straight playoff trips, 2 conference semis and 1 conference finals. They look to be poised to turn the corner, same as the Cavs or the Bucks or the Kings. Let me know when they have as much success as they did with Deron. I won't wait up.

Tim can you give me your plan as to when we will be good again?

I assume you want to give Rondo the max after next season. Then what? We are not likely get a high draft pick, its 50-50 FA will want to come over to play for us. So what is your plan for us to get better?

Let me know what players are going to be available either through trade or as FAs leaving their teams over the next 3 years or so and I'll let you know. I'd say we'll draft a couple of players and probably make a couple of trades for now.

We will get nowhere without a plan Tim. You just want to keep Rondo. I don't think thats the best for the org

Its either, you trade assets/picks and surround rondo with talent (expecially rim protection), or you draft the best and go through the OKC route

You can't do this middle crap that gets you nowhere for a long time. I mean what are the chances a team gets to bring in a big talent like Howard to their team? It's slim.

« Reply #151 on: February 19, 2014, 06:51:35 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
this thread is decomposing quickly -- someone lock!

I'll try to get it back on track!

Last time we heard the Celtics+Rockets were in advanced trade talks, it turned out to be Houston shenanigans.  Is this Rondo talk more Houston shenanigans?  Discuss!!
I mentioned it earlier but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of these leaks are to placate Dwight. They sold him on "upgrading" the roster beyond him, so being inactive at the trade deadline wouldn't fit that.

« Reply #152 on: February 19, 2014, 06:53:11 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
The Rockets are a terrible trade partner... I feel like a trade involving Rondo would only be worth it if you at least got Parsons and on top of that high first rounders, which the Rockets  don't have... any other trades would be a joke, and the idea that Morey wouldn't include Parsons in a deal for Rondo is a sad. Unless something really changes here like a 3rd team gets involved I'll bet this goes nowhere. DA is not a stupid man

Rondo + Green for Asik,Lin, Parsons, 2014 1st , 2016 1st  works for me. I hope it happens

I doubt this much would be sent our way  .....but if Rondo. Has to go .......then I would be good with this haul. ;D
That would be a great trade for Boston.

That would be super, we could be like the Rockets only without Dwight or Harden. I guess that's better than the trades that would make us somewhat like the Kings without Cousins or Detroit without Drummond. Hopefully Danny's shooting for something better.
Asik and Parsons would be phenomenal in Stevens system.  They both shoot really high percentages.  Asik is supposedly a great defender.    You'd still have lots and lots and lots of assets leftover.

Theoretically you could still end up in the bottom 5 to add a superstar scorer to play with these guys.

Houston isn't giving up Parsons, though.

Clearly they overvalue their talent. Sounds like a classic case of a team that won't pull the trigger on a star that could put them over the top because they don't want to part with a player who probably won't put them over the top.

« Reply #153 on: February 19, 2014, 06:53:59 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
this thread is decomposing quickly -- someone lock!

I'll try to get it back on track!

Last time we heard the Celtics+Rockets were in advanced trade talks, it turned out to be Houston shenanigans.  Is this Rondo talk more Houston shenanigans?  Discuss!!
I mentioned it earlier but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of these leaks are to placate Dwight. They sold him on "upgrading" the roster beyond him, so being inactive at the trade deadline wouldn't fit that.

He is not going to be just satisfied Morey "tried".

« Reply #154 on: February 19, 2014, 06:55:32 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

We will get nowhere without a plan Tim. You just want to keep Rondo. I don't think thats the best for the org

Its either, you trade assets/picks and surround rondo with talent (expecially rim protection), or you draft the best and go through the OKC route

You can't do this middle crap that gets you nowhere for a long time. I mean what are the chances a team gets to bring in a big talent like Howard to their team? It's slim.

I don't think there's any kind of rule that you can't draft players and make trades. It's not like we have only 1 draft pick to work with and have to pick one way or the other.

« Reply #155 on: February 19, 2014, 06:58:08 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Honestly the Rockets are fools not to do anything. They will be in serious penalty situation with their cap or their team will have no supporting players next season

If the Rockets signed a first-round pick and also used the full MLE on a player, they would probably still be under the luxury tax threshold.

But you have to understand if they don't get far enough this year , and they virtually have the same team next year, how much better can they get??

It's also risky for them to pick up Parsons option (less than 1 million) and hope that he stays the year after.

They own all of their future first-round picks and have a boat-load of extra second-round picks.  They have Terrence Jones and Donatas Montiejunas as young players who could either be part of the future or trade assets used to acquire useful pieces.

They are a team on a pace to win 55-56 games, with solid options for improving the team.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #156 on: February 19, 2014, 07:12:35 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
The Rockets are a terrible trade partner... I feel like a trade involving Rondo would only be worth it if you at least got Parsons and on top of that high first rounders, which the Rockets  don't have... any other trades would be a joke, and the idea that Morey wouldn't include Parsons in a deal for Rondo is a sad. Unless something really changes here like a 3rd team gets involved I'll bet this goes nowhere. DA is not a stupid man

Rondo + Green for Asik,Lin, Parsons, 2014 1st , 2016 1st  works for me. I hope it happens

I doubt this much would be sent our way  .....but if Rondo. Has to go .......then I would be good with this haul. ;D
That would be a great trade for Boston.

That would be super, we could be like the Rockets only without Dwight or Harden. I guess that's better than the trades that would make us somewhat like the Kings without Cousins or Detroit without Drummond. Hopefully Danny's shooting for something better.
Asik and Parsons would be phenomenal in Stevens system.  They both shoot really high percentages.  Asik is supposedly a great defender.    You'd still have lots and lots and lots of assets leftover.

Theoretically you could still end up in the bottom 5 to add a superstar scorer to play with these guys.

Houston isn't giving up Parsons, though.

Clearly they overvalue their talent. Sounds like a classic case of a team that won't pull the trigger on a star that could put them over the top because they don't want to part with a player who probably won't put them over the top.

Good point. They're not going to win the title as currently constructed (w/Parsons); they're probably not even going to reach the West finals. If they were willing to give up Parsons for Rondo, they could probably also get Green, who's comparable to Parsons, and they'd have a championship-caliber upgrade at PG. That's a better team than what they have now.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

Re: Rockets - Celtics Trade Rumor
« Reply #157 on: February 19, 2014, 07:30:20 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Daryl Morey offers a lot of things.  But if Ainge's previous best offer for Asik was Bass and Lee, and considering he gave away a second rounder to get rid of Lee, it's a pretty safe bet that Asik, Lin, and a late 1st isn't even getting the counter offer of "throw in a 2016 1st and you've got a deal."

We have heard only one other big trade rumor. Which is Thomas, Mclemore and one or two 1sts (not 2014). So people rather consider that trade then a Rocket offer of Lin/Asik/2014 1st with a possiblity of 2016 1st?

The rockets deal looks better imo

It doesn't...because Asik and Lin are both terrible players on terrible contacts and Houstonshould bepaying trans to take them.  Adding a draft pick (or even two) would probably be necessary to convince a team to take on thoseterrible contacts. 

Giving them an All-Star player for those two guys? Boston would be getting robbed.     

« Reply #158 on: February 19, 2014, 07:34:28 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
Asik, Lin, Jones, Smith or Beverly, 2014 1st

for

Rondo, Bass, Pressey (since he would likely be waived anyway)

I think this is a reasonable trade.  Not a homerun, but certainly solid value even without Parsons.

If we're getting back someone who's likely to be a top level player then it's a reasonable trade. Who are we getting that fits the bill?

Why would a team trade for Rondo and give the celts a top level player back in return??

When have you ever seen that happen in basketball?

Guys like Williams, Harden were traded for picks and prospects.  What makes Rondo so much better then them, that we deserve to get back alot more?

What's the motivation for trading Rondo, aside from your wanting him off the roster? Do we just want to make the team worse? Both of those teams would have been better if they'd kept the stars they traded away. They were pretty much forced to make the trades they did. We don't have to.

The Thunder lost the deal because they traded a very young player (Harden was around 22), but I think you need to examine the Jazz/Brooklyn trade more closely. The Jazz acquired Harris, Favors, 2011 1st rd pick (#3), and the 2013 1st rd pick (#21). With the 3rd pick the Jazz selected Kanter and the other pick was later traded away to Minny. However, the point is that the Jazz would not have been better with Williams (27 at the time of the deal), and we could only pray we could get that type of return for Rondo (who turns 28 in a couple of days).

Yes, because as far as you can tell the Jazz are *much* better now than they were when Deron was there.

How short sighted of you. Utah tried time and time again to win with Deron and couldn't. Even worse he turned out to be a coach killer, at least in the only circumstances that mattered to management (in Utah with Sloan). They traded him and in a matter of less than five years are poised to turn the corner and become stronger than before. Look at Deron now. If you're the Jazz, do you do that deal again? Yes x1000000

An aside, but how bout those Jazz? Is this what they were hoping for/expecting when they let Al and Milsap walk?

« Reply #159 on: February 19, 2014, 07:37:01 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Daryl Morey offers a lot of things.  But if Ainge's previous best offer for Asik was Bass and Lee, and considering he gave away a second rounder to get rid of Lee, it's a pretty safe bet that Asik, Lin, and a late 1st isn't even getting the counter offer of "throw in a 2016 1st and you've got a deal."

We have heard only one other big trade rumor. Which is Thomas, Mclemore and one or two 1sts (not 2014). So people rather consider that trade then a Rocket offer of Lin/Asik/2014 1st with a possiblity of 2016 1st?

It doesn't...because Asik and Lin are both terrible players on terrible contacts and Houstonshould bepaying trans to take them.  Adding a draft pick (or even two) would probably be necessary to convince a team to take on thoseterrible contacts. 

Giving them an All-Star player for those two guys? Boston would be getting robbed.   

Both of them have a huge bonus coming up but the bonuses don't count against the cap, right?

iirc Asik only counts for 8 mil?

Regardless, no doubt the proposed Kings deal is better.

« Reply #160 on: February 19, 2014, 07:45:02 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Both of them have a huge bonus coming up but the bonuses don't count against the cap, right?

iirc Asik only counts for 8 mil?

Regardless, no doubt the proposed Kings deal is better.

The money doesn't count against the cap but the owners still have to pay it. People might not think that's a big deal, but if you see how hard teams work to avoid paying luxury tax they still won't want to foot that extra bill.

« Reply #161 on: February 19, 2014, 07:49:06 PM »

Offline mainevent

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 203
Per Clutchfan.net

Originally Posted by cyberx 
Harden and Howard are not so sure Rondos attitude will fit the team...

More as it comes CF
"Mosquitoes refuse to bite me....purely out of respect"

« Reply #162 on: February 19, 2014, 07:51:09 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Per Clutchfan.net

More as it comes CF

hahahaaha is thi for real?

what you mean rondo's not a raging , fake smiling wearing , goofy Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. ?

« Reply #163 on: February 19, 2014, 07:53:17 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3062
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Per Clutchfan.net

More as it comes CF

Lol so he's gotta act like a clown?
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #164 on: February 19, 2014, 07:53:29 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
Per Clutchfan.net

More as it comes CF

hahahaaha is thi for real?

what you mean rondo's not a raging , fake smiling wearing , goofy **** ?

Probably means Dwight's afraid Rondo would get on his case like Kobe did.