Author Topic: It's Official - The Las Vegas Raiders  (Read 4467 times)

Re: It's Official - The Las Vegas Raiders
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2017, 07:34:48 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Two more teams would be just fine.  Reducing teams would be a significant loss.

Not to mention a peeved off player's union.

Yeah, I have no expectation, or even real hope, that contraction will ever happen this side of the Apocalypse. Just a personal preference.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2017, 08:01:50 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
It's only a matter of time now until they get an NBA team.

If this is true, hopefully it's a relocation—the NBA already has a couple dozen players who don't belong in the league.

As for Vegas being home to pro sports teams, clearly the idea of making money is much more important than any concerns about illegal gambling. To me, Vegas just doesn't seem like a sports town. "Golden Knights" sounds like a low-low-minor-league team, and "Raiders" doesn't say "Vegas" to me at all.

I have a feeling Vegas and Seattle get expansion teams right around the time the next media deal is being negotiated.  Vegas has a metro population of nearly 2 million, and has more than doubled in size since 1990.

And the quality of players has increased at a much faster rate than has the number of teams.  The league won't be hurt for an extra 30 bodies in the league.
This I don't agree with. In fact, I think the number of top echilon players in the league has decreased as a percentage of players in the league since the late 1980s and early 1990s.

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2017, 10:28:50 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
It's only a matter of time now until they get an NBA team.

If this is true, hopefully it's a relocation—the NBA already has a couple dozen players who don't belong in the league.

As for Vegas being home to pro sports teams, clearly the idea of making money is much more important than any concerns about illegal gambling. To me, Vegas just doesn't seem like a sports town. "Golden Knights" sounds like a low-low-minor-league team, and "Raiders" doesn't say "Vegas" to me at all.

I have a feeling Vegas and Seattle get expansion teams right around the time the next media deal is being negotiated.  Vegas has a metro population of nearly 2 million, and has more than doubled in size since 1990.

And the quality of players has increased at a much faster rate than has the number of teams.  The league won't be hurt for an extra 30 bodies in the league.
This I don't agree with. In fact, I think the number of top echilon players in the league has decreased as a percentage of players in the league since the late 1980s and early 1990s.
I think if you actually went through the players you wouldn't find that to be the case
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip