Author Topic: "Miracle On Ice", unfortunately, does not apply to the KG era.  (Read 4469 times)

"Miracle On Ice", unfortunately, does not apply to the KG era.
« on: February 15, 2014, 08:05:21 PM »

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
Since the Winter Olympics are going on now, and the USA team hockey is doing well, granted, not as amazing as the 1980 crew coached by Herb Brooks, it makes me reflect upon our championship years and see that the KG era, had no miracle on ice moments.

Realize, not only did that hockey team play lock down defense on the Russians for a full final 10 mins, but they also came back from behind, to beat another contender, team Finland, for the final gold. Coach Brooks got everything out of his players and had spent an incredible amount of time, training the men to build their endurance, knowing perfectly well that the Europeans had the edge, skill-wise, and thus could keep up with the best, esp during duress.

In contrast to the above, in '08, we had the best bench in the NBA, but we only got to a shortened six game series, when Ray's shots started falling in Detroit. And then, in the LA series, there was no reason for us to not wrap it up in 5, as LA was not that great at the time, until Ariza & Odom got their acts together in '09.

And then, came the '10 to '12 playoffs, where it seemed like that whenever we needed to put out an opponent, a game or two would always slip away. I never saw the reason for the Philly series to go a full 7.

Re: "Miracle On Ice", unfortunately, does not apply to the KG era.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 08:18:44 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
We were relevant for 3.5 years.

I'll cherish that 2008 title forever. 

Unfortunately, I think history will look at our brief relevance as footnotes in a Kobe Bryant retrospective.

The narrative will be simple.  Kobe won 3 titles as Shaq's "sidekick".  Shaq goes on to win a title without him.  Everyone questions whether Kobe can do it on his own.  In 2008, he gets a shot... going up against the big bad Boston Celtics.  The Celtics destroy the Lakers in humiliating fashion.   Kobe dedicates himself to improving.   The next year, they win the championship... but not against Celtics.  His journey is still not complete. Kobe must prove he can beat the Celtics to cement his legacy.  He gets his shot in 2010... and finally gets his revenge against the hated Celtic team that destroyed him 2 years earlier.  Back-to-back championships... 5 titles.  Legendary career complete.

Of course, this narrative will ignore the fact that the Celtics would have owned the Lakers had KG not been injured in 2009.  It ignores the fact that (in my opinion) Pau Gasol basically carried Kobe to his two championships.  Look it up, Pau was statistically the better player.  It ignores the fact that in 2010, Kobe was dreadful in the final game.  It was the Laker size (Bynum and Gasol) mixed with our lack of Perk that allowed them to destroy us on the glass and win the game. 

It isn't going to matter, though.  Outside of Boston... history will look at our little blip as antagonists for Kobe's era of dominance.  Fair or unfair, that's my guess.

I've mentioned this before and naturally this forum ate me alive for it... but I think that's how they'll see it.  It wasn't supposed to be like that, though.  It was supposed to be about the rebirth of Celtic Pride.  Rondo was Luke Skywalker.  KG/Ray/Pierce were the Jedi Knights of a lost era (Obi-Wan, Yodi, etc).  2008 was supposed to be "A New Hope".   2009 was our "Empire Strikes Back".  2010 was supposed to be "The Return of the Jedi"... Rondo finally mastering his Jedi Knight powers and leading us to a new era of Celtic Pride glory.   Sadly, it didn't happen... and we're potentially less than a week away from seeing Rondo shipped out of town.   Oh well.

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 08:28:27 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Unfortunately, I think history will look at our brief relevance as footnotes in a Kobe Bryant retrospective.

The narrative will be simple.  Kobe won 3 titles as Shaq's "sidekick".  Shaq goes on to win a title without him.  Everyone questions whether Kobe can do it on his own.  In 2008, he gets a shot... going up against the big bad Boston Celtics.  The Celtics destroy the Lakers in humiliating fashion.   Kobe dedicates himself to improving.   The next year, they win the championship... but not against Celtics.  His journey is still not complete. Kobe must prove he can beat the Celtics to cement his legacy.  He gets his shot in 2010... and finally gets his revenge against the hated Celtic team that destroyed him 2 years earlier.  Back-to-back championships... 5 titles.  Legendary career complete.

Of course, this narrative will ignore the fact that the Celtics would have owned the Lakers had KG not been injured in 2009.  It ignores the fact that (in my opinion) Pau Gasol basically carried Kobe to his two championships.  Look it up, Pau was statistically the better player.  It ignores the fact that in 2010, Kobe was dreadful in the final game.  It was the Laker size (Bynum and Gasol) mixed with our lack of Perk that allowed them to destroy us on the glass and win the game. 

It isn't going to matter, though.  Outside of Boston... history will look at our little blip as antagonists for Kobe's era of dominance.  Fair or unfair, that's my guess.

I've mentioned this before and naturally this forum ate me alive for it... but I think that's how they'll see it.  It wasn't supposed to be like that, though.  It was supposed to be about the rebirth of Celtic Pride.  Rondo was Luke Skywalker.  KG/Ray/Pierce were the Jedi Knights of a lost era (Obi-Wan, Yodi, etc).  2008 was supposed to be "A New Hope".   2009 was our "Empire Strikes Back".  2010 was supposed to be "The Return of the Jedi"... Rondo finally mastering his Jedi Knight powers and leading us to a new era of Celtic Pride glory.   Sadly, it didn't happen... and we're potentially less than a week away from seeing Rondo shipped out of town.   Oh well.

I think given how well we played in the Playoffs at times the relevance did go a little past 3.5.

But regardless, I agree with everything you've said, except maybe that you are seeming to say this narrative will grow into becoming solid.  It pretty much already has, and past that.  You bring up Kobe being Shaq's sidekick (100% true) but I don't think the public even would say that.  They probably just think Kobe was the best player on the court in every game he played.

I find KG to be very underrated.  To me, he's just better than Kobe straight out.  If you gave me the choice to choose one to start a team with it'd be KG by miles.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 08:33:28 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
What makes "Miracle on Ice " so incredible was the difference in the quality of players that was overcome by the USA back then that doesn't really equate to '07-'08.

Think about an All-Star   US COLLEGE hockey team nowadays beating Ovechkin, Malkin, Datsyuk, Kovalchuk, Tyutin et al.. That would be a miracle.

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 08:39:58 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I think given how well we played in the Playoffs at times the relevance did go a little past 3.5.

But regardless, I agree with everything you've said, except maybe that you are seeming to say this narrative will grow into becoming solid.  It pretty much already has, and past that.  You bring up Kobe being Shaq's sidekick (100% true) but I don't think the public even would say that.  They probably just think Kobe was the best player on the court in every game he played.

I find KG to be very underrated.  To me, he's just better than Kobe straight out.  If you gave me the choice to choose one to start a team with it'd be KG by miles.

I don't think that most people consider Kobe better than Shaq.  Or, at least I hope they don't.

Shaq trumps Duncan, Kobe, KG, etc..

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 08:45:04 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

I don't think that most people consider Kobe better than Shaq.  Or, at least I hope they don't.

Shaq trumps Duncan, Kobe, KG, etc..

You should get out there and see.   Most people would say Kobe is the best player since Jordan retired.  People were arguing that Kobe was better than LeBron until recently when you just couldn't possibly try to argue anymore and have credibility.

At his best, Shaq was the dominant player of his era no question.  I personally just love KG as an all around part of your team so he's my first choice, but Shaq is next, then Duncan, then I suppose Kobe.  But that's not going to be how a lot of people out there look at it.

Which is what it is.  I used to argue with people when they were saying Kobe was better than LeBron and all that but what's the point.

I think Shaq and KG are both underrated to the public at large.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 08:46:51 PM »

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum
What makes "Miracle on Ice " so incredible was the difference in the quality of players that was overcome by the USA back then that doesn't really equate to '07-'08.

Think about an All-Star   US COLLEGE hockey team nowadays beating Ovechkin, Malkin, Datsyuk, Kovalchuk, Tyutin et al.. That would be a miracle.

It was an ensemble collegiate cast, gathered by coach Brooks, who were raw talents but needed to be wielded into a tenacious force for the Olympics.

http://proicehockey.about.com/cs/history/a/miracle_on_ice.htm

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 09:20:33 PM »

Offline staticcc

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
Game 4 was the Miracle on Ice moment.
"The bigger the lie, the more they believe." - Bunk

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 10:12:18 PM »

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum

Well, it was a great comeback, and definitely a game for the ages.

But for all intensive purposes, we're better than that Kobe-ball squad and thus, it was our fault, for falling into a 24 pt deficit, to begin with.

And sure, when we play defense hard, the Lakers don't have a chance against us.

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 10:22:51 PM »

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum

Also, don't forget, if Team USA didn't beat Finland, in the follow up game (though a less famous game), Russia could have still gotten the Gold medal.

By beating both the USSR and Finland, two teams highly favored over the US, they'd performed back-to-back Miracle(s) on Ice, though only the first miracle is remembered in the media.