Author Topic: Welcome to the Celtics History Forum  (Read 38095 times)

Welcome to the Celtics History Forum
« on: January 21, 2009, 06:32:31 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
By popular demand, the staff has created a "Celtics History" forum.  Here, discuss individual players from the Celtics past, great games, comparisons between eras, etc.  We're hoping that members will use this board as an opportunity to share some of their observations regarding great players that some of the younger generation may have missed.

I've started five threads to get things started.  Nothing fancy; I picked five of the most influential Celtics greats, and copied their biographies from NBA.com.  I'm hopeful that you will all add to these threads, as well as start your own.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Re: Welcome to the Celtics History Forum
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 06:33:48 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
pretty sweet! im looking forward to seeing how it goes.

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 06:51:53 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Throwing out some games recent history but I'd love to see this go way back in Celtics history.  I'll probably add a few of those also.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 06:58:27 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
Well, that didn't take long.   ;D

"CB development on demand!"

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 06:59:33 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
This looks like a cool section. I have my doubts about the amount of participation it'll receive, but we'll see. In my opinion this forum fits better as a child forum inside Celtics Talk. As expressed in the Feedback section, CelticBlog is in a major need of consolidation and cleaning up of forum sections in my opinion. I don't think it's in the best interest to have a variety of quite similar forum sections in the index of the forum.

We'll see I guess. Hope for the best, and thanks as always.

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 03:37:01 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Great forum topic ... guess I picked a good time to return .. there are some really cool changes to the NBA! (Nicest Blog Around) CB!
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 03:53:14 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Great forum topic ... guess I picked a good time to return .. there are some really cool changes to the NBA! (Nicest Blog Around) CB!

Thanks, Bahku.  We do what we can to keep this place exciting.  We're finding a sort of "if you build it, posters will come" philosophy from our membership, which means we try to have plenty of forums for discussion.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 04:55:26 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I had totally forgotten about this thread, (thanks to the spammer for using this one in particular) ... good time to revive it. (I'd forgotten when I had returned to CB, too ... didn't we have a "Welcome Back" thread at one time?).

Anyway ... was just having an appropriate discussion today about the difference between "favorite" player and "best" player. I think sometimes when people ask who your favorite player is, they interpret that your answer is who you feel is the best player. Not even close for me.

As far as best player, (which is a much more difficult decision personally), I usually find myself wavering between Jordan and Russell, with the obvious differences in their games as a toss-up factor, (and a couple of other Greats close behind on my list).

But favorite player isn't even close ... it's Larry, period. Was he the "best" of all-time? As my previous statement indicates, probably not ... I don't believe he had quite the impact on the game itself (overall) that Michael or Bill did.

But when I qualify "favorite" in my mind, I'm thinking of who I loved to watch play the most ... who made the game the most fun to watch, the most exciting, who gave me the biggest knot of anticipation in my stomach when he came onto the floor. Larry Bird, no question.

And while this is just a personal observation on my part, I think there is also a strong argument to make him unequivocally one of the most awe-inspiring players to ever play the game ... period. Even folks who didn't like Larry on a personal level, still have a difficult time denying how exciting he was to watch.

While I have my share of Michael Jordan, Paul Pierce, Bill Russell, and other assorted players', (mostly Celtics), memorabilia taking up space in my home, just entering my front door leaves the one entering no question as to who my "favorite" athlete of all-time is, (as my abode is somewhat saturated with double-threes).

And while "best" is an argument that will forever divide the sports fan species from one-another, and make that topic most likely the one that all other sports topics will bow down to in reverence, "favorite" is a tag we can always hold onto as individuals, claim as our own, (no matter how absurd it may seem to others), and use to identify our taste in sports attributes.

Larry Bird the best of all time? There is certainly a strong argument there to the contrary, (though I could argue pretty vehemently to the yea as well). But when it comes to favorites "Larry Legend" will forever top the list in my book, and if I could have only one DVD of player highlights to watch from now until nigh, it would be the one with the green 33.

:)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 05:05:06 AM by Bahku »
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2011, 01:38:37 PM »

Offline DavorCroatiaFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 97
My apologies for starting All-time Celtics white VS all-time Celtics black team. I dind't mean annything negative and i didn't know its not allowed by the CB rules. For me it was all about basketball, like all-time lefty team VS all-time righthanded team...If i offended someone, believe me, it wasn't my intenion.
Peace
No1 Celtics fan in Croatia

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 01:59:36 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
My apologies for starting All-time Celtics white VS all-time Celtics black team. I dind't mean annything negative and i didn't know its not allowed by the CB rules. For me it was all about basketball, like all-time lefty team VS all-time righthanded team...If i offended someone, believe me, it wasn't my intenion.
Peace

No problem whatsoever.  Race tends to be a hot-button issue over here (I have no idea how it is in Croatia), so we try hard to steer clear of it.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 03:17:05 PM »

Offline DavorCroatiaFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 97
In Croatia is, i guess like in every other part of the World. Majority of normal people and few extremist. Frankly, i know only few afroamerican people...I have two kids, 5 years and 1,5 year old, and i teach him that all the peoples are equall.
To be honest, if i could choose one woman from all over the World for one date, it would be toppus between Halle Berry and Beyonce :).
No1 Celtics fan in Croatia