Author Topic: 2019 Basketball Hall of Fame Finalists  (Read 2237 times)

2019 Basketball Hall of Fame Finalists
« on: February 16, 2019, 01:42:45 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
There are 13 finalists, including seven former NBA players.  Those players:

1.  Chris Webber (5x All-NBA, 5x All-Star, Rookie of Year)
2.  Ben Wallace (4x DPOY, 5x All-NBA, 4x All-Star, 6x All-Defense, 2x NBA champion)
3.  Sidney Moncrief (2x DPOY, 5x All-NBA, 5x All-Star, 5x All-Defense)
4.  Marques Johnson (3x All-NBA, 5x All-Star)
5.  Bobby Jones (1x All-NBA, 5x All-Star, 11x All-Defense, 1x NBA champion)
6.  Jack Sikma (7x All-Star, 1x All-Defense, 1x NBA champion)
7.  Paul Westphal (4x All-NBA, 5x All-Star, 1x NBA champion)

I find the list really interesting, because it's like a referendum on the "very good but not necessarily an all-time great" debate.  None of these guys were necessarily a superstar, but they were all really good players who were recognized as all-stars or All-Defense multiple times.  I think using the "comparison to guys already in the HOF" criteria, strong arguments can be made for all seven.

My personal binkie on the list is Sidney Moncrief.  He's really underrated by the average fan.  And of course there's Paul Westphal, the subject of one of Red's poorer trades.

Between Moncrief, Johnson and Sikma, it could be the Bucks year.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 01:55:43 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: 2019 Basketball Hall of Fame Finalists
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 02:03:05 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Marques Johnson was awesome. He was every bit as good as Dr J in the late 70s early 80s. Less flair and style, more mechanical but just as effective. One of the top defenders in the league. A way above average rebounder. Lethal interior game. Good jump-shot. Good passer.

Top 5 player in the league at that time.

Shame he derailed his career with drugs.

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2019, 02:16:57 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Give me Moncrief & Wallace.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 09:17:06 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Marques Johnson was awesome. He was every bit as good as Dr J in the late 70s early 80s. Less flair and style, more mechanical but just as effective. One of the top defenders in the league. A way above average rebounder. Lethal interior game. Good jump-shot. Good passer.

He was injured also

That said, he played 691 games.  He was 1st Team All NBA 1 time and on the 2nd Team twice.  One year he finished 6th in MVP voting and another year at 10th (he had a few other years where he got a vote or two). He was a good but not great defender.  Solid all around career, but not a HOFer. 

Johnson is very similar to Webber, except Webber actually had a more full career, which makes him a lot more likely to get in.  Webber, for example had 5 top 10 MVP finshes, including 4th one year.  Webber had one 1st Team All NBA, three 2nd Teams, and one 3rd Team.  They were both all stars 5 times.  But Webber played 831 games and 15 seasons (to Johnson's 691 games in 11 seasons).  Webber had 80 playoff games to Johnson's 54. 

In other words, if I had to pick one of those guys, I'd pick the one that played longer and has similar awards, stats, measurables, etc. 

As for the grouping of players, Ben Wallace is the only guy I'd vote in.  He was the best player on a title team (or at least the most important player on that team).  He was a truly dominant defensive player and a truly dominant rebounder.  Best in the world at those things for 5 years or so.  No one else eligible can say that about anything, let alone, two highly important basketball skills. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 11:53:47 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Not sure any deserve the Hall so if one goes in maybe they all deserve to go in eventually.

I think Webber gets a bad rap of course he didn't help himself with a famous time out call and taking money as a college player getting Michigan's Final Four appearances vacated.

But...

Member and best player of the Fab Five
6 20/10 seasons.
2 more seasons of 20+/9.7+
11 years scoring 20 or more points.
Excellent passer.
Good to very defender.

Webber's first ten years were Hall worthy. The rest if his career not so much.

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 12:54:56 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

He was injured also

That said, he played 691 games.  He was 1st Team All NBA 1 time and on the 2nd Team twice.  One year he finished 6th in MVP voting and another year at 10th (he had a few other years where he got a vote or two). He was a good but not great defender.  Solid all around career, but not a HOFer. 

Johnson is very similar to Webber, except Webber actually had a more full career, which makes him a lot more likely to get in.  Webber, for example had 5 top 10 MVP finshes, including 4th one year.  Webber had one 1st Team All NBA, three 2nd Teams, and one 3rd Team.  They were both all stars 5 times.  But Webber played 831 games and 15 seasons (to Johnson's 691 games in 11 seasons).  Webber had 80 playoff games to Johnson's 54. 

In other words, if I had to pick one of those guys, I'd pick the one that played longer and has similar awards, stats, measurables, etc. 

As for the grouping of players, Ben Wallace is the only guy I'd vote in.  He was the best player on a title team (or at least the most important player on that team).  He was a truly dominant defensive player and a truly dominant rebounder.  Best in the world at those things for 5 years or so.  No one else eligible can say that about anything, let alone, two highly important basketball skills.
I should add to this, with college taken into account, I'd probably put Webber in.

Either way I think it is just Wallace and Webber that get in, though if there was ever a time for those 80's guys it is this year when the more modern class is so weak.

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2019, 02:26:32 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Marques Johnson deserves to be in if only for his portrayal of Raymond in White Men Can't Jump.

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2019, 08:54:22 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
So far...

In:  Chuck Cooper (pioneer), Bill Fitch, Paul Westphal, Sidney Moncrief, Vlade Divac (international), Bobby Jones, Jack Sickma, Ralph Lawler (media), Marc Stein (media)

Out:  Ben Wallace, Chris Webber, Marques Johnson

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2019, 08:56:26 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
How is Mike Gorman not in the HOF as an announcer?  Same with Tommy.

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2019, 09:32:20 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Moncrief!  Finally.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2019, 11:11:16 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
That's crazy - it's like they specifically left out the two players I would have had in on that list. I suppose in 20-30 years, they will finally get in as the lore of 2000s basketball will continue to grow and grow  :P

Marques Johnson deserves to be in if only for his portrayal of Raymond in White Men Can't Jump.

Lol - "Na, na - this ain't Raymond!"

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2019, 02:44:04 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
So far...

In:  Chuck Cooper (pioneer), Bill Fitch, Paul Westphal, Sidney Moncrief, Vlade Divac (international), Bobby Jones, Jack Sickma, Ralph Lawler (media), Marc Stein (media)

How does great defensive player, Bobby Jones, get in but elite defensive savant Ben Wallace not get in? Either they are both in or both not in, IMO

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2019, 09:07:57 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Bobby Jones getting in is ridiculous.  HOF is becoming a sham.

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2019, 09:17:00 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
So far...

How does great defensive player, Bobby Jones, get in but elite defensive savant Ben Wallace not get in? Either they are both in or both not in, IMO
Yeah, seems ludicrous to me. 4x DPOY gets left out because another (inferior defender) gets in on the grounds of defence
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)