Author Topic: Kevin Porter Jr  (Read 19295 times)

Re: Kevin Porter Jr
« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2021, 08:27:43 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Really wishing we had him now!
Absolutely.  Right now, he is better than Edwards, Langford, Green, Nesmith, G. Williams, Waters, Fall, and maybe even Teague and Pritchard (he is a much better passer than Pritchard though obviously hasn't shot well).  And he is way more top end potential than Ojeleye and Pritchard (so even if he isn't better now, he will be in the future unless he mentally implodes).  He'd also be the youngest player on the roster as he is about 6 months younger than Nesmith.  A bad shooting game doesn't change any of that analysis at all, especially when he had 7 assists showing off decent passing skills yet again. 

And to be clear, I don't think Porter would change Boston's tier at all this year, and maybe not ever, but he certainly has far more potential than most of the roster and when you can get those players for literally nothing, you should take the risk.  Ainge, however, is risk averse.  I would never expect him to take that sort of flyer on a player, because he never takes those sorts of risk.  We've seen it with established stars (like Cousins) and rookies.  Ainge doesn't take risks.  he only makes a move he knows he will win, at least recently.  He hasn't taken a real chance in years.

1.  Goukii was being sarcastic;

2.  Every single GM of a team remotely in playoff contention passed on him.  None of them thought he was worth even a second rounder. That’s because you do not take flyers on fringe NBA players who are known for one thing: being cancerous.
I know he was being sarcastic.

He isn't a fringe NBA player.  He may very well be a cancer, but he most definitely is not a fringe NBA player.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2021, 08:29:14 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Absolutely.  Right now, he is better than Edwards, Langford, Green, Nesmith, G. Williams, Waters, Fall, and maybe even Teague and Pritchard (he is a much better passer than Pritchard though obviously hasn't shot well).  And he is way more top end potential than Ojeleye and Pritchard (so even if he isn't better now, he will be in the future unless he mentally implodes).  He'd also be the youngest player on the roster as he is about 6 months younger than Nesmith.  A bad shooting game doesn't change any of that analysis at all, especially when he had 7 assists showing off decent passing skills yet again. 

And to be clear, I don't think Porter would change Boston's tier at all this year, and maybe not ever, but he certainly has far more potential than most of the roster and when you can get those players for literally nothing, you should take the risk.  Ainge, however, is risk averse.  I would never expect him to take that sort of flyer on a player, because he never takes those sorts of risk.  We've seen it with established stars (like Cousins) and rookies.  Ainge doesn't take risks.  he only makes a move he knows he will win, at least recently.  He hasn't taken a real chance in years.

2.  Every single GM of a team remotely in playoff contention passed on him.  None of them thought he was worth even a second rounder. That’s because you do not take flyers on fringe NBA players who are known for one thing: being cancerous.
Yeah, we don't need someone with his kind of overinflated sense of "I deserve shots"
He has 25 assists in 3 games. 

« Reply #77 on: March 15, 2021, 08:36:07 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Yeah, we don't need someone with his kind of overinflated sense of "I deserve shots"
While taking 7 threes at 19%, and 16 shots in total with an eFG of 43.8%

He's got a usage rate close to 30, has been a net negative on offence this year (as he was last year) and has been neutral defensively (where he was a negative last year).

He might have this unidentifiable talent (being good in high school and mediocre in college I guess) you speak of, but he's had issues with his personality every season in the NBA and he had it in college. How many guys like this have come good?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #78 on: March 15, 2021, 09:25:29 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

While taking 7 threes at 19%, and 16 shots in total with an eFG of 43.8%

He's got a usage rate close to 30, has been a net negative on offence this year (as he was last year) and has been neutral defensively (where he was a negative last year).

He might have this unidentifiable talent (being good in high school and mediocre in college I guess) you speak of, but he's had issues with his personality every season in the NBA and he had it in college. How many guys like this have come good?
Plenty of players of all skill levels have had issues early on and turned it around.  Plenty have not.  it is a crapshoot and thus a risk, but when the cost is virtually nothing it is a risk I would have taken because if it worked out it could have made a big difference and if he still had issues, you cut him.  it isn't like he would have cost anything but a roster spot to acquire and if cutting/trading Edwards or Green would have destroyed the locker-room, then it wasn't much of a locker-room to begin with.  The simple truth is, Porter right now is better than a handful of players on the team and has more potential then half the roster.  That is why I would have acquired him.  The team needs more talent and he has more talent than a lot of the roster.

« Reply #79 on: April 21, 2021, 11:01:45 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Houston Rockets guard Kevin Porter Jr. will miss time because of a violation of the NBA's health and safety protocols stemming from visiting a Miami strip club with teammate Sterling Brown that resulted in Brown being assaulted, sources told ESPN.

Porter likely will be out until at least Sunday, Rockets coach Stephen Silas said prior to Wednesday's game against the Utah Jazz. The NBA's health and safety protocols limit where players can go while on the road.

Weird.  This guy just must have bad luck, always finding himself in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #80 on: April 21, 2021, 11:07:15 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Houston Rockets guard Kevin Porter Jr. will miss time because of a violation of the NBA's health and safety protocols stemming from visiting a Miami strip club with teammate Sterling Brown that resulted in Brown being assaulted, sources told ESPN.

Porter likely will be out until at least Sunday, Rockets coach Stephen Silas said prior to Wednesday's game against the Utah Jazz. The NBA's health and safety protocols limit where players can go while on the road.

Weird.  This guy just must have bad luck, always finding himself in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Haha. Such an unfortunate individual
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #81 on: April 22, 2021, 01:58:43 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

I am kind of surprised they are not cutting him

« Reply #82 on: April 22, 2021, 05:46:08 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Well I'm sure Porter had something to do with Sterling Brown getting cut :o

« Reply #83 on: April 22, 2021, 07:30:23 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
He needs to grow up or something bad gotta happen..now u know why teams avoided him..same goes with Brown
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #84 on: April 22, 2021, 09:57:41 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
He needs to grow up or something bad gotta happen..now u know why teams avoided him..same goes with Brown
well, in Brown's case, Sterling is just his name, not his reputation   ;)

« Reply #85 on: April 22, 2021, 02:57:56 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Porter Jr has some talent definitely that may protect him some from just getting cut.

« Reply #86 on: April 22, 2021, 03:56:18 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

He's owed money next year, so he'll get one more chance to get it together.  But I wouldn't be surprised to see him not make it out of training camp.

« Reply #87 on: April 30, 2021, 05:41:53 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
For one day it was like James Harden was back in Houston.

Kevin Porter Jr: 50/5/11

It would be crazy if he could reach that level more often, his playing style is actually a lot like Harden.

« Reply #88 on: April 30, 2021, 06:40:43 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
For one day it was like James Harden was back in Houston.

Kevin Porter Jr: 50/5/11

It would be crazy if he could reach that level more often, his playing style is actually a lot like Harden.
Terrence Ross had a 50 point night in his career when he was younger lol. I think he has some promising on-ball skills, but he's still almost 4 points behind league average scoring efficiency as a medium volume scorer. Definitely has potential though.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #89 on: April 30, 2021, 07:11:29 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
If he can keep his outside life at bay, he can be good for long time but I doubt he will
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin