Author Topic: would you trade both Marcus's and the MEM pick for Aaron Gordon?  (Read 8921 times)

Re: would you trade both Marcus's and the MEM pick for Aaron Gordon?
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2018, 02:07:55 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Let's say it's getting close to the trade deadline and Danny thinks the team needs to bolster the front court. Does he consider a quantity for quality trade such as this? Orlando likes Gordon, but start to really like Isaac. They need a point guard and wouldn't mind getting an expiring and a lottery pick in return as well. Boston throws in Yabusele to make the salaries work, so it would be..

ORL gets: Marcus Smart, Marcus Morris, Guerschon Yabusele, MEM pick (probably falls between 9-14)
BOS gets: Aaron Gordon

Celtics roll in to the playoffs with an unreal 8 man rotation of Irving, Hayward, Horford, Gordon, Tatum, Brown, Rozier, Baynes..

Remember that Gordon is one of the better and more versatile defenders in the league and isn't even 23 yet. Reasonable contract for a player of his caliber.

Would you do this? Would Boston need to sweeten the pot?

I'm not touching this deal strictly for two reason.  One we don't know if Irving is staying after this year.  So Smart is locked up and could be a starting point guard if Irving and Rozier leave.  Two we don't really have a spot for him completely.  He's not going to start over Hayward or Tatum.  So I'd say no for this two big reason.  Plus I rather keep the Memphis pick and use that and our pick or Clippers pick to get another high pick this year or move back to another draft.

Just to reassure, the chances of us losing BOTH Irving and Rozier are tiny.

We not only will have Bird Rights on both, but we also will have Restricted Rights on Rozier.  All we have to do is put a Qualifying Offer on Rozier to hold our rights to match until we have Irving's situation resolved, whose intentions should be clear fairly quickly into free agency.  If Irving walks, we'll be able to match any offer sheet to Rozier.

So I wouldn't include that particular 'fear' as part of your reasoning on this trade.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2018, 02:19:33 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
I think the concerns about 'fit' are legitimate -- but only given the current, healthy state of the roster.

The premise of the OP was that the team was in need of front court help at the deadline.  In other words, maybe one of Al, Jayson or Theis is injured.    In that scenario, his "fit" would suddenly be a lot  better.

Especially in a season when you are trying to make a title run.   If we did indeed need 'front court help' at the deadline and this deal was available, Danny should and would leap all over it in a heartbeat.  Given the expectations of this year's team, it would be criminal not to.

His declining contract also makes him a potentially useful asset in subsequent seasons so even though, once everyone is again 'healthy', there might seem to be a glut at the forward position, it shouldn't be too hard for Danny to resolve that.

All that said, i'm extremely skeptical that Orlando would ever do such a deal.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2018, 03:32:02 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
The premise of the OP was that the team was in need of front court help at the deadline.  In other words, maybe one of Al, Jayson or Theis is injured.    In that scenario, his "fit" would suddenly be a lot  better.

I did not get that impression at all from the OP's post. The scenario was if Danny thinks the team needs to bolster the front court. I took bolster as everyone is healthy and Danny just wants to strengthen the front court even further.

Plus I assume the OP picked the trade deadline since Marcus Smart just signed a new contract and I don't believe he can be traded any time soon before the trade deadline.

« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2018, 04:33:02 PM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
No
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2018, 06:33:38 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

I did not get that impression at all from the OP's post. The scenario was if Danny thinks the team needs to bolster the front court. I took bolster as everyone is healthy and Danny just wants to strengthen the front court even further.

Plus I assume the OP picked the trade deadline since Marcus Smart just signed a new contract and I don't believe he can be traded any time soon before the trade deadline.

Why would it need bolstering if everyone is healthy?  If healthy, our front-court should be really, really, really good.

FWIW:  I believe Dec 15 is the earliest Smart can be traded.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 06:42:05 PM by mmmmm »

« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2018, 07:41:06 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
I haven't followed Gordon super closely, but assuming that he passes closer examination, you absolutely have to do this. The contract is the deciding factor. Its a great deal and the money goes down over time!

I agree that he can't start immediately, but there are enough minutes for him. It would make our bench intimidating, and give room for Rozier to develop. I think you can argue that it doesn't help that much immediately, but it wouldn't hurt us either. The real motivation is longer term. Horford is 32. Gordon is 22. Three years from now, you'll wish you'd done that deal. There is a multiplier effect to having that kind of athleticism on the floor.

« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2018, 07:43:17 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224

Why would it need bolstering if everyone is healthy?  If healthy, our front-court should be really, really, really good.

FWIW:  I believe Dec 15 is the earliest Smart can be traded.

Really really really good might be an exaggeration..Aron Baynes is our 2nd best big next to 32 year old Horford.

« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2018, 07:44:35 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Sorry, but where exactly is Gordon going to play?

You really think Cs are gonna pay someone $20 mil per to come off the bench?

« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2018, 08:36:26 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
It would be a big roster shakeup, and for that reason I don't know if I would do it. I think the current roster as is has a good chance at a championship. But the idea of starting Gordon at the 4 and bringing Hayward off the bench as the sixth man is very appealing to me.

Hayward is a top 20 player. He’s not coming off the bench.

Hayward has never been a top 20 player in his career. In fact, he has only made one all-star appearance. What makes him a "top 20 player"?

« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2018, 08:44:44 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
It would be a big roster shakeup, and for that reason I don't know if I would do it. I think the current roster as is has a good chance at a championship. But the idea of starting Gordon at the 4 and bringing Hayward off the bench as the sixth man is very appealing to me.

Hayward has never been a top 20 player in his career. In fact, he has only made one all-star appearance. What makes him a "top 20 player"?
Here we go again
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2018, 03:34:23 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Why not?

« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2018, 05:37:34 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
No
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2018, 09:32:04 PM »

Offline TheisTheisBaby

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
HELL NO!!

« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2018, 09:44:50 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
HELL NO!!
Watch your ****ing language.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2018, 11:21:02 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306

For me, it's the fact I don't think anyone can rationally argue that there are 20 better players in the NBA than GH, so yes, he's a top 20 player.