Author Topic: Negativity  (Read 14790 times)

Re: Negativity
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2012, 10:57:37 AM »

Offline TruthPierce2008

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
Three pointer by # 15 Tim Tebow

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2012, 10:59:34 AM »

Offline Tgro

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
  • It's all about the TEAM!
I think what has become a bit discouraging to me is the constant Championship or its a bust mentality. Certainly we have all grown accustomed to the Celtics being championship contenders and anything less is disappointing but is it realistic to feel like your team needs to win it all every year or it's a bust and everyone needs to be replaced because all the pieces we have now are just not good enough? Certainly I want to see the Celtics win another championship and while I think the chances are slim, I don't think our chances this year are utterly hopeless like say a team like the Washington Wizards.

I've seen a lot of people say they see us winning so many games and winning maybe the 1st round but hardly any see us beyond that. Okay, so using that for a barometer, where is the break even for a a good season? If they accomplish just that are we going to be a failure and not worth watching? I don't know about you guys but I enjoyed last season and we ended the same way. I think we had a shot until all the injuries took us out. Give me a healthy Shaq and Rondo and we might have pulled it off.

I think the odds certainly look much longer at this point but I am optimistic about what this team can do once they come together. I think they got something good in them that we haven't seen yet. If they folded 2nd round I might consider that about what we expected and no harm no foul. I'm personally very curious how we transition into next season. I think our storyline is very interesting to say the least. We have pieces and we have players. How's it going to shake out? I want to see it.

If we fail we fail. God knows, I've seen plenty of sucky Celtics seasons and know how bad they can be but still I cheered just as hard. I think personally we have it good now even in a depleted form compared to the previous 4 years. We still have a good basketball team to cheer for. We could do far worse.

Everybody is free to say what they want and while we all need to blow off steam and vent from time to time, it would be nice to see some more positivity around here too. There is a Negativity thread here for a reason and I didn't make it. Certainly it must be wearing on some people how quickly we've cast out our beloved Celtics over thinking the grass is greener if we just shipped everyone out. To each his own I guess.

I would like to say I apologize to anyone if I may have offended in my previous posts. I'm just as passionate about the Celtics as any of you are. I just prefer to think we still have a good team and I think we still have plenty to be optimistic about. That's all.  
The Celtics aren't quitters. Why should you be? - blind homer

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2012, 09:04:12 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i think there has been a lot of negativity this season on cb.  i have been here for a long time, and this has been the worse.  i dont mind seeing a "negative" view, the only problem i have is the over the top negativity, rather than reasonable frustration/negativity.  the over the top stuff has been annoying around here.

i look at the over the top stuff the same way i do with the yahoos who call into sports radio show.....the people don't represent the entire fan base, are over the top, and often blow hards.

with radio and over the top stuff on cb, i just find myself doing a lot of this  ::), rather than getting worked up about it.  it isnt worth getting upset over, its only a blog.

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2012, 09:46:22 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
i think there has been a lot of negativity this season on cb.  i have been here for a long time, and this has been the worse.  i dont mind seeing a "negative" view, the only problem i have is the over the top negativity, rather than reasonable frustration/negativity.  the over the top stuff has been annoying around here.

i look at the over the top stuff the same way i do with the yahoos who call into sports radio show.....the people don't represent the entire fan base, are over the top, and often blow hards.

with radio and over the top stuff on cb, i just find myself doing a lot of this  ::), rather than getting worked up about it.  it isnt worth getting upset over, its only a blog.

While I agree that things have been especially negative on the site this year, I do think it has mirrored Celtics nation as a whole.  From my experience talking to other fans, and being at a couple of the games, the panic level is the highest it has been that I can remember (including in the bad years, because everyone was so desensitized to losing at that point).

But I find myself in the same position as you.  I am just tuning out the criticism as much as possible and drawing my own conclusions.

My biggest frustration isn't the negativity, it is the over the top expectations.  I think one of the reasons I have been able to keep (at least what I consider) a level head through this is that I know things are not easy to do in the NBA.  I know it is very hard to put together a contender year after year, and it is even harder to turn an aging contender around quickly. 

So, to me, the "blow it up" type statements just come across as a bit naive. And yes, I know that sounds completely condescending, and I don't mean it that way...I know my opinion is no better than anyone else's...but my opinion is what matters to me, and the fact that I believe Danny can't (and couldn't a year or two ago either) just snap his fingers and make this team the best team in the league again, helps me sleep at night.

I know (at least in my own reality) that it is going to be a long road back to the top.  But I also know that we are poised to have the flexibility needed to take advantage of opportunities when they present themselves...but those opportunities will likely not show up this season.  So, I am content just enjoying watching this team for what it is.  A collection of very skilled players, some of them near the end of their careers.  But a team that, while not dominant, can turn it on and be an absolute pleasure to watch...and a real pain to play against.  And for now, that is enough for me. 

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2012, 10:09:52 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
The "end of the road for this team" is hitting home with many fans. 

Some fans were waiting for this to happen and were happily surprised it did not happen in earlier seasons.

Some fans didn't think it was going to happen and are dealing with the shock.

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2012, 10:19:48 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I think what has become a bit discouraging to me is the constant Championship or its a bust mentality. Certainly we have all grown accustomed to the Celtics being championship contenders and anything less is disappointing but is it realistic to feel like your team needs to win it all every year or it's a bust and everyone needs to be replaced because all the pieces we have now are just not good enough? Certainly I want to see the Celtics win another championship and while I think the chances are slim, I don't think our chances this year are utterly hopeless like say a team like the Washington Wizards.

I've seen a lot of people say they see us winning so many games and winning maybe the 1st round but hardly any see us beyond that. Okay, so using that for a barometer, where is the break even for a a good season? If they accomplish just that are we going to be a failure and not worth watching? I don't know about you guys but I enjoyed last season and we ended the same way. I think we had a shot until all the injuries took us out. Give me a healthy Shaq and Rondo and we might have pulled it off.

I think the odds certainly look much longer at this point but I am optimistic about what this team can do once they come together. I think they got something good in them that we haven't seen yet. If they folded 2nd round I might consider that about what we expected and no harm no foul. I'm personally very curious how we transition into next season. I think our storyline is very interesting to say the least. We have pieces and we have players. How's it going to shake out? I want to see it.

If we fail we fail. God knows, I've seen plenty of sucky Celtics seasons and know how bad they can be but still I cheered just as hard. I think personally we have it good now even in a depleted form compared to the previous 4 years. We still have a good basketball team to cheer for. We could do far worse.

Everybody is free to say what they want and while we all need to blow off steam and vent from time to time, it would be nice to see some more positivity around here too. There is a Negativity thread here for a reason and I didn't make it. Certainly it must be wearing on some people how quickly we've cast out our beloved Celtics over thinking the grass is greener if we just shipped everyone out. To each his own I guess.

I would like to say I apologize to anyone if I may have offended in my previous posts. I'm just as passionate about the Celtics as any of you are. I just prefer to think we still have a good team and I think we still have plenty to be optimistic about. That's all.  
My sports mentality is quite simple: Can my favorite team at some point win the title with essentially the current roster?  If the answer is yes, than hopefully the team does so.  If the answer is no, than is the team doing everything it can to get the roster to that point.  If the answer is yes than I can suffer through some losing seasons.  If the answer is no, than I get frustrated with the team.  

For me I can't see the Celtics winning the title and unfortunately I don't see the Celtics making the moves necessary to get back to a title team and that is why I'm frustrated.  This current team isn't going to win the title and it has 3 expiring contracts of various sizes that it should be doing everything in its power to move and get something for them (anything is better than nothing).  I'd rather just blow it up, get a few extra picks or young players, not be very good for a few years and hopefully land a franchise player in the draft or free agency that can form the foundation for the next title team.  

The status quo just isn't good enough because the status quo isn't going to win a title and isn't on the upward path to a title (like say the Sixers, Grizzlies, Clippers, etc. who may not be a legit contender this year, but look like they could be in a season or two).  
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2012, 10:27:24 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

For me I can't see the Celtics winning the title and unfortunately I don't see the Celtics making the moves necessary to get back to a title team and that is why I'm frustrated.  This current team isn't going to win the title and it has 3 expiring contracts of various sizes that it should be doing everything in its power to move and get something for them (anything is better than nothing).  I'd rather just blow it up, get a few extra picks or young players, not be very good for a few years and hopefully land a franchise player in the draft or free agency that can form the foundation for the next title team.  

The status quo just isn't good enough because the status quo isn't going to win a title and isn't on the upward path to a title (like say the Sixers, Grizzlies, Clippers, etc. who may not be a legit contender this year, but look like they could be in a season or two).  

And here is where I think I differ from you, and a lot of other people in Celtics nation.

While I agree the C's are not likely to win a title (although I still think they have an outside chance, and perhaps the best chance they will have for a long time going forward), I do not agree that "something is better than nothing".  In todays NBA (even moreso with the new CBA), cap space is insanely valuable.  And, overpaid, old players on a 3 month rental are not nearly as valuable.

So, while I think there is an outside chance they could get value for some of their guys, I don't think its a given.  I would say 99% of the offers they would get would involve taking on bad salary going forward, or, they would just be getting very mediocre picks/prospects.

So, I look at what is going on, and I don't think we are seeing the status quo.  I see a team waiting for the right opportunity to make the moves, and that opportunity would very likely not be now, unless some other team gets desperate.

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2012, 10:32:32 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
with all due respect, I kind of have to shrug my shoulders on this issue and say "the team is getting worse - it happens"

I understand the intent of this discussion and the intricacies of what it means as far as running a site (believe me) - but I'm not sure how much more we can do about it
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2012, 11:11:10 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

While I agree that things have been especially negative on the site this year, I do think it has mirrored Celtics nation as a whole.  From my experience talking to other fans, and being at a couple of the games, the panic level is the highest it has been that I can remember (including in the bad years, because everyone was so desensitized to losing at that point).

But I find myself in the same position as you.  I am just tuning out the criticism as much as possible and drawing my own conclusions.

My biggest frustration isn't the negativity, it is the over the top expectations.  I think one of the reasons I have been able to keep (at least what I consider) a level head through this is that I know things are not easy to do in the NBA.  I know it is very hard to put together a contender year after year, and it is even harder to turn an aging contender around quickly. 

So, to me, the "blow it up" type statements just come across as a bit naive. And yes, I know that sounds completely condescending, and I don't mean it that way...I know my opinion is no better than anyone else's...but my opinion is what matters to me, and the fact that I believe Danny can't (and couldn't a year or two ago either) just snap his fingers and make this team the best team in the league again, helps me sleep at night.

I know (at least in my own reality) that it is going to be a long road back to the top.  But I also know that we are poised to have the flexibility needed to take advantage of opportunities when they present themselves...but those opportunities will likely not show up this season.  So, I am content just enjoying watching this team for what it is.  A collection of very skilled players, some of them near the end of their careers.  But a team that, while not dominant, can turn it on and be an absolute pleasure to watch...and a real pain to play against.  And for now, that is enough for me. 

Well said.  Having suffered through some very, very crappy teams in the past, I just try to enjoy quality basketball when I get it and enjoy the drama of the season unfolding, no matter where it ends up in the end.

I never understand why it is so important for some folks to be first to scream, "We are going to win it ALL!!!!"(optimists) or "We suck!  We are going out in the first round!"(pessimists).

I guess I just can't claim to have that kind of rock-solid certain vision about the future as those kinds of folks!
 ::)
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2012, 01:30:22 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Maxine = Negative Celtics Fans

Here's what they need.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_naDhLmLrM&feature=related

Notice that Maxine is a woman.
TP for awesome obscureness

« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2012, 01:39:19 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
For a thread about negativity that was a really good thread. Surprisingly unnegative with really good posts by lots of people.

Honestly I love this season. The bad stuff is stuff that for the most part I knew would happen at some point.

I love games almost every other day and getting to say to Mrs. eja...The Celts are on...I get a beer

I asked her if she'd rather a longer season with more games spread out or a shorter season with the games together and at first she said "SHORTER! LESS GAMES!", but then wasn't as sure.

I love having huge fantasy nights every night

Red Sox fans are way more negative

I think also for Chris when the ticket price is what it it people feel more entitled to tell you what they think about it.

It's an election year. It's a college football scandal year. It's just a negative year.  I mean people even found ways to be negative about Tim Tebow.  TIM TEBOW!  I understand negativity about Ben Rothlisburger or Kobe, or even Mr. Kardashian.  But negativity about Tim Tebow?

The only negative thing I have to say is that I think there will be more before there is less.

« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2012, 01:46:55 PM »

Offline rutzan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 85
You must have been reading my mind!  i was thinking of posting this topic for the last month...If you are for the Celtics...jump on board...be a bandwagoner...drink green koolaid...whatever you want to call it...if not...oh well...your choice...

"What you are for makes you stronger, what you are against makes you weaker."

Mother Teresa