Author Topic: Negativity  (Read 14791 times)

Negativity
« on: January 08, 2012, 10:02:07 AM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97
What is it with all the negativity on these forums?

Okay, the first thing people are going to say is that they are not being negative, they are being realistic. There are some people for whom this is true. But really, most of the pessimists on the forums are no more realistic than the optimists. The season is so young it's ridiculous to make any judgments about the team (remember the Heat had a slow start last year, and the Celtics had a fast one. Who went further?).

Being realistic is one thing. However, some of the negativity is almost spiteful in its nature. In another thread, someone made a good case for why Pietrus will help us. He can hit the three and defend well, both of which are valuable pieces off the bench; and while we don't know how good he is post-injury, he has potential. That's a very realistic and reasonable thing to say. However, several people come in and just dismiss all the rational arguments in favor of "NO WE ARE DONE NEXT LALALA NOT LISTENING!!!"

That is, it isn't constructive negativity. It is negativity for the sake of negativity. I know things for the team look dark right now, and Boston fans are notoriously knee-jerk in their reactions (I can't remember who it was, but recently I remember listening to sports radio and a Boston commentator note that if you only followed the Boston fans that called into his show you would think the Patriots were 3-13 from all the hyperbole).

It is irritating sometimes when half of the people on a thread are having a rational discussion about the team, and half a dozen people come in and basically say, "WHY BOTHER TALKING ABOUT THIS WE SUCK".

Now, here is the way I see it:

On paper, the Celtics are an elite team. At the moment, they are not playing to their potential. It remains to be seen whether it is possible for them to reach their potential, but it is FAR too early to make a serious conclusion one way or the other.

As long as they have a chance on paper, and it is too early to write them off, what is the point of the excessive negativity? It isn't fun to be negative. It is more fun to hold out hope, no matter how ridiculous it might seem to do so. I juts don't see how anyone can enjoy being negative.

You may argue that you are just keeping your expectations low so as not to be disappointed. But in doing so, you are throwing out any chance you have at enjoying the season. I would rather enjoy the Celtics season for what it is, holding out far-fetched hope. Yes, I'll be disappointed if it ends on a sour note, but then I can just watch the drama of the playoffs and Finals and root for another team.

Being a pessimist won't reduce the disappointment at the end of the season. All it does it make sure you don't enjoy the season at all. It just makes the whole thing miserable, for you and for anyone who is trying to enjoy themselves when you come in muttering about how much our team sucks.

That's just the way I see it. I don't understand why anyone would want to be excessively negative. And if you really want to be negative, that's your choice, but why do so many of you seem to take enjoyment in making sure us optimists don't enjoy ourselves?

Re: Negativity
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 10:16:24 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Does that paper that the C's are elite on also list the ages for four of our five starters?  Consider the current, not historical, capabilities of JO and KG?

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 10:21:23 AM »

Offline jpk2000

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 7
It's typical of Celtics fans to be negative. I can't wait to see what Celtics fans will say next once this Big 3 era is over. Once this team, again become irrelevant we'll see how much fans will complain.

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 10:28:56 AM »

Offline Tgro

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
  • It's all about the TEAM!
TP

It's a lot worse this season. I miss the optimism of this board and the appreciation for the Celtics that we used to have. It was a lot more fun when we hung in there and just cheered the team on and could see they were warriors and wasn't going down without a fight.

I don't believe this group is going down without a fight either. But the overall feeling I get when I come here lately is we suck and we should just hang our heads in disgust and shame. 
The Celtics aren't quitters. Why should you be? - blind homer

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 10:34:00 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
The type of person who spends a very significant amount of his or her time posting on a forum dedicated to their favorite sports team is prone to hyperfocus on every thing that happens relating to his or her team.

That means when things tend to be going rather badly, there's gonna be a lot of negativity coming from such people.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 10:35:49 AM »

Offline jpk2000

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 7
The negativity of Celtics is like a broken record. That is all Celtics fan do is complain. It's nauseating to the stomach and mind. So they're 4-4 who cares. It's eight games into this compressed 66 game season.

With all the back-to-back games and so, a lot of teams are going to have wins and loses that even out. 

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 10:44:00 AM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
Any fans who thought this season was going to go any other way must not have been paying attention for the last couple of years.

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 10:44:07 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Quote from: jpk2000 link=topic=52139.msg1109131#msg1109131

With all the back-to-back games and so, a lot of teams are going to have wins and loses that even out.  

yes, there's going to be a lot more "parity" this season in terms of regular season record.

a lot of the younger, less talented but deeper teams are going to steal wins from more top heavy teams.  

that's the only reason there's a chance -- and a very good one, I think -- that teams that would normally finish lower than the Celtics in the standings, like the Sixers and Pacers, will finish higher than them.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 10:46:36 AM »

Offline Tgro

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
  • It's all about the TEAM!
Maxine = Negative Celtics Fans

Here's what they need.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_naDhLmLrM&feature=related

Notice that Maxine is a woman.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 02:14:53 PM by Tgro »
The Celtics aren't quitters. Why should you be? - blind homer

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 10:50:20 AM »

Offline ms.ball

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 14
  • I love the Celtics
Basketball is my life, these are my babies!
PP34, RR9, RA20, KG5

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 10:54:02 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Considering I was 100% certain there would be no season at all, I see any games as somewhat of a positive novelty at this point.  Just be happy you have something to be negative about at all!
Yup

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 11:07:43 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Now, here is the way I see it:

On paper, the Celtics are an elite team. At the moment, they are not playing to their potential. It remains to be seen whether it is possible for them to reach their potential, but it is FAR too early to make a serious conclusion one way or the other.

I am not sure where the Celtics are at yet on paper either ... whether they are still elite or on that second tier (or worse? doubtful of that though).

Still waiting to see where Garnett is. Very hard to evaluate him so far. If he can play at the level he was at last season, then yes, I think they are still an elite team. If not, then it depends on how much KG has declined and early signs indicate that there is some pretty substantial decline there.

Looking forward to seeing where KG lands and whether he can give this team another shot at a title or not. Know a lot more in another 10-15 games.

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2012, 12:03:23 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I would certainly consider myself an optimist about this team, and I have gotten annoyed or frustrated with some of the negative attitudes about this team.  However, when I reflect on it, the different view points is kind of what makes it fun to participate in a forum like this and leads to compelling discussion.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2012, 01:14:57 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Why do other people's attitudes bother anyone?   It's a free country and there is something called freedom of speech.   The attitudes of others only bother those who are not secure in  their attitude, IMHO.

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2012, 02:11:24 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Why do other people's attitudes bother anyone?   It's a free country and there is something called freedom of speech.   The attitudes of others only bother those who are not secure in  their attitude, IMHO.

Freedom of speech doesn't mean that people are required to be unaffected by things that others say.  I agree with tolerance for people's right to say whatever they want (within the limits of law), but I am certainly reserving my own right to respond, sometimes with emotion, to what's been said.  Frankly, I find it difficult to believe that there is nothing anyone can say that would bother you.  If you are really that 'secure', that's unique. Most of us are vulnerable.