Author Topic: Do you enjoy posting in the Game Threads anymore?  (Read 27165 times)

Do you enjoy posting in the Game Threads anymore?
« on: December 28, 2011, 02:05:37 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Yes, I am the guy that called for two game threads so that people with a "realistic, constructive criticism, venting, less than positive" outlook could post in the original game thread and people who want to cheer their team on could have their own game thread.

It was shot down.

So I stopped going to the game threads for a long long time because I was just not enjoying myself anymore. It used to be a place to cheer on the team, yell at the refs, have some good basketball banter and rejoice when the team played well and console one another when the team didn't play well.

Anyone who was in last night's Celtic/Heat game thread knows that atmosphere has not existed in game threads for a long long time. Last night saw lots of insulting of opposing viewpoints, a mod being insulted because he doesn't play the game so apparently doesn't know the game, multiple mod warnings that went unheeded, and just some crazy calls to blow the team up and start playing the rookies because we were going to lose by 30.....that started mid way through the second quarter.

The game threads are no longer a fun place to be. While I understand the desire to not segregate the community, why should those that want to vent their frustrations, call for change, repeatedly extol doom and gloom be catered to by having their fun while ruining it for the people who don't want to see 4 out of every 5 posts declaring how bad our team, coach and situation is? Why should the people who want to be positive and have team spirit have to decide to have no place to enjoy the game or put up with the people who are constantly venting anger and consternation with the Boston Celtics? Its a buzzkill of epic proportions and infuriating to put up with.

Why can't there be two game threads? FL can simply take 2 extra minutes and copy and paste her original game thread into another game thread named something else. The original game thread can be named what it always has been and the new game thread the Spirit thread or something like that. As long as people don't troll back and forth commenting on what the other thread is saying or trying to start a flame war in the other thread, why can't both types of Celtic fans have an enjoyable place to watch the game and post in a thread at the same time?

Because, I gotta tell you, participating in that game thread last night was abysmal and about as much fun as a root canal without anesthetic. And I know I am not the only one that feels like this.

Re: Do you enjoy posting in the Game Threads anymore?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 02:09:43 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i dont go in them.  i would rather just watch the game. i text my family and friends during the game.

i dont find the game threads fun. not to mention, it stinks trying to post something, only to try and re-send it three more times because other people posted.

thats just me. im sure its fun for some

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 02:12:50 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I've been pretty much non-existent in the game threads the past season or so.  Glanced but haven't posted in the two games this season.  If a post is reported, I'll go in and take a look at it but that's pretty much the extent of my contact & moderation in those threads

To be perfectly blunt, those threads aren't entertaining anymore.  It used to be a fun place to go and talk about the games.  Now there are some posters in there that just make it a miserable atmosphere.

Its one thing to be critical of the team but when the untter negativity and poor attitudes found in those threads becomes pervasive, like it has, it just turns me off.  That's not an atmosphere I want to be part of.  

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 02:14:52 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
I'm with you, Nick. Without naming them, there are 3 evergreen negative posters who ruin the game thread for me. I try my best to ignore them...but sometimes its hard.

Would it be possible to develop 2 game threads:
1 for those who are excited to be watching the C's and who can accept a tough night without calling for a blow-up or declaring the season over.

The other thread can be for those who have already given up on the season and just like to state and restate their  negative predictions. You may be correct, but I am already tired of hearing it.

This idea was floated by PLamb/Nick...but was shot down. I'm with you though..2 GTs would be nice.

"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 02:15:12 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I've been pretty much non-existent in the game threads the past season or so.  Glanced but haven't posted in the two games this season.  If a post is reported, I'll go in and take a look at it but that's pretty much the extent of my contact & moderation in those threads

To be perfectly blunt, those threads aren't entertaining anymore.  It used to be a fun place to go and talk about the games.  Now there are some posters in there that just make it a miserable atmosphere.

Its one thing to be critical of the team but when the untter negativity and poor attitudes found in those threads becomes pervasive, like it has, it just turns me off.  That's not an atmosphere I want to be part of.  
Thank you Dons. Its good to know that at a mod sees things like I do. It is just a miserable place to be. I would just love to create a game thread where it can be like it used to be.

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 02:15:49 PM »

Offline outcry

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 133
i dont go in them.  i would rather just watch the game. i text my family and friends during the game.

i dont find the game threads fun. not to mention, it stinks trying to post something, only to try and re-send it three more times because other people posted.

thats just me. im sure its fun for some

You can turn that option off.
2011 PAPOUG CHAMPION

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 02:15:51 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides

Agreed 100%.
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 02:17:28 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
not to mention, it stinks trying to post something, only to try and re-send it three more times because other people posted.

This problem, at least, is correctable.

1.  Go to your Profile, under the menu in the upper right corner (where it says "Welcome dark_lord")

2.  Navigate to the green box that says "Modify Profile"

3.  Scroll down to "Look and Layout Preferences"

4.  Check the box that says "Don't warn on new replies made while posting"

5. Click the button that says "Change Profile", and enter your password if prompted.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 02:18:19 PM »

Offline Lord of Mikawa

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 66
  • Anti-Lakers&Anti-Heat
Being a newcomer, I enjoy the Game Threads. It will get better once we start winning.
Signed to a 6 year $0 contract with the Celtics Blog forum!

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 02:18:47 PM »

Offline GrandTheftRondo

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
It doesn't make sense to me. I don't think anyone goes into a game thread WANTING to be negative.

As the game progresses and things are going down the tubes and your team is down by 20, I think it's normal to be upset and express that.

How would one know what game thread to go into before the game even starts?? This is silly.

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 02:19:17 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

Thank you Dons. Its good to know that at a mod sees things like I do. It is just a miserable place to be. I would just love to create a game thread where it can be like it used to be.

I know the idea has been tossed around before but I will go on record to say that I'm against the idea of multiple game threads.  I don't like the idea of "dualing" game threads and don't like the idea of segregation.

Btw, this has absolutely ZERO to do with FLCeltsFan's work.  She does a heckuva job day in & day out putting these threads together.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, 02:20:35 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
not to mention, it stinks trying to post something, only to try and re-send it three more times because other people posted.

This problem, at least, is correctable.

1.  Go to your Profile, under the menu in the upper right corner (where it says "Welcome dark_lord")

2.  Navigate to the green box that says "Modify Profile"

3.  Scroll down to "Look and Layout Preferences"

4.  Check the box that says "Don't warn on new replies made while posting"

5. Click the button that says "Change Profile", and enter your password if prompted.

thx roy.  to be honest, it isnt an issue for me bc i dont go in the game threads.  nice to know i can change it if i want

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, 02:22:24 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Yeah. I like it. Posters that post crazy stuff makes me feel more normal.  What? What did I say?

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2011, 02:23:30 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
It doesn't make sense to me. I don't think anyone goes into a game thread WANTING to be negative.

As the game progresses and things are going down the tubes and your team is down by 20, I think it's normal to be upset and express that.

How would one know what game thread to go into before the game even starts?? This is silly.

This isn't a new thing.  Go look at some older threads, especially in close games the Celtics won.  You will see the same doom and gloom.

If I am online during the game, I tend to go to the chat instead.  Less negativity in general.  Still harsh on stupid mistakes and bad officials, but not as likely to see the "sky is falling" post after every missed basket.

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2011, 02:24:50 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
Now there are some posters in there that just make it a miserable atmosphere.

not to start trouble, but cant the mods tighten things up then? like i said, i avoid the game threads, but if specific members are ruining the atmosphere, shouldnt the mods step in to improve the atmosphere?

i dunno, im just asking the question.  it complicates things if no rules are broken, but if specific people ruin the atmosphere, maybe they shouldnt be allowed in the game threads (just like the "no politics")