Author Topic: If we trade Bass - which I hope we do - who plays back up PF  (Read 5401 times)

If we trade Bass - which I hope we do - who plays back up PF
« on: January 16, 2013, 10:54:03 AM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
I was just wondering - I really do hope that the C's decide to trade Bass. He is really the only real option to trade that still gives the C's players the flexibility to remain in their current roles. I would opt to move Sullinger to the Starting lineup, which I think would be a seamless fit with little disruption.
However, I am concerned when we talk about the backup PF spot with a legit backup of a Timofey Mogov or Marcin Gortat coming in. Would it be Wilcox??? I think may be better at PF than a backup C on the second unit.
Thoughts?

Re: If we trade Bass - which I hope we do - who plays back up PF
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 10:57:48 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I think if we trade Bass, it will be for a starting big man.  Which means that Sully would remain the primary backup big man, and Wilcox would slide in as the 4th big man. 

But, in the playoffs, you would only play 3 big men, unless there is foul trouble anyways. 

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 11:00:12 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I was just wondering - I really do hope that the C's decide to trade Bass. He is really the only real option to trade that still gives the C's players the flexibility to remain in their current roles. I would opt to move Sullinger to the Starting lineup, which I think would be a seamless fit with little disruption.
However, I am concerned when we talk about the backup PF spot with a legit backup of a Timofey Mogov or Marcin Gortat coming in. Would it be Wilcox??? I think may be better at PF than a backup C on the second unit.
Thoughts?
Apparently the perception that Bass is overpaid and useless trumps any actual roster consideration.

That, or people expect you can trade Bass for someone that's as good as him, AND a backup C.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 11:05:22 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
I think if we trade Bass, it will be for a starting big man.  Which means that Sully would remain the primary backup big man, and Wilcox would slide in as the 4th big man. 

But, in the playoffs, you would only play 3 big men, unless there is foul trouble anyways.
So you want to trade a starting big man for a starting big man (who should hopefully be a better one). Take a moment to step back and assess how ridiculous the notion that this may happen is.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 11:08:28 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Sully.

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 11:11:32 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

So you want to trade a starting big man for a starting big man (who should hopefully be a better one). Take a moment to step back and assess how ridiculous the notion that this may happen is.

You trade him to get someone who's a better fit, particularly with Sully. Don't see a problem with the logic.

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 11:14:57 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
What better fit, isn't just a better player than Bass though?

Plus fitting with Sullinger isn't the issue, the issue is replacing KG's ability to anchor the defense when he's off the court.

How many guys can do that are available for Bass?

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 11:15:17 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Yeah. If we got Gortat or Lopez they would be starting in my eyes. Sully will be our back up 4 for the remainder of the year.

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 11:19:22 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

You trade him to get someone who's a better fit, particularly with Sully. Don't see a problem with the logic.
Bass is an excellent fit with Garnett. He's a patently bad fit with Sullinger because neither blocks shots, and because both are 6'9 or shorter.

I'd be extremely surprised if someone who fits better with Sullinger, just as well with Garnett, and is starting caliber is available in trade.

And that's before we include any long-term roster considerations.

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 11:20:34 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Bass is an excellent fit with Garnett. He's a patently bad fit with Sullinger because neither blocks shots, and because both are 6'9 or shorter.

I'd be extremely surprised if someone who fits better with Sullinger, just as well with Garnett, and is starting caliber is available in trade.

I hear the Lakers are looking for a bag of beans for Gasol.  ;)

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 11:25:46 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

Garnett is an excellent fit for just about anyone in the league. I've never been a fan of Bass with our starters regardless. Hurts us as often as he helps us I'd say.

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 11:30:21 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Plus fitting with Sullinger isn't the issue, the issue is replacing KG's ability to anchor the defense when he's off the court.

Who says Bass would be traded straight-up to accomplish this? I agree that Bass is the most likely to go, but I think a 1-for-1 deal is not the likelihood.

Looking at these things in a vacuum rarely makes much sense.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 11:35:36 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Who says Bass would be traded straight-up to accomplish this? I agree that Bass is the most likely to go, but I think a 1-for-1 deal is not the likelihood.

Bass + pick? Bass + Fab Melo? Bass + Terry?

Upgrading Bass would be great, he's our weakest starter, I just think its difficult to do.

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 11:39:28 AM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54

The only wrong part about this post is the part that mentions Bass as a starting big man. He isn't. That was just out of desperation that Bass is a starter. He is at most on par with Big Baby, who wasn't starting, either.

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 11:41:40 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

So packaging Bass with Lee/Terry/Green then? What are you going to get to match salaries (that would be $12 million total at least). I don't expect anyone would be duped into giving us anything for Melo's "great upside potential" at this point.

People just have to come to terms with the fact that Bass is one of those players who is, in relative terms, considerably more valuable to our team than to any potential trading partner (skill, positional need, salary and cap situation considered), which makes him very hard to trade without getting fleeced.