Author Topic: Celtics 2020 Draft picks  (Read 56379 times)

Re: Celtics 2020 Draft picks
« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2020, 12:46:47 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Ugh! Let's not compare '16 draft and '17 draft to the '20 draft and '21 draft. Next year will be one of the best in a while. This year is not grand (some "good" prospects but nothing special) after the top 3 or so. I've been banging the drum for next year's draft all year and I will until next year. Too bad we are highly unlikely to pick in the top 12. That is how deep ("at least" 8 deep) it will be.

Also, the HS seniors are eligible for the '22 "double" draft.

How do you know the '21 draft is going to be so great?

The record of draft "experts" isn't so great even in the year a draft takes place - forget projections about the year after that.  They're scouting 16- and 17-year old kids who haven't played a minute even in college ball. I remember people telling me two years ago that Nassir Little was a special prospect; many boards had him top 5. By draft night, after a year in college, he'd slipped down to the end of the first round. Happens all the time. Don't believe the hype.

« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2020, 01:20:57 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Still say we focus on drafting one of those big foreign PGs, let him play another season.

« Reply #77 on: February 28, 2020, 09:28:59 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Ugh! Let's not compare '16 draft and '17 draft to the '20 draft and '21 draft. Next year will be one of the best in a while. This year is not grand (some "good" prospects but nothing special) after the top 3 or so. I've been banging the drum for next year's draft all year and I will until next year. Too bad we are highly unlikely to pick in the top 12. That is how deep ("at least" 8 deep) it will be.

Also, the HS seniors are eligible for the '22 "double" draft.

How do you know the '21 draft is going to be so great?

The record of draft "experts" isn't so great even in the year a draft takes place - forget projections about the year after that.  They're scouting 16- and 17-year old kids who haven't played a minute even in college ball. I remember people telling me two years ago that Nassir Little was a special prospect; many boards had him top 5. By draft night, after a year in college, he'd slipped down to the end of the first round. Happens all the time. Don't believe the hype.
I've been paying attention since last year. Even if only half of the top players pan out the '21 draft will still be better than '20. This draft is looking pretty poor and no one can really deny it.
As for Nassir Little: he had a great all-star game that catapulted him into the top 5 "pre-season". His poor play and lack of playing time during the season pushed him back to the middle of the pack. Same thing with Skal two years before. These things happen every year. But there are sooooooo many talented players next that it's really just a wait and see scenario. We will all be longing for a lottery pick this time next year. Feel free to quote me.

« Reply #78 on: February 28, 2020, 06:16:39 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
upcoming week of games with implications for the Memphis Pick:

Memphis: Sac, Lakers, @ Atl, @Brooklyn
NO: Cle, Lakers, Minny, @Dal
Portland: @Indy, @ Atl, @ Orl, Wash
SA: Orl, Indy, @Cha
Sac: @OKC, @Mem, Det, Wash

absolute best case, Memphis loses all 4 games, NO, Portland, Sac win their 4 and SA wins their 3 but we know that's not happening.

Most reasonable results:
Mem: 1-3 with a win over Sac.  could go 2-2 depending on how Atl plays.
NO: 2-2 with losses to Lakers and Dallas but considering how they've improved, 4-0 or 3-1 wouldn't shock me.
Portland: 1-3 with the only bankable win against Wash.  Portland's a hot mess but who know, they could go 4-0 or 3-1.  Only real tough team is Indy. 
SA: 3-0.   anything less is a real disappointment. 
Sac: 2-2.  figure they lose on the road and win at home.

All but Portland figure to gain some ground on Memphis this coming week based on reasonable outcomes but that's why they play the games.
Port and Sac already 0-1 each. 

« Reply #79 on: February 28, 2020, 11:26:47 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
Sacramento beat Memphis in Memphis this evening.

« Reply #80 on: February 29, 2020, 01:08:38 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

absolute best case, Memphis loses all 4 games, NO, Portland, Sac win their 4 and SA wins their 3 but we know that's not happening.

Most reasonable results:
NO: 2-2 with losses to Lakers and Dallas but considering how they've improved, 4-0 or 3-1 wouldn't shock me.
Portland: 1-3 with the only bankable win against Wash.  Portland's a hot mess but who know, they could go 4-0 or 3-1.  Only real tough team is Indy. 

All but Portland figure to gain some ground on Memphis this coming week based on reasonable outcomes but that's why they play the games.
Kings beat Mem which is HUGE.  NO also wins. 

Mem only up 2 on NO, 2.5 on Port and 3 up on Sac and SA.  only a game up on Orlando and 1.5 on  the Nets regarding playoff teams too should no one in the West catch them.

« Reply #81 on: March 01, 2020, 07:37:02 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Most reasonable results:

Mem only up 2 on NO, 2.5 on Port and 3 up on Sac and SA.  only a game up on Orlando and 1.5 on  the Nets regarding playoff teams too should no one in the West catch them.
well, the good win by Sac undone by those Laker losers.  Mem gets an unexpected win.  Portland loses but SA wins.

hope LA stinks just as much as when they play NO today

« Reply #82 on: March 02, 2020, 08:57:29 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Most reasonable results:

well, the good win by Sac undone by those Laker losers.  Mem gets an unexpected win.  Portland loses but SA wins.

sure, Lakers mail it in for Memphis but show up for NO game.  too early to start the conspiracy talk they're trying to make sure they can avoid NO in the first round?

anyway, Sac wins, NO loses.  3 teams all 3 games behind Mem for that last spot and 1 3.5 games back.  22 games left.  it's going to be a heckuva close out to the season

« Reply #83 on: March 02, 2020, 09:27:17 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Don’t think it really matters what picks they get..may be the weakest draft class I can remember..plus Danny get 3 more 6-6 and under guys
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #84 on: March 02, 2020, 10:38:51 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Don’t think it really matters what picks they get..may be the weakest draft class I can remember..plus Danny get 3 more 6-6 and under guys
It may only matter if the picks are up for trade offers. We could use an extra 2021 pick, even if it's mid-first.

« Reply #85 on: March 03, 2020, 09:44:09 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Most reasonable results:

sure, Lakers mail it in for Memphis but show up for NO game.  too early to start the conspiracy talk they're trying to make sure they can avoid NO in the first round?

anyway, Sac wins, NO loses.  3 teams all 3 games behind Mem for that last spot and 1 3.5 games back.  22 games left.  it's going to be a heckuva close out to the season
last night's results have a Portland win for the positive and a SA loss and Memphis win for the negatives. 

hoping for a good night tonight with very winnable games for SA, Sac and NO (and Boston)

« Reply #86 on: March 05, 2020, 09:13:39 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Standings as of 3/5/20 -  will try to update weekly

Memphis pick #17—  (last playoff spot in the West) (protected top 6 )
                   Games Behind    Current Wins   Games Left   Last 10
New Orleans            5                     26                   20              5-5
San Antonio             4                     26                   22              4-6
Orlando                   4                     27                   20              5-5
Sacramento             3.5                   27                   21              7-3
Brooklyn                 3.5                   27                   21               4-6
Portland                  3.5                   28                   19               4-6
Memphis               ---                    31                   20               5-5

—>  Memphis is managing to keep their distance from the pack chasing them which is really bugging me.    Only Sac is gaining ground on them lately.  Thought for sure NO would be closing in but with only a quarter of the season left, we’re going to need a full collapse from Memphis to improve this pick.

Boston Pick #26 (tie with Clippers)
                   Games Behind    Current Wins     Games Left    Last 10
Denver                   1                     41                      21               6-4
Boston                 ---                    42                      21               6-4
LA Clippers            ---                    42                      21               6-4
Toronto                 +1                    43                      21               6-4

-->C's had a disappointing week in terms of seeding by only adding one win and struggling to do that against the Nets.  As for the pick, Clips have caught up to them for a tie.  This seems to be the pack of 4 teams that’ll be jockeying for playoff seeding, playoff HCA and draft position.

Bucks Pick #30   -- (protected  top 7) 
                        Games Behind    Current Wins     Games Left    Last 10
Milwaukee                  —                      53                     20                8-2

-->  no change.  I’m just going to post the Bucks for this pick until someone gets within hailing distance of them. 

Second Rounders:
Boston 56 (protected 31-53)  — C’s losing the pick

Brooklyn 44 (least favorable of Brooklyn/Knicks — currently Brooklyn)  — tied with Sac

« Reply #87 on: March 05, 2020, 09:53:38 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I guess our hopes Memphis would slide down out of playoff contention are pretty futile, based on how they have resurrected themselves.  While disappointing from a draft stock POV, I must say I am impressed by the will of that young team to grind out wins.  They blew out the Nets the night after they beat us.  Sure, back to back, blah blah blah. 

Credit is due to that team, and that coach.  All I hear is Nick Nurse for coach of the year. My vote would go to the Grizzlies coach, and I don't even know his name!

« Reply #88 on: March 06, 2020, 01:38:05 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
#17 is disappointing, but it'll still be fun to follow draft season with a mid-1st.

The C's moved up from #16 to #13 in 2013 (Olynyk) and 2003 (Banks). #16 + 2 2014 2nds to move up in 2013, #16 + #20 for #13 and #27 in 2003. Maybe it'll happen again.

Fun fact, looks like the 2 2014 2nds turned into #47 Russ Smith and #34 Cleanthony Early.

« Reply #89 on: March 06, 2020, 02:54:11 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
#17 is disappointing, but it'll still be fun to follow draft season with a mid-1st.

The C's moved up from #16 to #13 in 2013 (Olynyk) and 2003 (Banks). #16 + 2 2014 2nds to move up in 2013, #16 + #20 for #13 and #27 in 2003. Maybe it'll happen again.

Fun fact, looks like the 2 2014 2nds turned into #47 Russ Smith and #34 Cleanthony Early.

#17 is disappointing but I also think this draft has very little difference from pick 3-15. At #17 I think a player could fall to the Cs who is a nice long term fit. Like you mentioned moving up is a possibility and probably a better option then trying to find a draft and stash. The draft and stash route has not been the Cs strong suit. At #17 I could see the Cs using Semi and the memphis pick to move up and target a player in the 10-13 range.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet