Author Topic: Is it just me, or is the quality of conversation around here at an all-time low?  (Read 37207 times)

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I stopped consistently coming here a while ago, because of it.  Should we wrap this up and call it a day? 

2005-2019.  We had a good run, ya'll.

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Maybe the answer is to have a serious section with a reputation score.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
It's been a long tough year for everyone and we didn't get to watch a lot of good basketball.

It'll be better. These things ebb and flow as I know you've seen many times over Roy.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I stopped consistently coming here a while ago, because of it.  Should we wrap this up and call it a day? 

Now you stop that
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I agree Roy and I applaud to your initiative in raising awareness about the quality of posts we create.

I am no different from others, sometimes I take time and intellect to write a good post.
On other occasions, I have knee-jerk reaction and write something worthless, I act emotionally, or I am too hasty to post.

I also agree with @PhoSita that our team didn't exactly help us this year from flipping out and writing all kinds of stuff.

I think all of us should have one internal filter, that comes into place just before we press that post button and ask ourselves -
What is the purpose and value of this post that I am about to let go?

Lets make it work Strong Celtics!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 08:43:03 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Now you stop that
We'll always have 2008, boys.  https://youtu.be/-w6m-nhUcos

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Now you stop that
We'll always have 2008, boys.  https://youtu.be/-w6m-nhUcos

I'll do you one better -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oica5jG7FpU

In the event that Kyrie leaves.

Please STAY, Little Mountain.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
It will heat up come draft and if we make a trade.

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I was in the middle of writing a long thought out reply but then an Ad killed it. I had to scroll to remove Ad but my phone refreshes when scrolling all the way down or up...

Anyways I have few points
1. This happens every off season and at deadline.
2. We have all had bad post /replys.
3. Younger or new posters should be welcomed or we will die as a site. We almost perished once, it took money out our pockets and some great people to keep this going.
4. Many of our takes are opinions to start with. Often you can not just convince people with stats/numbers it's how things are. Disagreements are normal.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 07:12:17 AM by Csfan1984 »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I was thinking the exact same thing yesterday.  The duplicate threads, overreactions, unrealistic trades etc., should be expected to some extent.  I suppose the most frustrating thing for me is that I've grown tired of the Kyrie and AD discussion.  It's obviously my problem, but I see nowhere for the conversation to go until we reach draft night and/or free agency. 

I'm more interested in discussing alternatives, such as point guard options.  At the end of the day the situation is what it is.  I'll continue to navigate towards the stuff I'm interested in talking about.

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
You whippersnappers think you have it so bad!  In my day, in Virginia, we had to walk to the local Book n Card, uphill both ways mind you, to find any information about the Celtics!  My search every week for anything in green led to an unhealthy obsession with Green Lantern, Green Arrow, and Green Eggs and Ham!

Now get off my lawn and go back to being brilliant...or I'll sic my dog Cornbread on ya!

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I was in the middle of writing a long thought out reply but then an Ad killed it. I had to scroll to remove Ad but my phone refreshes when scrolling all the way down or up...

Anyways I have few points
1. This happens every off season and at deadline.
2. We have all had bad post /replys.
3. Younger or new posters should be welcomed or we will die as a site. We almost perished once, it took money out our pockets and some great people to keep this going.
4. Many of our takes are opinions to start with. Often you can not just convince people with stats/numbers it's how things are. Disagreements are normal.

These are all very good points - tp

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Blow it up. Trade everyone for draft picks.

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
100%

It's especially annoying because I feel like half the time when I try and have a discussion with someone here they literally don't read anything I've written in reply, and just retort with the same thing that I'd addressed in my own post.

Exactly. It's like a written version of sports radio where people just yell their opinions at each other without taking in what the other is saying.

I've been a member here for awhile, but this year is the 1st time I've seriously considered taking a break.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Blow it up. Trade everyone for draft picks.

The SoSH boards are the only other forums I've seen that have a comparable feel to Celticsblog at its best. They seem to have a strong culture of self-policing that I am not sure we want on these forums.

I feel like the only real solutions are:
1. Ignore button
2. Lead by example and hope posters see the quality of post(s) most desire.
3. Find a way to call-out bad posts in a non-confrontational way.

Or we can tank, I guess. 14% chance it works.