Author Topic: Force Awakens. (Possible spoilers)  (Read 47001 times)

Re: Force Awakens. (Possible spoilers)
« Reply #75 on: December 21, 2015, 01:58:17 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I must say, while I didn't imagine that a seventh installment in a series could be completely original, I didn't in my wildest dreams imagine that they'd simply punt and go for an Epizode IV remake. Wow.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #76 on: December 21, 2015, 02:05:39 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
If Ford really wanted out, they could've simply had him die off screen at some point or have him far way.  Just to send him out that way seemed unnecessary given the history of the character.   Was it necessary for the character development of Kylo Ren? Maybe but I'm inclined to say no.

So it wasn't so much Han dying as dying the way he did?  I think it was more meaningful that he was trying to redeem his son than some other kind of death, especially off-camera.  Though maybe some kind of swashbuckling suicide run with some smartass remarks thrown in would've been fun too.  But I liked that the central theme of the movie involved Han and his son, and I don't think any other resolution would've been satisfying.  I think the in media res framework hurt a little because there's no real background on their relationship to draw on, though.

As for whether it's necessary for Ren's character, it's hard to think of anything that could be considered "necessary" in that way, for just about any character.  But he certainly seemed to think it was necessary to commit fully to the Dark Side and stop being "seduced by the Light", which was a really interesting and telling description.  Curious to see if he comes back with some fun new cybernetics after the beating he took in the last 20 minutes.

« Reply #77 on: December 21, 2015, 02:06:11 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I mean, guys, let's be real -- the original Star Wars was a pretty by-the-numbers Hero's Journey story.

So to suggest they copied Episode 4 for Episode 7 kind of overlooks the fact that all along they've been working with a pretty straightforward story structure.  A very old and effective one, to boot.

Oh c'mon, we're not talking about a general hero path/story, we're talking about a nearly identical step-by-step story with identical characters in identical environments.

Yeah, I'd have to agree with Spilling here.  That was way beyond a general hero path/story.

Not that it was necessarily a bad thing although, at times in VII, I thought it was.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #78 on: December 21, 2015, 02:09:42 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
If Ford really wanted out, they could've simply had him die off screen at some point or have him far way.  Just to send him out that way seemed unnecessary given the history of the character.   Was it necessary for the character development of Kylo Ren? Maybe but I'm inclined to say no.

So it wasn't so much Han dying as dying the way he did?  I think it was more meaningful that he was trying to redeem his son than some other kind of death, especially off-camera.  Though maybe some kind of swashbuckling suicide run with some smartass remarks thrown in would've been fun too.  But I liked that the central theme of the movie involved Han and his son, and I don't think any other resolution would've been satisfying.

As for whether it's necessary for Ren's character, it's hard to think of anything that could be considered "necessary" in that way, for just about any character.  But he certainly seemed to think it was necessary to commit fully to the Dark Side and stop being "seduced by the Light", which was a really interesting and telling description.  Curious to see if he comes back with some fun new cybernetics after the beating he took in the last 20 minutes.

To me, Han Solo isn't just one of the most beloved Star Wars characters ever, he's also one of the most beloved movie characters ever. 

It's certainly emotional for my take on it but I just would've rather seen him getting phased out than getting skewered on a catwalk by his son. 

I'm probably not being totally rational here but it was Han effin' Solo!  C'mon man!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 02:42:00 PM by Donoghus »

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #79 on: December 21, 2015, 02:49:15 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I mean, guys, let's be real -- the original Star Wars was a pretty by-the-numbers Hero's Journey story.

So to suggest they copied Episode 4 for Episode 7 kind of overlooks the fact that all along they've been working with a pretty straightforward story structure.  A very old and effective one, to boot.

Oh c'mon, we're not talking about a general hero path/story, we're talking about a nearly identical step-by-step story with identical characters in identical environments.

Yeah, I'd have to agree with Spilling here.  That was way beyond a general hero path/story.

Not that it was necessarily a bad thing although, at times in VII, I thought it was.

It definitely seems like they made some pointed decisions mostly for the sake of nostalgia.  Why is Rey stranded on a desert planet that ISN'T EVEN TATTOINE?  I guess in space there are probably a lot of desert and ice planets, so in that sense it's reasonable.

Still, this is essentially fantasy.  You couldn't put her in a different biome?  There are more options than Desert, Jungle, Snow.

My point is just that the original story wasn't especially complex or whatever.  On some level, this movie would have been very reminiscent of Episode 4 even if they weren't trying to parallel that installment for nostalgia's sake.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #80 on: December 21, 2015, 10:14:51 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

« Reply #81 on: December 21, 2015, 11:01:43 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I won't touch this Asperger's nonsense...

Anyways, saw the movie last night.  A few of my takeaways:

1)  Hate, hate, hate the fact they killed Han. 

meh.  He'd still had his fastball until he went to do Leah's beckoning.  Shoulda stuck with being a dead beat loner.

2)  It is a mirror of A New Hope but that doesn't necessarily make it a bad thing & certainly is better than Episodes I-III which Lucas botched.  Although, there were definitely some parts I was thinking New Hope ripoff & wasn't thrilled with it. the sentimental faux remake is all the rage

3) The more I think about it, how the heck is Rey so advanced with the Force already?  Heck, it even took Luke longer to get a grip on it.  I just don't understand how she could be able to grasp it so quickly without any sort of training. she's the bomb, that's why

4)  Thought Chewie was excellent.Oscar worthy.  He was awesome.

5)  They can go in about a dozen directions with Kylo Ren.  Really looking forward to how they progress his character. big baby

I don't think its as good as any of IV-VI but I think they've been able to resurrect the heartbeat of the franchise.   

Still hate what they did to Han, though.if they had any sense of deadpan they would have had sonny boy leap in the air just in time to avoid a giant rolling ball that crushes Solo like a grape.
Yup

« Reply #82 on: December 21, 2015, 11:19:33 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Saw it yesterday

Wife loved it .

I'm not a huge Star Wars fan tho .

« Reply #83 on: December 21, 2015, 11:26:30 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
#2 - No sense of humor - The prequels seemed like they were written by someone with autism or something.  No sense of humor at all.  In the original, they were able to improvise slightly.  Han had swagger.  It was light hearted and fun.

I don't have a problem with ideas of yours that others perceive to be obnoxious at times and it's perfectly fine if you don't like a movie, but to be so inconceivably insulting and offensive towards people with autism is not only unacceptable, but is also, as a move, lower than Sam Hinkie's win total, I'm sorry.
Maybe you find it offensive if you don't know much about the autism spectrum (or are familiar with other famous celebrities, artists, directors who are autistic).  I have spent a lot of time with folks with high functioning autism.  Some of them are very smart, but have difficulty comprehending certain emotions... and humor is often a difficult thing for them to grasp.  An autistic girl I worked with simply didn't understand jokes unless they were puns. She loved puns.  I also know someone who knows George Lucas personally and he insists he shows all the signs of high functioning autism.  There's been a lot of speculation in the autism community for a while that Lucas has Asperger’s Syndrome based on elements of his personality and how his writing lacks emotion (fwiw, Helena Bonham Carter claimed that Tim Burton also had all the signs of asperger's).  Sorry if the comment comes across flippant or if my use of the word "autism" was a trigger (I think some people confuse autism with down's syndrome), but I was more commenting on  the way those prequels were written, what the focus of the movies was on, how stunted/flat the dialogue was... and generally how the characters interacted with each other.  They seemed to lack a basic understanding of how real people interact with each other.  The reviewer in the video I linked says it felt like it was written by an 8 year old.  Maybe instead I should have said the prequels seem like they were written by someone with social problems... and I've heard from someone who knows him directly that George Lucas has social problems... and have seen many interviews in which people described him as an anti-social introvert with an obsessive personality.  He apparently had never been easy to get along with on sets... and I suspect that if Harrison Ford had not been clashing with Lucas and making up his own lines in the original movie, it probably wouldn't have worked as well. 

Anyways...  a lot of the best parts of the original trilogy didn't actually come from Lucas.   Lots of improvisation, both Empire and Jedi (and Episode 7) were written by Lawrence Kasden.  There were elements that were added in spite of him.  Lucas also wasn't the director on either "Empire Strikes Back" or "Return of the Jedi".   There was a lot more collaboration in the original trilogy.   With the prequels, Lucas took over the entire thing (all writing and directing responsibilities) and ultimately failed.  I think Lucas strength is world-building and ideas... I'm not sure he was ever a great director.  He should consult, create plot elements, give input on the world... and then step back and let people with a sense of humor and understanding of storytelling principles write the screenplay and direct the film.

No, I know far too much about mental health problems and disabilities, thank you very much.  I find it offensive and insulting because it is so, despite your 'well I have black friends so I can't be racist' kind of argument as it pertains to people with such disabilities.  I just can't believe that you're actually trying to defend what you said.  Wow.  Has D.O.S. taken over your account, lol, because he's great at offending any number of people at any time on here which has been well documented, unfortunately.

I never got the sense that you were that type of guy, though, and perhaps this is all just a big misunderstanding over a poor choice of words, but here's how it sounded to me, "No sense of humor - The prequels seemed like they were written by some retard/someone with autism down syndrome or something.  No sense of humor at all."  It may not have been your intent, but that's how it came across to me.  It wasn't like there was any attempt at humor by you there, either, from where I sit, not even like target's ocd stands for obsessive christmas disorder shirts, which, while at least being somewhat cute and funny, are still in poor taste, imo, even if that is not the intent of the company or the people who bought the product.  Sorry, your choice of words just really bothered me.

As far as the movie, I do like Star Wars, but I'm not a fanatic about the films, so you'll have to fill me in on why so many people hated the prequels.  I was a kid at the time when they came out, and, not being an avid Star wars fan, thought that it was at least cool to see more films come out, even though the ensuing years have showed that Hollywood is clearly out of ideas and is intent on turning every goo-to-great movie into a Land Before Time Format, lol.  They just don't know to quit when they're ahead.  From the ads from this movie, all I saw was Star Wars 7 - We're All Old Now :laugh:. That doesn't mean that I might not still want to see it at some point, but yeah, from what Eja/Mace Windu :laugh: has said, it sounds like this film is to Star Wars what The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was to the Indiana Jones series, which I love, as in they waited far too long.  Idk who the directors are that you've mentioned, although I know Lucas, obviously, and J.J. Abrams does sound familiar, lol, but I don't remember any of his films right now.  Feel free to expand or not on this, because I'm not even a novice in this department.  I'm sorry for coming down so hard on you, btw, it's just that that really irked me, intentional or not.
It's not impossible for folks with aspergers to have a sense of humor.  Like I said, my co-worker with high functioning autism really enjoys Puns.  Clearly George Lucas thought Jar Jar Binx was hilarious.  But folks with aspergers often struggle with humor.

Hans Asperger, in 1944, theorised that people with Asperger’s Syndrome do not have the propensity for humour, and that attempts at humour would turn out, at best, awkward, and at worst, hostile. In recent years, this musing has been proved to be only true in minority. While people with Autism and Asperger’s Syndrome can have difficulties with the subtleties of humour, this does not mean to say that having an ASD and having a sense of humour cannot mesh.

The key thing in your response was: 
Here's how it sounded to me, "No sense of humor - The prequels seemed like they were written by some retard/someone with autism down syndrome or something. "

This confirms what I believed... you don't know the difference between autism and down syndrome.  If that's how my comment sounded to you, I don't blame you for being offended... but if that's how it sounded to you, it's clearly a topic you aren't familiar with.

It's not the same thing...

Down Syndrome:

(Lauren Potter of "Glee" fame)

(Chris Burke of "Life Goes On" fame)

(Edward Barbanell from "Workaholics")

Aspergers:

(Daryl Hannah from "Splash")

(Craig Nichollis of the rock band "the Vines")

(James Taylor - 5-time Grammy Award Winner)

... As well as a host of other folks who have either been partially diagnosed, have pubically stated they exhibit signs, or have had experts speculate that they likely had Aspergers... including:  David Byrne, Marilyn Monroe, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Andy Warhol, Al Gore, Tim Burton, Michael Jackson, Bob Dylan, Albert Einstein, Crispin Glover, Bobby Fischer, Sheldon Cooper, Abed Nadir, Sherlock Holmes, GEORGE LUCAS, and many others.

But yeah, maybe I should have said "the prequels seem like they were written by a socially awkward introvert with no sense of humor and tendency to obsess/fixate over unimportant details"... which if you know anything about George Lucas or have watched a single documentary on the making of Star Wars, would have been pretty difficult to dispute.  Sorry about my choice of words.  I do regret making that comment... mostly because I had to spend time explaining them... but also because you think less of me now... The last thing I want is for Beat LA to think I'm a retard-hating racist.  But if we're being straight with one another... I'd guess Lucas is on the autism spectrum and I believe it reflects in his writing (And by the way just to reiterate... this isn't some crazy rambling Drunk uncle thing I made up on my own... I've been hearing these things about Lucas for years, there's speculation all over the internet if you want to Google it, I've heard it from someone who has spent time with him first hand, and it's even referenced by those in the autism community itself)   Lucas seems like a very intelligent guy, wonderful at world building, great at creating stories and obsessing over tiny details...  He's the architect of the Star Wars world and deserves praise for it... but he seemingly struggled with writing believable dialogue or multi-dimensional relatable characters.  He was a good Producer.  He should have let others write and direct the prequels based on his own concepts. 

Anyways, before the Star Wars convo was railroaded by PC Principal, the point I was attempting to make was that there was a significant amount of backlash to the prequels... and I think "Episode 7" was a direct response to that.  What was lacking from the prequels was on full display in the new movie... and you can blame the botched prequels on poor writing, poor storytelling and poor directing.   It's clear that the new movies have a focus on character, a focus on humor, a simplified story, wonderful action sequences and "moments of delight" that brought back the Magic of the original trilogy.  What's funny to me is that the main criticism the movie is getting (though from a minority of fans) which is on full display in this thread is that the story was too simplified and too similar to the original.  I guess they couldn't please everyone, but in my opinion... they totally nailed it.

I'm well aware of the difference between asberger's and down syndrome.  The only reason I used the latter, as well as 'retard', in place of the former was to illustrate how it came across to me in terms I couldn't think of any that sounded so insulting, so that's why I used it as an example, not because I can't distinguish between the two disabilities, if that makes any sense.  In my experience, when someone thinks of a person who is mentally-handicapped, retarded, and/or is a member of special education, they seem to solely associate it with people with Down Syndrome bc the disorder is physically and readily discernible and therefore easier to identify, whereas people with asperger's, autism, and other mental impairments, for the most part, look like the average joe, so no one would think that they had any difficulties, that's all I meant. 

And listen, if you truly didn't mean it, which now seems to be the case, don't worry about it - I won't think any less of you or that you're someone who hates people who happen to be retarded.  The racism thing was just an example of the parallel argument that you seemed to be making, btw, bc I never said, nor do I have any reason to believe, that you are a racist.  I'm also assuming that you were being sarcastic when you said that the last thing you would want is for me to think that you're a retard-hating racist, simply for the reason that I'm neither the least bit important in any phase of life, nor am I even interesting by any measure, lol.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you do care about what I said, you really shouldn't, because I don't matter, lol, but let's just focus on the movies now, haha.

Btw, what specifically was wrong with the story line of any of the prequels?  Did they just seem completely removed from the original and being far from plausible or something?  All I remember is that Jar Jar Binks was more funny, imo, than annoying, and that Obi Wan was a total Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. in each of the prequels, or at least that's how he came off to me.  He was far too strict and lacked the people skills necessary to be Anakin's Master as opposed to the wiser and far more patient Qui-Gon Jinn, but that was probably because of a lack of experience.  Or maybe not.  Perhaps Obi Wan had a touch of asperger's or at least a problem with making friends, lol ;D.   

« Reply #84 on: December 21, 2015, 11:35:26 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

It definitely seems like they made some pointed decisions mostly for the sake of nostalgia.  Why is Rey stranded on a desert planet that ISN'T EVEN TATTOINE?  I guess in space there are probably a lot of desert and ice planets, so in that sense it's reasonable.

Still, this is essentially fantasy.  You couldn't put her in a different biome?  There are more options than Desert, Jungle, Snow.

My point is just that the original story wasn't especially complex or whatever.  On some level, this movie would have been very reminiscent of Episode 4 even if they weren't trying to parallel that installment for nostalgia's sake.

Whatever else you want to say about them, Lucas was trying to do different things with the prequels.  Both structurally and thematically, it was some new ground for the franchise.

I don't blame them for giving us a mix tape of Star Wars greatest hits.  It's probably what they had to do.  Hopefully the tremendous response will give them the courage to be a little more original next time.

Mike

« Reply #85 on: December 21, 2015, 11:45:25 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Beat-LA, many suspect that C3PO also has aspergers... he displays many attributes.  True story.

No offense, but this aspect of the conversation is sort of lame.  I get you were offended... I'd rather just talk about Star Wars.  Since you explained to me "how it sounded" from your perspective... here's how it sounds from mine:  It's akin to me saying, "Hmm, I've long heard that Joaquin Phoenix is a vegan and I suspect that's why the movie he wrote has people exclusively eating vegetables in every scene" and you reacting, "That's racist!! You might as well be calling Joaquim Phoenix a dirty jew!"...

My main point was that the prequels had empty characters with no characteristics, stunted dialogue, an over-focus on Politics, and no sense of humor at all.   It was stiff models speaking about trade disputes.  Others have commented that the prequels felt like they were written by an 8 year old.   I took it a step further and commented on why I think George Lucas struggled writing them.  Main point is... I think the new movie had far better writing.  I could actually describe who these characters were, what their motivations were, how they were unique, etc.  I already care about these characters.  It was hard to care about anyone in the prequels, because they were such lifeless characters with no character traits.  Beyond Padme being cute... what's her purpose, exactly?  Who is she as a person?  What makes her tick?  What's her motivations?  What does she want out of this world?  Describe her for me without commenting on her makeup (please don't actually describe her... I don't care... I'm just illustrating a point).  These were problems in the prequels.  It lacked basic storytelling and character development.  The new movie addressed that.  The new movie was also helped by considerably better acting... though bad acting often comes from bad writing and bad directing... and George Lucas isn't a good writer or director.

Back on topic (HEAVY SPOILERS).. Just to comment on people complaining about Rey's power-levels... the consensus theory seems to be that she was a youngling training to be a jedi when she had her memory wiped and was dropped on Jakku (clearly out of safety since the Knights of Ren were in the process of murdering all the remaining Jedi).   Most popular theory is that she's Luke's daughter... super likely, imo based on a number of hints.   I take it a step further... I think Kylo Ren was the one who spared her (and clips during the flashback/vision scene seem to show exactly that) and was likely the one who dropped her off on Jakku, because he couldn't bring himself to murder his young cousin.  He knows who she is.  He's holding back when fighting her.  These aren't "excuses" about "plot holes".... If some of you are unfamiliar with "Star Wars", the first movie left MANY questions that were later revealed in the story.  It's what these movies do.  In-fact, when the original movie came out there was a pretty prevalent theory that LUke's father was R2D2.   The mystery is part of it.   Hold off on judging Rey standing toe-to-toe with Kylo Ren until you know about Rey's backstory.   Right now, nothing is confirmed.  We do know that she was abandoned... we do know that she's wearing a costume suspiciously similar to a padawan during her flashback... we do know that's she's familiar with Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, the Millenium Falcon, and Jedi concepts such as mind tricks...  All this points to her having received training at some point in her youth... and having repressed memories.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 12:07:23 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #86 on: December 21, 2015, 11:49:39 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
BeatLA, you try to be the most transparent person possible on the internet. I think that's not as fun as leaving ambiguity, but TP for your valiant cause. (I won't comment about the whole exchange that just took place.)

LarBrd, we share a love for movies (and it seems like we have similar taste)! TP to you as well. Thank you for the bolded spoiler warnings. I hope to see the new Star Wars this Xmas week with the family, and I'll hopefully be able to contribute to (and read more than half) of this thread then.

EDIT: I will admit to being a prequel fan, but I only liked Revenge of the Sith by itself. Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones were just too slow-moving for me. Revenge of the Sith was a visual delight to watch, and when I look back on the entire prequel trilogy, I get a lot more from overarching personal reflection than the individually-tailored movie breakdowns.

« Reply #87 on: December 21, 2015, 11:56:08 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Beat-LA, many suspect that C3PO also has aspergers... he displays many attributes.  True story.

No offense, but this aspect of the conversation is sort of lame.  I get you were offended... I'd rather just talk about Star Wars.  Since you explained to me "how it sounded" from your perspective... here's how it sounds from mine:  It's akin to me saying, "Hmm, I've long heard that Joaquin Phoenix is a vegan and I suspect that's why the movie he has people exclusively eating vegetables in every scene" and you reacting, "That's racist!! You might as well be calling Joaquim Phoenix a dirty jew!"...

My main point was that the prequels had empty characters with no characteristics, stunted dialogue, an over-focus on Politics, and no sense of humor at all.   It was stiff models speaking about trade disputes.  Others have commented that the prequels felt like they were written by an 8 year old.   I took it a step further and commented on why I think George Lucas struggled writing them.  Main point is... I think the new movie had far better writing.  I could actually describe who these characters were, what their motivations were, how they were unique, etc.  This was also helped by considerably better acting... though bad acting often comes from bad directing... and George Lucas isn't a good director.

Back on topic (HEAVY SPOILERS).. Just to comment on people complaining about Rey's power-levels... the consensus theory seems to be that she was a youngling training to be a jedi when she had her memory wiped and was dropped on Jakku (clearly out of safety since the Knights of Ren were in the process of murdering all the remaining Jedi).   Most popular theory is that she's Luke's daughter... super likely, imo based on a number of hints.   I take it a step further... I think Kylo Ren was the one who spared her (and clips during the flashback/vision scene seem to show exactly that) and was likely the one who dropped her off on Jakku, because he couldn't bring himself to murder his young cousin.  He knows who she is.  He's holding back when fighting her.  These aren't "excuses" about "plot holes".... If some of you are unfamiliar with "Star Wars", the first movie left MANY questions that were later revealed in the story.  It's what these movies do.  In-fact, when the original movie came out there was a pretty prevalent theory that LUke's father was R2D2.   The mystery is part of it.   Hold off on judging Rey standing toe-to-toe with Kylo Ren until you know about Rey's backstory.   Right now, nothing is confirmed.  We do know that she was abandoned... we do know that she's wearing a costume suspiciously similar to a padawan during her flashback... we do know that's she's familiar with Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, the Millenium Falcon, and Jedi concepts such as mind tricks...  All this points to her having received training at some point in her youth... and having repressed memories.

Umm, how can a robot have a mental disability?  As for the rest of what I've emboldened, well, that's not even close to an apt comparison, so -

But I agree, let's just stick to the movie.

« Reply #88 on: December 22, 2015, 12:00:13 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
BeatLA, you try to be the most transparent person possible on the internet. I think that's not as fun as leaving ambiguity, but TP for your valiant cause. (I won't comment about the whole exchange that just took place.)

LarBrd, we share a love for movies (and it seems like we have similar taste)! TP to you as well. Thank you for the bolded spoiler warnings. I hope to see the new Star Wars this Xmas week with the family, and I'll hopefully be able to contribute to (and read more than half) of this thread then.

EDIT: I will admit to being a prequel fan, but I only liked Revenge of the Sith by itself. Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones were just too slow-moving for me. Revenge of the Sith was a visual delight to watch, and when I look back on the entire prequel trilogy, I get a lot more from overarching personal reflection than the individually-tailored movie breakdowns.

Lol, I'm just trying to eliminate the possibility of having ugly misunderstandings.  Btw, I saw what you wrote about the 'infamous' Leia costume and I wholeheartedly agree, probably bc we're of the same demographic, bc it did absolutely nothing for me, lol :laugh:, so TP for you too :).

« Reply #89 on: December 22, 2015, 12:12:04 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Lol, I'm just trying to eliminate the possibility of having ugly misunderstandings.  Btw, I saw what you wrote about the 'infamous' Leia costume and I wholeheartedly agree, probably bc we're of the same demographic, bc it did absolutely nothing for me, lol :laugh:, so TP for you too :).
Just to temporarily stick with the PC Police/Star Wars theme...

If this new trilogy continues down the same familiar trajectory of the originals with just a couple gender-reversals, imagine the outrage in Episode 9 when we are forced to watch a scantily-clad "Slave Finn".  Here's hoping the next two episodes break away from the mold a bit.