Author Topic: Doctor: “Kyrie could have a chronic shoulder issue”  (Read 10409 times)

Re: Doctor: “Kyrie could have a chronic shoulder issue”
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2019, 08:52:45 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
It’s interesting that Kyrie is dealing with an impingement and potential labrum tear.  That’s what IT had, although the injury is drastically different in the hip than shoulder.

Isaiah’s issue was more serious than an injury to the labrum. There was an underlying deformity of the hip socket that possibly - probably - led to the labral tear. Labrums are hard enough to heal without an ill-fitting joint.

You’re right about hip joint versus shoulder joint (for one thing, you can run and jump while the shoulder labrum is healing, which is a huge difference for the patient), though the labrums in the two joints are equally difficult to heal.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 09:00:38 PM by Hoopvortex »
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2019, 10:13:54 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It’s interesting that Kyrie is dealing with an impingement and potential labrum tear.  That’s what IT had, although the injury is drastically different in the hip than shoulder.

Isaiah’s issue was more serious than an injury to the labrum. There was an underlying deformity of the hip socket that possibly - probably - led to the labral tear. Labrums are hard enough to heal without an ill-fitting joint.

The deformity was the femoral impingement. Kyrie has one in his shoulder, although that’s not necessarily due to anything structurally deformed in the shoulder. It does involve a lot of rubbing / friction / catching of the tendons on the bone.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2019, 11:19:42 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
8)
After realizing he wasn't going to win much leading the Nets alone, he's sitting out this season to play with KD next season.

This is just my opinion/theory.
This. The Nets are playing better without him.

So did we.

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2019, 11:31:26 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

The deformity was the femoral impingement. Kyrie has one in his shoulder, although that’s not necessarily due to anything structurally deformed in the shoulder. It does involve a lot of rubbing / friction / catching of the tendons on the bone.

Isaiah’s femur was impinging the labrum because of the socket deformity. You are saying that the deformity was the impingement, which doesn’t make sense. The surgery that he got, iirc, included shaving bone to give the femoral head a better fit.

The official diagnosis was: “ ... right femoral-acetabular impingement with labral tear“. The acetabulum is the socket of the hip joint.

That’s a different kind of impingement than Kyrie’s. Kyrie has a subacromial impingement, which is where the supraspinatus muscle is crowded up against the acromion process of the scapula.

The labrum is inside the joint; Kyrie’s injury is above the joint.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2019, 03:22:34 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
That's not good news. The NBA needs players like Kyrie, even if the Celtics don't.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2019, 04:19:40 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
That's not good news. The NBA needs players like Kyrie, even if the Celtics don't.
not that I'm rooting for Kyrie to be injure but what the NBA needs is better officiating and return to the rules/style of play of the early-to-mid 80's --> pre-Bad Boys Detroit.  THAT was great basketball before the thuggery, blatant superstar-call officiating and 3-pt shot worshipping took over. 

Kyrie's just a talented player.  the NBA has a number of those and will continue to have more entering the league every year.

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2019, 05:23:46 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
good for nets?

they are now at 12 wins and 10 loses. 9-3 without kyrie in the lineup, and 3-7 with him.   ;D
Is there a better backup PG than Dinwiddie?   

« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2020, 07:14:56 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
NEW YORK -- As a shoulder injury threatens to spoil his debut season with the Brooklyn Nets, Kyrie Irving said Saturday that surgery is not off the table, though he is hoping to avoid it.

Speaking with reporters for the first time since initially injuring his right shoulder in mid-November, Irving, who was diagnosed with a shoulder impingement, said he got a cortisone shot on Dec. 24 in an attempt to postpone or eliminate the need for surgery.

"I am in a better place now that it has been a significant amount of time," Irving said. "The next step in any progression was to either get a cortisone shot or to get surgery. That was the ultimatum I was fixed with. Now, I'm just doing the best I can to live off this cortisone and move forward if I need surgery in the future."

Irving said he and the Nets' medical team will reevaluate in a month or two whether arthroscopic surgery will be needed.

Taking the season off.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2020, 10:05:39 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
NEW YORK -- As a shoulder injury threatens to spoil his debut season with the Brooklyn Nets, Kyrie Irving said Saturday that surgery is not off the table, though he is hoping to avoid it.

Speaking with reporters for the first time since initially injuring his right shoulder in mid-November, Irving, who was diagnosed with a shoulder impingement, said he got a cortisone shot on Dec. 24 in an attempt to postpone or eliminate the need for surgery.

"I am in a better place now that it has been a significant amount of time," Irving said. "The next step in any progression was to either get a cortisone shot or to get surgery. That was the ultimatum I was fixed with. Now, I'm just doing the best I can to live off this cortisone and move forward if I need surgery in the future."

Irving said he and the Nets' medical team will reevaluate in a month or two whether arthroscopic surgery will be needed.

Taking the season off.
Is Kemba a breath of fresh air or what?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2020, 12:56:14 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Taking the season off.
Is Kemba a breath of fresh air or what?
Not just a breath of fresh air, he's actually what a team would expect out of an All-NBA point guard.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2020, 10:32:25 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I have a feeling Kyrie will sit out the whole season, since without KD it's a "lost" season anyway. The last thing he wants is to come back and for them to start losing.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Irving out 2 more months
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2020, 11:49:09 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Our old buddy, Kyrie Irving, is out 2 more month.. glad we didn’t resign him..if Durant was playing, I bet Kyrie would be
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2020, 11:53:01 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Anyone really surprised? No KD, so of course it's a "lost season" for Kyrie. Ironically though, this may have been a blessing for the Nets as they're playing better without him and Dinwiddie has emerged as an all-star talent. 

How much do you want to bet this "chronic shoulder issue" suddenly ends by next season as KD returns  :P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2020, 12:21:20 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
"... until Kevin Durant is healthy enough to play alongside him," the doctor added, quietly.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2020, 12:56:49 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
As usual there are a lot of seemingly contradictory/weird statements by Irving.  He claims he overworked his shoulder trying to come back from a facial injury- that alone sounds weird and funny- hurting a shoulder rehabbing a face :D.  Then he says the shoulder is doing a lot better but he still struggles to lift his shoulder when taking jump shots.  And he also said he just had a cortisone shot and that he will be reevaluated in a month or two... when does someone wait two months to see how cortisone worked?  It's all Irving's usual craziness.  He obviously just doesn't want to play right now like others are saying.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 01:38:40 PM by moiso »