Author Topic: I don't get it man.. what happened? (Ex girlfriend story)  (Read 27127 times)

Re: I don't get it man.. what happened? (Ex girlfriend story)
« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2013, 06:00:56 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158
She sounds like a 19 year old trollop that will just cause you frustration.  You're a naive 21 year old boy.  Let her go and move on with your life.  You probably shouldn't even think about settling down until you're nearing 30.  You need to sew your wild oats.  Get it out of your system when you're young.  You are both far too young for a serious relationship.  You don't even understand yourself at this point let alone what you want/need in a partner.   I was stuck in a terrible relationship for 3 years from age 19-21.  Then I tried online dating for a while... went out on dates with easily over 100 different girls over the next 7-8 years until meeting a girl I legitimately enjoyed being around.  I'm only 30... I still don't know what the heck I'm doing.  There are people far wiser than myself on this forum.  But I sure as heck know that at 21 I was clueless and my life would have been a disaster had I stuck in that first serious relationship.

As I'm sure everyone else is saying, you're going to look back on this little 6 month fling and laugh about how silly you were. 

I mean really... what's the chances that your serious match just happened to be some teenage strumpet who worked at the same job as you.   It's a big world out there...  she's just some random.

Also... from age 19-25 people tend to change dramatically.  There's pretty much a 1% chance of it ever actually working out with this child harlot long-term.  Plus, if you live in the Northeast, there's a high probability she's going to gain 50 pounds and succumb to a crippling drug addiction over the next few years anyways.

As someone from the northeast who met his wife at 21 years old and been happily married for almost 5 years, I couldn't disagree more. God knows where I would be if it wasn't for her. Idle time is the devil's plaything.

It should be noted that my wife gained like 10 pounds, but she was a little too thin back in the day so it's all good.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #61 on: July 26, 2013, 06:12:48 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
Sorry to hear about your situation OP, that's a tough one. I would advise you to be persistent. Go all out courting if you really think she's worth it. But after a little while give her the option of being with you or giving you time to heal and move on. Nothing in between.

I respectfully disagree.  I think going all out is a bad move and could only end up hurting him if she continually rejects his advances.  By the fact she is up and leaving immediately from the place they shared, she is severing ties cold turkey.  Plus if he is going all out to get her, she may think he is being a "creeper".  Just let nature take its course.  He can't be looking desperate and pitiful.  From my experiences, whenever a break up occurred, the girl didn't like when I was going all out, sent her a gift package, flowers or a letter or text messages.  They told me to leave them alone.  I know it hurts but it's just how it is in many cases.

Yeah, I hear what you are saying, but I think your approach is more focused on the "I want to see what's out there" while my approach also recognizes the positive signs:

- Very nice to OP in front of friends "She definitely loves you"
- Cold feet

Maybe she just needs the reassurance that OP is in it for the long haul? I think my approach kind of covers both possibilities. Go hard 'grand finale' style then cut ties and move on if it is an epic fail. What's there to lose at this point? OP is in love. GO hard for it!

« Reply #62 on: July 26, 2013, 06:15:02 PM »

Online sahara

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 84
Sorry to hear about your situation OP, that's a tough one. I would advise you to be persistent. Go all out courting if you really think she's worth it. But after a little while give her the option of being with you or giving you time to heal and move on. Nothing in between.

I respectfully disagree.  I think going all out is a bad move and could only end up hurting him if she continually rejects his advances.  By the fact she is up and leaving immediately from the place they shared, she is severing ties cold turkey.  Plus if he is going all out to get her, she may think he is being a "creeper".  Just let nature take its course.  He can't be looking desperate and pitiful.  From my experiences, whenever a break up occurred, the girl didn't like when I was going all out, sent her a gift package, flowers or a letter or text messages.  They told me to leave them alone.  I know it hurts but it's just how it is in many cases.

PaulPierce34G speaks the truth. I have been through a similar situation at a similar age (girl too). I tried everything to remain as friends and that was one of the worst decisions of my life. You need to cut ties with that girl a.s.a.p, trust me, that is the only way.

« Reply #63 on: July 26, 2013, 06:17:16 PM »

Offline Bombastic Jones

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 53
First, sorry you are going through a tough time.  As you get older you will see this as a small speed bump on your road to whatever happy relationship you end up in. That doesn't change how it feels at the moment.

These are the same pieces of information I gave my little brother in a similar situation at a similar age. Worked like a charm for him, it will work for you.

If you ever want her back step one is to cut her out. Don't talk to her, don't text her, don't email her. Don't hangout with her. Don't talk about her, not like in a melodramatic 'don't mention her name around me' kind of thing, but if she comes up in conversation and you have to put something in, just say you really hope shes happy and that's about all you think about it.

Step 2 is to be extremely social otherwise. Go out, see your friends, act like you're in a really, really good place. Don't make up a girlfriend in Canada or anything, but just act like everything is okay and you'd like next in beerpong, and that's about all you have to say about it.

If this is one of those 'friends first, then more, now less' things, and there is any hope for redemption on the romantic front, she'll recognize that her life is worse off without you.

But if there isn't hope for redemption romantically, my plan is also the fastest way towards your own recovery from the relationship. Two birds, one plan.

The problem is you guys aren't getting is..

We work together, and we live together for the moment.

Should I still be friendly and cordial with her for now?

My rule of thumbs when broken up are

1) Go out with your homies/friends. Get drunk, do whatever, but have fun and be very social.

2) I usually cut off contact. If she initiates contact, I'll say something casual, but not overly friendly to where its a conversation. Its usually yeah everything's good. And leave it at that, or cut it short saying I gotta go.

3) And then I pretty much focus harder on working out, and I'll probably pick up a double shift to feel a little better when I'm tired.

EDIT:

I gotta say yet again, I'm very happy a lot of people are reading my problems and responding.

I always been a guest member, and never made an account when I could've in 2009-2010. But I regret I didn't. You guys are making it feel a lot better for this pill to swallow. I do appreciate your guys comments and reading. It really means a lot, and this already feels like a family to me.

I think this post makes sense.  For me, that would be the right way to handle it.  If you can follow through on this consistently without a lot of angst you are in the right place mentally.  There is nothing wrong with being cordial to someone.  At the same time, she wants to date other people, save your intimacy for someone who wants to reciprocate on the same level.

She says she's going to move out today.

Is it right for me to be concerned where she's going, because I seriously doubt she found a place by now, or should I just ignore it? Half of me doesn't really care, and the other half wants to make sure at least she isn't exactly living in her car.

You care about her, so yes it is 'right' or natural to be concerned.  But, for your own health you need to not get involved with her decision or her plan. She wants to be independent, give her the dignity of the risks associated with that.

« Reply #64 on: July 26, 2013, 06:17:26 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey

PaulPierce34G speaks the truth. I have been through a similar situation at a similar age (girl too). I tried everything to remain as friends and that was one of the worst decisions of my life. You need to cut ties with that girl a.s.a.p, trust me, that is the only way.

Who said anything about remaining friends?

« Reply #65 on: July 26, 2013, 06:20:51 PM »

Offline PaulPierce34G

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 110
  • Soul Glo

Yeah, I hear what you are saying, but I think your approach is more focused on the "I want to see what's out there" while my approach also recognizes the positive signs:

- Cold feet

Maybe she just needs the reassurance that OP is in it for the long haul? I think my approach kind of covers both possibilities. Go hard 'grand finale' style then cut ties and move on if it is an epic fail. What's there to lose at this point? OP is in love. GO hard for it!

True story. 

I guess it depends on how one views the situation.  I think everyone reacts differently to any situation in life.  All we have to offer him for advice is our own personal experiences that pertain to this particular situation.  Some of us are telling him to leave her be and others are saying give it a shot, try to be friends, whatever.  All of our responses are based on our own personal experiences.  Ultimately, he will do whatever he wants to do and that's all it really boils down to. 

« Reply #66 on: July 26, 2013, 06:23:53 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
She sounds like a 19 year old trollop that will just cause you frustration.  You're a naive 21 year old boy.  Let her go and move on with your life.  You probably shouldn't even think about settling down until you're nearing 30.  You need to sew your wild oats.  Get it out of your system when you're young.  You are both far too young for a serious relationship.  You don't even understand yourself at this point let alone what you want/need in a partner.   I was stuck in a terrible relationship for 3 years from age 19-21.  Then I tried online dating for a while... went out on dates with easily over 100 different girls over the next 7-8 years until meeting a girl I legitimately enjoyed being around.  I'm only 30... I still don't know what the heck I'm doing.  There are people far wiser than myself on this forum.  But I sure as heck know that at 21 I was clueless and my life would have been a disaster had I stuck in that first serious relationship.

As I'm sure everyone else is saying, you're going to look back on this little 6 month fling and laugh about how silly you were. 

I mean really... what's the chances that your serious match just happened to be some teenage strumpet who worked at the same job as you.   It's a big world out there...  she's just some random.

Also... from age 19-25 people tend to change dramatically.  There's pretty much a 1% chance of it ever actually working out with this child harlot long-term.  Plus, if you live in the Northeast, there's a high probability she's going to gain 50 pounds and succumb to a crippling drug addiction over the next few years anyways.

As someone from the northeast who met his wife at 21 years old and been happily married for almost 5 years, I couldn't disagree more. God knows where I would be if it wasn't for her. Idle time is the devil's plaything.

It should be noted that my wife gained like 10 pounds, but she was a little too thin back in the day so it's all good.
I mean there are exceptions.  Congrats to you.  In general, the 19 year old girl is going to evolve emotionally and intellectually over the next several years... or he will... or both.  It's highly likely they will grow apart.  The girl I thought was my "true love" when I was a 19 year old kid working a dead-end job was some airhead blonde who worked at a grocery store.  11 years later, she's still an airhead blonde who works at a grocery store and I'm at a completely different place in my life with completely different interests and completely different hopes and dreams. 

"Those who marry when between the ages of 20 to 24 have the highest rate of divorce. You've probably heard people say that 50% of all marriages end in divorce. And while this is kind of accurate, it's also a bit misleading. As it turns out, age plays a big role in determining a marriage's fate. Those who marry when between the ages of 20 to 24 have the highest rate of divorce. These couples are nearly twice as likely to get divorced as those who get married between the ages of 25 to 29 years old."

Consider yourself lucky.  It works out sometimes.  I highly recommend against it, though.  Too many [dang] people in this world.  If he's already having trouble with this 19 year old trollops now, it's likely only going to get worse.  No sense in settling for the first girl you fancy who happens to work with you. 

I guess there are other factors that could lead to success. Maybe you get lucky, meet a girl in medical school with the same life goals and interests... maybe you get married young, evolve together and stay on the same trajectory.  Maybe you meet your girlfriend working at Pizza Hut when you're 21... she's a cute vapid blonde, you're a meathead jock.  Maybe 10 years later you're both still working happily at Pizza Hut with the same simplistic life goals... Happily ever after.  Or perhaps you're both a couple religious nuts with the crippling guilt of a biblical cloud zombie overlord dictating your entire life... you crap out kids young and live the rest of your life moderately content.  I mean, it could work.  It does work sometimes.  Kudos to those who get lucky.  I just know that I personally am an entirely different person than I was 10 years ago and in retrospect I couldn't tolerate dating my ex for a week let alone 3 years.  And I'd say clearly FAAAAR more often than not, the guy/girl you date at age 19 is not the person you spend the rest of your life with.  So there's no use sulking over a temporary fling that will inevitably be a small blip in the grand scheme of your life.  Merely a cameo in your overarching story.  Don't stress it...  But save the pics.  You'll definitely want to save those pics.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 06:33:57 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2013, 06:24:43 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
These are the same pieces of information I gave my little brother in a similar situation at a similar age. Worked like a charm for him, it will work for you.

If you ever want her back step one is to cut her out. Don't talk to her, don't text her, don't email her. Don't hangout with her. Don't talk about her, not like in a melodramatic 'don't mention her name around me' kind of thing, but if she comes up in conversation and you have to put something in, just say you really hope shes happy and that's about all you think about it.

Step 2 is to be extremely social otherwise. Go out, see your friends, act like you're in a really, really good place. Don't make up a girlfriend in Canada or anything, but just act like everything is okay and you'd like next in beerpong, and that's about all you have to say about it.

If this is one of those 'friends first, then more, now less' things, and there is any hope for redemption on the romantic front, she'll recognize that her life is worse off without you.

But if there isn't hope for redemption romantically, my plan is also the fastest way towards your own recovery from the relationship. Two birds, one plan.

IP actually nails it here. I'll co-sign with this but only after go hard for her one more time. Then like I said, completely cut ties.

« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2013, 06:26:37 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

- Cold feet

True story. 

I guess it depends on how one views the situation.  I think everyone reacts differently to any situation in life.  All we have to offer him for advice is our own personal experiences that pertain to this particular situation.  Some of us are telling him to leave her be and others are saying give it a shot, try to be friends, whatever.  All of our responses are based on our own personal experiences.  Ultimately, he will do whatever he wants to do and that's all it really boils down to.

Very true. 

That said, from my perspective, "going all out" for this girl seems like a waste of time.  She's already scared of commitment.  I think really laying on the charm after she's said she finds other guys attractive, likes to flirt with other men, and wants to essentially sow her oats would be disastrous.

What are the two possible outcomes?  One, you push her even farther away.  Two, you sweep her off her feet for a couple of weeks, until she once again realizes that she's 19 and is feeling repressed, and the same thing happens again, only worse.

I don't see much of a future in it.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #69 on: July 26, 2013, 06:29:32 PM »

Online sahara

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 84

My bad JSD. I meant "special" friends. From my experience, if you want to be with her someday in the future -> the less you interact with her now, the more likely you two can hit it off in the future and become an item again.

« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2013, 06:32:51 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey

- Cold feet

True story. 

Exactly. It all about the trial and error of our own personal experiences. For me, if I didn't go hard for the cold young woman at that college party who wouldn't give me the time of day, who knows where I would be today? Persistence, wearing my heart of my sleeve and all out courting paid off for me. Granted, it was a different situation, but I feel like my lady was in the reluctant "Is he for real" category at the beginning.

« Reply #71 on: July 26, 2013, 06:36:41 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey

I mean there are exceptions.  Congrats to you.  In general, the 19 year old girl is going to evolve emotionally and intellectually over the next several years... or he will... or both.  It's highly likely they will grow apart.  The girl I thought was my "true love" when I was a 19 year old kid working a dead-end job was some airhead blonde who worked at a grocery store.  11 years later, she's still an airhead blonde who works at a grocery store and I'm at a completely different place in my life with completely different interests and completely different hopes and dreams. 

"Those who marry when between the ages of 20 to 24 have the highest rate of divorce. You've probably heard people say that 50% of all marriages end in divorce. And while this is kind of accurate, it's also a bit misleading. As it turns out, age plays a big role in determining a marriage's fate. Those who marry when between the ages of 20 to 24 have the highest rate of divorce. These couples are nearly twice as likely to get divorced as those who get married between the ages of 25 to 29 years old."

Consider yourself lucky.  It works out sometimes.  I highly recommend against it, though.  Too many [dang] people in this world.  If he's already having trouble with this 19 year old trollops now, it's likely only going to get worse.  No sense in settling for the first girl you fancy who happens to work with you. 

I guess there are other factors that could lead to success. Maybe you get lucky, meet a girl in medical school with the same life goals and interests... maybe you get married young, evolve together and stay on the same trajectory.  Maybe you meet your girlfriend working at Pizza Hut when you're 21... she's a cute vapid blonde, you're a meathead jock.  Maybe 10 years later you're both still working happily at Pizza Hut with the same simplistic life goals... Happily ever after.  Or perhaps you're both a couple religious nuts with the crippling guilt of a biblical cloud zombie overlord dictating your entire life... you crap out kids young and live the rest of your life moderately content.  I mean, it could work.  It does work sometimes.  Kudos to those who get lucky.  I just know that I personally am an entirely different person than I was 10 years ago and in retrospect I couldn't tolerate dating my ex for a week let alone 3 years.  And I'd say clearly FAAAAR more often than not, the guy/girl you date at age 19 is not the person you spend the rest of your life with.  So there's no use sulking over a temporary fling that will inevitably be a small blip in the grand scheme of your life.  Merely a cameo in your overarching story.  Don't stress it...  But save the pics.  You'll definitely want to save those pics.

Married at 25... Phew... But I'm definitely a different person than I was 8 years ago when we met. The trick is, we grew together is supportive fashion.

« Reply #72 on: July 26, 2013, 06:45:11 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey

- Cold feet

True story. 

Very true. 

That said, from my perspective, "going all out" for this girl seems like a waste of time.  She's already scared of commitment.  I think really laying on the charm after she's said she finds other guys attractive, likes to flirt with other men, and wants to essentially sow her oats would be disastrous.

What are the two possible outcomes?  One, you push her even farther away.  Two, you sweep her off her feet for a couple of weeks, until she once again realizes that she's 19 and is feeling repressed, and the same thing happens again, only worse.

I don't see much of a future in it.

Meh, I think those possibilities, while might be the most likely outcome, are limiting... You're probably right,though. But under my suggestion(s), at least he tried! I think Monkhouse may be trying to vindicate going 'all in'. Well I'm here to give him that vindication! Go get her, Monkhouse! Pour it on her with a smile!

« Reply #73 on: July 26, 2013, 06:53:15 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey

My bad JSD. I meant "special" friends. From my experience, if you want to be with her someday in the future -> the less you interact with her now, the more likely you two can hit it off in the future and become an item again.

More times than not, you're probably right. It's funny the changes in "the game" from early 20's to late 20's. I feel like men gain the upper hand later in their 20's as woman start focusing on their biological clock and the financial and social benefits of marriage. Not to mention the pressure from peers to get hitched and all that. Earlier in life theirs no pressure and gals seem more difficult to get commitment out of them. I'm basing this on my observation of friends both sexes.

« Reply #74 on: July 26, 2013, 06:54:55 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Shallow answer:  Well what does she look like? I mean if she looks like Emma Watson or Natalie Portman tell her "sure. Whatever you want".  If she looks like Lindsay Lohan, not so much. If she looks like Lindsay and you look like Shrek then in that case just go with it.  Look at her mom. Did she age like Faye Dunaway or Mary Lou Henner or more like Roseanne Barr? This is all really important stuff to consider.

Non-shallow answer....Roy pretty much nailed it.

Plus she's 19. They haven't made a 19 year old girl ready for a committed serious relationship in western society since girls started going to college around the time of the Titanic.