Author Topic: Preseason Game 1 Celtics vs Sixers 10/8  (Read 49792 times)

Re: Preseason Game 1 Celtics vs Sixers 10/8
« Reply #180 on: October 08, 2008, 09:59:53 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
this is what i took out of the game: i'm a little worried about our bench (it seems like without the starters, we had no offense, as seen by the last 1:18 of the game) but i'm extremely excited about walker.

the last few minutes line up was pruitt, scal, walker, TA and powe.

one of those guys should be cut (but probley wont because its not finacialy feasable, instead we'll lose a useful player  :-\) , and 2 others are competing for the backup minutes to the backups.

lets not overreact to the final 2 minutes of a freaking pre-season game.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 10:04:58 PM by crownsy »
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #181 on: October 08, 2008, 10:02:04 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Too much Scal for my taste. I wanted to see Miles a bit more playing alongside a combination of Tony/Giddens/Walker.

House could've done a better job distributing the ball.

I hope they find a way to get Miles in better positioning so that he gets more touches. Liked what I saw from him though. We could really use a guy like him, a SF/PF type not named Scal.

I thought we had a good system breaking the press (something we lacked last year), but what we do after breaking the press still needs work (quite a few forced ill advised passes towards the basket).

I liked what I saw from Pruitt.

Giddens, there was nothing to see yet. But I liked his energy and he showed a bit of defensive awareness. Bonus points for assisting Walker's monster dunk.

Walker was great tonight. Like Miles, I'd like to see him being positioned better so that he get more touches in the low post.

POB was great tonight. How awesome was that Alley-oop? He needs to be a bit tougher on defense and have better rotations, but he showed that he can be a decent rebounder and shot blocker. I thought his offensive game was pretty good, and his passing was great. Good outlet passes too.

« Reply #182 on: October 08, 2008, 10:06:11 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
Too much Scal for my taste. I wanted to see Miles a bit more playing alongside a combination of Tony/Giddens/Walker.

House could've done a better job distributing the ball.

I hope they find a way to get Miles in better positioning so that he gets more touches. Liked what I saw from him though. We could really use a guy like him, a SF/PF type not named Scal.

I thought we had a good system breaking the press (something we lacked last year), but what we do after breaking the press still needs work (quite a few forced ill advised passes towards the basket).

I liked what I saw from Pruitt.

Giddens, there was nothing to see yet. But I liked his energy and he showed a bit of defensive awareness. Bonus points for assisting Walker's monster dunk.

Walker was great tonight. Like Miles, I'd like to see him being positioned better so that he get more touches in the low post.

POB was great tonight. How awesome was that Alley-oop? He needs to be a bit tougher on defense and have better rotations, but he showed that he can be a decent rebounder and shot blocker. I thought his offensive game was pretty good, and his passing was great. Good outlet passes too.

agree on all points, like to see scal's minutes go away so giddens can get some run.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #183 on: October 08, 2008, 10:10:45 PM »

Offline Bill Walton

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 11
That was great having a game once again, probably the only pre-season one I'll get. So the season can't start soon enough.

« Reply #184 on: October 08, 2008, 10:18:55 PM »

Offline 86 Celtics

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 12
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law. To pursue... natural justice. This is not vengeance. Revenge is not a valid motive, it's an emotional response. No. Not vengeance. Punishment.

« Reply #185 on: October 08, 2008, 10:22:29 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I don't really blame Scal. The problem was turnovers through out the game. The full court pressure was a back breaker when Rondo wasn't out there. Too many turnovers to succeed. House isn't a point guard and it showed. Scal was just the tip of the iceberg.

no, scal was the entire iceberg on an individual level. he missed 5 open shots with 3 air balls, turned the ball over multiple times, got beat 3 times on defense by my count, and in general contributed nothing.

im sorry, he was worthless. i know he's fun to have around as a mascot, but he is utterly without merit.

The second unit had 19 to's. Scal had 4, Big Baby had 5, Leon Powe had 5, and Tony Allen 3. What all those guys have in common is that they were the guys House threw the ball to when he was trapped (which was fairly often). Scal was one of the worst players out there no doubt, but he's not why we lost.

« Reply #186 on: October 08, 2008, 10:27:18 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
I don't really blame Scal. The problem was turnovers through out the game. The full court pressure was a back breaker when Rondo wasn't out there. Too many turnovers to succeed. House isn't a point guard and it showed. Scal was just the tip of the iceberg.

no, scal was the entire iceberg on an individual level. he missed 5 open shots with 3 air balls, turned the ball over multiple times, got beat 3 times on defense by my count, and in general contributed nothing.

im sorry, he was worthless. i know he's fun to have around as a mascot, but he is utterly without merit.

The second unit had 19 to's. Scal had 4, Big Baby had 5, Leon Powe had 5, and Tony Allen 3. What all those guys have in common is that they were the guys House threw the ball to when he was trapped (which was fairly often). Scal was one of the worst players out there no doubt, but he's not why we lost.

lol, did we really lost
i thought we win
lol
thank god this is pre season
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #187 on: October 08, 2008, 10:30:14 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Well it was the usual from Scalabrine but that's not why they lost. They lost because no one could stop Louis Williams. Not a good defensive effort by House.

Why wasn't Tony Allen on Williams?

« Reply #188 on: October 08, 2008, 10:37:05 PM »

Offline no kidding

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 12
It was hard to be happy with House as point guard, even if you didn't mind how many shots he took.  When the Sixers would press in the backcourt, the Celtics would have Tony Allen dribble the ball up instead of House, and then pass it to House after crossing half-court. Took up too much time.

I would've liked to have seen more of Pruitt. He looked pretty smooth out there in the minutes he played, and his defense looked sharp, especially in comparison to House's.  The Celtics don't need Cassell on this squad. Let him be an assistant coach.

Paddy O'Bryant needs to keep working on that rebounding.  But for a low-cost back-up center, he looked like a bargain free agent pickup.

Miles looked intriguing at times. There's going to be a real competition with him and Walker.

« Reply #189 on: October 08, 2008, 10:37:50 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

i honestly could care less if we won or lost, the pre season is about evaluating players, and scal is clearly the worst as of this moment.

« Reply #190 on: October 08, 2008, 10:49:37 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
1 game into the preseason and we have our first rotation lock for the year.

Scal will not be in there for crunch time.  Ughhh.  What sucks is that he was clearly giving his all out there.
Yup

« Reply #191 on: October 08, 2008, 10:59:05 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...

i honestly could care less if we won or lost, the pre season is about evaluating players, and scal is clearly the worst as of this moment.

I agree with you 100%. I'm not worried about the loss at all. I'm just saying Scal isn't the sole reason we lost. Eddie House is still not a point guard, and when he's not with the Big 3 it shows.

« Reply #192 on: October 08, 2008, 11:36:34 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
My take from tonight and how it answered our offseason questions.  Of course this is a very small sample and everything is subject to change.

1.) If we have to choose trading Leon or Big Baby, i want to keep Leon.  I think for at least the next few years with the Big 3, he's a better fit for this team.

2.) Tony Allen isn't back to his form from 2 years ago, but he is a lot closer this year than he was last year.  Encouraging night from him.

3.) At the least O'Bryant is a good backup center for this squad.  There aren't many talented ones in the league, and he can fit the role for us nicely.

4.) Cassell is going to need to play some quality minutes with the second team this year.  Hopefully having a training camp under his belt will bring him back to being a real point guard and not a shoot first, second, and third point guard.

5.) Walker deserves 10 minutes a night on this team, Giddens has a long way to go.

6.) I don't care how much money Scal is making, cut him.  He doesn't belong on the floor in the NBA, especially for the defending champs.

7.) Oh yeah, the Big 3 is still the Big 3  :)
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #193 on: October 08, 2008, 11:50:15 PM »

Offline Sweet17

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Scalabrine looks to be a bad NBA player right now. I think he is gotten even more out of shape. I absolutely take a shot with Miles at this point over Scalabrine. If that's what it comes down too.

Miles didn't do that much postive but at least he plays in control out there. Scalabrine reminds me of Dwight - the guy on the Office..

Anyone still think TA/Miles/Walker can't replace Posey? Come on admit it - TA is pretty good.

Pete

« Reply #194 on: October 08, 2008, 11:56:08 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1437
Patrick O'bryant looked great. 3 blocked shots, 4-6 from the field. He needs to add some muscle but seems to be more coordinated offensively then Perk.

Darius Miles looked good. He did exactly what you want froma a  bench player. Went 3-3 from the field, 0 turnovers. He did not look comfortable with the offense yet which is understandable, but looked decent defensively.

My order for player to be cut.
1. Scal- When he is on the court he hurts the team. When he started getting more minutes the team lost their lead and eventually the game.
2. Pruitt or Casell- We do not need 4 point guards.
3. Glen Davis- I See Powe as the better of the two.

Whats the deal with the D-League? If we send Pruitt or Giddens there are they still on our 15 man roster???

Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.