Author Topic: Trade ideas to build depth: Konchar, Carter, Achiuwa  (Read 5657 times)

Re: Trade ideas to build depth: Konchar, Carter, Achiuwa
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2023, 01:41:30 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
I wonder if a more productive strategy would be to try and get Brissett and/or Stevens to the point where they are actually useful players.  Based on their careers prior to Boston, you would think they could be doing more.  What is the problem there?  Is there some way to fix the problem.  If those two guys became actually useful, that would solve our depth problem.

Yeah.  The coaching staff has got to find a way to work these two in.  They're "dirt dog" / "grit and grind" type guys.  Every team should be able to find a slot for them, even if they're going through a slump.

This was a great skill of Stevens, particularly early in his career.  He knew how to find time for flawed, incomplete basketball players.  It hasn't been a strength of either Ime or Joe.
This is where I'm at. Queta is finally getting some run and he's looked terrific for a #3 center. I'm also higher on Kornet than most are here. I've liked Brissett and Stevens' minutes, I'd like to see more of them and I think we'd feel more comfortable with what we have going into the playoffs.

Getting someone like Beef Stew without giving up someone in the top 8 would obviously be a huge upgrade but it doesn't sound like that's going to happen. The problem with a lot of these trades is that I'm not convinced the C's would be getting back a better player. I don't know that Konchar is actually better than Svi or that he'd get any more minutes if he were dropped onto the Celtics right now.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2023, 01:56:15 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Yeah, you can get Stewart with Pritchard, Kornet, and the end of the bench guys. You can also use the TPE and get some of those end bench types back.

I'd probably do the trade and use 2 1st's if we got Sasser along with Stewart.

Not really interested in trading Pritchard. After a tough start, he's been playing a big role off the bench. I think his and Hauser's shooting are too important to give up for a big that probably won't play all that much if Kristaps and Horford are healthy in the playoffs.
that is why you have to get Sasser back or it doesn't make sense. 

essentially the two trades are combined something like this

Stewart, Sasser, Livers, Umude for Pritchard, Kornet, Brisset, Svi, Stevens, Bos 24 1st, GS 1st (and maybe you protect the GS pick such that if it is in the lottery, you just trade the Bos 25 1st instead)

I'd probably do that as I think Sasser provides most of what Pritchard does right now (sasser is shooting 42.5% from 3 on 3 attempts, so he even does that better), but as a 1st round rookie you have 4 years of cheap control when you'd expect improvement such that I believe he will be a lot better than Pritchard over the next 4 years and is a lot cheaper.

So post trade

you essentially just swap Pritchard and Kornet for Sasser and Stewart.  That seems like a pretty solid upgrade in the short term with a lot more long-term potential.  Umude also seems like he could find a role in a shooting lineup situation as he has been money from deep this year at 51.9% (obviously not a huge sample, but just under 2 shots in 15 games isn't nothing either).

I like the trade, but I think the thought that a rookie point guard could replace Pritchard is a bit silly. Experience is a key factor. Pritchard has developed quite a bit.

You replace Pritchard with Holiday, White, Brown, and Tatum as primary ball-handlers, and Hauser and Svi as shooters.
Pritchard is barely going to play in the playoffs though anyway. And Sasser as a rookie on a bad team, plays less minutes, but scores more on significantly better shooting from every spot on the floor.  Better AST% as well.  He was also a 4 year starter in college so he isn't that raw. Pritchard is better right now, but at the 2 things you really want from a bench guard, Sasser does better.
I don't see how you reach that conclusion. He is currently 1st guard off the bench.
PG - Jrue 36, White 12
SG - White 26, Brown 22
SF - Brown 18, Tatum 20, Hauser 10
PF - Tatum 20, Zinger 28
C - Zinger 10, Horford 30, Kornet 8

Perfectly reasonable playoff rotation. Now Hauser or Kornet's minutes could go to PP or it could be matchup dependent, but I'm not expecting consistent minutes from him with playoff minutes from the top 6.

Pritchard was in a similar role during the 2021-2022 postseason run, and he averaged around 12 minutes a game. I agree he won't get 12 minutes a game but he might still be an 8-10 minute-consistent player. Sorry but if you're relying on Kornet for about 8 minutes a game against Giannis/Embiid/Turner/Bam you're toast lol
It is marchup dependent. Against the Bucks, I want Tatum at SF as much as possible. We can't have him or Brown guarding Giannis for any extended period of time. Have to play 2 bigs against them.  Against the Sixers we can go smaller as I have no issue with Tatum on Harris.  So Pritchard would play more in that series and Kornet less. 

White only played 25 mpg in the playoffs in 22, he should be up over 36 this year, which is basically the 13 minutes PP played.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2023, 01:58:04 PM »

Offline Chef Parish

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 1673
 Some people feel they need to trade for someone but don't realize how difficult that is with the financial situation the Celtics are in. And the players that "could" be traded for/etc aren't pushing the needle past players who have built chemistry and know the system.

What the Celtics need to do instead is stay as healthy as possible (days off/load management - both season and games).

« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2023, 04:57:50 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 622
Some people feel they need to trade for someone but don't realize how difficult that is with the financial situation the Celtics are in. And the players that "could" be traded for/etc aren't pushing the needle past players who have built chemistry and know the system.

What the Celtics need to do instead is stay as healthy as possible (days off/load management - both season and games).

This