Author Topic: Would Poku be a good fit for the Celtics?  (Read 1732 times)

Would Poku be a good fit for the Celtics?
« on: November 20, 2023, 09:16:54 AM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
What do you guys think of Aleksej Pokusevski? He wasn’t given an extension by OKC and will enter restricted free agency. He has just recently returned from injury but is basically out of OKC’s rotation. He seems to have bulked up and looks to be over his injuries. Should Brad take a swing at him? At what cost? He could be a nice piece off the bench.

Re: Would Poku be a good fit for the Celtics?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2023, 09:26:27 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
He should be someone we explore for the minimum next summer.  He will not get a qualifying offer from OKC, nor likely any team he’s traded to, and will be available in July.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2023, 09:57:38 AM by Celtics2021 »

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2023, 10:53:06 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Yes please
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2023, 11:26:55 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
At about $5M, he would fit our TPE.  He has had a pretty unimpressive career so far, at least statistically, doesn't seem like he can shoot.  I don't remember seeing him play.  If he is a solid defense and rebounding type, the lack of offense may not be so much of an issue but I get the feeling he is just not that good at all.

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2023, 12:39:55 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
For a couple of 2nd's into the TPE, I'd do that. Not sure I'd do it for a 1st, but maybe if there wasn't much of a market.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2023, 12:42:43 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
For a couple of 2nd's into the TPE, I'd do that. Not sure I'd do it for a 1st, but maybe if there wasn't much of a market.

His on-off last year, on a mediocre team, was -17.3. That’s seems like a very high valuation by you of a player who looks very bad by standards your often cite.  And he’s an expiring to boot.

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2023, 04:55:30 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

His on-off last year, on a mediocre team, was -17.3. That’s seems like a very high valuation by you of a player who looks very bad by standards your often cite.  And he’s an expiring to boot.
on/off differential is really only is a viable metric for the top players on a team since those are the players that really matter to wins and losses.  Guys playing 20 mpg in half the games are not the type of player to use that for.

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2023, 05:07:20 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
He's slow, his shot release is low, he falls back instead of through his shots, and he gets out of control instead of moving the ball when stuck.
ok fine

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2023, 05:08:05 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

on/off differential is really only is a viable metric for the top players on a team since those are the players that really matter to wins and losses.  Guys playing 20 mpg in half the games are not the type of player to use that for.

He started 25 games — there’s a reason he didn’t get more minutes.  His net rating was almost 10 points worse than the next lowest player on the Thunder — he was uniquely terrible for them.

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2023, 08:32:35 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

He started 25 games — there’s a reason he didn’t get more minutes.  His net rating was almost 10 points worse than the next lowest player on the Thunder — he was uniquely terrible for them.
Or that is just what he is as a player. The year before he was +7.3 and also only played 20 mpg.  It just isn't a reliable metric for the guys that aren't the key players. For the Thunder last year that would have been SGA, Giddey, Dort, and Jalen Williams.  This year for the Thunder it is those 4, plus Chet.  SGA is the guy that makes that team work.  Without him, they'd be terrible.

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2023, 09:38:39 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
He'll be out of the NBA in another year. No thank you.