Author Topic: Would you trade Jaylen for this  (Read 4119 times)

Re: Would you trade Jaylen for this
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2023, 09:58:52 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
Yeah, I think some of you guys are underrating Thompson and Sengun and fixating a little too much on the Vanvleet part of the deal. My assumption is Vanvleet would be flipped if something like this ever happened, but it's moot because Houston wouldn't do this anyway.

I also think some fans are being a little naive about dealing Jaylen. This team is going to become really expensive and they only have so many tradeable contracts. Trading Brown wouldn't be a horrible idea if they got younger and cheaper pieces who are still improving as opposed to already finished products.

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2023, 12:31:10 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
the funny thing is, for as much hate as brown is getting on this board

hes averaging 23ppg on 46.7% shooting and 38.2% from 3 on the season. the way some fans talk about him you would think hes an absolute bum.

I mean we know he's very very good. It's why Houston would probably do the deal, he's just an enigma. You can't quite put your finger on it, but some deep basketball sense tells me he's just doesn't get it.

Hard to explain what's missing with JB except to say BBIQ. Just thought he was so Raw coming out of Cal and some of those same traits are still present.

Insightful and well said. Something just has never clicked with him and he continues to be a black hole for the ball too much of the time.
Most fans like Jaylen and his talent is not in question, but he just keeps doing some of the same dumb things on the court year after year.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2023, 06:21:44 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Not sure I'd trade Sengun for Jaylen if I were Houston.

Once again Who gets it. I'm trying to steal Sengun now before he totally blows up. Can't believe we could have him over Horford in hindsight.

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2023, 06:22:26 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
the funny thing is, for as much hate as brown is getting on this board

hes averaging 23ppg on 46.7% shooting and 38.2% from 3 on the season. the way some fans talk about him you would think hes an absolute bum.

I mean we know he's very very good. It's why Houston would probably do the deal, he's just an enigma. You can't quite put your finger on it, but some deep basketball sense tells me he's just doesn't get it.

Hard to explain what's missing with JB except to say BBIQ. Just thought he was so Raw coming out of Cal and some of those same traits are still present.

Insightful and well said. Something just has never clicked with him and he continues to be a black hole for the ball too much of the time.
Most fans like Jaylen and his talent is not in question, but he just keeps doing some of the same dumb things on the court year after year.

TP Smoothie for the nice compliment.

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2023, 09:11:36 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Yeah, I think some of you guys are underrating Thompson and Sengun and fixating a little too much on the Vanvleet part of the deal. My assumption is Vanvleet would be flipped if something like this ever happened, but it's moot because Houston wouldn't do this anyway.

I also think some fans are being a little naive about dealing Jaylen. This team is going to become really expensive and they only have so many tradeable contracts. Trading Brown wouldn't be a horrible idea if they got younger and cheaper pieces who are still improving as opposed to already finished products.

This is also moot because Jaylen can't be traded this season after signing a supermax, but it's definitely interesting as a thought exercise. If you look at our cap situation next season:

If you take away our cap holds we're going to be right at or over the 2nd apron next season with 11 committed salaries. They will probably work to renegotiate a Holiday extension downwards the way they did with KP, but Derrick's extension will probably trend upward. Then you have JT's extension the following season. I think staying below the 2nd apron next season would be incredibly difficult, meaning they would have to double down on the team they have since they will be hit with all the roster building penalties, inability to aggregate salaries in trades, loss of the exceptions, etc.

If we did trade JT end of season I think we would have no shortage of takers for a player of his caliber. I think financially it will be an inevitability...carrying two supermax guys along with other guys getting paid $30m+ just isn't feasible. Even if Wyc was willing to pay the tax like Lacob and Ballmer have been for years, the roster building penalties would become too crippling as the team ages and it becomes very hard to refresh the team.

So basically the window is NOW  :police:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2023, 10:32:16 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

This is also moot because Jaylen can't be traded this season after signing a supermax, but it's definitely interesting as a thought exercise. If you look at our cap situation next season:

If you take away our cap holds we're going to be right at or over the 2nd apron next season with 11 committed salaries. They will probably work to renegotiate a Holiday extension downwards the way they did with KP, but Derrick's extension will probably trend upward. Then you have JT's extension the following season. I think staying below the 2nd apron next season would be incredibly difficult, meaning they would have to double down on the team they have since they will be hit with all the roster building penalties, inability to aggregate salaries in trades, loss of the exceptions, etc.

If we did trade JT end of season I think we would have no shortage of takers for a player of his caliber. I think financially it will be an inevitability...carrying two supermax guys along with other guys getting paid $30m+ just isn't feasible. Even if Wyc was willing to pay the tax like Lacob and Ballmer have been for years, the roster building penalties would become too crippling as the team ages and it becomes very hard to refresh the team.

Nate Duncan of the Dunc'd On Podcast has been saying for months that it is a foregone conclusion that Jaylen Brown will be dealt within 2 years simply because of the tax and roster implications.

I think that when the time comes it will be viewed as a win win win. Win for Boston since Jaylen should cary enough value at that point to bring back a great return. Win for Jaylen because he secured his supermax and can now  finally step out of Tatum's shadow and take the reigns as the undisputed primary scorer of this new team. Win for Tatum because the FO can now finally build the roster to 100% compliment Tatum's skillset. Replacing Jaylen with an offball catch and shoot wing would mean that Tatum can simply focus on attacking every game supported by the option to kick out to either Porzingis, Holiday, White, or the new player.

It is no slight to Jaylen to consider trading him this offseason. It's not about his fit or his perceived contract overpayment. It just might finally be time for all sides to move on to the next chapter.

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2023, 10:38:04 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

Nate Duncan of the Dunc'd On Podcast has been saying for months that it is a foregone conclusion that Jaylen Brown will be dealt within 2 years simply because of the tax and roster implications.

I think that when the time comes it will be viewed as a win win win. Win for Boston since Jaylen should cary enough value at that point to bring back a great return. Win for Jaylen because he secured his supermax and can now  finally step out of Tatum's shadow and take the reigns as the undisputed primary scorer of this new team. Win for Tatum because the FO can now finally build the roster to 100% compliment Tatum's skillset. Replacing Jaylen with an offball catch and shoot wing would mean that Tatum can simply focus on attacking every game supported by the option to kick out to either Porzingis, Holiday, White, or the new player.

It is no slight to Jaylen to consider trading him this offseason. It's not about his fit or his perceived contract overpayment. It just might finally be time for all sides to move on to the next chapter.

Yup, as soon as they gave him the supermax I saw him as the main avenue to try to eventually get us under the cap via trade. Which is why they had to do it, even though everyone's opinion is that it's an overpay. Better to overpay a fungible asset than lose him for nothing. And as you said it would be a win win for everyone. It also means this season is the window for the Jays to win a title together.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2023, 10:49:24 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

Yup, as soon as they gave him the supermax I saw him as the main avenue to try to eventually get us under the cap via trade. Which is why they had to do it, even though everyone's opinion is that it's an overpay. Better to overpay a fungible asset than lose him for nothing. And as you said it would be a win win for everyone. It also means this season is the window for the Jays to win a title together.
This is more to the difficulty in replacing Holiday and Horford, I imagine. And I don't think the cost of doing business necessitates the overpay designation.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2023, 12:49:48 PM »

Offline Celtics978Fan

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 23
I wasn't interested in trading for Van Fleet but it does make it easy cap wise. It's a much easier trade with Fred involved.  It could be as easy as Fred, Amen Thompson,  and Sengun For Brown and Prichard.  Some draft capital coming back to Boston.

Now does that make us better, and would the next move be to flip Van Fleet for assets that better fit the team.

Sengun is avg 19ppg 8rpg 6apg shooting 62% and he's 21 years old.  We were going to take him #16 was the word but traded for Horford.

Don't get me wrong I love the idea of trade Brown for multiple pieces.  Green and Sengun are two players I'd love to see the Celtics get but the Rockets have found a great mix of Vets and a young core.  Plus the addition of Brown to them doesn't make them better or a swap we might lose a little now btu have upside.  In order to trade Brown you need to find a team that's needing a player like Brown.  I have thought of a couple trades that this would happen more likely cause of how I'm seeing trading Brown would take. 

Celtics - Jaylen Brown
Spurs - Keldon Johnson, Jeremy Sochan, Two 1st round picks

Brown gives the Spurs an all-star to pair with Wemba.  Johnson is a lot cheaper version of Brown, younger, still improving, protects the ball better, averages 22 ppg so not losing the scoring really.  Sochan gives us a young big to use off the bench and could start when needed.  At 20 years old he could be a corner stone for us and instant replacement for Horford to put next to Porzi.  The two 1st gives us trade bait or even can use to help us build. 

Celtics - Jaylen Brown, Payton Pritchard
Magic - Franz Wagner, Wendell Carter Jr., Markelle Fultz, 1st round

Brown gives them a star next to Banchero which would be a nice 1-2 combo.  Wagner I think in the Celtics system would be a better fit next to Tatum and Porzi.  Carter Jr would be huge as a backup/starter and when Horford goes, Carter Jr. would only be 26 years old and is a version of Horford for the long term.  Fultz becomes an upgrade over Pritchard even though Fultz is only one year but would be able to resign I'm sure. 

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2023, 04:25:53 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 629
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
If we do actually need to trade JB, I love the Orlando deal above for Franz, WCJ and Fultz, but I doubt the Magic deal three starters from an extremely young team currently in a playoff spot for JB. That would be an incredible deal though.

If JB is traded next offseason he will likely be a semi distressed asset. The deal I’ve thought about is with the Nets for Bridges, DFS and pieces. It’s not sexy but Bridges is a stud and both are low usage wings who play great defense and can hit 3’s at a high rate.

I’m not saying I want to trade JB by any means, but I think if we’re in the position where it’s the right move, he won’t fetch as much as we’d like. Otherwise, we wouldn’t trade him.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2023, 05:05:38 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
If we do actually need to trade JB, I love the Orlando deal above for Franz, WCJ and Fultz, but I doubt the Magic deal three starters from an extremely young team currently in a playoff spot for JB. That would be an incredible deal though.

If JB is traded next offseason he will likely be a semi distressed asset. The deal I’ve thought about is with the Nets for Bridges, DFS and pieces. It’s not sexy but Bridges is a stud and both are low usage wings who play great defense and can hit 3’s at a high rate.

I’m not saying I want to trade JB by any means, but I think if we’re in the position where it’s the right move, he won’t fetch as much as we’d like. Otherwise, we wouldn’t trade him.

Same here.  Happy to see him win at title in Boston, but at the moment, feeling more like a I agree with Perk that he is not quite the right complement to JT.  If Jaylen has a great year, but the playoffs don't go well for him, then I'll be ready to trade him, basically because of fit and because that's enough tries with Jalyen and Jason as a tandem.  As a guy who was a huge fan of James Posey, the idea of getting DFS plus Mikal Bridges sounds great to me.  And if Jaylen has a great year we would deserve a first rounder too, which would be great, as we are not so deep right now.

Edit: but more likely if traded Jaylen would go to a win now team...at least not a super young team, unless it's one of those places that eaily attracts star free agents..
« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 05:53:04 PM by wiley »

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2023, 12:02:55 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
You know what would have been nice? If we didn’t trade Şengün to dump Kemba

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2023, 12:14:21 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
You know what would have been nice? If we didn’t trade Şengün to dump Kemba

And then we also don’t get four years of Al, and instead have two years of a cooked Kemba on the books.  Sometimes a trade can work for both sides.

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2023, 09:35:49 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Yeah, I'm a no!

#JKJB
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2023, 12:53:50 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
If Cleveland doesn't do well this year, I think there is an avenue there for Brown.  Garland and Strus for Brown makes sense for both teams. Cavs would probably rather trade Mitchell, but I'd rather have Garland.  If Mitchell would do an extend and trade, I'd be more open to that.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip