Author Topic: NBA Lottery: Tues 8:30 PM EST on ESPN  (Read 28553 times)

Re: NBA Lottery: Tues 8:30 PM EST on ESPN
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2019, 10:59:16 AM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Imagine this board if first envelope is shown and no Sacramento! 15 minutes of high level stress and praying it is not number 1! I am hoping we have that kind of 15 minutes tonight as we slide into the 2 spot.

Worst case is Knicks getting the first or 2nd pick, Kings ending up in slot 1 or Lakers ending up in the top 4 as well. Both would alter NO and Davis situation for us.

« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2019, 11:04:25 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
it should be fun, though the drama could be over, or pitched, early on when the 14th pick is announced.

oh, and for those interested, while late-first and second rounders are overwhelmingly nobodies, there are always a few good players that emerge. as recent examples:

* 2017: John Collins at No. 19, Kuzma at No. 27, Sterling Brown at No. 46, Monte Morris at No. 52.

* 2016: LeVert at No. 20, Siakam at No. 27, Dejounte Murray at No. 29, Brogdon at No. 36.

* 2015: Devin Booker at No. 13, Bobby Portis at No. 22, Larry Nance Jr. at No. 27, Kevon Looney at No. 30, Montrezl Harrell at No. 32, Pat Connaughton at No. 41, Norman Powell at No. 46.

* 2014: TJ Warren at No. 14, Gary Harris at No. 19, Clint Capela at No. 25, Joe Harris at No. 33, Spencer Dinwiddie at No. 36, Jokic at No. 41, Jordan Clarkson at No. 46.

and before anyone chirps in with the tired cliche of "why didnt ainge see these players?" the well worn and accurate response is NO ONE saw many of these hidden jewels. this is why it is such a story when one of them makes a splash in the nba.

after the first few picks, it more hit and miss, more art than science. though historically, ainge has done better than the nba average in later picks in the first round.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 11:10:40 AM by hwangjini_1 »
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2019, 11:05:47 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
So tonight we end up with pick number 2 and pick number 9.

« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2019, 11:12:02 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • bammokja
So tonight we end up with pick number 2 and pick number 9.
or, #14 instead. it should be very interesting tonight. i would not be surprised to have ainge bundle picks to move up in the draft in many scenarios.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Re: NBA Lottery, May 14th: On-Stage Participants
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2019, 11:35:47 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2019, 11:38:14 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Do we want the Memphis Pick to convey? I'd rather let it roll into 2020 (or 2021) but I guess pick #9 wouldn't be terrible either especially in a *potential* AD trade package

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2019, 11:40:46 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • bammokja
just to prepare us all for the probable, but undesirable, event that the celtics wind up with the #14 pick, there is this news i just read over on SoSH.

"...the highest drafted player that will suit up in the Eastern Conference Finals was Brook Lopez at tenth overall.  Pau Gasol is the only pick higher at number 3, and he's not playing."

amazing. so all is not lost for the celtics even if they only pick at #14.  ;D

- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2019, 11:45:50 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
it should be fun, though the drama could be over, or pitched, early on when the 14th pick is announced.

oh, and for those interested, while late-first and second rounders are overwhelmingly nobodies, there are always a few good players that emerge. as recent examples:

* 2017: John Collins at No. 19, Kuzma at No. 27, Sterling Brown at No. 46, Monte Morris at No. 52.

* 2016: LeVert at No. 20, Siakam at No. 27, Dejounte Murray at No. 29, Brogdon at No. 36.

* 2015: Devin Booker at No. 13, Bobby Portis at No. 22, Larry Nance Jr. at No. 27, Kevon Looney at No. 30, Montrezl Harrell at No. 32, Pat Connaughton at No. 41, Norman Powell at No. 46.

* 2014: TJ Warren at No. 14, Gary Harris at No. 19, Clint Capela at No. 25, Joe Harris at No. 33, Spencer Dinwiddie at No. 36, Jokic at No. 41, Jordan Clarkson at No. 46.

and before anyone chirps in with the tired cliche of "why didnt ainge see these players?" the well worn and accurate response is NO ONE saw many of these hidden jewels. this is why it is such a story when one of them makes a splash in the nba.

after the first few picks, it more hit and miss, more art than science. though historically, ainge has done better than the nba average in later picks in the first round.
"No one" should be no GM. Plenty of those guys listed were picked as binkies on here alone.

On the other side of the argument I truly think No one other than C's management had Rozier and Yab as mid first picks.

« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2019, 12:07:39 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Keep in mind that if one of the teams before the 9th pick jumps up, that significantly increases the chance of the Memphis pick conveying

« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2019, 12:30:57 PM »

Online libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Interesting scenario if the first card they turn over is not Sacto/Boston.  When it comes to #4 do we root for that to be Boston or not, because each time we don't get the pick 4, then 3, .... there is a higher chance that it goes #1 to Philly.  So, when would you start hoping it's Boston?

« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2019, 12:48:34 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • bammokja

"No one" should be no GM. Plenty of those guys listed were picked as binkies on here alone.

On the other side of the argument I truly think No one other than C's management had Rozier and Yab as mid first picks.
i am not sure of your point in terms of how it would have affected the celtics drafting? are you suggesting ainge should pay attention to the opinions here before he makes any draft picks?

by the way, for all those who did choose those players, how many people here did not, or, picked a non-factor? it works both ways.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2019, 01:03:20 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Of course - if you throw enough **** at the wall, some of it is bound to stick. Every high-ceiling player in the draft gets picked as somebody's binkie, and the vast majority don't work out. People just focus on the ones that do
I'm bitter.

« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2019, 01:04:56 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Do we want the Memphis Pick to convey? I'd rather let it roll into 2020 (or 2021) but I guess pick #9 wouldn't be terrible either especially in a *potential* AD trade package

The salary would be great for matching in an AD trade, but it's probably a better trade chip if it doesn't convey
I'm bitter.

« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2019, 01:04:57 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
just to prepare us all for the probable, but undesirable, event that the celtics wind up with the #14 pick, there is this news i just read over on SoSH.

"...the highest drafted player that will suit up in the Eastern Conference Finals was Brook Lopez at tenth overall.  Pau Gasol is the only pick higher at number 3, and he's not playing."

amazing. so all is not lost for the celtics even if they only pick at #14.  ;D
oddly enough, the C's had a #1 and 3 #3's in their starting line-up.   :P

« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2019, 01:18:46 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Rooting for ATL CHI or NYK to get #1

I hope Atlanta gets it. Trae and Zion would be an insane duo. Add in Collins. It'd be an instant League Pass favorite.

Yeah Highlight reel with Trae’s passing. Would be great after the Iso Joe era