Author Topic: Early thoughts on the Cetlics 2019 draft  (Read 7491 times)

Re: Early thoughts on the Cetlics 2019 draft
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2019, 06:40:11 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Having caught up with a lot more prospect during the tournament the following is my updated tiers

Tier   Player
1   Z Williamson

2   J Morant
2   RJ Barrett

3   J Culver
3   C Reddish
3   D Hunter
3   D Garland

4   J Hayes
4   Bol Bol * medicals are huge for him
4   B Clarke
4   N Little
4   S Doumbouya
4   KZ Okpala
4   R Langford
4   N Alexander-Walker
4   Coby White
4   K Johnson

5   R Hachimura
5   Talen Horton-Tucker
5   Louis King
5   Matisse Thybulle

5   Cameron Johnson

6   Dylan Windler
6   Bruno Fernando
6   Grant Williams
6   PJ Washington
6   Admiral Schofield
6   Tyler Hero

7   Tre Jones
7   Dedric Lawson
7   Carsen Edwards
7   Goga Bitadze
7   Daniel Gafford
7   Shamorie Ponds
7   Kevin Porter Jr
7   Chalres Bassey
7   Kris Wilkes
7   Deividas Sirvydis

put in bold the guys who I think could be a great value and are "my guys" in this draft.

Tier 4 and 5 im still not sold on and might great into another Tier. Clarke and Okpala I might break out into a higher tier above the rest of tier 4.

Tiers 6 and 7 are pretty fliud with 6 being guys I really feel confident have high enough floors not to fail
I would include a Tier 1A and put Ja Morant in it. He is clearly a better prospect than Barrett.

I think you might be a little too optimistic on Bol Bol's limitations due to injuries/body type as well as the possibilities that in interviews he won't come off as not being that thrilled with playing basketball. I think there is a good chance he falls to the 18-25 area of the draft.

I don't think you have Hachimura as high as he should be. He is older but I think he has a good game to be a strong stretch 4. I think he has top ten potential. Lottery pick at minimum.

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2019, 06:43:06 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Having caught up with a lot more prospect during the tournament the following is my updated tiers

Tier   Player
1   Z Williamson

2   J Morant
2   RJ Barrett

3   J Culver
3   C Reddish
3   D Hunter
3   D Garland

4   J Hayes
4   B Clarke
4   N Little
4   S Doumbouya
4   KZ Okpala
4   R Langford
4   N Alexander-Walker
4   Coby White
4   K Johnson

5   R Hachimura
5   Talen Horton-Tucker
5   Louis King
5   Matisse Thybulle

5   Cameron Johnson

6   Dylan Windler
6   Bruno Fernando
6   Grant Williams
6   PJ Washington
6   Admiral Schofield
6   Tyler Hero

7   Tre Jones
7   Dedric Lawson
7   Carsen Edwards
7   Goga Bitadze
7   Daniel Gafford
7   Shamorie Ponds
7   Kevin Porter Jr
7   Chalres Bassey
7   Kris Wilkes
7   Deividas Sirvydis

put in bold the guys who I think could be a great value and are "my guys" in this draft.

Tier 4 and 5 im still not sold on and might great into another Tier. Clarke and Okpala I might break out into a higher tier above the rest of tier 4.

Tiers 6 and 7 are pretty fliud with 6 being guys I really feel confident have high enough floors not to fail

I think Reddish is ranked too high and Little too low

otherwise looks good

I may create a tier between my current 3/4 for reddish, little and Clarke.

My logic in ranking reddish higher is his potential positional value. At 6’i-6’9 with a 7’1 wingspan and the potential to be a good outside shooter he profiles to have a high positional value. Ever team is looking for 3/4 type wings who they can “small ball” with while still retaining height and length on the court. I see him as a future Jeff green/H Barnes/ R gay type wing.

Little worries me because his physical profile should have led to more in court production. Much like Stanley Johnson he looks the part of an elite NBA prospect in every way except production. With that he also could prove to have a Jaylen Brown like rise and be one of the 3 best in this class a few years from now.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2019, 06:49:53 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

Tier   Player
1   Z Williamson

2   J Morant
2   RJ Barrett

3   J Culver
3   C Reddish
3   D Hunter
3   D Garland

4   J Hayes
4   B Clarke
4   N Little
4   S Doumbouya
4   KZ Okpala
4   R Langford
4   N Alexander-Walker
4   Coby White
4   K Johnson

5   R Hachimura
5   Talen Horton-Tucker
5   Louis King
5   Matisse Thybulle

5   Cameron Johnson

6   Dylan Windler
6   Bruno Fernando
6   Grant Williams
6   PJ Washington
6   Admiral Schofield
6   Tyler Hero

7   Tre Jones
7   Dedric Lawson
7   Carsen Edwards
7   Goga Bitadze
7   Daniel Gafford
7   Shamorie Ponds
7   Kevin Porter Jr
7   Chalres Bassey
7   Kris Wilkes
7   Deividas Sirvydis

I would include a Tier 1A and put Ja Morant in it. He is clearly a better prospect than Barrett.

I think you might be a little too optimistic on Bol Bol's limitations due to injuries/body type as well as the possibilities that in interviews he won't come off as not being that thrilled with playing basketball. I think there is a good chance he falls to the 18-25 area of the draft.

I don't think you have Hachimura as high as he should be. He is older but I think he has a good game to be a strong stretch 4. I think he has top ten potential. Lottery pick at minimum.

I think for most teams Morant goes over Barrett but never over Zion. If a team with a clear franchise PG (ATL) has the second pick I wouldn’t hesitate to take Barret. He has his issues but is really young, has great positional size/athleticism, and was very productive on a good team.

I agree Bol Bol likely slips into the mid to late 1st but in terms of ranking him I kept him up higher because he is rediculously talented and would be tier 2 if healthy.

Hachimura scares me. I worry that he is Derrick Williams, a player who is bigger and stronger then players in college but lacks the b-ball IQ and clear NBA skill to thrive in the NBA. He could be the kind of guy who dominates summer leagues but never really fits in a roster. His 3pt shot will be the big deciding factor for him.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2019, 07:21:09 PM »

Offline ConnerHenry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59
Surprised to see Porter on the list -- due to injury history and conduct issues

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2019, 07:50:25 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Bol, Bassey and Luka have my interest

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2019, 07:50:37 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
Surprised to see Porter on the list -- due to injury history and conduct issues

Isn’t on my latest tiers.  Now I think he goes second round to a team that has time and roster space to let him get healthy
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2019, 08:24:09 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Count me on the Coby White train. He plays like a "jitterbug" but hes a legit 6'4/6'5. Only knock I've truly seen on the kid is that he has short arms.

He was able to run the UNC offense as a freshman. That doesn't happen. And he has a nice dribble and is a sniper. (Plus I'm a fan of an afro.)
#JKJB

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2019, 08:29:10 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
If we end up drafting bol, id like to keep one of williams or bol if we end up trading for Davis

Would be nice to have one nice young high potential center to learn off the bench to learn from davis

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2019, 08:42:13 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
Count me on the Coby White train. He plays like a "jitterbug" but hes a legit 6'4/6'5. Only knock I've truly seen on the kid is that he has short arms.

He was able to run the UNC offense as a freshman. That doesn't happen. And he has a nice dribble and is a sniper. (Plus I'm a fan of an afro.)

I like white but feel who ever drafts him will be disappointed. I think he better fits the NBA as a 3rd guard coming off bench providing instant offense and being the focal point of the second unit. I  see him in the mold of A Rivers, J Clarkson or Jamal Crawford.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2019, 09:00:40 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Pass on Bol...foot injury with a 7-3 feller is usually career threating...get Tyler Herro..could be another Booker
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2019, 11:52:59 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
No more guards who take 5 years to develop a semi-reliable outside shot, and no more undersized bigs. Please find the next Steven Adams.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2019, 11:55:29 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
pass on White

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2019, 12:02:22 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Nassir Little declared.

I hope the Pels like him.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2019, 07:37:18 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

I like white but feel who ever drafts him will be disappointed. I think he better fits the NBA as a 3rd guard coming off bench providing instant offense and being the focal point of the second unit. I  see him in the mold of A Rivers, J Clarkson or Jamal Crawford.

I see a ton of Jamal Crawford in his game. His handle isn't as good, and he is about an inch shorter than Jamal, but his shooting is fantastic. I think Jamal Crawford or Louis Williams starting their career in 2019 would have a bit of a different trajectory given the modern game. I also think he is a very solid playmaker.
#JKJB

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2019, 09:10:10 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
Pass on Bol...foot injury with a 7-3 feller is usually career threating...get Tyler Herro..could be another Booker

I agree Bol may not be a great pick for the Cs given his long term health risks. With that if the medical staff thinks there is a greater then 50% chance that he has a healthy career the risk may be work it.

I do think he makes a lot of sense for the Pelicans if they make an AD trade with the Celtics. If they end up with their pick #8 and the #14+#21 from the celtics then taking the gamble with one of the later two picks is well worth the risk.

In the 9 games Bol played this year his shooting stats where very impressive and if healthy he could be a tougher version of Porzingis.   
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet