Author Topic: Clues from interviews regarding the draft pick situation  (Read 857 times)

Clues from interviews regarding the draft pick situation
« on: May 24, 2014, 12:13:53 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Some interesting tid bits gathered from interviews(Ainge, Wyc, Stevens)  as of late that could provide clues as to what to expect from the draft situation

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/2014/05/danny_ainge_celtics_will_explore_trading_draft_picks.html

Danny

Q:What kind of player can you get at 6th pick? Someone who could be a starter next year?
A:"Probably not. This group of guys is very young in this draft. Some are more ready to play than others. That won't have much of an effect on who we draft, based on their immediate ability to impact our team, but there are some [players] that will be more ready to play than others. I don't know who will be available at the sixth pick. Time will tell."

my comment:  Looks like a 90 percent chance that the 6th pick will be coming off the bench. Not a big surprise

Q:On whether dropping to sixth overall pick will affect team?s decision making going forward:
A:"We would have tried to do something with the pick [no matter where it landed], including keep the pick. We are still in the same boat now, we just have less value now. There is less value in the sixth pick compared to a one or two pick, but we will try to make the best choice. We will have to see what value that pick has around the league and at the same time, we will be evaluating all the players. Usually, people don?t trade those picks, but we will look at all of those options."

My comment: Even though there has been obvious clues that the team will explore to trade the pick, it's not absolute they will do so.  See Wyc's comment below

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/05/21/wyc-grousbeck-says-celtics-will-like-guy-get/iZuVuEuM2Q5iW0ktVYqJQM/story.html

Wyc

"Danny [Ainge] likes a bunch of guys in this draft," Grousbeck told the Globe. "Our pick is going to put us in that range. Danny is going to like the guy we get. In other words, Danny likes six guys in this draft " well, he likes more than six " but we?ll be all right.
"We've done this before, and 6 and 17 isn't a bad way to start rebuilding."

Q: Does that mean the Celtics plan on using that No. 6 pick as opposed to trading it ? say, as part of a package . . . perhaps to Minnesota for Kevin Love?

A: I"m assuming for now we'll keep it," Grousbeck said. "I'm sure the phone will ring a thousand times between now and draft day, and that's the fun of it.

My comment: Wyc thinks the pick will be kept for now.  I'm sure he will change his mind later with new info. But it's not like he is pursuing/made it public to trade the pick unlike say the Kings

http://www.csnne.com/blog/celtics-talk/celtics-including-stevens-draft-talk

Brad

"They've included me on everything," "I don't know if that's just to include me, or it's because I have a little more insight than maybe a typical NBA coach would on these individuals coming out."
"Danny knows me," Stevens said. "Danny knows how we want to play both ends of the floor.

My comment:  Imo Danny likes certain type of players and Stevens does also. Danny doesn't care about age as much, like scoring potential, toughness, athleticism.  Stevens likes shooters, passing and defensive skills, maturity, takes care of the ball.   I wonder if Danny will forget or put less value of the type of player he is looking for and give what Stevens wants. KO for example i'm guessing was a pick made for BS and his system. (when was the last time Danny has drafted a guy like KO that high before?)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 12:21:35 PM by triboy16f »