Author Topic: Tatum recruiting Harry Giles?  (Read 4010 times)

Tatum recruiting Harry Giles?
« on: October 26, 2020, 03:14:16 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
https://heavy.com/sports/boston-celtics/jayson-tatum-social-media-post-is-tatum-recruiting-for-celtics/

A few days ago Tatum posted a Giles highlight reel mix on his twitter page.   Giles helped Duke recruit Tatum.  There is also the Giles and Grant Williams connection from HS

Giles is a UFA and looks like has recovered from the horrible injury he was dealing with several years ago

It would be cool to sign him.   3 year 15 million deal for example

Re: Tatum recruiting Harry Giles?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 03:16:14 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 03:21:53 PM by Tr1boy »

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 03:25:40 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
If we don’t do any trades, I would sign Giles..he would not have to play major minutes
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 03:29:14 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
If we don’t do any trades, I would sign Giles..he would not have to play major minutes

You don't mean Hayward for Turner do you?

I rather sign Giles. 

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 03:37:44 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Would rather spend the $$ on Baynes, or even Thompson.  We need muscle.

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 03:43:43 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
$5 million a year for Harry Giles? A guy Sacramento decided wasn't good enough to keep at $3.97 million?

Giles won't be looking at much more than the vet minimum, IMHO!

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2020, 03:47:22 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
$5 million a year for Harry Giles? A guy Sacramento decided wasn't good enough to keep at $3.97 million?

So what do you think it would take?

If Kanter opts out and Celts dont pickup option on Theis. Thats 10million

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2020, 03:56:58 PM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73

You don't mean Hayward for Turner do you?

I rather sign Giles.

If Hayward is still on the roster next season, he and Giles could be rehab buddies after they both get hurt in pre-season

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2020, 03:58:15 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104

That’s interesting from Tatum. But he’d probably post that just to help regardless of where he goes. I’m with some others thinking there are better guys we can get. Obviously I could be wrong but I imagine him as situational and I’m not SURE he’ll be better than Rob Williams by the end of NEXT season. I’d imagine Giles would be better. But I’m not SURE.
   We all hope we end up with the full mid level instead of the tax payer. I feel Baynes is better fit but WOULD have to be the full mid level. If we strike out and Baynes is elsewhere anyways I’m thinking Tristan Thompson. After that I start thinking maybe this money can be spent in a difference maker elsewhere despite our need of help down low.
  What ever money we have I really think we can count on the addition to be a player that can be ON the floor at the end of an elimination game. I don’t think Ainge would spend even tax payer on a guy that couldn’t hit a free throw to save his life, can’t guard the pick and roll at all. The guy we pick up does t HAVE to finish games but he needs to be ABLE to without hurting us.

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2020, 04:16:16 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

That’s interesting from Tatum. But he’d probably post that just to help regardless of where he goes. I’m with some others thinking there are better guys we can get. Obviously I could be wrong but I imagine him as situational and I’m not SURE he’ll be better than Rob Williams by the end of NEXT season. I’d imagine Giles would be better. But I’m not SURE.
   We all hope we end up with the full mid level instead of the tax payer. I feel Baynes is better fit but WOULD have to be the full mid level. If we strike out and Baynes is elsewhere anyways I’m thinking Tristan Thompson. After that I start thinking maybe this money can be spent in a difference maker elsewhere despite our need of help down low.
  What ever money we have I really think we can count on the addition to be a player that can be ON the floor at the end of an elimination game. I don’t think Ainge would spend even tax payer on a guy that couldn’t hit a free throw to save his life, can’t guard the pick and roll at all. The guy we pick up does t HAVE to finish games but he needs to be ABLE to without hurting us.

Giles has a higher IQ than Timelord. Lets not forget he was considered a #1 pick before his knee injury in college

He is not one dimensional and can do many things on the court. Plus is 6'10 and still has good explosiveness

His health may still not be 100 percent, example cant play a ton of mins etc. But also like Porter Jr. And Embiid, looks like has recovered nicely from a career threatening health situation

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2020, 04:37:05 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Giles has a higher IQ than Timelord. Lets not forget he was considered a #1 pick before his knee injury in college

He is not one dimensional and can do many things on the court. Plus is 6'10 and still has good explosiveness

His health may still not be 100 percent, example cant play a ton of mins etc. But also like Porter Jr. And Embiid, looks like has recovered nicely from a career threatening health situation

Disagree. Robert Williams BBIQ better. Better future too.

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2020, 04:40:41 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Explain?? Timelord also at times looks lazy out there. But can recover due to physical gifts...  this doesnt always work

When I watch Giles play he is "involved" and "aware".  He also has a reliable jump shot and good at the FT line

I like Timelord but Giles a little more

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2020, 04:56:35 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Explain?? Timelord also at times looks lazy out there. But can recover due to physical gifts...  this doesnt always work

When I watch Giles play he is "involved" and "aware".  He also has a reliable jump shot and good at the FT line

I think you could argue Timelord has a higher BBIQ because his passing and defence is miles ahead of Giles.

Giles, however, has a scoring arsenal Timelord does not
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2020, 05:02:12 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

I think you could argue Timelord has a higher BBIQ because his passing and defence is miles ahead of Giles.

Not anymore he doesn't. He was an interesting prospect once upon a time, but his lack of athleticism makes it so he can't get separation by the most slow-footed defenders. When he can load up, he can finish alley-oops. Frankly, he's only slightly more athletic than Theis at this point, but with way less of a feel for the game. It's frustrating to be sure. I'd love for it to be different, but he just isn't ever gonna be a scorer.

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2020, 05:24:20 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Not anymore he doesn't. He was an interesting prospect once upon a time, but his lack of athleticism makes it so he can't get separation by the most slow-footed defenders. When he can load up, he can finish alley-oops. Frankly, he's only slightly more athletic than Theis at this point, but with way less of a feel for the game. It's frustrating to be sure. I'd love for it to be different, but he just isn't ever gonna be a scorer.

Timelord or Giles?