Author Topic: Ball for Brown?  (Read 9232 times)

Ball for Brown?
« on: July 25, 2019, 02:46:44 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
Would you approve of this trade (assume the incoming pick is top 3 protected):

http://tradenba.com/trades/H1nJR6LMH

- Epic transitional backcourt at times with Kemba at the 2 and Ball as the 1 (although Kemba starts at the 1 and Smart at the 2).

- With Ball and Smart, we almost always have a lock-down defender in our backcourt to complement Kemba’s offensive game.

- Depth at PG: Kemba and Lonzo with Smart spelling them when one is hurt.

- There is only one ball so we could use a pass-first/strong defender guard more than a wing who is redundant relative to Tatum, particularly with our top scorer being Kemba and Tatum poised to be the number two guy.

- We lose a better scorer in Brown, but Ball is superior defensively and certainly at passing.

- This would signal to Tatum he’s the man after Kemba and can become THE man if he seizes the opportunity.

- No more pseudo-intellectualism in Boston.

- Ball is on a cost-controlled contract one year longer than Brown. Whereas Brown is getting a max in 2020, Ball is more likely to get a Smart-esque contract in 2021, potentially giving us greater flexibility in free agency in 2021, and certainly lowering the probability of exceeding the tax in 2021-2022.

- Ball will be intrinsically motivated to become an all-time great Celtic after being banished by the Lakers. Let’s not forget Pierce was a lifelong Lakers fan before coming to Boston, so I’d love to repeat that cycle.

- Heir apparent to Kemba in four years.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 02:51:56 AM by GreenlyGreeny »

Re: Ball for Brown?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 02:49:07 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
We're giving draft compensation for the Pelicans to upgrade from Ball to Brown??? Sounds like a Suns move than a Celtics move.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 02:50:53 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
We're giving draft compensation for the Pelicans to upgrade from Ball to Brown??? Sounds like a Suns move than a Celtics move.

We’re also getting the Pelicans’ top 3 protected pick in that trade.

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2019, 02:59:30 AM »

Offline greenrunsdeep41

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 152
Non-sense, pure garbage. I wish posts like this could light themselves on fire as they are being typed.

Its borderline offensive to call Jaylen Brown a "pseudo-intellectual." Im sure youll get all hot and bothered by my millenial "offensive" talk, but the man deserves credit for his actual intellectual pursuits. He is not a mensa member, and i disagree with many of his opinions regarding contemporary discourse, but give me a break, the dude is truly ambitious.

For Lonzo Ball of all people? This has got to be a troll job.
2019 Historical Draft - Golden State

C - Bill Russell/Joel Embiid
PF - Giannis Antetokounmpo/Tommy Heinsohn
SF - Kevin Durant/Billy Cunningham
SG - Bruce Bowen/David Thompson
PG - Isiah Thomas/James Harden

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2019, 03:19:22 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Non-sense, pure garbage. I wish posts like this could light themselves on fire as they are being typed.

Its borderline offensive to call Jaylen Brown a "pseudo-intellectual." Im sure youll get all hot and bothered by my millenial "offensive" talk, but the man deserves credit for his actual intellectual pursuits. He is not a mensa member, and i disagree with many of his opinions regarding contemporary discourse, but give me a break, the dude is truly ambitious.

Brown may be smart and engage in intellectual pursuits, but he is not an intellectual. He has not chosen that path, at least not yet. I really do not understand why there is a need to label smart athletes as intellectual when they have not chosen that path. I know there is a stereotype of dumb jock that athletes may contend with from time to time, but there is a wide gap between intelligent and intellectual.

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2019, 03:48:53 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
God no
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2019, 04:50:30 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Ball and Ingram are busts!

End of story.

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2019, 05:33:35 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Would you approve of this trade (assume the incoming pick is top 3 protected):

NO!!!!!HECK NO!

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2019, 05:40:55 AM »

Offline maklin

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
what about the other ball... the nut ball? :D you really wanna put up with lavar here in Boston?
Disappointment is anger for wimps.

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2019, 06:07:59 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
what about the other ball... the nut ball? :D you really wanna put up with lavar here in Boston?
If LaMelo will be part of that package I'm down for it as long we get both picks we're sending out of the deal, and get a couple extra unprotected firsts.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2019, 06:29:48 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Lavar says " NO!"

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2019, 06:33:53 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
First thought is not for Ball but it does make some sense, is he really that good on D?

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2019, 06:59:09 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144

Brown may be smart and engage in intellectual pursuits, but he is not an intellectual. He has not chosen that path, at least not yet. I really do not understand why there is a need to label smart athletes as intellectual when they have not chosen that path. I know there is a stereotype of dumb jock that athletes may contend with from time to time, but there is a wide gap between intelligent and intellectual.

So he isnt an intellectual because he chose a career path that will net him the most money possible?

Side note.

How do you feel about brian may? Legendary guitarist for queen who after making many many albums, git his doctorate is astro physics and has published books under the topic.

Was he a psuedo intellectual until he got the doctorate?

What about dolf lundgren. Multiple master degrees and by all accounts has a certifiable genious level iq but makes grade c and b level action flicks?

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2019, 11:26:37 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm really not interested in Lonzo Ball.  At all.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2019, 11:29:25 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Ball needs to show he can shoot in a functional matter and stay on the court before I'd invest anything in him.

He's shown flashes of talent and productivity, but you can't have a TS .463 and be a rotation player.