Poll

Would you execute the trade outlined in the scenario below?

Yes
3 (15.8%)
No
16 (84.2%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: Hypothetical 2020 Trade Deadline Scenario  (Read 3080 times)

Hypothetical 2020 Trade Deadline Scenario
« on: July 05, 2019, 04:11:31 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
We are competing for one of the final four playoff slots. Kemba is the only Celtic going to the all-star game, so Brown and Tatum missed the mark. Meanwhile, KAT is infuriated with the woeful performance of the T-Wolves, who are competing with the Suns to not have the worst record in the West. Following AD’s lead, he is demanding a trade mid-season to a big franchise. Do you execute this trade at the deadline, or even after a lackluster playoff performance following us matching Brown’s best offer (note: KAT will only be 24 and not a FA until 2024 hence the volume of picks and three young prospects):

http://tradenba.com/trades/HkehAmaeS

I say we do it, so we can head into 2020-2021 with Kemba, KAT, Hayward, Smart, the Memphis pick, R. Williams, G. Williams, Theis, maybe Kanter with KAT at PF (or another MLE big man if Kanter opts out). Sign Crowder, Turner and Jerebko to one year deals to finish the roster. If Hayward returns to form, we’ve got a Big 3 that could win it all.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 04:32:03 PM by GreenlyGreeny »

Re: Hypothetical 2020 Trade Deadline Scenario
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 04:31:37 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
No. Too rich for my blood.

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 04:32:13 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
First making the all-star game is not the mark of whether you should keep a player.  D'Angelo Russell made the all-star team and there's no way I would have given him 25% Max.  Second KAT would have 3 years left on his contract so he'd have no leverage to get the TWolves to trade him.  Third you're proposing gutting the team of youth and picks to trade for KAT who based on your scenario would have failed yet again to make the TWolves a playoff team. 

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 04:33:24 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
First making the all-star game is not the mark of whether you should keep a player.  D'Angelo Russell made the all-star team and there's no way I would have given him 25% Max.  Second KAT would have 3 years left on his contract so he'd have no leverage to get the TWolves to trade him.  Third you're proposing gutting the team of youth and picks to trade for KAT who based on your scenario would have failed yet again to make the TWolves a playoff team.

The difference is that we would be giving KAT a supporting cast of Kemba, Smart, Hayward and the Memphis pick.

If KAT “pulled an Eric Bledsoe” on the T-Wolves, that would work if the T-Wolves got enough in return.

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2019, 04:46:41 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Is the assumption that:
Philadelphia; Toronto; Milwaukee; nets are clearly above the rest of the est so we are fighting for seeds 5-8?

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2019, 04:52:35 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
Is the assumption that:
Philadelphia; Toronto; Milwaukee; nets are clearly above the rest of the est so we are fighting for seeds 5-8?

Don’t forget about the Pacers.

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2019, 04:57:48 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

The difference is that we would be giving KAT a supporting cast of Kemba, Smart, Hayward and the Memphis pick.

If KAT “pulled an Eric Bledsoe” on the T-Wolves, that would work if the T-Wolves got enough in return.
The Memphis pick would be gone in a KAT trade.  Kemba and Hayward would both be 30 so there wouldn't be much time to make a contender.  Hayward may still be a shell of his former self.  If the trade was made, we'd still be competing for a bottom half of the playoff spot not a contender. 

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2019, 05:03:46 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I would like a few more details rather than Tatum and Brown not making the All-Star team. If both have stagnated and aren't proving much in the way of future stardom, then sure, I would make the trade. KAT would be under contract for several more years and would be a clear upgrade over those two (again, assuming both have stagnated). It would be more important to lock down one young perennial All-Star over two players who aren't showing that potential, regardless of the ages of the rest of the players.

I don't anticipate this curve for both Tatum and Brown, just showing a scenario where I would trade them both. If they both come out and are awesome this year, but just don't make the AS team, then no, I don't trade both of them in a deal.

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2019, 05:10:15 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Is the assumption that:

Don’t forget about the Pacers.
When will oladipo be back?
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2019, 05:11:00 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
Putting aside the hypothetical KAT is just now starting a 5 year contract extension on the 25% max. It it probably the most value added max in the league. He is 23. He could kill somebody life on TV at half time of the home opener then demand a trade and he still wouldnt be moved.

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2019, 02:17:22 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
We are competing for one of the final four playoff slots. Kemba is the only Celtic going to the all-star game, so Brown and Tatum missed the mark. Meanwhile, KAT is infuriated with the woeful performance of the T-Wolves, who are competing with the Suns to not have the worst record in the West. Following AD’s lead, he is demanding a trade mid-season to a big franchise. Do you execute this trade at the deadline, or even after a lackluster playoff performance following us matching Brown’s best offer (note: KAT will only be 24 and not a FA until 2024 hence the volume of picks and three young prospects):

http://tradenba.com/trades/HkehAmaeS

I say we do it, so we can head into 2020-2021 with Kemba, KAT, Hayward, Smart, the Memphis pick, R. Williams, G. Williams, Theis, maybe Kanter with KAT at PF (or another MLE big man if Kanter opts out). Sign Crowder, Turner and Jerebko to one year deals to finish the roster. If Hayward returns to form, we’ve got a Big 3 that could win it all.

Absolutely.

This is basically the haul the Celts would've given up for Davis, and Towns is just as good, younger and under team control for alot longer. With Davis off the table, I have to think Towns is Ainge's next big trade target.

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2019, 02:19:42 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Is the assumption that:

With Towns, the Celts are better than Philly and slightly only trail Milwaukee in the East.

Brooklyn and Toronto wouldn't even come close to us

Brooklyn and Toronto???? Really?

Is it you don't think the Celts are a good team or you just don't want to see us go deep in the playoffs?

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2019, 02:23:09 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

The Memphis pick would be gone in a KAT trade.  Kemba and Hayward would both be 30 so there wouldn't be much time to make a contender.  Hayward may still be a shell of his former self.  If the trade was made, we'd still be competing for a bottom half of the playoff spot not a contender.

KG was 32, Pierce was 30 and Ray was 33 in '08 when we won the title. They made it back to the finals 2 years later and had alot of bad luck along the way. They could've easily won 3 titles in a row.

The idea that you have to have a team of 25 year olds and under to be competitive is borderline ridiculous.

Do we want to compete or just have a warm and fuzzy team of young-ins?

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2019, 02:49:57 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I think Towns is vastly overrated on this board, a good notch below Anthony Davis, Embiid and Freak. Not interested.

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2019, 03:34:35 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
I think Towns is vastly overrated on this board, a good notch below Anthony Davis, Embiid and Freak. Not interested.

Duly noted.